Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 PM   #18031
R3b
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
R3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond reputeR3b has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where would a setup a vacuum line for my boost gauge to my manifold for better boost reading, right now I have a line coming from my bov.
R3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 06:09 AM   #18032
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkilburn View Post
All I'm asking for is basic where to look shit, man. There's no need to rip my fucking car apart looking for god knows what if thousands of other people have already fixed the very same problem on other vehicles. No need for shitty attitude right out the gate, especially when you offer no viable solutions.

The fact that the buzzing intensity and brightness of the light seems tied to the RPM makes me think that something is up with the alternator or a ground associated with the warning light circuit.
Ahhhhhh, now you give even more information about the symptoms.

Your problem is a short in the circuit. Start with the easy stuff, pull the cluster and see if the short is there.
Trace from the alternator to the voltage meter to see if you have a short there. To try to locate the issue, you are going to have to pull the cluster. You could have a bad voltage meter, a short there, or even between the gauge and light in the cluster.
If the alternator is going away, that may be the issue, a bad stator/rotor/brushes etc that is causing a misphase in the circuit.
Either way you look at this issue, you need to pull the cluster to see if your stuff is good there, after checking to see if stuff is good under the hood.

ARE YOU LOW? is your harness tucked right?(this may be your issue, don't know you or your car though) What you describe now, CAN be symptoms of rubbed harness in the fenders. One way or the other, to figure this out, you need your fsm, tools, a multimeter(if rubbed/shorted,, smoked wire isn't obvious), and you have to look for the problem where it can be. The easiest way is by isolating each system, ie, alternator(disconnect from circuit) and cluster(disconnetct) check wires by wire map in fsm to see if they are fine
Old 03-26-2015, 06:29 AM   #18033
ze12o
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (26)
ze12o is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Didn't get an answer through the wheel fitment thread just wanted to post here as well

Will this rub?

Stock camber
255/35/18

18x10 +22

would probably lower it another 1/4 - 1/2 inch more before it's out of the shop

Thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #18034
240PETER

240PETER is an unknown quantity at this point
KA Shops

Alright so ive done some google searching but i just wana make sure i dont miss any. Does anyone know of a good machine shop i can take my ka24de to in so-cal near la?
240PETER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #18035
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
getting my transmission rebuilt with new bearings and synchros and was wondering what fluid should i go with?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:22 PM   #18036
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Redline MT 90.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:23 PM   #18037
juhd
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
juhd is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsy90 View Post
redline mt 90.
75w-90 gl4?
Old 03-26-2015, 05:32 PM   #18038
e1_griego
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (24)
e1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond reputee1_griego has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
yes, that's what mt90 is. That or amsoil gl4.
e1_griego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:56 AM   #18039
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze12o View Post
Didn't get an answer through the wheel fitment thread just wanted to post here as well

Will this rub?

Stock camber
255/35/18

18x10 +22

would probably lower it another 1/4 - 1/2 inch more before it's out of the shop

Thanks in advance
Assuming you are only talking about the rear, your quarter panels are pulled like mine, and you have spring rates of 10/8 kg like my car used to have when I was running 255/40/18s on 18x9.5 +15 wheels: no it won't rub.

But honestly, the best way to find out is to experiment, get results, and if it fails, do the experiment again with different variables. That's what I do.

Amateur photography by me
tacobellman_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:08 PM   #18040
ze12o
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (26)
ze12o is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobellman_2007 View Post
Assuming you are only talking about the rear, your quarter panels are pulled like mine, and you have spring rates of 10/8 kg like my car used to have when I was running 255/40/18s on 18x9.5 +15 wheels: no it won't rub.

But honestly, the best way to find out is to experiment, get results, and if it fails, do the experiment again with different variables. That's what I do.
Thanks! Just wanted to have an general idea. I would test them but all my windows are missing atm and wanted to get an opinion before it's painted
Old 03-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #18041
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ze12o View Post
Thanks! Just wanted to have an general idea. I would test them but all my windows are missing atm and wanted to get an opinion before it's painted
No problem. Feel free to update us in that same post in case another user has the same general setup and question in the future.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #18042
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

What car is on the left here?

