Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #1
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nissan consult HELP

So I decided to buy a nissan consult to make sure my engine is running right before I slap on my new turbo and supporting mods and I am having trouble using it.I purchase the consult from eBay and tried installing the provided software that comes on the tiny cd that is included and I can't seem to get the program running. The software is in RAR format so I used win RAR to unzip it and when I click on the program to open it up it says an error occurred and the window with send error report pops up. Does anyone have experience with these things and is there any easier solutions that are more user friendly?
Old 05-30-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
GeneStarWindGSW
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (21)
GeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Look for the software ECUTalk, its one of the less complex software to use with Nissan Consult cable/adapter. You might need to purchase a Serial to USB adapter to make it work properly if you are using a newer OS or if you didn't buy a USB version, since most consult adapters still have serial port and i use to get errors with it finding the drivers (plus most new computers/laptops nowadays dont even have serial ports anymore lol).
GeneStarWindGSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm using my old laptop that has a serial port but which software is it v1 or v2 also are there any drivers required or do you just plug it in to your consult plug and open up software?
Old 05-30-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
GeneStarWindGSW
Zilvia Addict

GeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant futureGeneStarWindGSW has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline racer510 View Post
I'm using my old laptop that has a serial port but which software is it v1 or v2 also are there any drivers required or do you just plug it in to your consult plug and open up software?

you might need drivers, if so you can get them right off their website too.
http://www.ecutalk.com/interface.aspx
use their 1.3.4 or 1.3.5. v2 is their the LCD display
http://www.ecutalk.com/ecutalk.aspx
Old 05-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #5
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
I would highly recommend that you upgrade to a better laptop if youre trying to use something that actually has a SERIAL port! i cant remember the last time i saw a laptop with a traditional serial bus port... maybe pentium 3 or early pentium 4 days?

download ECUTalk. the free version doesnt allow you tune with it, just monitor and pull codes (which is all you need it for if you dont have NISTune). after you DL ECUTalk, plug the consult wire into both your car and laptop, put car into accessory (2 clicks on the key), you will have to scan each port if ECUTalk doesnt have autoscan. once you find the port that is making the connection, connect and start the car... choose which gauges you want to use to monitor activity and youre done! sit back and watch all the spiffy stuff ECUTalk is showing you that your car is doing!

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

The computer is only 3 years old and it is running 1.6 intel atom and is operating xp. Thanks dorki, how do I know if I in fact need to download a driver or not?
Old 05-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
GeneStarWindGSW
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
The computer is only 3 years old and it is running 1.6 intel atom and is operating xp. Thanks dorki, how do I know if I in fact need to download a driver or not?
Just plug it in and see if it asks for a driver or makes you look for one, if it doesn't and says serial port is "ready" then you shouldn't need any. you can follow dori's instructions or the ones off of ECUtalk's website.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Quote:
oh you know what, i remember that now. when you switch the datalink cable on... windows should prompt you to install a driver. the driver should be located on the CD somewhere. you dont actually need to use the install program supplied on the disc (at least i didnt, but ive worked IT for a long time so i know how to coax windows into doing what i want). once the driver is properly installed, the datalink cable should work seamlessly with windows and ECUTalk

Old 05-30-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Ok so windows can provide me with a driver that is compatible, am I understanding that correctly?
Old 05-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #10
jedi03
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
jedi03 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
No windows will help you find the correctdriver...it should be in that rat file on in the software that it came with
jedi03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Quote:
Ok so windows can provide me with a driver that is compatible, am I understanding that correctly?
no, put the CD in the CD-Rom. when you turn the consult port ON, windows will see it and ask you to install a driver. when it does this, choose the option to find your own driver... navigate to your CD-Rom, hit choose directory (or whatever it says) and windows should find the driver.

