Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
boostingwild

Trader Rating: (0)
boostingwild is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SC300 for Track duty

Anyone here have any insight and/or experience with this platform for track duty.

So far my search has lead me to coilovers and thats about it..

What do you guys think? whats the widest/squarest setup i can get away with on the SC300 with a BBK up front. 255 up front or can i push a 275?

Any input or links would be helpful ..

Here is a video of my car from a Pocono Roll Racing Event

Petrolwerks at Pocono Raceway with single turbo 2jz Lexus super coupe on Vimeo
boostingwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Isn't it really expensive to repair and the car is very heavy? Lexus/Toyota parts for that car is pretty pricey.... Please correct me if I am wrong
Old 06-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
HKSalex
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
HKSalex is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by slider2828 View Post
Isn't it really expensive to repair and the car is very heavy? Lexus/Toyota parts for that car is pretty pricey.... Please correct me if I am wrong
correct sir, majority of engine parts will be from the Supra TT, and most of the suspension parts will be from the Supra TT lol, i personally dont like the car as a track car, its to front heavy. but as a highway warrior, it has potential
HKSalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 AM   #4
Banana_Cute
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (16)
Banana_Cute is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Holy fuck, that SC is BEAST!

Simplicity is the key to brilliance
Banana_Cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:06 AM   #5
slider2828
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
slider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfectionslider2828 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
That is drag racing, we are talking about circuit?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:13 AM   #6
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Car too heavy, too expensive to maintain... DD it and look pretty, racecar something more suitable to be a racecar.... I'm not saying don't mod it, but if your pockets are deep enough to maintain a SC as a racecar, might as well just go with a supra.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #7
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Yeah I mean for Drag that car is pretty solid but for touring or gt, road racing, time attack etc, too heavy for my taste w/o awb and a bit wobbly
Old 06-13-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
steve shadows
Post Whore!

steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostingwild View Post
Anyone here have any insight and/or experience with this platform for track duty.

So far my search has lead me to coilovers and thats about it..

What do you guys think? whats the widest/squarest setup i can get away with on the SC300 with a BBK up front. 255 up front or can i push a 275?

Any input or links would be helpful ..

Def more of a wangan ride and a good one at that haha
Old 06-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostingwild View Post

I can say in all the years of going there I've never seen such an event (at least in video)

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
GhostlyCoupe
Zilvia Member

GhostlyCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
You guys and your misinformation....

Maintenence isn't expensive for a DIY'er, it's just a Toyota and has no special or unique parts that you can't find.

As for track performance it shares 90% of the entire car with the Supra including the suspension.

Your average SC300 weighs in at 3500lbs which is just a few pounds more than a MK4 Supra Turbo.

KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE
Old 06-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #11
vehicle336
Zilvia Member

vehicle336 is an unknown quantity at this point
What is your Plan with the car? Auto-x? Drag? Weekend HPDE's? Wheel to wheel? What sanctioning body? NASA? SCCA?

Can't really give advice on building a car if we don't know its purpose or what you want to use it for besides the 'track'.
vehicle336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
jordaninnovations
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (21)
jordaninnovations is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jordaninnovations
Alex Pfeiffer and Dave Westfall would be the first one's I'd ask. Robbie Nishida also has his SC moving pretty well.

Maintenance is not really an issue, Toyota stuff isn't super pricey and 2JZ's are all over the place.

They have no redeeming qualities, other than that they're cheap. The fact that they weigh as much as a Supra is not a positive. The fact that Supra suspension and driveline stuff swaps over is not a positive IMO - Supra stuff can be overpriced as well.

Like said above, as a street car or possibly drag car, they're nice. As a race car, you'll be fighting the enormous wheelbase and weight the entire time, getting lapped by Miatas and 240's that aren't as well set up, just because they're lighter.
jordaninnovations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
tqstarburst
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
tqstarburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
why don't you just go to an sc forum and ask all your questions there.
tqstarburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
Kuma
Zilvia Addict

Kuma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyCoupe View Post

Maintenence isn't expensive for a DIY'er, it's just a Toyota and has no special or unique parts that you can't find.

As for track performance it shares 90% of the entire car with the Supra including the suspension.

