Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 08-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #241
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With stock p11 cams you should be find !!! I saw stock bottom ends with vvl conversion done before !!!

Built thread sr20vet s14
http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=535574
rbs14kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #242
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

rbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to allrbs14kouki is a name known to all
Have a good read

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/i...ic=372528&st=0

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 11-26-2014, 01:02 PM   #243
JSimpson
Banned from the Marketplace

Trader Rating: (15)
JSimpson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Assuming most of you guys are rocking high HP SRs with multi-plate clutches, any of you guys using the Mazworx hydraulic release bearing kit? I recently switched from a OS Giken twin to an Exedy Triple on my SR22VET and need to find a way to release the clutch without having an NFL linebacker's left thigh haha
JSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:55 PM   #244
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
The only thing I can add is it is suppose to help with High Rpm shifts.

I am rocking an Exedy Twin, but utilizing the factory slave/fork setup.
Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #245
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (18)
Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Here's how my SR22VE-T is coming along, up at Touge Factory.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #246
s13silvia123
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (16)
s13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfections13silvia123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by autotechmotoring View Post
Here you go:
you guys have any flow analysis for the intake manifold?

I would like to see it.

s13silvia123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #247
brndck
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (130)
brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 130 reviews
Send a message via AIM to brndck
Autotech do you have rough price on that manifold? Having a plenum that clears the hood would sure help me out.

http://outslidersandsmokeproduce.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannykiller View Post
it'll fit JANK.. and no one likes Jank except Broke ass zilvians.
brndck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #248
JSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imarvin240 View Post
Here's how my SR22VE-T is coming along, up at Touge Factory.

Who polished your stainless exhaust manifold? Also if you don't mine telling what they charged to have this done? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2014, 12:25 PM   #249
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (32)
RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSimpson View Post
Who polished your stainless exhaust manifold? Also if you don't mine telling what they charged to have this done? Thanks!
Please use even a little thought and try to realize just how much (or well, how little) sense the question you are asking holds............And how "polish" will react to the extreme heat of an exhaust manifold

I have a feeling it is ceramic/high temp coated

RalliartRsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #250
JSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliartRsX View Post
Please use even a little thought and try to realize just how much (or well, how little) sense the question you are asking holds............And how "polish" will react to the extreme heat of an exhaust manifold

I have a feeling it is ceramic/high temp coated

Well sir you just proved to be quite the know-it-all, know nothing zilvian. I've been around and raced professional level cars of all sorts with engines vastly higher performance than these (including turbo engines) with nearly perfectly sealed engine bays and on WOT for ~85% of a lap with engines that make far more hp than these (and cost well over $50k), and believe it or not, many of them have polished manifolds. Raw thin gauge stainless polished to a mirror with zero coating... So saying I need to "use even a little thought" in my question, when my question pertains to a service good enough for Indy Car, Indy Lights, Champ Car Atlantic engines, as well as every sprint car and midget out there, is very disrespectful. I hope you find yourself some time to "google" about polishing stainless manifolds, and see what little or no difference it makes to heat in a manifold. After that see how stainless maintains its mirror polish even in extreme heat situations, and turns to a golden color.

I am not denying that thermal coating headers is a great idea, my point is that it makes a minute difference at best on a car like this and would still slightly burn/melt the carbon on the hood and heat up the brake lines and fluid reservoir regardless of what coating he has on them. A stainless blocking plate or 2 with gold heat tape or asbestos heat blanket would be best IF this was a serious problem on the car, and obviously after spending the time and $80-$100k building this car, he will make sure that is done correctly regardless of his methods.

The fact is you are more than likely a typical zilvia troll rocking some T2 turbod SR with a single disc clutch thinking you're the hottest shit around, and it would be appreciated that you only comment if you have valuable input with regards to the question at hand or any viable experience with a build of this magnitude in the past.
Thank you.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:00 PM   #251
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

RalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfectionRalliartRsX is close to perfection
Can you please show me the service applied to "polish" a manifold??

And no, Not a T2 troll. I have had several chassis, with the fastest being a 98 SE-R with a honkin Garret turbo, half cage, wilwoods, etc cracking 140+ MPH consistently at Summit Point Main front sttraight that has chased down several Hoosier Shod C5 and C6 Z06s . I can show a (few) videos if you like

Please tone down the anger. You sound much more like a butt hurt Zilvian than I do throwing around your claimed"achievements" and Indy car knowledge mind you..........

This is what I have found in my quick search
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/25...header-polish/
Old 12-09-2014, 03:42 PM   #252
JSimpson

Quote:
Can you please show me the service applied to "polish" a manifold??

