Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > Advertiser Specials and Sales > Forced Induction

Old 01-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
External Wastegate for Stock Manifold -True Boost Control for your SR20!

Modified Stock Manifoild For External Wastegate

Tired of boost creep issues? Frustrated with your internal gate not providing the response or spool you were looking for? Giving up on lack of true boost control? Well look no further than this modification!

Having tried all of the major internal gate upgrades on my personal car, as well as others, it gets to a point where you simply can not reasonably control bigger boost with the larger GT28+ internally gated turbos. While initially such products work, they eventually fail putting you right back to square one, however with the frustration that you spent your good money and it didn’t work.

A few years back I had my personal manifold modified to accept the traditional Tial 38mm wastegate to fend off these issues, and I’ve yet to look back since. Running a proper external wastegate allows for true control of your turbocharger, while also offering better spool up (as the little internal gate isn’t pushing open) as well as rock solid boost control when you’re wide open throttle.

This modification utilizes the stock manifold (proven time and time again to be the best option for bottom mounted turbos) and can be modified to accept any wastegate flange of your choice. The best option for final fitment IMO is the Tial 38mm MVS gate (v band) however all options will work 100% fine.

Pictures

Tial MVS 38mm

Tial 38mm

Pricing and Information:
The modification to the manifold is 100 dollars. You will need to provide your manifold, and your flange of choice. After the welding is complete we can either ship it back to you, or we can ship it anywhere else you choose (the popular option is Extrude Hone, or to a High Temp coating place such as Swain Tech).

Contact
If you are interested, email me at (codyace AT gmail DOT com) or PM me for more information. THanks again!

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2012, 10:15 PM   #2
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I really wish I could fork up the cash for extrude honing
Old 01-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
G240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (5)
G240 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cody, been meaning to ask you, can you provide some pictures of it installed on your car? Curious to see how far up it sits in the engine bay.

Much appreciated.
G240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection

Now the MVS are obviously shorter. It does clear all strut bars with ease.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #5
Prove It
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Prove It is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hmm interesting. thoughts of doing this to my 1jz manifold but then i would have to do 2 of them...i'll PM you if i decide to do so....none the less cool product!
Prove It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
anybody measured the weight difference between one of these and a Tomei or Doc Race tubular manifold? Just curious.

I don't have a stock manifold to modify, but if there was an option that included one and the weight difference isn't material I might be convinced to try it.
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim38 View Post
anybody measured the weight difference between one of these and a Tomei or Doc Race tubular manifold? Just curious.

I don't have a stock manifold to modify, but if there was an option that included one and the weight difference isn't material I might be convinced to try it.
I do not have any specific data about the actual weight differences, but with that said I can assure you that with the actual weight difference to me (maybe less then 5 pounds total difference between them) is not a selling point, as it's been proven time and time again that the stock manifold promotes the fastest spooling turbo through heat retention, and is about as failproof as they come. Tubular manifolds are noted for less response, and there are countless examples of them cracking (to include Tomei and other name brands)

In the end, I wanted OEM reliability, but with reliable/failsafe boost control, and this was the way to go to achieve that.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
dr1ft32
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
dr1ft32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Are u only doing this for a limited time?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1ft32 View Post
Are u only doing this for a limited time?
Nope it's always going to be an available service

Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #10
clivey
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (-1)
clivey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
is your external wastegate plumbed back into the DP?
clivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
codyace
Post Whore!

I'd love to offer them as well, but that will need to be on a per car basis, due to everyone's downpipes/turbo outlets/turbos being so different.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Seraphim38
Zilvia Addict

Seraphim38 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Seraphim38
I was going to buy a Doc Race tubular manifold with the T25-EWG-44 but will think about this as an alternative for my GT2871R. I will just have to find a stock manifold, which I can guess shouldn't be too hard.
Seraphim38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
clivey
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (-1)
clivey is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I'd love to offer them as well, but that will need to be on a per car basis, due to everyone's downpipes/turbo outlets/turbos being so different.
oh ok.

was just wondering if you had had a screamer pipe configuration and how it was routed that was all.

This is never done in the UK.. everyone just switches to a copy of the tomei supreme manifold, internal wastegate and a gt2871r 0.64 running 1.5bar...

or to run less, just ported out the internal wastegate to 30mm... to prevent boost creap, which aint so much of an issue when opting for the 0.86 ex

But then we have ron 99 fuel fairly available... but dame its expensive!
clivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #14
c-los13
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
c-los13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hi cody, first let me say this is awesome!!!!, second ive heard that by goin this route you gotta weld the flap on back of the turbo. is there any pictures of that? thanks alot. i should be getting an extra mani soon, im looking foward to get this done
c-los13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #15
kouness
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
kouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud ofkouness has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
this is off topic, but do you cut and reweld the manifolds too if we wanted to go ka-t? i am in the process of researching this route. i have seen it done before.

