Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Local / Regional / National > Japan 日本

Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #31
DriftVader
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
DriftVader is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
lol Sorry to say it but dude you're prob getting stationed at Minot! =(
DriftVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2011, 03:23 AM   #32
S14_ShyGuy

Trader Rating: (0)
S14_ShyGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Why would I go to Minot specifically? What's so special about that place?
S14_ShyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:27 AM   #33
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
iStayBroke is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nothing special about it at all haha.
It's funny because a lot of people I know have lived there or mountain home in idaho.
Old 05-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #34
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Minot...Kaliko in Yokota, who's been there for his 8 yrs max, is going to Minot.

PS: DOnt get your heart set onto going to Japan. There is no fucking gurantee that you'd go there or anywhere close there. You wanna go to Japan? Spend a year in Korea first, same some money and use the loot to buy a car when you get to Japan.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #35
S14_ShyGuy

Why Korea? That doesn't sounds nice at all lol
Old 05-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #36
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
PS: DOnt get your heart set onto going to Japan. There is no fucking gurantee that you'd go there or anywhere close there.
Truth^

I think they throw darts at a map to pick ur location.

I didnt put anything down for over seas when i first joined, and I got sent to Japan. Glad I did though
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #37
c72c
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (25)
c72c is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_ShyGuy View Post
Why Korea? That doesn't sounds nice at all lol
Do a short tour in Korea and you get to pick your follow on base. You pick where you want to go after Korea, before you go to Korea, and you'll know where you're going. ...i think it made sense.

I've only been on Kadena for two years, but since I've been there, I can see 'the scene' dying down. If you're wanting to be part of it, find it. If you just want to works on cars, drive, and hang out with people with the same hobby... you can do that anywhere. If you do get kadena though, there are quite a few good people to get to know, just choose wisely whether you want to hang out with the chill people, or the people who total their cars every few days/weeks from doing stupid shit.

and to answer your question about going into 'the city'. If you live on base and have a blue card, you can go off base anytime you want, as long as it's not between midnight and 5am, tc1, or during a rock down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx
...The select few who still drives rarely comes out nowadays or have traded their shits for 4 door sedans. ...
or classics that don't have any power or enough rubber touching the road to keep it stable
Old 05-29-2011, 02:54 PM   #38
Hakosuka-G

Hakosuka-G is an unknown quantity at this point
haha, minot. Mine was a little better I guess; I went to Columbus AFB... in Mississippi of all places, bleh. but, ya like they all said, go to Korea, then to Japan. Yokota would be my pick if I were you. Then if you wanna see (not participate ofcourse lol) some racing, go around Sayama lake, if they still do it there. And if you can't find a car off base, there are always people selling on base.
Hakosuka-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:21 PM   #39
S14_ShyGuy

So let me get this straight... Put Korea as my first Over seas pick, then after 1 year ask to be moved to Japan? Is that right?
Old 05-29-2011, 11:09 PM   #40
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Remote tour is Korea. You do a 15 month volunteer tour there, then you get to pick where you want to go next. Volunteer for Osan and only that. All other base suck donkey balls. Put that as your 1st overseas base and don't bother putting anything else for stateside.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #41
S14_ShyGuy

Are you guaranteed to go to Korea? And is it for sure that you get to choose where you want after your time is done?
Old 05-30-2011, 01:05 AM   #42
North
Leaky Injector

North is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Remote tour is Korea. You do a 15 month volunteer tour there, then you get to pick where you want to go next. Volunteer for Osan and only that. All other base suck donkey balls. Put that as your 1st overseas base and don't bother putting anything else for stateside.
Korea is a 12 month remote, and I'd pick Yongsan (they do have limited AF slots up there), then Osan. Fuck, I just came from Kunsan a few months ago and had a great time... it's definitely not the cake walk that Osan is though. Already put it back on my dream sheet for after I leave England.
North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:18 AM   #43
North
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14_ShyGuy View Post
Are you guaranteed to go to Korea? And is it for sure that you get to choose where you want after your time is done?
For the most part, putting it there means you're going there. I don't think anyone explained how the follow-on system works accurately though... So, when you get selected for a remote tour assignment (Korea, Turkey, etc.) you get to list the bases you would like to go to after your tour is up; it looks similar to your dream sheet. You submit it, then about 2-3 weeks later they'll tell you which one they've selected you for. For example, when I got selected for Kunsan, I filled in my preference list like follows:

