Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-08-2008, 06:27 PM   #601
TigWiz

Trader Rating: (0)
TigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just a manifold I made this week. Next week i'll document the entire process with another manifold. Hope you like.

SR20 Manifold

Nick
TigWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2008, 07:17 PM   #602
DisEpyon
Zilvia Junkie

DisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to beholdDisEpyon is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to DisEpyon
any chance you can describe how you welded it together, as in did you weld the runners one at a time on a jig then weld them to the flanges? which runners did you attach first?

Im trying to learn on fabbing up manifolds, so any info will help me greatly, every one has there own ways but all info helps.
DisEpyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:06 PM   #603
TigWiz

TigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura aboutTigWiz has a spectacular aura about
I'm going to be making a write up from start to finish. If you would like more details though email me and i'll help you out. NTomczak @ hotmail .com
Old 05-08-2008, 10:09 PM   #604
Boostedkouki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Boostedkouki is making a name for him/her selfBoostedkouki is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boostedkouki
^^^ Fagboy!!!
Boostedkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 PM   #605
TigWiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedkouki View Post
^^^ Fagboy!!!
you're the one that likes to swing his racket....lol
Old 05-08-2008, 10:23 PM   #606
Boostedkouki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Boostedkouki is making a name for him/her selfBoostedkouki is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Boostedkouki
Jealous i see!!!
Boostedkouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #607
blu808
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blu808
Holy crap. Nice work Nick. That manifold looks awesome. Are you planning to sell these? Any specs? Please post up your build pics.

Luke
Old 05-09-2008, 06:10 AM   #608
TigWiz

If anybody is interested in one for their car I can build another one. It is made of 304ss with 1/2 inch cnc machined flanges. If anybody is really interested email me at jeweleng @ gmail .com I don't want to bug the mods on here.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:53 PM   #609
TougeLabs
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (7)
TougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to beholdTougeLabs is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TougeLabs
That manifold is pro man nice job looks really well built looks like mine
TougeLabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #610
Swerv13
Leaky Injector

Swerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enough
ok i have been real busy but now i can post a few recent projects....

this first one is a 32 ford coupe we are building at the shop. This is our prototype/mule car for the beginning of a production of 32s to be kicked off. this chassis will be tested with several different powertrains....including a diesel duramax engine. alot of options come into mind with that setup.

I helped with the frame boxing, mounts, and even some sheet metal work. i had little experience with sheet metal before all of this, but at this shop i will have alot.

the engine was placed to simulate loads and such while finishing the frames structual rigity.

here is the rear end.....inboard disk brakes! this is a pretty sweet setup.

front and rear suspension/engine mounts are all tacked in during mockup....looks good?

All welded in....good welds but they will be cleaned up for bondo and paint for a seamless frame.

all the panels are tacked, now its ready for the body expert!

ok frame is all finished and the first engine to run this 32 is in. alot of chrome for my taste, but i think the horsepower numbers should cancel that out?

wheels and tires mounted now we are just waiting for the body!

ok i have more to post, ill do that asap!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #611
burnsauto
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (6)
burnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfectionburnsauto is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to burnsauto
wow...don't really see a lot of inboard setups, awesome though
Old 05-10-2008, 07:12 PM   #612
driftstyre
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (4)
driftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond reputedriftstyre has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to driftstyre
Woah...that chassis with the blown motor on it is pretty crazy looking. Cool
driftstyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #613
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigWiz View Post
Just a manifold I made this week. Next week i'll document the entire process with another manifold. Hope you like.

SR20 Manifold

Nick
Saw one of these in person! Amazing quality - good stuff Nick - Thanks again fer ur help
Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 AM   #614
mugendork
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
mugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond reputemugendork has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Ervin, nice stuff man, I would have to say your move to Vegas was a wise one! Those inboard brakes remind me of Humvees, I hated changing out those calipers! Anyways give me a call!
mugendork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #615
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Here's what my TIG skills are like... Actually they are a little weak still since it's been so damn long.

Here are some quick beads I threw together today.

Please note, that I DID NOT use proper cleaning techniques because I was in a hurry to get out by lunch today. So these are not my best, lol

All welds done with 3/32' 2% Thoriated Tungsten and 3/32" filler rod. All welds performed on 1/4" thick mild steel in a tee shape.

Here's a quick multi pass overhead I threw together today. Done in the verticle up position.

These are not perfect. However,I hadn't eaten today so I was kinda shakey today.

Here's a sinlge pass done in the verticle up position.
TIG welds should be this tight!!!

Single pass overhead.

Multi-pass done in verticle up.
Note: This was done to simply show all 3 beads.

Another overhead.

Verticle up. A little slow.

Horizontal done to slow. Far to slow and they really shouldn't be this spread out!
Note: the other welds are NOT mine.
This was done to show how they shouldn't be spread out so much.

A much to slow Overhead.

A shakey mutli-pass verticla up.
Nickle used for a size reference.

I knwo these aren't really nice fabriation piece. I just thought there could be another TIG welder in here! lol.
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:44 PM   #616
Xracer
Zilvia Addict

Xracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to beholdXracer is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Xracer
what the, the first ones look like machine. thats crazy.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:23 AM   #617
blu808
Post Whore!

blu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfectionblu808 is close to perfection
Very cool ! thanks for posting those pics. What machine are you using? any pics of stainless or aluminum welds?

Luke
Old 05-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #618
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
what the, the first ones look like machine. thats crazy.
Haha! No machine there... Just some flesh and bone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu808 View Post
Very cool ! thanks for posting those pics. What machine are you using? any pics of stainless or aluminum welds?

