Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #31
supersayianjim
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
supersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enoughsupersayianjim will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i have a lexus sc400 with a 1jz 5spd swap.

i have a 89 s13 with a rb20-25 swap.

i have like both engines,hence why i have them both. oiling issues aside. you have to do a Fair! COMPARISON

the rb25 vs the 1jz 2.5 vs 2.5

if you want to compare something to the 2jz you need to compare the rb30. then you have a even steven comparison!!
supersayianjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #32
PovertyDrifter

Trader Rating: (2)
PovertyDrifter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOnesxWai View Post
Uh... NO. A KA would need sleeves, pistons, rods, manifold, turbo ETC compared to a RB with larger turbo/turbos to make 600hp.. Not cost effective.

KA should not be in this topic of making ponies
If you where to swap a stock 26 into an s chassis it would cost $5000 plus. Tell me you couldn't build a KA for that and have 500 plus?
PovertyDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #33
DenkiMan!
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
DenkiMan! is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
hahaha yea the highest power output ive known any ka to make was around like 850hp or something

EDIT:
and here it is, first link on google

www.ka-t.org • View topic - 844rwp ka24de
Looking for another pair of 17x9 Veilside Andrew Racing V's
DenkiMan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #34
madserv
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
madserv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to madserv
I prefer building sr20det motor in silvia rather then doing 1j.2j or lsd swps. . a build sr20det can be beast aswell.
madserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #35
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
The amount of work and labor to make a KA 600+ would surpass the amount equivalent to a RB swap.

The KAT built above has well over 15K into the build.. thats without the labor done to the motor. Also.. honestly... KAs look ugly as FUKC
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #36
PovertyDrifter

Quote:
The amount of work and labor to make a KA 600+ would surpass the amount equivalent to a RB swap.

The KAT built above has well over 15K into the build.. thats without the labor done to the motor. Also.. honestly... KAs look ugly as FUKC
You might want to do some research before you post. An RB26 comes stock with 276hp.

Just the rb26 motor and rb25 trans alone is 4-5k. Then you need mounts, aftermarket drive shaft, front mount with piping, labor ect. blah blah blah we all know the story.

As far as ugly as fuck goes. It just proves my point. Its a cool factor
Old 08-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #37
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Bmxer300zx is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm with poverty drifter ^
A rb26 is an amazing motor stock but still requires money to swap let alone mod. Just mounts, shaft, oilpan or mod it, trans and engine are about 4k depending on you purchasing.
There are threads that exists that show you how to use a gtr transmission by hacking off the transfer case and making a plate to to cover and other b.s todo so. Some have done it so its cheaper. Than still need money to bring the motor to 600hp.

Far as a KA goes your talking about a $200 motor for the price of a rb26 the rods, piston and heads could be built. After that its a turbo kit, fuel and ems.
Bmxer300zx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:47 PM   #38
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian310 View Post
i own a Japanese car why would i want a shitty american motor... ls motors are shit just like everything from america. call me a jdm fanboy if you please but ill stick to my motors from japland. oh and i OWNED a v8 s14, AND IT SUCKED.sold it to build this coupe.
Hahah ya really? a $300 junkyard 4.8 lsx can make over 300whp on a $200 cam off craigslist and tune haha. They've pushed these motors past 1k hp on stock short blocks lol. Lets not even get to the bigger brothers for about $200 more. Terrible motors
Will say the price of a t56 is what kills the money vs power . If they where as cheap as a z32 or 350z trans would be no comparison of power for price lmao.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #39
PeaceOnesxWai
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (34)
PeaceOnesxWai is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
fanboys... So you guys will build a KA that is going to push 600 but leave the drivetrain stock. Are you people talking out of your ass or is it only about the power figures. The driveability has no factor?

Face it.. the KA is garbage truck motor. How many people can you name that has passed 600hp KA?? if you do, ask them what issues they face when they hit those goals.. you guys talk like 600hp can be easily achieved with a big T4 turbo.

