Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
S14_ShyGuy

Trader Rating: (0)
S14_ShyGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kadena, Misawa, or Yokota

I started this thread to see how easy or difficult it is to get a Skyline, Silvia or 180sx in Japan.

The reason I am asking is because within the next few months, I will be finishing tech school and will then be stationed at an AFB. I will be hoping to get Japan (Either of the 3 major bases) and was going to look into getting a car. And if you know, which of the 3 has the biggest tuner scene and is the better place to go?

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's stupid posting this and asking but if anyone knows, let me know so I don't get my hopes up and have them crushed or I actually have something to look forward to

S14_ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
demonspeed
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
demonspeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i know the rules have changed since ive been there (03-05) but if they havent, you have to get your license and then buy your car...or be a dumbass like me and buy your car and drive it semi-illegally (i had a world travelers license haha...couldnt do shit to me) I was near Kadena AFB...it was pretty laid back...
demonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
demonspeed
Zilvia Junkie

And all the cars you listed are like hondas in price. I bought my first car for 2000 bucks....1989 nissan Skyline GTS-T with rims, exhaust, coilovers, and three sets of drift tires
Old 05-23-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The guys in Misawa are pretty chill, but there isn't much else up there.
I like Yokota because of how close it is to other bigger cities in mainland.
I'd say Kadena/Okinawa as a whole has a pretty good scene.
Just don't get caught being stupid in the streets.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 AM   #5
Feast Japan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
Feast Japan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Have a bunch of friends at Yakota AFB. We normally get together on weekends and lap the C1 Circuit lol.

One of the guys just picked up an S15 from my company. He's planning to shove an LS1 in it real soon. Bit of a joint venture between him and another guy + help from Hey Man Garage (Shinji).

I can help you out if you are near or around the Kanto area. Perhaps take you to the auction house to find something real nice which matches your preferences if any. Of course there's probably a lot of junk on the bases too. Sadly many cars go to shit when dumb ass newb's touch them.
Feast Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:20 AM   #6
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
HYPNOTIK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to HYPNOTIK
You can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a Skyline at Kadena.
Autos for sale in Okinawa Japan
JU Classifieds

Local Forums
zeroyon.com
blacklinux.com/innersanctum
Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #7
Toi
Zilvia Member

Toi is an unknown quantity at this point
Misawa has a good scene we just avoid any association with American can clubs like the plague, they are our source of wrecked second hand parts if you catch my drift.

Also you should get your orders in a month.....

If you get Misawa look up Gaijindrift, if you get Okinawa lookup Zeroyon....
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
S14_ShyGuy

Thanks for all the info. I was reading some other Zilvia forums saying that Okinawa itself has a great scene. I imagined Tokyo would have the biggest since it's the biggest city and I would assume has the biggest population?

If I am fortunate enough to go, I would not act stupid on the streets with a car. I'm just looking to get something that is rare or near impossible to get in the states. You know, Silvia, Skyline. The cars that people here in the states would drool over.

Is it true also that Mustangs in Japan are the equivalent to, let's say a Skyline in the states? That the rarity and cost are both high
Old 05-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #9
S14_ShyGuy

And just for personal records, how expensive are Skylines and Silvias?
Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #10
Toi
Zilvia Member

Depends on what you want....You can get an R32 for $6k or less most of the time, S14s and S13s can be had cheap too.

R33, R34, S15 are all still pretty pricey we are talking 10k or more and NO you won't be taking one of those back with you......If its not on the list the Military will laugh at you if you even bring the idea up!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
MisawaJason
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (13)
MisawaJason is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Misawa is the shit. I was there for 6 years, and was forced to leave kicking and screaming. They opened up a track about 30 minutes away from the base. It's pretty kick ass.

You can get a car there very easily. Great group of guys there as well. Cant go wrong with misawa. What's your career field anyways?
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #12
S14_ShyGuy

Cyber Transport Systems. At the moment, I have 2 months left before I leave for basic training, but I like to look ahead and see what I can get into before I move somewhere. Considering that Japan has 3 bases, I'm bound to get 1 of them right? Haha One can only hope.

