Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Is this something to worry about?

So when I reinstalled my transmission and driveshaft a few months ago, I noticed the carrier bearing is able to move up about a half inch if I push hard enough, right where the bracket is. I have to put a considerable amount of force to move it up, and it means moving the trans. with it a tiny bit.

Here is a video I took. Yes, that is my dog breathing in the background
C Bearing Video by Thursday7 | Photobucket
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
dawagarage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
this is coming from the datsun 620 (truck) community, where just about every single 620 owner has their carrier bearing BUSHING/INSULATOR (not the actual bearing itself.) is deteriorated/non existant.

what that will do is allow the driveshafts to clank around inside the insulator housing, but it will smooth out once you get going/up to a certain rpm. this is bad because it will put undue stress/wear on your u-joints, and youll have to replace them sooner.

HOWEVER! your insulator is still there which is whats important. it has a little play, and i dont know what the high tolerance for play is but i would say its good and nothing to worry about.

also, next time try to have the camera more steady so we can actually see how much it is moving

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Thursday7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Thursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfectionThursday7 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboiblaze View Post
this is coming from the datsun 620 (truck) community, where just about every single 620 owner has their carrier bearing BUSHING/INSULATOR (not the actual bearing itself.) is deteriorated/non existant.

what that will do is allow the driveshafts to clank around inside the insulator housing, but it will smooth out once you get going/up to a certain rpm. this is bad because it will put undue stress/wear on your u-joints, and youll have to replace them sooner.

HOWEVER! your insulator is still there which is whats important. it has a little play, and i dont know what the high tolerance for play is but i would say its good and nothing to worry about.

also, next time try to have the camera more steady so we can actually see how much it is moving
lol, yeah, I had to rest the camera on my face because 2 arms were needed to move the driveshaft. But yeah, I found that the upper piece of the driveshaft carrier bracket just isn't there.
Thursday7 is offline   Reply With Quote