And no, Not a T2 troll. I have had several chassis, with the fastest being a 98 SE-R with a honkin Garret turbo, half cage, wilwoods, etc cracking 140+ MPH consistently at Summit Point Main front sttraight that has chased down several Hoosier Shod C5 and C6 Z06s . I can show a (few) videos if you like

Please tone down the anger. You sound much more like a butt hurt Zilvian than I do throwing around your claimed"achievements" and Indy car knowledge mind you..........

This is what I have found in my quick search
http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/11/25...header-polish/
You ask and you shall receive. Its quite simple, take any raw thick wall stainless exhaust manifold common to these cars, (full race, doc, mazworx, the TF one above), and polish it via sanding. Start with rough low grit and end with 2-3000 grit like how you would polish/sand the clear coat on a car's paint. Obviously stainless is much more difficult to polish than aluminum, however it can be done with or without any polishing agents.
TRD 4AGE Atlantic example

USAC midget example

Other angles
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse1954cbf.jpg
and again
http://i911.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps7ec08321.jpg

No anger here, just pointing out your rudeness of a simple question while your only "credentials" are owning a moderately quick nissan sentra at some point in your life.
The exhaust manifold on IMarvin240's looks rather shiny, meaning it is either polished or some quality high temp coating as opposed to the run of the mill dull coatings you see on most manifolds on these cars. I inquired to ask HIM as I am interested.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 PM   #253
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Imarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura aboutImarvin240 has a spectacular aura about
Now I don't want to answer and stir up the fire...but it's ceramic coated.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #254
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

My day job is lead engineer building small scale turbines, heating elements and ICE. SO I do have a little bit of experience in exhaust materials. Also, to confirm, Indy car and F1 uses a specific type of coating and not a "polish" compound.

Your idea of polishing and mine are somewhat different, hence my questioning.

Also, last I checked, the Indycar and F1 headers are inconel with a "coating" and not a polishing as you stated. It starts out as a "polished" or reflective surface, but quickly turns into a dull hue as once inconel is heat cycled (the first pictures you posted is a VERY good example of this effect happening, as you can see the "reflective" coating slowly loosing is shine) it forms a coating or barrier around the metal which protects it from abrasion and insulates it. Here is a detailed picture of the Renault from the V8 era (I had a chance to go into the pit garages at Montreal a few years ago)

Renault (if I remember) F1 car from a few years ago

Below is a gentleman that does the Indycar Manifold coatings and you can see, one of the coatings is actually reflective (which can easily be descerned as polished)

The link to the gentleman above
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/coatings.html

And lastly, just because I have a "sentra" means nothing to my experience level. Cheap, easy fun was the goal and that's what it attained . Money spent does not equal knowledge.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #255
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Thank you Marvin! I do not think the gentleman above truly understands, hence why I chimed in.

But since I am some lowly Zilvia, my opinion doesn't matter
Old 12-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #256
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

The reason why I know this coating so well is because we have had it down on a few items over the years

One my from my SE-R

You can see the coating losing it's "shine"
Old 12-09-2014, 05:57 PM   #257
JSimpson

Quote:
My day job is lead engineer building small scale turbines, heating elements and ICE. SO I do have a little bit of experience in exhaust materials. Also, to confirm, Indy car and F1 uses a specific type of coating and not a "polish" compound.

Your idea of polishing and mine are somewhat different, hence my questioning.

Also, last I checked, the Indycar and F1 headers are inconel with a "coating" and not a polishing as you stated. It starts out as a "polished" or reflective surface, but quickly turns into a dull hue as once inconel is heat cycled (the first pictures you posted is a VERY good example of this effect happening, as you can see the "reflective" coating slowly loosing is shine) it forms a coating or barrier around the metal which protects it from abrasion and insulates it. Here is a detailed picture of the Renault from the V8 era (I had a chance to go into the pit garages at Montreal a few years ago)

Renault (if I remember) F1 car from a few years ago

Below is a gentleman that does the Indycar Manifold coatings and you can see, one of the coatings is actually reflective (which can easily be descerned as polished)

The link to the gentleman above
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/coatings.html

And lastly, just because I have a "sentra" means nothing to my experience level. Cheap, easy fun was the goal and that's what it attained . Money spent does not equal knowledge.
Some of your info is true, some is false.

First and foremost the first picture I posted is NOT an inconel coated header with anything applied to it in the slightest. I know this because that is my Toyota Atlantic car and I polished the manifold myself from a bare stainless. Zero coating of any kind, just polishing. Hence why it has turned gold as mentioned earlier.

