Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Marketplace > Advertiser Specials and Sales > Forced Induction

Old 01-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #31
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (42)
shiftdrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanfreak317 View Post
Do you weld these yourself? Welding cast iron is not easy. I'm pretty sure it needs to be preheated pretty hot and special filler wire used. I'm guessing that you have done your research on this and weld it properly, right? Only asking because I'm interested in getting it done by you but was turned away by several shops when I wanted this done a couple years ago.
Cast iron is easy to weld...this isn't a structural piece, no preheating needed, no special wire needed. I've welded multiple GM cast iron manifolds into Turbo manifolds.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #32
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
nissanfreak317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
Cast iron is easy to weld...this isn't a structural piece, no preheating needed, no special wire needed. I've welded multiple GM cast iron manifolds into Turbo manifolds.
[/IMG]
Dude, I've talked to several seasoned, professional welders, and none of them would go near cast iron, it has a different chemical composition than steel.

Also, It doesn't matter if it's structural or not, if the weld cracks you're leaking exhaust all over the place.

I was just trying to find out what process is being used for this so that I can decide whether or not to give it a try.

Have decent pop-up front to trade with oem hood + vis racing carbon fiber hood if interested.
nissanfreak317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #33
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG MiKE86 View Post
Cody, would I notice a massive difference if I do not get the manifold extrude honed? Im currently running the Tomei manifold - would I feel major restriction if I switch and do not get it extrude honed?
It's a matter of relevance to a degree. Is it a massive amount of change? Well, not really...it's sort of a nice finishing touch (we'll say like the cherry ontop) to a nice setup. It's going to help spool up without a doubt (smooth runners, no restriction), but it's not going to be a huge difference (100-200 rpm maybe)...it's also going to maybe be responsible for a few ponies, and better off boost response.

Is Extrude reaaaaally needed? Probably not. However (IMO only) if you're going to go that far with a setup, it's worth doing it right (especialyl if you're really going to drive the car...if it's just a daily driver then I'd probably opt out). I guess that though process could be applied to a most mods, but I'm just trying to be as truthful as possible

As far as a reduction in power, that's hard to say beyond educated guessing based upon results and dyno graphs. YOu'll gain faster spool up and torque with the stock manifold, but may loose out a smidge on the top end, which is where the tubular manifold does work best...however it's not a huge amount)

Quote:
Do you weld these yourself? Welding cast iron is not easy. I'm pretty sure it needs to be preheated pretty hot and special filler wire used. I'm guessing that you have done your research on this and weld it properly, right? Only asking because I'm interested in getting it done by you but was turned away by several shops when I wanted this done a couple years ago.
No my friend Jay welds these JPC Fabrication. I've sold about 15 of these so far with no issue, and Jay has welded countless other cast iron items at his shop. If it does break, you can ship it back, repaired and shipping will be covered on our end.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #34
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Dude, I've talked to several seasoned, professional welders, and none of them would go near cast iron, it has a different chemical composition than steel.

Also, It doesn't matter if it's structural or not, if the weld cracks you're leaking exhaust all over the place.

I was just trying to find out what process is being used for this so that I can decide whether or not to give it a try.
cool story....I've actually welded cast iron a lot, not talked about it....the weld will not break if the welder is good, in Cody's case, he has a great welder, so it will be fine. Cast aluminum is a bitch to weld, maybe you're thinking of that.....
Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #35
Nicelyphe
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
Nicelyphe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Looks good Cody, will be seeing me getting this done in the future! Been wanting to go external wastegate for some time now, just havent figured out how far of a set-up I want to go with as in daily driving use. That Swain coating looks real good on the manifold as well.
Nicelyphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #36
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
No my friend Jay welds these JPC Fabrication. I've sold about 15 of these so far with no issue, and Jay has welded countless other cast iron items at his shop. If it does break, you can ship it back, repaired and shipping will be covered on our end.
Great, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdrift View Post
cool story....I've actually welded cast iron a lot, not talked about it....the weld will not break if the welder is good, in Cody's case, he has a great welder, so it will be fine. Cast aluminum is a bitch to weld, maybe you're thinking of that.....
Stop being a douche. I was asking a question and was looking for an answer. Not some smart ass responses from someone other than the vendor. I have experience welding, I have taken welding classes, and I know many people who have tried to weld cast iron and failed. I looked into having this exact process done to my own manifold in the past and was turned down by local welding shops. I was curious of the process that they used, not trying to cause trouble, I know it can be done but I also know it's not as easy as you are making it out to be. And also, stop being a douche.

Have decent pop-up front to trade with oem hood + vis racing carbon fiber hood if interested.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM   #37
shiftdrift
Nissanaholic!

Just for the record, I answered your questions....in a respectful manner, then YOU gave a smartass response...if you already think you know, why ask? I'm done cluttering Cody aces thread. Sorry man.

P.s. still want that chicken dinner.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #38
4-20sx
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (50)
4-20sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4-20sx
this is the best way to go when going gt2871r.

i can vouch for this. cody hookedd it up! beautiful welds man!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #39
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Can you guys who have done this post pics of how you routed your dump pipes? I'm really interested. Thank you!