Dont bring in your KA crap in a discussion, KA is an unworth level compared to RB/2JZ
PeaceOnesxWai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #40
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
fanboys... So you guys will build a KA that is going to push 600 but leave the drivetrain stock. Are you people talking out of your ass or is it only about the power figures. The driveability has no factor?

Face it.. the KA is garbage truck motor. How many people can you name that has passed 600hp KA?? if you do, ask them what issues they face when they hit those goals.. you guys talk like 600hp can be easily achieved with a big T4 turbo.

Dont bring in your KA crap in a discussion, KA is an unworth level compared to RB/2JZ
Ka trans bolts to a rb block minus 1 bolt that can be drilled over an 1/8th to fit lol. So in reality a z32 trans could be mated to a ka24 for the price of a precious maxworks kit lol. Z32 trans $200 all day, seen even rb26 trans at jdmengine depot mid winter for $300 use the rb26 bellhousing same as a trans setup for the rb26.
Or buy a rb26 transmission and modify it to rwd and use that
Building drivetrains bullet proof will cost regardless of what fanboy engine you go with. My point was a ka24 could be built for the price of a rb26 swap. Far as 500hp+ ka's theres plenty out there pull the head outa ur ass. Most choose otherwise though.

If your looking for 5/600hp+ jz or rb forsure like I said most people swap em stock then move on, its a pricey swap for 3/400hp imo.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #41
waxball88
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (9)
waxball88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Uh... NO. A KA would need sleeves, pistons, rods, manifold, turbo ETC compared to a RB with larger turbo/turbos to make 600hp.. Not cost effective.

KA should not be in this topic of making ponies
IRON BLOCK NEEDS SLEEVES!? Well fuck guess im selling my ka

manifold turbo etc...Wouldnt you need all those to make 600 on an rb?
waxball88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #42
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmxer300zx View Post
Hahah ya really? a $300 junkyard 4.8 lsx can make over 300whp on a $200 cam off craigslist and tune haha. They've pushed these motors past 1k hp on stock short blocks lol. Lets not even get to the bigger brothers for about $200 more. Terrible motors
Will say the price of a t56 is what kills the money vs power . If they where as cheap as a z32 or 350z trans would be no comparison of power for price lmao.
There is no way to do a proper LSx swap for under 10K$.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #43
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Lets get back to the subject at hand. OP I don't think you know what you are doing and I doubt you have enough money to do either swap. The mere fact you asked such a broad question without doing any kind of research just shows you're mediocre understanding of basic mechanics and decision making skills. I am expecting a well thought out rebuttal that probably took you 15 minutes or so to type so you can save face and not make a fool of your self on this forum, or so you will try. I am not trying to be an ass but you need to do a lot of reading because there are numerous source regarding this topic if you made the same effort on Google rather than making this thread. If there is something that needs more clarification by all means make a thread but dont ask these very broad questions such as I.E. "which is better a sr or ka", "how much horsepower will this make". We all go through this phase but learning to do your own research is extremely rewarding and may give better insight on things rather than having someone explain it to you.
CHEERS
Old 08-03-2013, 01:39 AM   #44
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Lol this went from a 1jz vs rb debate to crazy ness haha.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #45
Bmxer300zx
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
There is no way to do a proper LSx swap for under 10K$.
That comment was directed towards it being a shitty motor........
Also I've seen Vortec swaps for far under 10k in fords and other cars not just s-chassis. Some hitting 600hp turbo'd Others all out N/A.
Whats your term of "proper" lol
For that matter a friend did a LT1 t56 rx7 with p.s and a.c for 7k. The motor was cleaned and prepped at a shop and he used forged rods and pistons, metal headgasket and electronic water pump, Full exhaust from headers back lol. Even had a turboii rear in it.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #46
PovertyDrifter

Quote:

First of the engine is part of the drive train, and most people who do a bigger swap leave the trans and axle alone because they are readily available or wait to blow it up and swap something better (saw it done a million times).