I'm 90% sure the one in the middle is a Mazda RX2 after a bunch of searching, right is an AE86 of course, but I can't seem to find anything on the left car. All the cars that pop up don't have the same front end. Thought it might be a Celica or another Mazda, but no luck for me. Thanks guys.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:57 PM   #18043
Adam.G
Leaky Injector

Adam.G is an unknown quantity at this point
I just recently picked up an SR for my S13 with a top mount turbo. I've been looking for some quality aftermarket elbow and downpipe. Can someone please point me in a good direction on where to find some? when i searched only thing i could really find was a website called ProTuningLab.com are they any good? or where else can i find some? I looked on FRSport and Enjuku and didn't see anything really, but maybe i wasn't looking hard enough.
Adam.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:24 AM   #18044
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

I'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to allI'm Redline is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobellman_2007 View Post
What car is on the left here?

I'm 90% sure the one in the middle is a Mazda RX2 after a bunch of searching, right is an AE86 of course, but I can't seem to find anything on the left car. All the cars that pop up don't have the same front end. Thought it might be a Celica or another Mazda, but no luck for me. Thanks guys.
Taco, from the front it looks like an old Datsun 210. Celica's had dual headlights. Your RX2 could be an early RX3 as well. Too bad you don;t have better photos. Old metal kicks ass!(Been thinking about a old Datsun B210 fastback, 1975 or so, with a KA24DE transplant from a 240 for a while now...1700# car...)
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 AM   #18045
Corbic
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic Corbic
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam.G View Post
I just recently picked up an SR for my S13 with a top mount turbo. I've been looking for some quality aftermarket elbow and downpipe. Can someone please point me in a good direction on where to find some? when i searched only thing i could really find was a website called ProTuningLab.com are they any good? or where else can i find some? I looked on FRSport and Enjuku and didn't see anything really, but maybe i wasn't looking hard enough.

Custom Job.

Since there are so many variations on turbo/manifold combinations when dealing with a top-mount your almost always looking at something custom.

Top Mount = Big Power = Big Money
Corbic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:25 PM   #18046
godrifttoday
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (82)
godrifttoday is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 82 reviews
powder coating calipers los angeles?
Old 03-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #18047
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Redline View Post
Taco, from the front it looks like an old Datsun 210. Celica's had dual headlights. Your RX2 could be an early RX3 as well. Too bad you don;t have better photos. Old metal kicks ass!(Been thinking about a old Datsun B210 fastback, 1975 or so, with a KA24DE transplant from a 240 for a while now...1700# car...)
Found out it's a Toyota TE27 "Mango." haha yeah, these old Japanese classic cars are awesome. You should do it! Sounds like it would be a fun project.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:05 AM   #18048
JrDarknes
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
JrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud ofJrDarknes has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
My manual windows were stiff as hell trying to roll down this morning. Tried rolling it back up and my window wasent moving, took off the door card and I see this cable hanging loose. What could be broken??
Old 03-30-2015, 02:58 PM   #18049
David48
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
David48 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Send a message via AIM to David48
So I'm having this issue on an 89 S13 coupe. I've had it before on a 94 vert and an 89 hatch so I know it's some kind of a common problem. The car has a dohc KA swap but I don't believe that's relevant.
Whenever I remove the key, it's like the car still thinks it's in acc mode. The seat belts still retract with the key out when I close the door, and whatever warning lights that are relevant will stay lit on the gauge cluster(seat belt light and ebrake light at least). As I'm writing this I'm beginning to think it's the ign switch so I'm gonna go try replacing that right now.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM   #18050
David48
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by David48 View Post
So I'm having this issue on an 89 S13 coupe. I've had it before on a 94 vert and an 89 hatch so I know it's some kind of a common problem. The car has a dohc KA swap but I don't believe that's relevant.
Whenever I remove the key, it's like the car still thinks it's in acc mode. The seat belts still retract with the key out when I close the door, and whatever warning lights that are relevant will stay lit on the gauge cluster(seat belt light and ebrake light at least). As I'm writing this I'm beginning to think it's the ign switch so I'm gonna go try replacing that right now.
Ign switch did nothing. But now that I think about, none of these 3 cars had functioning radios. Could it have something to do with the radio wiring being hacked up?
Old 03-31-2015, 06:03 AM   #18051
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Ign switch did nothing. But now that I think about, none of these 3 cars had functioning radios. Could it have something to do with the radio wiring being hacked up?
Sounds like a dirty cluster. I took the one out of my 93 SER when it was doing the same thing. You might have a short in your cluster. Open, clean, inspect(use magnifying glass) and you might find a small break in the circuit path. Simply solder it using heat sinks and a micro circuit soldering iron...or you can send it out, but that gets expensive, and everything is available through either nissanpartszone.com or other locations. It's cheaper to replace all the internal parts yourself and buying the small tools to do it
Old 03-31-2015, 08:48 AM   #18052
David48
Zilvia Addict