Old 05-30-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Ok thanks dorki gonna try it when I get home from work, will let you know how this turns out tonight.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #13
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
For consults I recommend this program.

http://home.exetel.com.au/nds/
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
If you can't get the serial port to communicate with the consult cable, Open the device manager and go to serial devices if there is a yellow ! Next to any of them it means the drivers didn't install correctly. Also you can open the properties and see which port it's linked to(normally 1 or 3) so you don't have to try each number in Ecu talk.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #15
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Good news!!! got the damn thing working using ecutalk v1.35 and there are a few things that i have found out. I have a fuel temp sensor code 42 whatever that is also my tps only sees 4.42v at wot and my voltage is at around 13.5-8 when it should be above 14(bat relocated to trunk). more to come as I only used it for about 30min and its really interesting seeing what the ecu is seeing in real time. One i got the program loaded it was a piece of cake. how do i use the logging feature?
Old 05-31-2014, 08:37 PM   #16
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

could it be because i am running a enthalpy tuned z32 ecu?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
cotbu
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
All of the sensors controlled by the ecu have a 5v max reading, so the tps voltage for wot is still good, in the wot range. When set at .45v closed, usually the reading for WOT is 4.10v-4.2~v.
The fuel temp code you have is a tune mistake, for your setup, if you don't have a fuel temp sensor, or choose to monitor fuel temp that is. That flag should have been turned off. I don't know what happens when the code shows up, but it can be turned off.
Ok battery voltage, you should have 14v at start up, but at operating temp, and stable idle, 13.5-13.8 is normal.

LoverTechnologies "Half Broken Things!"
cotbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:35 PM   #18
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Sileighty which datascan do you have the 1 or 1 dash? Cotbu what should AFM voltage be at lets say wot and idle?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:50 AM   #19
cotbu
Post Whore!

cotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nicecotbu is just really nice
At idle 1.00v-1.120v is considered normal. WOT can be anything because it's a not linear.
The ecu increases the voltage to make the hot wire give a readable value via the signal line, the ecu then does the math. So you could be pulling anywhere from 4.20v-5.12v at WOT on a z32mafs and not be making 500/600hp that the mafs has been rated for, same can be said for part throttle, other sensors are calculated along with the mafs voltage, so at cruise you are pulling 2.450v your not using 50 percent of the mafs capabilities..
Just a rule, if you happen to be pulling 5.00v or 5.12v on the mafs it's time to upgrade something. I have 3 cars here pulling the same voltage on the same z32mafs and the air/flow percentage is different for each one. I tried to explain it!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #20
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
At idle 1.00v-1.120v is considered normal. WOT can be anything because it's a not linear.
The ecu increases the voltage to make the hot wire give a readable value via the signal line, the ecu then does the math. So you could be pulling anywhere from 4.20v-5.12v at WOT on a z32mafs and not be making 500/600hp that the mafs has been rated for, same can be said for part throttle, other sensors are calculated along with the mafs voltage, so at cruise you are pulling 2.450v your not using 50 percent of the mafs capabilities..
Just a rule, if you happen to be pulling 5.00v or 5.12v on the mafs it's time to upgrade something. I have 3 cars here pulling the same voltage on the same z32mafs and the air/flow percentage is different for each one. I tried to explain it!
Learning something new everyday, thanks. Now how do I datalog?
Old 06-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #21
cotbu
Post Whore!

Quote:
Learning something new everyday, thanks. Now how do I datalog?
When ecutalk scans for the registers and you tick what you want to monitor, at the bottom is a spot to tick log.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #22
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotbu View Post
When ecutalk scans for the registers and you tick what you want to monitor, at the bottom is a spot to tick log.

Sent from my Highly Tuned Galaxy S3.4!!!
Yes but where do I go to view the logs?
Old 06-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #23
ultimateirving
Zilvia FREAK!

ultimateirving is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yes but where do I go to view the logs?
You can choose a location to dump them to wordpad or notepad files.
Search the application in the settings menu to find the default location.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:02 AM   #24
ehhhregartless
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
ehhhregartless is making a name for him/her selfehhhregartless is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Would ecu talk connect if the car doesn't start but is left in ACC mode? I'm trying to diagnose an issue but my engine isn't able to turn over completely. I don't have any yellow exclamation points in device manager, I found the COM port it uses and the software seems to be installed perfectly. When I click autoscan it says "initialize failed". Am I doing something wrong?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #25
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Sileighty which datascan do you have the 1 or 1 dash? Cotbu what should AFM voltage be at lets say wot and idle?
Mines Data scan 1 since all my cars are OBD1
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote