Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-19-2008, 04:32 PM   #1
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
nissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nissandr1ft
Modifying exhaust to be quieter??

Well I know with the N/A KA my exhaust won't ever be quiet as long as it's 3", but Id like to see whats available. I'd like to just throw in a turbo to help quiet it down, but lack funds keep me from doing that in the near future. Currently I'm running a 4-2-1 header, catco 3", SSA Single 3" w/Magnaflow 4"x14" resonator (14419) welded in. I'm thinking of replacing the 4" resonator with the 4"x9" Magnaflow muffler (14319) to either go inline or replace the resonator. Another option I've been looking into would be getting another muffler to replace the SSA that came on it. My car sits pretty low, and I've already done some work on the piping to raise it a bit. My new job puts me on around a 40 minute commute each way, and I want less droning on the interstate. Should I just go ahead, and get something else, or work with what I have? Suggestions on mufflers that will help get rid of rasp, noise, and droning noises?

Car for reference...
nissandr1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 PM   #2
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
If the 240 is your only mode of transportation, you should just save up for a cheap daily commuter car for work and keep the 240 for fun.
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #3
Addicted2Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
Addicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfectionAddicted2Kouki is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandr1ft View Post
Suggestions on mufflers that will help get rid of rasp, noise, and droning noises?

Car for reference...
welding in a muffler in place of a resonator would be stupid, especially for turbo.

if you want it to quiet down... just put in more resonators... or switch out the exhaust.

maybe stock with bigger piping.

what was the point of getting an exhaust especially an SSAC fartcan when you are trying to avoid... rasp, noise, and droning noises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreansurfer View Post
zenki's are for poors and lames

with the exception of norm who is big ballin
FS:CUSCO,GREDDY,KA-Tparts
Addicted2Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
firelizard
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
firelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Got room for an 18" resonator?

Or yeah, like you said, another muffler....

Sounds like you might as well just go back to stock though if you're thinking of that.

Or, if you really need to keep the 3" for performance (I dunno, seems big for N/A 2.4L to me, but I'm not an expert), try laying down more sound deadening material. They make some spray on stuff that you could coat your floor with, then cover with eDead or equiv.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Ditch the SSAutocrap canister muffler and add a Magnaflow or similar muffler with custom tips. That combined with the resonator will help.

With the header and 3" piping it will never be "quiet" again. But you can make it more tolerable.

BTW, firelizard, N/A KAs LOVE 3" piping.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
kingyogi
Zilvia Junkie

kingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nicekingyogi is just really nice
wana part with your wheels?

need somethin like that for the drag strip.
Thanks in advanced
Old 01-19-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

nissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura aboutnissandr1ft has a spectacular aura about
Well my past jobs never had me at more than a 10 minute drive, and I've lived with it for the past 3yrs. All the mufflers/resonators Im looking at are perforated/straight thru so they don't kill velocity to bad. I'm thinking about this muffler to replace the SSA muffler...http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=793. I have the SSA exhaust because it was free... one friend had the front half, and another had the rear half.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Bubba
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
Bubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-knownBubba is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I actually think that may help out a lil bit, not too much though. I also think it will look better than the SSautoCrap setup that is on their now. Measure the can that is on the back and see if you will need to add or remove some of the piping to make it fit, you don't want it hanging way past the rear bumper like some cheap Honduh exhaust.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
02BRB20
Zilvia Member

02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore
silencer????
02BRB20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:34 PM   #10
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02BRB20 View Post
silencer????
Nothing makes more sense then a header, high flow cat, 3" piping...

...and then constricting it all down to a 1" hole in a silencer.
Old 01-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
bram StRoker

bram StRoker is an unknown quantity at this point
i thinks it hilarious that u said put an exhaust on it to quiet the car down. if thats the case i want your life
bram StRoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
firelizard
Zilvia Addict

firelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond reputefirelizard has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
BTW, firelizard, N/A KAs LOVE 3" piping.
Very good to know!

In that case, I would stick with just extra sound deadening.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

Well I'm not talking back to OEM quiet, and realistically I know it won't. It just seems that even all my N/A KA friends cars are quieter than mine. I'm going to be foaming the chassis with (http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...Id=1611574493), and putting paint on bed liner (http://www.protectakote.co.uk/kits.htm) in the trunk which will hopefully help a bit.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #14
BigCrash

BigCrash is making a name for him/her selfBigCrash is making a name for him/her self
You might look into this. I've run them on a few of my cars to keep the noise down.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_exh...=251&pageNum=1
BigCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
murda-c
Post Whore!

murda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfectionmurda-c is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to murda-c Send a message via MSN to murda-c
You should stick a silencer in the tip.

take it out when you aren't commuting and you want it to be loud.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:20 PM   #16
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

I have a silencer, but with the SSA one it tends to rattle at idle, and whistle if Im on the gas. Theres only room for the one seal silencer, where as the double walled kind tend to work fine. It annoyed me because I don't always feel like getting out of the car to pull out the silencer, and even then a lot of local tracks have a DB limit that I may need to worry about in the future.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #17
02BRB20
Zilvia Member

02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore02BRB20 is not welcome here anymore
Quote:
Nothing makes more sense then a header, high flow cat, 3" piping...

...and then constricting it all down to a 1" hole in a silencer.
beats the hell out of welding and cutting and modifying the exhaust he already has. Pop a silencer in, bam problem solved.

what does performance matter when your DD'ing on the highway hoping cops dont hear your exhaust.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM   #18
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Because you can have both. Performance and not an annoying, raspy drone. You just have to buy or piece together a decent exhaust.