I know it's not a cluster problem, I've already replaced it with a good working one. The cluster lights staying on is a just a symptom. The real problem is that the car still thinks that it's in ACC mode even when the key is out.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM   #18053
smoove

smoove is an unknown quantity at this point
hey guys had a quick question on oil pan pros and cons. I've searched and cant find much topic on keeping factory over aftermarket. I'm building an s13 sr and am not going to track it so I was wondering if there is any real benefit with going aftermarket. I've read that the sr's weak point is oil pick up so I have gone with the s14 pick up, but need some input on oil pan. Thanks in advanced.
smoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:30 PM   #18054
jmax240
Leaky Injector

jmax240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know if the plastic tubes on the heater core are the same for an S13 or S14? I know the heater cores are different but I'm wondering if the tubes are the same or bolt up the same even if they have slightly different angles out of the firewall.

Thanks,

Old 03-31-2015, 09:28 PM   #18055
Cold Sake

Cold Sake is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys, have a question because im stumped, have been working on an idle/timing problem. replaced iacv, then tps and it finally idiling correctly. anyway was doing the timing w/o maf plugged in and a buddy of mine gave it some throttle and it died. it wont turn on anymore. it was running rich so i left it alone for a weekend thinking it might be flooded, tried to do the timing today and it still wouldnt start. any ideas on what to do?? She will crank but wont turn over, im trynna get it out of my buddys drive way and home lol
Cold Sake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #18056
brandenkenn

brandenkenn is an unknown quantity at this point
s13 New motor

So I'm pretty sure my s13's ka24de developed a rod knock today, and I'm just going to swap a new engine after I make sure it is a rod knock. I'm in college and I'm on a tight budget. Obviously, another ka24de is probably the cheapest swap, but does anyone else have any suggestions? I was considering a 2jz-ge from an is300, or even something crazy like the 302 my dad already owns (free engines are always a good possibility), although it would probably be very complicated. Let me know what you guys think
brandenkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #18057
Lompang
Leaky Injector

Lompang is an unknown quantity at this point
Would these spark plugs be good for a KA24DET running at 10 PSI on a T28? Should I get 6 on my setup?
Lompang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 AM   #18058
Slicerwolf
Leaky Injector

Slicerwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
My car is building boost according the gauge (oddly early too) but it's like the car stops accelerating when I go under boost.
Slicerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:57 AM   #18059
Slicerwolf
Leaky Injector

Slicerwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Also it's over boosting and staying at lower RPMS if I fully depress the throttle.
Slicerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #18060
I'm Redline
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
I know it's not a cluster problem, I've already replaced it with a good working one. The cluster lights staying on is a just a symptom. The real problem is that the car still thinks that it's in ACC mode even when the key is out.
You'll need to pull the key barrel, and maybe even the steering stalk. More than likely it's the barrel. A new set is $300+, and finding a good used set that isn;t in a working car is not easy, but doable if you need to swap them out. Other option is SOME locksmiths are good enough to refresh them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoove View Post
hey guys had a quick question on oil pan pros and cons. I've searched and cant find much topic on keeping factory over aftermarket. I'm building an s13 sr and am not going to track it so I was wondering if there is any real benefit with going aftermarket. I've read that the sr's weak point is oil pick up so I have gone with the s14 pick up, but need some input on oil pan. Thanks in advanced.
SR weak point is in the head. Rocker stops, and stronger parts will give you reliability and prevent your valvetrain from busting when you screw up a downshift. As to the oil pan, anytime you can go bigger, it is worth it. Engine runs cooler, but make sure you get one with good baffles for hard cornering or launches...and don't say you won't do this, because you know you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax240 View Post
Anyone know if the plastic tubes on the heater core are the same for an S13 or S14? I know the heater cores are different but I'm wondering if the tubes are the same or bolt up the same even if they have slightly different angles out of the firewall.

Thanks,

FMS's show those to be the same part from 93 - 96( '93 Sentra SER, 96 zenki, 97 kouki all show the same part although numbers are updated)

hit up nissanpartszone.com to find it