And yes, I know I won't be able to take one back with me. But it would be great to have one while I am there. Is it likely to take an STi back home? :-)

What kind of vehicles are on the list? haha
Old 05-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #13
astigsmo

astigsmo is an unknown quantity at this point
^^Agreed Misawa is a pretty chill base minus the pile of snow youll have on whatever car you decide to buy..Summer time is nice as hell just get off base and get lost, literally..But if i had my choice itll be Yokota..
astigsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 PM   #14
S14_ShyGuy

My first will be Yokota, then Kadena, then Misawa. Just talking about it makes me excited and I'm not even there yet haha
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
astigsmo

astigsmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Not to rain on your parade of excitement bro but you know how the AF works a little right? They'll stick you where they pretty much need you, just hope your career field needs manning in JP.
astigsmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:34 PM   #16
S14_ShyGuy

Yeah I understand how it works, but you do get to fill out your wishlist and they do try to work with that right? But, like I said, I'm hoping there is room for me. I was told Cyber Transport can be put anywhere.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #17
Toi
Zilvia Member

Just take the parts man people are driving bug eyes now but thats about as new as they get....
Old 05-24-2011, 03:48 PM   #18
S14_ShyGuy

Oh well, I'll just enjoy whatever car I can get haha
Old 05-25-2011, 03:04 AM   #19
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Put Yokota, Misawa and then Kadena. Car scene in Kadena isnt what it used to be. Barely anybody goes out driving nowadays and its been pretty quiet the last year before I left. Only thing going is going to our "track" half the size of a wal-mart parking lot.

You said Cyber Transport...Cable Dawg? If you are, you have a HIGH chance of going to Kadena since that shop is fucking huge. PM me if you got questions, I just left the Comm Squadron there.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:46 AM   #20
S14_ShyGuy

I read that Okinawa has a huge scene but now you say it's dying? That's depressing.

For those of you who are in the AF, how often do you get to leave the base and do your own stuff within the city? I've got a lot of questions haha

What I'm looking forward to most (aside from the base and lifestyle), is meeting people at car meets or in clubs and making friends outside the base and being involved.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #21
demonspeed
Zilvia Junkie

whaaaat?! the Oki scene died down? Damn that IS depressing. I learned how to drift at the docks with a SSgt there (USMC) If you do go to Kadena, go to a resturant called Mei House around 1 or 2 am on fridays and saturdays. There used to be a gangload of japanese guys in sick ass lowriders...impalas, regals, monte carlos....theyre pretty cool although they couldnt speak english that well...
Old 05-25-2011, 08:25 AM   #22
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Okinawa got bad when i left in 2008, I was there before they did that liberty card BS and curfew and moving everybody back on base, and banning ppl from going to Drift events.Oki was the heat before all that, although it didnt affect me much cuz I had a bunch of Local National freinds and we'd go party far away from the bases and out all night drift sessions with the locals.But they def started crackin down hard when i was leaving. You couldnt even just watch the locals street race in Mizugama with out OSI tryin to bust ya.Id go back in heart beat though, but would rather be a Civilian.but Im try to go back right now cuz I hate this shit hole is LA
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #23
Toi
Zilvia Member

Wow were any of you there when Aja and Cinaga were the place to be? Between 96 ~ 99 those joints were the shit.....Packed like crazy......

The same happened to Misawa, Hachinohe ports used to be the place to go....That place is SHUT down, you never see anyone out there anymore.....Now its Rokunohe, Aomori, and a few other UNDISCLOSED locations....
Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #24
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
I lived in okinawa on kinser from 96-2000 (super young obviously)
And I used to hear the cars at aja. Just the sound fueled my love for cars.