Luke
Thermalarc something or other.
I don't have any pics of SS or ALU at the moment.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #619
Swerv13
Leaky Injector

Swerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enoughSwerv13 will become famous soon enough
okay heres some more stuff. puttin in patch panels on a 68 cutlas whatever 440...the owner is so cheap...anyways here it is...

cuttin out the floor, i used the plasma cutter....thats what my boss always says "just use the plasma!"

ok now just cutting some sheet metal for the floor replacement spots

roughly bending this panel to match the floor

Laying out the bead lines and other bends...

and now to roll the beads into the panels, its pretty easy actually.

duplicating this small piece was fun! first making the cut for the sharpest corner and then welding it up, and clean up!

then I welded the panels into the floor, pretty good fitment for what the owner wants.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #620
blu808
Post Whore!

Wow. Thats some great sheet metal work. Always nice to see someone know what they are doing.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:29 AM   #621
IIIXziuR
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (22)
IIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfectionIIIXziuR is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Nice Floor pan repairs!
Just curious, what gauge of metal did you use?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #622
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I just boxed a set of toe arms in and switched the bushings. My last set were aftermaret ones from circuit sport, but the pillow ball bushings were toast. I think these will be just as rigid/stong and are cheap to make.
huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #623
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
I just boxed a set of toe arms in and switched the bushings. My last set were aftermaret ones from circuit sport, but the pillow ball bushings were toast. I think these will be just as rigid/stong and are cheap to make.
Not too bad... but if you still have the old toe arms, you can replace the heim joint with a great unit (comparable to the Aurora joint used in Battle Version/etc arms) from Midwest Control for about $12. I don't know how low you are, but my toe is craaazy off without my adjustable arms.

Those TIG welds look soooo good. I did some angle-stock welds with the MIG I was using, but the wire was too thick (5/32" I believe) and a shit MIG welder with 20% duty cycle doesn't make for nice long beads. Anyhow, good to see some more nice stuff!

And that sheet metal floor repair is awesome! Looks pro ~

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 02:41 PM   #624
naed240sx
Zilvia Member

naed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the roughnaed240sx is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
[/IMG]
What is the point in boxing stock stamped control arms? The only thing that matters is strength in tension, and cross bracing like that doesn't add any tensional strength.
naed240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:25 PM   #625
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Quote:
Originally Posted by naed240sx View Post
What is the point in boxing stock stamped control arms? The only thing that matters is strength in tension, and cross bracing like that doesn't add any tensional strength.
It's not just tension, it's compression as well. And with stock bushings, there needs to be some resistance to buckling and bending due to how the bushing loads. I'm not saying that that bracing it really necessary, but it can increase the strength of the arm.

Any arm that does not have rod ends/spherical bearing at both ends is not a pure tension/compression member. Even a pure tension compression member needs to have resistance to buckling, but there would be no moment generated at the mounting point becasue of the bushings.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #626
atutt
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Not too bad... but if you still have the old toe arms, you can replace the heim joint with a great unit (comparable to the Aurora joint used in Battle Version/etc arms) from Midwest Control for about $12. I don't know how low you are, but my toe is craaazy off without my adjustable arms.

Those TIG welds look soooo good. I did some angle-stock welds with the MIG I was using, but the wire was too thick (5/32" I believe) and a shit MIG welder with 20% duty cycle doesn't make for nice long beads. Anyhow, good to see some more nice stuff!

And that sheet metal floor repair is awesome! Looks pro ~
If you are refering to mine, then thank you.

Dare I even mention those were my first ever Verticle ups and Overheads? lol I was actually pleased with the result for being the firsts of both. Definately not my best beads though.

Those are not angle-stocks though. They are 3 pieces of 1/4'' thick mild cold rolled steel.

What welder has a 20% duty cycle? that's like a convienence store welder, lol.

I'm gonna try and get sone stainless and aluminium welds done this week. I don't have a whole lot of time to dick around making scrap tee's to weld.

Only reason I post stuff from scrap steel is because I can't bring the other peices home. Due to their size. I also won't bring my Nikon D80 any where near the shop due to all the magnetic fields and high frequencies... lol

Last edited by atutt; 05-26-2008 at 05:26 PM..
Old 05-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #627
luisgonz
BANNED

Trader Rating: (6)
luisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfectionluisgonz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to luisgonz
This is something I found out, I've had these a/c dryers from alot part outs and front clips. I always wanted to know whats in there. So I decided to cut one Open and I found out its hallow and I can make it in to a Radiator breather tanks and add some -an fittings and It can be pimp looking better then the Greddy piece stuff. Well here is some pics of this weekend.

I had the greddy one just tied up with speaker wire.LOL Yeah I know its ghetto.

And Now its just behind the headlight.Its now gangsta.
Some SS welding pics.

luisgonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #628
TigWiz

Looks like some nice pie cuts! Good work.

And a tip for the aluminum. I think you need to run more heat and move faster, but what do I know
Old 05-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #629
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Quote:
Be careful. I did the same thing(boxed). I have JIC rucas and Powertrix Toe Rods. Figured I'd box the traction rods and put poly in them and I'd be good. Now I have Powertrix Traction rods too. Going through the Target parking lot, it decided to do this. Luckily it didn't do it going down the highway.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #630
EJ253
Zilvia FREAK!

EJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to EJ253 Send a message via MSN to EJ253
oh shit! luckily you werent hurt. but how sure are you that that happened because of you boxing in the rods?

DriftUtah | UtahNissans | MySpace | I <3 Drifting. Keep it Real.
Secret Society
EJ253 is offline   Reply With Quote