Yokota
Misawa
Kadena
Tokyo
Hickham
Ramstein
Lakenheath

...in that order. Now, I didn't have to pick 7 bases, but I did since I really didn't care where I went as long as it was overseas. I got picked for Lakenheath (UK), and that's where I'm currently at for another year. If you ONLY want to go to Japan, then ONLY put Japanese bases!! Don't just put them at the top and think you'll go there, because that was my mindset and look where I'm at now. Not that I hate it here or anything, just saying...

Hope that helps.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:47 PM   #44
S14_ShyGuy

I did know that the dream sheet was to tell them where you are interested in going but I was also told that if I pick, let's say Japan ONLY, and there is no room in Japan at any base, then I will be put where they want me. Not where I want.

That being said, should I fill every spot with a base I am interested in or still only ask for Korea first, and then ask for Japan after my tour?

My only worry is asking for Korea, and then once I am there finding out that I could have had Japan the whole time.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #45
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Seems like you answered your own question to me. Fill out the bases in Japan and then Korea.
If you don't get Japan, you are pretty much guaranteed Korea, and then you can choose a Japanese base after that.

If you do get Korea go for Osan or a AF spot on Yongsan if they have some open.
Everywhere else is crap.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:25 AM   #46
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

The chance of you going to Japan in general is small. Remember, your job is one of those jobs that's pretty much needed in every base. There's a reason its called a Dream Sheet. Some dreams do come true but AFPC in general have a bunch of angry, pissed off people that likes to piss on other people's dreams.

Go to Korea and ask for Japan as a follow on. Thats still not a guarantee but it pretty much bumps you on top of the list of folks to be picked to go to Japan. You're a young single airman, just dont fuck up by getting an alcohol related incident and you will be golden.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:30 AM   #47
S14_ShyGuy

I'm not a drinker and I don't wanna fuck up my career because of it. A guy I went to school with, whom I know only through passing, was kicked out for an alcohol related incident and everyone I know that knows him as well, makes fun of him and even talks trash and I don't wanna be the next one.

Back to serious stuff however, I have a pretty clear idea of what to do now. Yokota, Kadena, Misawa, Gungsan, Songtan.

Anyone think that's a bad list?
Old 05-31-2011, 11:58 AM   #48
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Osan > Kunsan...you got alot more things to do in Osan since you're pretty much in Seoul, which is the capital. You go to Korea, you will drink. The question is whether or not you can control yourself. There's nothing wrong with having a couple drinks, just dont turn into an idiot when you do.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 03:21 PM   #49
S14_ShyGuy

But see, I don't even like to drink so why would I do it just because I am there?

Do you get in trouble for drinking if you are underage or only if you are acting stupid?
Old 05-31-2011, 07:42 PM   #50
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

You can only get in trouble if you get caught.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:19 AM   #51
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

All depends on the drinking age there...Japan's Drinking Age is 20, doesnt matter if you're on base or off base. Cant remember whats the actual age in Korea.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #52
S14_ShyGuy

For Korea I'll ask my buddy who went there for 2 yeas with the Army.

I guess everything is only illegal if you get caught
Old 06-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #53
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Why would you ask somebody who's in the army? Their bases are nowhere close to where the AF bases are at. For the most part, Army bases are in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. If he says he was stationed anywhere else other than Camp Humphries...stop asking him questions cuz he'd be fucking clueless.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 PM   #54
Toi
Zilvia Member

Toi is an unknown quantity at this point
1. Select Korea
2. You want a guaranteed Follow on, that way you know where you are going before you go to Korea. If you don't request a guaranteed follow on you won't know where you are going till after you get to korea.
3. Do your short tour done, PCS
4???????
5. Profit

But I warn you now, overseas duty locations have a tempo that is about the same as 2 stateside locations.