Your average SC300 weighs in at 3500lbs which is just a few pounds more than a MK4 Supra Turbo.
Racecars are expensive to maintain. Supra parts are overpriced also... Supra for the track, SC for the highway/DD

Why buy a luxury car just to strip all the luxury stuff out and put supra parts on it... If you have money like that, just buy a supra for your track car.
Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:22 PM   #15
drpsnwbrdr

drpsnwbrdr is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostlyCoupe View Post

I agree, "DIY'er" save at least 65-90% compared to a shop ($300 to swap out spark plugs on a 4cyl at a shop VS at home $10-$15 for just the plugs)

Plus SC can be found at pick"n"pull so how can parts be expensive? I even see complete V8 all the time.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
dawagarage
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (23)
dawagarage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqstarburst View Post
i have an sc300 and the only forum i know of is clublexus. and that forum is a fucking joke. the majority of threads are "what do you guys think of this?" "how do you like these huge, knockoff wheels?" "i did my first oil change" etc etc. those folk would be eaten alive on zilvia

ratsun: dawa (73 datsun 620)
clublexus: properD (97 sc300)
dawagarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:10 PM   #17
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tqstarburst View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotboiblaze View Post
i have an sc300 and the only forum i know of is clublexus. and that forum is a fucking joke. the majority of threads are "what do you guys think of this?" "how do you like these huge, knockoff wheels?" "i did my first oil change" etc etc. those folk would be eaten alive on zilvia
Exactly.

Their first question is how do I fix my stereo. Forum is the pitts. The others are even worse.

SC positives over S14 (my last track car)

1. Way stiffer.
2. More durable. Everything is harder to break including the engines
3. More aerodynamic (since I mostly drift I only found this to be a positive on the highway)
4. Parts are easy to find, and cheap if you know how to buy. Example I bought an alternator the difference between looking it up as a Lexus part and a Toyota part was $200
5. A lot more cars you can steal parts from. Aristo, Altezza, Supra, even Cressida, and more you can steal parts from.

Negatives
1. Feels a bit more numb.
2. Heavier. Not as much as you would expect
3. A lot of overhang past the wheels. Long nose and back end
4. Not a lot of ground clearance.
5. Virtually no footwork. I have camber arms that arent even made anymore, Battle Version makes some toe arms and castor and thats about it. Other than that offcentric bushings.
6. Wheel clearance. If you dont want to pull or flare fenders good luck fitting big tires.

I will say this is THE most stable car I've driven at high speed. Closest to it was a Big Merc.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #18
gearhead55
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
gearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of lightgearhead55 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
/thread

OB would know.
gearhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #19
zneubauer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
zneubauer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
personally, I love the SC and its look but it also looks really heavy, why not use the same motor in a more lightweight chassis? that response is probably beat to shit, just my idea but good luck either way!
zneubauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:00 PM   #20
fckillerbee
Post Whore!

fckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfectionfckillerbee is close to perfection
SC's are sweet.
They look sweet sideways.
You can bolt up sweet motors.
You can buy sweet body kits.
It's a Lexus...so it's baller...SWEET! lol

Everything you want to do...just do it right. If you need to make custom arms..get it done. If it need to be lighter, trade metal for fiberglass. shit will start getting expensive real quick. lol
fckillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #21
OBEEWON
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
OBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond reputeOBEEWON has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Yo, there is about $500 pounds of stuff to lose just under the dash. I have tossed 4 ECU's already and Im keeping most of the ammenities.

So easy to loose weight in these things. My full interior stock 1J stock boost walks my "tuned" E46 M3 in a drag up to 100.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
whiterps13
Zilvia Addict

whiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to beholdwhiterps13 is a splendid one to behold
The doors alone are 500 fucking pounds. And 8 feet long.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
jacobzking
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jacobzking is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i went from an NSX (too slow and too expensive to mod) to a semi-built SC300 2jzgte. the sc was great because it was a speed MONSTER. anyone that knows anything about GTEs will tell you how easy it is to get 600rwhp and run 10s in the 1/4. single digit times aren't too far out either.

but the car itself is just too heavy. hard to find with no sunroof (more weight). too many electronics to bypass and full with. body panels and oem parts are $$$ compared to 240. and i thought it handles like an offing boat... even with coil overs. the aftermarket world for the SC platform is almost non existent. some of the suspension is interchangeable with the Supra, but not all. the stuff that isn't, bushings, etc... can be a pain to locate performance versions.

it was fun on the highways... but ultimately it was sold and I bought a 240 right after for my track car... no regrets.

and don't get me wrong, my sc was no slap it together build either. new block from toyota, new turbos, head work, perfect paint and body, brand new interior, nab, etc... still didn't like it.

jacobzking is offline   Reply With Quote