If you're going to do it, do it right. Silencers are like "Band-aids". They don't really fix the problem.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:08 PM   #19
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

The apexi exhaust control valve may be the worst case scenario, but I want to try other paths first. The way that valve is sitting I can see that not opening 100% all the time, and killing velocity. Are there any suggestions on mufflers to check out? Will an oval muffler muffle more than a round one? Any suggestions on ones to check out? The one I posted the link of a few posts up is 5x8 w/ 7" tip which seems relatively similar to my current one. I'm thinking it'd be easier to fit a round muffler over oval though since my piping runs out at an angle. Any suggestions on ones to try out? Any other resonators to try out over the current one... before I cut it up, and raised it the resonator hit the ground a few times (looks like it may leak in the near future).
Old 01-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #20
firelizard
Zilvia Addict

What about an A'PEXi WS2?

I haven't installed mine yet, but I hear they're supposed to be very quiet.

Turbo version is 3" isn't it?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #21
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelizard View Post
What about an A'PEXi WS2?

I haven't installed mine yet, but I hear they're supposed to be very quiet.

Turbo version is 3" isn't it?
Do you have any dimensional sizes of the muffler? I cant seem to find any info, but it looks like Id have to modify my piping quite a bit to run it straight out.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:06 PM   #22
02BRB20
Zilvia Member

Quote:
If you're going to do it, do it right. Silencers are like "Band-aids". They don't really fix the problem.
ok, but he already did. I agree that you do it right the first time around but the OP already has an exhaust. Get a silencer, pop it in, bang problem solved.

Oh, and I didnt know band-aids didnt work? Guess I should take off the one thats on my cut finger.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM   #23
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

They don't fix the cut.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #24
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
3" all the way thru. 14-18" resonator and the bigest 3" OVAL muffler you can fit.

I have seen on the dyno more HP and TQ with a 3" than a 2.5". Intake, header, resonated test pipe, 14" resonator and a huge oval can.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #25
unicoladron
Zilvia Junkie

unicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choicesunicoladron has made poor choices
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram StRoker View Post
i thinks it hilarious that u said put an exhaust on it to quiet the car down. if thats the case i want your life
i think you meant to rip on him because he said "I'd like to just throw in a turbo to help quiet it down". I know what he means by that, because NA tends to be more raspy than turbo. poor attempt at flaming.

but yes, straight through fart cans are raspy. if you choose to retro-fit with that magnaflow muffler, it will definitely make you happer, and provide a nicer tone since you already have a resonator. Magnaflow exhausts are easily sourced, and are relatively cheap.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #26
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandr1ft View Post
The apexi exhaust control valve may be the worst case scenario, but I want to try other paths first. The way that valve is sitting I can see that not opening 100% all the time, and killing velocity. Are there any suggestions on mufflers to check out? Will an oval muffler muffle more than a round one? Any suggestions on ones to check out? The one I posted the link of a few posts up is 5x8 w/ 7" tip which seems relatively similar to my current one. I'm thinking it'd be easier to fit a round muffler over oval though since my piping runs out at an angle. Any suggestions on ones to try out? Any other resonators to try out over the current one... before I cut it up, and raised it the resonator hit the ground a few times (looks like it may leak in the near future).
ECV killing velocity??? Are you shitting me? If the 600-800 hp skyline guys here uses it, what makes you think it wouldnt be a good idea on a NA KA??? How much power do you think your gonna loose with this thing, that adding a resonator wouldnt do???

Here's a good demo: RB26 + 90mm + Un-Muffled canister = worse than fencepipes on an SR

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV3iOml9s1g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV3iOml9s1g[/ame]

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #27
nissandrift
Leaky Injector

nissandrift is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to nissandrift
Just because a 900hp car has the ECV doesnt mean that it didnt lose horsepower installing it... who knows he may have had 950 without it. I'm just saying that if my 3" exhaust doesnt match the 80mm housing very well, or the valve doesnt open up parallel to the path that the exhaust travels it could hurt velocity. I was careful when I ordered the resonator to find one that didnt have the scoops, but just perforated holes which shouldn't hurt power to much. Either way, N/A to me means that I don't have much to sacrifice in the power department.
nissandrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #28
nissandr1ft
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissandrift View Post
Just because a 900hp car has the ECV doesnt mean that it didnt lose horsepower installing it... who knows he may have had 950 without it. I'm just saying that if my 3" exhaust doesnt match the 80mm housing very well, or the valve doesnt open up parallel to the path that the exhaust travels it could hurt velocity. I was careful when I ordered the resonator to find one that didnt have the scoops, but just perforated holes which shouldn't hurt power to much. Either way, N/A to me means that I don't have much to sacrifice in the power department.

I changed computers, and just realized my old account was never deleted... either way it was me.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 AM   #29
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
How big are you headers?? and downpipe???

I have a 3" header and downpipe going out a of a 4" catback with no res (Apexi GT basically). That shit was loud!!! Too loud! I also lost a lot of low end toque. I put the back the stock header and downpipe and now I'm golden. It's where I want it but the pipe is rub my sway bar once in a while it is dumb... Way better low end and mid end toque.
So if your headers are bigger then your stock stuff it could be that.

my 0.02 cents.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 03:30 AM   #30
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Who don't you just run stock exhaust.

No noise no problem.