Misawa for example flew 4k less sorties than Shady J for a given year...You think that is not to bad until you realize Shady J has 4 fighter squadrons and Misawa has 2!!!!!
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 PM   #55
iStayBroke
Zilvia Addict

Not to mention you got JASDF flying too
And the whole shared runway with the airport.
Flight tower stays busy
Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM   #56
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toi View Post
1. Select Korea
2. You want a guaranteed Follow on, that way you know where you are going before you go to Korea. If you don't request a guaranteed follow on you won't know where you are going till after you get to korea.
3. Do your short tour done, PCS
4???????
5. Profit

But I warn you now, overseas duty locations have a tempo that is about the same as 2 stateside locations.

Misawa for example flew 4k less sorties than Shady J for a given year...You think that is not to bad until you realize Shady J has 4 fighter squadrons and Misawa has 2!!!!!
All depends on where you go. I was in Travis AFB before I went to Kadena. I can say that the Ops Tempo between the 2 is similar. Shit I didnt understand tho is why our deployment rate out of KAB is alot higher. You're pretty much out the door for 8 months every 1.5-2 yrs.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 06-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #57
North
Leaky Injector

By the way, Kunsan is in Kunsan (pronounced "Gunsan") , Osan is in Songtan, and Yongsan is in Seoul.

But, I agree with what was said above for the most part. Yongsan (an Army base) is kind of like a gem since it's a huge base in a great location with a lot of things to see/do in the local area, and you have Itaewon right outside the base which has a ton of shopping, and restaurants that you're probably familiar with. If you're comparing Korean bases, it would go #1 Yongsan, #2 Osan... and then Kunsan around #14 or so since it's a shitty base in a shitty location. The only real benefit of it is that you'll be close with the people you work with since everyone hangs out together (read: drinks). But truthfully, and anyone will tell you this, it's going to be what you make of it. Like I said before, I had a great time when I was there.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #58
Toi
Zilvia Member

Toi is an unknown quantity at this point
I went to Shady J and they had like a Surge day or 2, I never heard of a Surge day, the only thing I knew was a surge week or longer....

Hope OP gets what he wants though, the dream sheets are heart breakers!
Toi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:38 AM   #59
LoneStarSilvia
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
LoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond reputeLoneStarSilvia has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I just got done with Osan about 3 weeks ago, on my COT leave right now and god it is glorious. Osan was downright horrible job wise, but I'm flightline so it was very high paced. Other than that the country itself wasn't too bad and the year goes by pretty quick. I bet if you put Osan anywhere on your dream sheet, they'll scoop you up. I had Osan 5th on mine and got picked for it. Changed my dream up as soon as I got a rip to Osan. Originally wanted Spangdahlem, then Kadena, but got Kadena instead and I'm pretty damned excited about it.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #60
marlove

marlove is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPNOTIK View Post
You can't throw a rock in any direction without hitting a Skyline at Kadena.
Autos for sale in Okinawa Japan
JU Classifieds

Local Forums
zeroyon.com
blacklinux.com/innersanctum

HAHA....TRUE!! When I found out my wife was coming to Kadena, I got pretty excited about getting a Skyline. Then I got here and saw the dorm parking lots full of them. Many for sale on base are auto and/or 4 door. Most of the Skylines around are R33. In fact, I haven't seen a true R34 GTR around...except one possibly off base. I was driving down the street...err quickly...but it was definitely a Japanese dude behind the wheel. I was stoked when I saw my Silvia for sale.

If you come to Kadena, you will get your driver's brief on probably your first Wednesday here. They give you your license and then you are free to purchase. If you already have the cash, you can get one from anyone on base. If you go to a dealer off base you will probably need your SOFA license. Also, if you see something you like on the Kadena Lemon lot, but don't have the cash, there is a great financing place out gate 1. They charge 1% interest per month and it's easy to get the loan. If you haven't already, check out Okinawa Bookoo. Type that into google. It's like Craigslist for Okinawa. You will find tons of cars on there. The site is down on Sunday for us, so don't panic if you can't get in today.

If you really want to buy from a dealer, just be forwarned that most don't warranty turbo cars. If you are looking for a Japanese sports car, your best bet is to get it from someone on base.
marlove is offline   Reply With Quote