Second I was not trying to say the KA was the optimum motor, I was making a point... You can make the stock motor as reliable as any other swap.

The OP wanted a reason why people would swap a 2jz or RB26?

Answer: Its a cool factor
Old 08-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #47
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Blah blah blah.

2jz is better.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #48
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
God, why the fuck are you guys comparing KA-Ts to I-6 turbo engines. Power delivery between the 2 is completely different. So what the fuck is the point of having a 500hp KA-T when you dont see the power till closer 4.5k-5k? I-6 will give you the torque and power alot sooner than that and at 500hp, 1JZ/2JZ and RB25/26s are barely breaking a sweat.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #49
blueshark123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (55)
blueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant futureblueshark123 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 55 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian310 View Post
im doing a 1j swap in my coupe right now. its costing me alot less than a ls1 swap would be.. you have to have the right resources to stay budget friendly, right now my cost for my swap is 2k and i have everything i need lol.
and as far as the vk56 i wanted to do that swap in my first hatch ages ago but ended up selling the car. and yes im aware nascar doesnt run ls1's but im talking about american v8's in general. why put an american motor in a jdm car just drive a fucking foxbody. im not a nissan purist, im against american motors in jdm cars tho.

You want to talk budget friendly. I bought a crashed ws6 trans am for 3200 got a free swap with 1k extra. I sold my sr setup and that funded all of my sikky kit etc. I did the wiring which is so fucking easy.

So in the end I made money got more relaible power and The best part I knew that motor ran and exact miles, so i knew it was more reliable then a pos pull out from japan with god knows miles.

My swap is properly done, down to the last bolt. If u know how to do all the work yourself and be smart you can get this swap for cheap. I could have even done my own mounts but i decided against it cause of time.

Also 2jz> rb26
blueshark123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #50
PovertyDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
God, why the fuck are you guys comparing KA-Ts to I-6 turbo engines. Power delivery between the 2 is completely different. So what the fuck is the point of having a 500hp KA-T when you dont see the power till closer 4.5k-5k? I-6 will give you the torque and power alot sooner than that and at 500hp, 1JZ/2JZ and RB25/26s are barely breaking a sweat.
You need to read the whole thread so you dont make an ass out of your self
Old 08-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #51
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovertyDrifter View Post
You need to read the whole thread so you dont make an ass out of your self
I don't need to do that since you're doing an excellent job of making an ass of yourself. You really comparing a built KA to modded out RB26s? KAs are great engines for people who can rebuild and tune it themselves. KA-Ts on the hands of your typical S-chassis owners nowadays will last a month since most of them think they can slap a T3/T4 50 trim turbo on their stock 190K mileaged KAs and tune it with a SAFC.

I don't hate KA-Ts, I'm just not a big fan of pushing 4 cylinder engines over 450-500hp. Sure you can push them to more than that but without the right tuner, you can kiss that engine bubybe. Margin of error is less on 4 cylinders compared to an engine with more cylinder since the load is spread out more.

I'm coming from having a 500whp GT3582R equipped SR21 and switched over to a 420whp RB25'd S14. I should have done this swap alot sooner, I6s just sound better and has better power delivery since the power/torque is on sooner. Does that make me a fanboy since I've experience both and prefer my RB25? Do I love this setup? I like the power delivery but it's not perfect. The hindsight any I6 swap is the hefty weight. Make the whole car feel too nose heavy in my case, after using Mckinney mounts. I dont remember them feeling like this in Japan using stock R32/33 crossmember and mounts.