95 Nissan 240sx: Q45 brake upgrade, v'tund lip
kouness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #16
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
great guy and good product! definitely worth it!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivey View Post
oh ok.
was just wondering if you had had a screamer pipe configuration and how it was routed that was all.
On my personal car I welded the re route toegether for it. It uses flex pipe and the sort. Sure isn't pretty but it works. Routes right along the steering shaft and has no worries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivey View Post
or to run less, just ported out the internal wastegate to 30mm... to prevent boost creap, which aint so much of an issue when opting for the 0.86 ex

But then we have ron 99 fuel fairly available... but dame its expensive!
I ported mine, and had no luck with it either. Blah. Internal just isn't enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-los13 View Post
hi cody, first let me say this is awesome!!!!, second ive heard that by goin this route you gotta weld the flap on back of the turbo. is there any pictures of that? thanks alot. i should be getting an extra mani soon, im looking foward to get this done
You will need to either weld your flapper shut, or to hold it shut (with wire, or with a piece of metal cut out to hold it. I don't have any pics off hand though

Quote:
Originally Posted by kouness View Post
this is off topic, but do you cut and reweld the manifolds too if we wanted to go ka-t? i am in the process of researching this route. i have seen it done before.
I'm sure Jay could weld it for you, but with that said, I do not have KA head around to test fit on for you. It's a circumstance of 'yes he can do that' but without the right tools/testing it's not fair to say yes.

Old 01-14-2012, 07:47 AM   #18
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
Im interested in a gettin this done - just need to source a stock manifold
Old 01-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #19
Emeru
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
Emeru is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If i wasnt so tempted to get my car running youd have my manifold already, i think youll be seeing it when i upgrade to a 2871r
Emeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:42 AM   #20
mattsil80wis
Zilvia Junkie

mattsil80wis is making a name for him/her selfmattsil80wis is making a name for him/her self
big ups to cody ace for doing this for me

i think i was the 1st person to have it done by him...been running this setup for 2 1/2 years now and have nothing but good things to say about it/him. Cody has gone out of his way to even have it extrude honed and swain coated. Enough talking time for pics

mattsil80wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #21
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Great set up, but man that thing is close to the brake lines lol. I know it won't effect it unless you lay into boost long enough to actually heat that dump tube up but I gotta say.....VBand ftw
Old 01-14-2012, 11:27 AM   #22
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
how much is the extrude/swain?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #23
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
how much is the extrude/swain?
A frikking lot. Extrude alone is like $500.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 AM   #24
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Excellent upgrade and service from Cody. I am in Japan (military) and he went out of his way to send my manifold off to get the external gate flange welded on, and then sent it off to get honed, and then even sent it back to me...Might I add was also updating me very often with status updates.

Unfortunately My setup is currently apart so I dont have any pics.

However, I made a little bracket that connects to one of the 5 turbo to elbow bolts and then the other part attaches to the wastegate flapper. NEVER had any issues.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
inopsey
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (21)
inopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant futureinopsey has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Great set up, but man that thing is close to the brake lines lol. I know it won't effect it unless you lay into boost long enough to actually heat that dump tube up but I gotta say.....VBand ftw
i had one of these put on last summer and it holds boost perfectly with the v band wastegate. i had the dump near the break lines like in the pic and had to move it since i would get massive break fade from doing a few hard runs in 4th or 5th gear, as in i would be going 100+ mph and step on the breaks and have to pump them to get them to stop. i quickly moved the dump so it dumps between the tranny and downpipe. be careful where you put the dump i had a friends engine bay catch fire from an improperly placed dump.
inopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #26
wangan_cruiser
kouki man

Trader Rating: (36)
wangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfectionwangan_cruiser is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wangan_cruiser
now the prices for oem exhaust manifold will sky rocket LOL

good thing i saved mine. i was about to throw it out. looking to get this done when i finish my bulletproof bottom end. gotta protect the investment!
wangan_cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #27
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inopsey View Post
i had one of these put on last summer and it holds boost perfectly with the v band wastegate. i had the dump near the break lines like in the pic and had to move it since i would get massive break fade from doing a few hard runs in 4th or 5th gear, as in i would be going 100+ mph and step on the breaks and have to pump them to get them to stop. i quickly moved the dump so it dumps between the tranny and downpipe. be careful where you put the dump i had a friends engine bay catch fire from an improperly placed dump.
Straight up through the hood is the best way to go lol
Old 01-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #28
codyace
Post Whore!

Hehe right up through the roof with a big rig flapper ontop

There is no doubt if running tit near the brake lines that you will need to run a better fluid and or wrap the lines (and wrap/coat the dump)...I personally have never had any fade issues on track days, but then again I do have it all at least BBQ painted and gold foil wrapped.

The V Band setup IMO is much nicer as it enables an infinite amount of variables in regard to dump placement.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #29
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Cody, would I notice a massive difference if I do not get the manifold extrude honed? Im currently running the Tomei manifold - would I feel major restriction if I switch and do not get it extrude honed?
Old 01-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #30
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
nissanfreak317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Do you weld these yourself? Welding cast iron is not easy. I'm pretty sure it needs to be preheated pretty hot and special filler wire used. I'm guessing that you have done your research on this and weld it properly, right? Only asking because I'm interested in getting it done by you but was turned away by several shops when I wanted this done a couple years ago.

Have decent pop-up front to trade with oem hood + vis racing carbon fiber hood if interested.
nissanfreak317 is offline   Reply With Quote