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #40
codyace
Post Whore!

codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Don't mind my rigging here, but it works. WHat I did was used hardpipe off the flange and welded it down near the steering shaft. Then I welded flexpipe to it. On the downpipe itself I then welded an elbow, that allowed the dump pipe flex section to slide over it, and then used the guientine clamp to secure it, and allow it to be removable. I then wrapped it all with header wrap, and spray painted it with the DEI wrap paint stuff as another layer of heat control.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #41
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Man I need to hurry up and get my car up and going again so I can drive it to the shop and have my dump tube fabbed up. All this talk of externals is getting my squirrelly
Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #42
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

By the way, if any of you Tial External cats need springs, I have a fuck ton from 8psi to 15psi. I feel bad if I throw them away...
Old 01-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #43
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
Don't mind my rigging here, but it works. WHat I did was used hardpipe off the flange and welded it down near the steering shaft. Then I welded flexpipe to it. On the downpipe itself I then welded an elbow, that allowed the dump pipe flex section to slide over it, and then used the guientine clamp to secure it, and allow it to be removable. I then wrapped it all with header wrap, and spray painted it with the DEI wrap paint stuff as another layer of heat control.

SO you have yours plumbed back into the exhaust always? I'm thinking about doing this only for japanese inspection only...
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #44
codyace
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
By the way, if any of you Tial External cats need springs, I have a fuck ton from 8psi to 15psi. I feel bad if I throw them away...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2slide View Post
SO you have yours plumbed back into the exhaust always? I'm thinking about doing this only for japanese inspection only...
Yes, while removable, I kept my permanently recirculated. I don't really care for the sound of an open dump pipe asI like toned/quiet exhaust setup on my cars. You don't even hear anything extra this way, helps keep it 'sleeper/oem' to a degree, which is my style.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #45
Luvs2slide
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (81)
Luvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of lightLuvs2slide is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 81 reviews
Got any other angles of the dump pipe Cody? Is there a flex section in the dump pipe's piping?
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #46
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Yes more pictures please!

Old 01-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #47
codyace
Post Whore!

Yes I have flex Pipe in that piece. I don't really have many pictures of it, as I fabbed it and installed it and called it a day.

On my example, the upper red part is hard pipe. cut at an angle, and welded to the flange. The green part is the flexible tubing that I got from JCwhitney (1.25 or 1.5" I can't recall). The flexible tubing then slides atop more hard tube (again in red at the bottom) where it recirculates back into the downpipe (secured via that guillotine clamp). Could I have fabbed it with all hard pipe? Sure...but the flex tube was available and easy to use. It's a MFer to weld with a mig (I'm also not a perfect welder) so just be careful with it, or have someone tig it. I had the mig super cold, and very fast to keep it from melting.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #48
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

What about this? Special Turbine Housing T25-EWG-44 : atpturbo.com

Your alternative is a lot cheaper and is tried and true, and I'm sure there will be the same amount of fab required. Just wondering if anyone has went this route. Thanks!

Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #49
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdm180sx View Post
What about this? Special Turbine Housing T25-EWG-44 : atpturbo.com

Your alternative is a lot cheaper and is tried and true, and I'm sure there will be the same amount of fab required. Just wondering if anyone has went this route. Thanks!
Looks sweet. I wonder if it would interfere with the steering column though. I would take some really good measurements first, haha.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #50
JonathanPrem
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
JonathanPrem is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
What the advantage/disadvantage of this setup?
JonathanPrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #51
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

No disadvantage. Nothing but good and pure win comes from externals
Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #52
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
Love my manifold from codyace...cant wait to get the car tuned with new setup!

huffandpuff00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #53
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

I just don't understand why people use that type of flange lol. Looks great though
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #54
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

huffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura abouthuffandpuff00 has a spectacular aura about
its was cheaper, I bought a used 2 bolt WG for $100
Old 02-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #55
Rusolena

Trader Rating: (0)
Rusolena is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi Codyace. I have something in mind and wanted to ask you first. Is there a phone number I can call you at? Or you can email me back at [email protected]
I looked at the group buy for the cast iron manifold but couldn't find a link. Please, email me as soon as you read this. I am purchasing a non wastegated turbo and I need to know if what I have in mind is going to work. Thanks in advance.
Rusolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #56
BiG MiKE86
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
BiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really niceBiG MiKE86 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BiG MiKE86
huffandpuff00 did you get it extrude honed and coated?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 AM   #57
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

No, I couldn't bring my self to spend that much on the stock mani...
Old 03-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #58
240ss
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
240ss is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by huffandpuff00 View Post
No, I couldn't bring my self to spend that much on the stock mani...
my thinking exactly. Ive been wanting to do this for a while but cant make up my mind. But i mean if you plan on staying bottom mount for a good while (like i do) then i think its a solid investment/upgrade. Cant wait to do this!
240ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #59
3v1Ls14
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
3v1Ls14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anybody thought of doing the exact same thing (welding a flange for wastegate) into the turbo rear housing? gate is directly where the exhaust spins turbine so it would exhaust the not needed gas right there rather than way up in manifold? I am doing it this way to my RB20 turbo until i save and buy better manifold and turbo etc.

I like your work on the exhaust manifolds as well though, nice job
3v1Ls14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #60
huffandpuff00
Zilvia Addict

^ atp make a turbine housing already. Their are fitment issues with wastegate and strut tower at the moment...
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/432611...-gtx2867r.html