Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat > Builds (and builds only)

Builds (and builds only) Got a build thread? It goes here, build threads anywhere else on the forum will be locked and never moved.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #30
DEGUZZI
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
DEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to allDEGUZZI is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
JULY

Let me begin this by saying the mindset of "oh, while I'm in there...!" is a treacherous and expensive path, LOL

Well, off comes the head.

I couldn't have the car out of maintenance for too long, but I also wanted to make my time inside the engine worthwhile, so I had a bit of a balancing act doing this, on top of learning to change a head gasket for the first time, heh.

So let's take a look:

Tops of the pistons definitely look like 200,000 miles.

Chambers #3 and #4 have seen better days, which I'll need to further investigate later down the road.

Exhaust valves have the same story, and intake valves for #3 had debris on it.

With the head disassembled, I had it dropped off at a machine shop for testing, cleaning, and minimal resurface.

One thing I've been meaning to do was to refresh all the vaccum lines, and this was the perfect time.

I've always had a suspicion of the IACV's condition because when I get off throttle, the car will bog down, sometimes bad enough where it would stall itself.

Lo and behold, it was as dirty as expected and missing 1 bolt of the 4 (head gasket was changed by a random shop many years ago)

Cleaned:

I was going through the lines that run through the lower intake manifold, and found a hose to be "crunchy" inside. It was the line that ran coolant through the throttle body. Nothing came out when I disconnected it, so I just cut it open since I probably couldn't salvage it.

YUCK. Very likely from the old heater core and just old gunk/rust that was never able to exit the system.

Of course, I couldn't stand to reassemble the engine with the pistons in the condition they were in, so I had the engine bay masked up and went to work.

Ah, yes. Satisfaction!

Also, this happened:

But we'll get into that another time~