PS: RB26s does not put down 276hp at the crank. Nissan short changed their rating to conform with the gentlemen's agreement between manufacturers to keep it to less than 280. Its not uncommon for a stock RB26 in RWD configuration to put down 310-330whp. Same thing with the 2JZ, Supra's were putting down 300whp.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #52
Berho615

Berho615 is an unknown quantity at this point
Really depends on what you want. 2jz with the 6- speed gear tag tranny is unstoppable.
Berho615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:54 AM   #53
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Do a radical 4AG.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #54
PovertyDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
I don't need to do that since you're doing an excellent job of making an ass of yourself. You really comparing a built KA to modded out RB26s? KAs are great engines for people who can rebuild and tune it themselves. KA-Ts on the hands of your typical S-chassis owners nowadays will last a month since most of them think they can slap a T3/T4 50 trim turbo on their stock 190K mileaged KAs and tune it with a SAFC.

I don't hate KA-Ts, I'm just not a big fan of pushing 4 cylinder engines over 450-500hp. Sure you can push them to more than that but without the right tuner, you can kiss that engine bubybe. Margin of error is less on 4 cylinders compared to an engine with more cylinder since the load is spread out more.

I'm coming from having a 500whp GT3582R equipped SR21 and switched over to a 420whp RB25'd S14. I should have done this swap alot sooner, I6s just sound better and has better power delivery since the power/torque is on sooner. Does that make me a fanboy since I've experience both and prefer my RB25? Do I love this setup? I like the power delivery but it's not perfect. The hindsight any I6 swap is the hefty weight. Make the whole car feel too nose heavy in my case, after using Mckinney mounts. I dont remember them feeling like this in Japan using stock R32/33 crossmember and mounts.

PS: RB26s does not put down 276hp at the crank. Nissan short changed their rating to conform with the gentlemen's agreement between manufacturers to keep it to less than 280. Its not uncommon for a stock RB26 in RWD configuration to put down 310-330whp. Same thing with the 2JZ, Supra's were putting down 300whp.
No I was not comparing a "MODDED OUT RB to a KA" Read the whole thread, and how I have reiterated my point over and over.

I also said I know the KA-t is not the best (Optimum) engine either. I was making a point about the OP's Question.

Then the Guys on here who think there hard core and have no clue chimed in.

Yes you can take an RB26 or 2JZ to 1200hp, but you will pay for it big time, that was not my understanding of the conversation.

Trust me I would take an RB over a KA-t any day, but Its not Pertinent for the majority of what guys are doing with the s-chassis. I bet half or more of the guys who own a 240 are posers anyway.

One of my good freind's has an R33 GTS 4 he blew up on a road course last year, and has since spent over 10k on the engine itself.

Anyway, sounds like you have experience with both sides and I always like a good debate, but make sure you look at the whole picture.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #55
PovertyDrifter

Also I could care less about the "FAN BOY" comment most guys reply with. If where not fans of Nissan we wouldn't be on this site. The guys who make those comments are bashing Nissan in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #56
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Why the fuck are you talking about a ka-t?

The thread title is rb26 vs 2jz.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #57
PovertyDrifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
Why the fuck are you talking about a ka-t?

The thread title is rb26 vs 2jz.
Why the fuck are you guys so ignorant? Pay attention to my point.

I was giving an example of why people decide to go with one or the other. Read my previous posts.

I know all of you guys can't be that dumb, or are you?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #58
Goofs
Zilvia Addict

Goofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of lightGoofs is a glorious beacon of light
The 1/2JZ is clearly the better engine. And to the guy a page back stating LSx's are the best engines to swap into S-chassis is an idiot. American crap v8's don't belong in Japanese cars. Am I fanboy, probably. However, I would rather have a boosted 4 cylinder or i6 making super cool noises and being pushed to its limits, then to hear a v8 thats being pussy footed because its spinning tires at 3k RPM
Goofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #59
Hatchguy

Trader Rating: (1)
Hatchguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #60
TrueFreshness
Leaky Injector

TrueFreshness is an unknown quantity at this point
2JZ. Cheaper to build, parts more readily available, and has proven to be able to hold 700-800 on the stock internals.
TrueFreshness is offline   Reply With Quote