Second, I am not claiming that all indy cars are one way or another or that one method is better or worse. I clearly stated that many are coated, including all current DW12 cars done by Howerton Products, as a spec thermal coat for all in the series (and has been for some time) and requires re-coats at mileaged intervals in order to not melt the exhaust valves (does not have to do with keeping engine bay temps down as your point alluded to. While, YES some of the 15 year old v8 indy car headers (including your pictured oldsmobile V8) are thermal coated, many of them are not, as it is not needed with NA engines in the slightest.
You seem to be stuck on the fact that there is a thermal coating available that is shiny, while yes, I have agreed with you on this point. Multiple times.

I acknowledge the fact that these coatings exist, and have driven many racecars with them. However, point being, cars like ours that are glorified street cars with mild engines DO NOT require these coatings, so there is no sense in bashing my inquiry to Imarvin240.

Imarvin240 I greatly appreciate your response and it is nice to know! I will contact TF and see if they can point me in the direction of their coater. Really like how that one turned out!
Old 12-09-2014, 06:06 PM   #258
Edgar
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
Edgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfectionEdgar is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Edgar

btw whats wrong with having an SR and ripping around having fun?

dont be a snob
Old 12-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #259
JSimpson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar View Post

btw whats wrong with having an SR and ripping around having fun?

dont be a snob
Haha edgar you know I am fully guilty of having 2 SR cars right now, don't give me that crap. Just not liking his "please use even a little thought" comment to my question.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #260
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

Sorry for being a hardass JSimpson. We both know a thing or two, so no hard feelings
My mistake on the Atlantic. What I was referring to is heat cycling and what it does to a "reflective" coating and not that an Atlantic Car uses inconel headers. It's just when someone on Zilvia uses the word "polishing" and "exhaust" I think of bad things........

For clarity, the current IndyCars use strictly inconel, coating and Titanium exhaust shields. Below is a picture from the 2013 season and the inconel header

Below is a Chevy from the 2013 season. You can see the obvious "hot" coating on the turbine outlet and the heavy use of titanium exhaust wrap (looks to the be same stuff WRC and WEC cars use)
Old 12-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #261
RalliartRsX
Post Whore!

However, I simply cannot agree with the fact of our street cars NOT needing coating. From my experience, any form of heat management is welcomed

Underhood temps going to a ceramic coating then to a full titanium shield, yielded a few hundred degrees drop in engine bay temps on my "street" vehicle and also gave me a few points in Compressor, Radiator and intercooler efficiency since the amount of radiant heat dropped some 10 fold

Where the manifold and turbine housing were a several hundred degrees F without coating, it was only a little over 250 F with the ceramic coating to a little over 120 F after a full 20 min session in the middle of summer after a titanium shield was installed. This also translated into meaning all underhood components having an increased life span.

Considering the industry I work in, I am HUGE stictler for heat management and see zero downsides to it regardless of it's a glorified street car or a full bore open wheel rig.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:29 AM   #262
brndck
Premium Member

brndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfectionbrndck is close to perfection
/\/\/\ can you guys go start your own "polishing and coatings" thread instead of derailing this one?

Quote:
Old 12-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #263
jdhj

Trader Rating: (0)
jdhj is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there a few definitive VE engine threads that you guys would recommend for the fundamentals?
jdhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:08 AM   #264
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

What information are you looking for? A lot of the guys in here, including myself, have built some decent VE engine setups.
Old 12-25-2014, 03:23 PM   #265
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Old 12-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #266
rbs14kouki
Zilvia Addict

Under Suzuki just smashed the Tsukuba record 51.127 with that set-up ^^^^

Built thread sr20vet s14
Old 12-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #267
Freddy
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Freddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How much does it cost all in all, compared to a jz swap will say?
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 04:16 PM   #268
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Id say roughly 3-5k depending on the route you take and what's purchased new. For some that seems excessive when you can buy an RB that can handle more power, but I'd say it's far less than the 2J swaps.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #269
brndck
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Id say roughly 3-5k depending on the route you take and what's purchased new. For some that seems excessive when you can buy an RB that can handle more power, but I'd say it's far less than the 2J swaps.
Like with all things, you can do it on the cheap, or you can get stupid with it.
I'm damn near $10k into mine, but I also bought new cp Pistons and manley rods, N1 cams, bnib p12 valve cover, and $2k in WPC treatment.

Quote:
Old 12-26-2014, 05:36 PM   #270
Imarvin240
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brndck View Post
Like with all things, you can do it on the cheap, or you can get stupid with it.
I'm damn near $10k into mine, but I also bought new cp Pistons and manley rods, N1 cams, bnib p12 valve cover, and $2k in WPC treatment.
Exactly! It all depends how crazy you go with the build. I'm over 100k into the overall build of my car, with roughly 50k of it being in my engine bay (most of the parts had to be custom made). I went more overboard then I planned to, but overboard is usually how most builds end up. Luckily I'm just about finished up with my build. Brndck, any photos of your setup?