And when I lived in Misawa I was talking to this guy that was talking about how he used to go to the ports a lot.
My friend used to drive around lake towada, I never went with him though.

Adding on:

I just realized I've come full circle in life, at least location wise.
I started going to daycare on kinser. And here I am first year of college done, typing this on kinser.
Also I started actual school at kadena and graduated from kadena high (even though i went to edgren for all except the last quarter)
I'm probably going to be enlisting soon, and hope I can get sent back over here.

/endcoolstory
Old 05-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #25
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Mizugama has been dead for years...once in a while you'd have cars out there racing but that only goes on for a few minutes before the cops roll thru now. Sometimes, they even leave an empty cop car with the cherries on just to spook people from dragging down Mizugama. Aja has been dead, even the locals dont go out there any more. They keep putting up new barriers and grip tape all over the place. Senega has been closed down for years, atleast going up the hills, they literally closed off that road. All you have is the road that goes around the island. I knew folks who would drift around that shit, but if you fuck up, you're going for a swim. For a while they were dragging out at Ikei but that shits been dead too. Shit, even Custom Nights at JUSCO is done. JUSCO finally had enough and started closing off that side of the parking lot early to keep folks from hanging out. Car shops closing down due to lack of business and shitty exchange rates. Folks are basically retiring from fucking around cars in general. The select few who still drives rarely comes out nowadays or have traded their shits for 4 door sedans. You wont find the 30-50 cars doing trains around a corner or having 5 sets of cars lining up on Mizugama shit in the heydays.

Most of the time now, people just go out on their own or just call up a couple of cars and just hit up all the places at once and just bounce from one place to another. Basically just cruise around the island, go to their favorite spots, hit it a couple of times or so, then bounce to a different spot. JPs wont do shit unless you are caught in the act...plus most folks will just run and JPs know better than to chase you down. As long as you stop and leave for the most part, they aint gonna fuck with you too much. There are spots up north that people go to but those are a trek and a half away. And if you crash, sucks to be you because it wont be cheap to get that shit towed out and back.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #26
yokotavia
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
yokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enoughyokotavia will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via MSN to yokotavia
I was a dependent at yokota for almost 5 years. you can get an r32 for super fucking cheap. im talking like 1500 USD stock. there are retards on base who put exhaust and intakes on them and try to sell them for like 5k. not worth it.

s13's are everywhere too, i still have a few friends at yokota. they still all go to ebisu/nikko like once a month and are always at the hobby shop onbase
Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #27
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Damn its worse than I thought, Is Sanzyou's still open? I was hoping to hit up that shop when I go to visit in Aug. I remember right before I left me and my buddy went out to Aja with some wrenches and pulled up the cones they bolted down in the middle of the road and opened it up for a bit haha
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit

Last edited by Sileighty_85; 05-25-2011 at 06:09 PM..
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:10 PM   #28
HYPNOTIK
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
HYPNOTIK is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to HYPNOTIK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Damn its worse than I thought, Is Sanzyou's still open? I was hoping to hit up that shop when I go to visit in Aug. I remember right before I left me and my buddy went out to Aja with some wrenches and pulled up the cones they bolted down in the middle of the road and opened it up for a bit haha
Nope, they closed a couple months ago.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #29
S14_ShyGuy

Wow, my heart is racing just thinking about going out to Japan. Reading these stories is amazing and depressing. It seems like cars just aren't the same anymore. The import/tuner scene in Nor. California is almost dead. So. California is better but bigger scene means more busts from cops.

For those of you who either live or are stationed in Japan, can you PM me? I got a lot of questions and maybe yall can help me and give me the inside scoop lol

Feel free to keep posting stories. :-)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 PM   #30
Toi
Zilvia Member

Damn shame.....I remember when they first put the grip tape out at Aja, so everyone moved out on the port. Dudes were sliding under the trailers spectators were standing on....

People would flash the lights if someone lost it, and one car would come hauling balls through the area if the cops were coming......Ahhh yea the good times