Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Specific Topics > Off Topic Chat > LOUD NOISES

LOUD NOISES A place for political mudslinging, Pro/Anti legalization, gay marriage debate, Gun control rants, etc. If it's political, controversial, or hotly debated, it goes here. No regular Off-Topic stuff allowed. READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Old 07-23-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (4)
bb4_96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
How to: National politics

I can't decide the best way to pursue involvement in national politics. I've been getting involved in local and regional politics, talked to alot of local politicians, i vote, I write my reps... regularly. It seems like if you get enough people riled up you can get things done locally but it's only effective to a certain level. So how do you make a difference nationally in this day & age. Another q, what's the likelyhood of amending or ratifying the constitution? It seems like it would have been easier in the past when the nation was more unified in it's ideals.
bb4_96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
TheWolf
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
TheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant futureTheWolf has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
learn how to make money... or buy guns... or both...

politicians don't listen to all that other stuff... it just is designed to "make you feel better"
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #3
ineedone
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ineedone is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb4_96 View Post
I can't decide the best way to pursue involvement in national politics. I've been getting involved in local and regional politics, talked to alot of local politicians, i vote, I write my reps... regularly. It seems like if you get enough people riled up you can get things done locally but it's only effective to a certain level. So how do you make a difference nationally in this day & age. Another q, what's the likelyhood of amending or ratifying the constitution? It seems like it would have been easier in the past when the nation was more unified in it's ideals.

1. DC, unless you plan on running locally or something, you need to get involved at the national level if you really want to break into politics on a legitimate level. Your state senate office is somewhere you would definitely want to get involved with. I have no idea what your experience is, but local politics usually stay local. What I am trying to say is, if your trying to work in politics, you need to volunteer a massive amount of time for a Governor's or Senator's campaign and try to move on up from there (not easy at all).

2. If you want to work with the constitution, you need to learn it. Law school is probably the way to go, do not go pulling a Glenn Beck and just start spewing BS because you read a few lines every few days. You make yourself look... well...

3. The nation has never really been unified in its ideals. However, I believe now, more then ever before (and most likely because of the access to 24 hour media) you do not have bi-partisan efforts. From what I have been told about DC back in the day, R and D would fight it out all morning, then go eat lunch and be good friends, then in the afternoon they would come to an agreement. Who really knows though right?

4. Be ready to suck a lot of penis, and be ready to sell your soul out for stuff that you may be completely against. I have a few friends working some higher profile races, and lets just say that it is comedy hour when they tell me how they had to speak to a pro-life group about how pro-life they are (hint: they are not pro-life). Also, most of the people running for offices are egotistical and sociopaths (to an extent). So have fun working for "conservatives" (if that is your plan) who go out and bang hookers and whisper sweet nothings like "your fucking the next president". Twenty dollars to the first person who guesses who came up with that sweet line!
ineedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:15 AM   #4
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

I don't think national politics is anything i want to be a part of anymore. I've talked to several individuals and it doesn't seem like its worth it. It seems to be the concensus of several politicians that democracy just can't function in such a diverse nation.

It was explained to me like this. Democracy as employed in the US gov was a great idea and very functional when it was originally designed because most people in the nation were moving in the same direction/had relatively similar ideals. The laws were passed and progress was made because of a lack of opposition from differing ideals. There was no two sides to issues like gay marriage/national healthcare/illegal immigration. People may have been gay but it wasn't something to be proud of and the community at the time wasn't seeking equality/ national healthcare would have been approved had the neccisity existed just as so many other gov services do/ The idea was to expand the nation so immigrants were necessary but there was still a process and documentation.

But in recent history there are so many issues and so many groups that want so many things that any decisions made appease as many constituants as they piss off. By the time most new legislation gets passed it is so watered down its almost pointless.

This came as a bit of a shock to me. I had been pretty fired up about politics before this conversation.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
ineedone
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I don't think national politics is anything i want to be a part of anymore. I've talked to several individuals and it doesn't seem like its worth it. It seems to be the concensus of several politicians that democracy just can't function in such a diverse nation.

It was explained to me like this. Democracy as employed in the US gov was a great idea and very functional when it was originally designed because most people in the nation were moving in the same direction/had relatively similar ideals. The laws were passed and progress was made because of a lack of opposition from differing ideals. There was no two sides to issues like gay marriage/national healthcare/illegal immigration. People may have been gay but it wasn't something to be proud of and the community at the time wasn't seeking equality/ national healthcare would have been approved had the neccisity existed just as so many other gov services do/ The idea was to expand the nation so immigrants were necessary but there was still a process and documentation.

But in recent history there are so many issues and so many groups that want so many things that any decisions made appease as many constituants as they piss off. By the time most new legislation gets passed it is so watered down its almost pointless.

This came as a bit of a shock to me. I had been pretty fired up about politics before this conversation.
I am going to have to disagree with you. There are major problems with politics. Most stem with the amount of money that is put into lobbying, and how most politicians seem to have lost the "public service" calling. Instead, going into politics, at the national level at least, is a resume booster. Senators will go serve a term or two, fully aware that after they have left, they will be hired by a firm and make a few hundred million dollars.

As much heat as Obama has taken, he has pushed through some major legislation, a lot of which the general public benefits from (no matter how much Glenn Beck tries to tell you you have not). Bush 2 was the same way. A lot does get done, but when you rely on the morning news shows, you really do not get to see what has been done. CSPAN and lots of extra time and maybe you can do enough research to see the vast amount of work they do.

If you have a true passion for politics go for it. Just know that for the most part, you make pennies for pay. There is money in it, just have to really know what you want to do, and how low your willing to go!

If you do not mind me asking are you a D or a R? and where are you located?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

I'm not going to jeopardize anyone's political careers with my comments as the conversations were had in a closed doors setting so I won't exctly say where I'm from. Just that it's in the midwest. And I can't really relate with either party anymore.

I don't feel as though politics is for me. I couldn't cope with the helplessness of giving power to a party and its will and letting down my constituants.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
ineedone
Zilvia Member

Quote:
I'm not going to jeopardize anyone's political careers with my comments as the conversations were had in a closed doors setting so I won't exctly say where I'm from. Just that it's in the midwest. And I can't really relate with either party anymore.

I don't feel as though politics is for me. I couldn't cope with the helplessness of giving power to a party and its will and letting down my constituants.
Fair enough. Politics is no longer truly about public service unfortunately. Midwest politics are very tough, its either conservative, super conservative, or Bible thumper. I feel most people within the 18-35 range are generally socially liberal, but fiscally conservative (to some extent). That does not fly with most of the midwest crowd...
Old 08-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
bb4_96
Zilvia Addict

Unfortunatley the midwest's entire system needs to be revamped but the reps are fearful of losing votes. Its lose lose for now.