Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-01-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
ChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her selfChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ChicagoS14
Lightbulb Created a 240SX Guide

So this has been a project that I have been putting off for over a year now. I was supposed to have it done way before but finally over the winter due to having less hours at my job and decided to finally get going on it.

Now there are numerous guides out there and many write ups and stickys but unfortunately non of them are compiled into a single easy to navigate and use web site and many links are dead and/or missing links. As a result I decided that I would undertake the job of compiling all the data and media across the internet into a single site.

So without further ado here is the webpage: .:: 240SX Guide ::.

I would appreciate your comments, criticism, ideas, suggestions etc. And I will be crediting all the sources / authors etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
zooopreme
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (38)
zooopreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 38 reviews
Looks good so far as far as how you laid the information out. Now, where is the info going to come from? And for the "Engine + Swaps" section is going to be just information on specs of the swaps or is it going to be how-to's, etc.?

Will be bookmarking this in hopes for more great info
For Sale #1 | For Sale #2
zooopreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (21)
chiboy002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
only thing wrong is that kouki up there

nice man
Old 01-01-2011, 02:57 PM   #4
enkei2k
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: (29)
enkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfectionenkei2k is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
MAS = Mass Airflow Sensor
MAF = Mass Air Flow sensor

?? somewhat confusing, don't you think? unless you meant to say something else (MAP?) instead.

xquizitditz
enkei2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM   #5
s13dan
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
s13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enoughs13dan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Nice, good looking interface. I like it! All newbs with simpleton questions need to redirected to that site.
s13dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Irresistible is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn, finally I've found a '96 FSM. Thank you sir.

Now I can waste like 4000 pieces of paper to print the whole thing out... LOL.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
FWIW: Isn't there already a 240sx wiki?

Nissan 240SX Performance Modification - Wikibooks, open books for an open world

Would be nice if someone could actually update that.

Still nice start to the site. Hard to say how to go about it, but certainly accumlating some of the basic FAQ's on here wouldn't be a bad idea and then laying it out as you are...or maybe help edit that wiki page?

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irresistible View Post

why would you wanna print it? i just reference w.e i need or print single pages cause stapling/hole punching that thing would suck dick. And it would get crazy dirty if i used it in the garage while working
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiboy002 View Post
why would you wanna print it? i just reference w.e i need or print single pages cause stapling/hole punching that thing would suck dick. And it would get crazy dirty if i used it in the garage while working
I have nothing better to do with my time besides printing stuff...
Old 01-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #10
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
only thing wrong is that kouki up there

nice man

lol, truth.

Anyway all jokes aside, good job, hopefully these ends up being exactly what you want it to be.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #11
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Strange vq made the swaps list but not RB's.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:

If you goto college/school, may be worthwhile to look into your 'computer usage' policy and use it to your advantage. I printed my 'custom' FSM (combination of parts from the s15 FSM for the engine, and then the s14 one for the body and stuff) from school. When I was in school, they tacked on a 20 dollar charge for 'computer room use and material' -- I certainly took advantage of it.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:31 PM   #13
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

ChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her selfChicagoS14 is making a name for him/her self
Well as it stands the page is very bare. I havent had time to post everything up yet. I have folders and a good chunk of my hard drive dedicated to the 240SX. I have been collecting various things since I purchased my first 240SX in 2003. I have some hard to find brochures as well as factory catalogs that I will be uploading to the site in PDF or similar format.

The last few days I was finding a suitable layout and template that were fairly simple and easy to read. I will be expanding the site with extra sections such as Video and other media. I plan on also creating a Youtube channel and a Facebook possibly twitter. I also have a few other projects that I will interlink with the page.

Also thanks for pointing out the mistakes that I made thus far. I hope to get as much feedback and as many comments as possible to make the site as easy to use and hope that people can help to contribute with their own write up and content.

And as pointed out earlier there are a few decent guides and writeups already but many of them are incomplete and as mentioned not up to date. Ive seen this time and time again even with myself. People create something get a good thing going and then just let it sit and eventually it just disappears. I hope that this will not be the case with the site. I myself have been tired of searching for information and coming upon nothing more then dead links and missing pictures. NICO club also has an extensive 240SX guide section but much of their information has very vague and un organized information which often includes missing pictures.

Im trying to standardize the information and expand on it as much as possible.

As far as the banner its something for the time being. I will probably create a few variations and I will either change them seasonally or when I get better at CSS and other web design tools I will probably create a rotating set of images so upon every visit / refresh the banner will change.

Thanks for the comments so far hope to make good progress on it in the next few days.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #14
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
the emo font of the webpage title instantly made me bail
Old 01-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #15
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

The logo / title can and will be changed.

* updated the menu with more RB information
* going to be doing some major updates later tonight ( im still working on some cars at my shop )
Old 01-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
If you goto college/school, may be worthwhile to look into your 'computer usage' policy and use it to your advantage. I printed my 'custom' FSM (combination of parts from the s15 FSM for the engine, and then the s14 one for the body and stuff) from school. When I was in school, they tacked on a 20 dollar charge for 'computer room use and material' -- I certainly took advantage of it.
I'll look into this once I'm back at school. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:54 AM   #17
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
my fucking school charges per sheet of paper printed, even more for colored paper...

fucking thieves
Old 01-02-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
Future240
Future Moderator

Trader Rating: (17)
Future240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfectionFuture240 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Future240 Send a message via MSN to Future240 Send a message via Yahoo to Future240
Another small thing, when the engine swaps list drops down it is very hard to read against the font of the title page and the 97-98 FSM links are broken.
Future240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
TurboSE
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (15)
TurboSE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Good set-up, I like it...something I've always wanted was a "review" section for aftermarket parts. Something such as:

Brand X Coilovers:
Fits: S13
Time of install: 5 hours
Ease of install: Easy
Tips: Helps to have 2 people.
Would you recommend? No.

ETC.

Or even something similar to Amazon's review system:

Brand X Blinker Fluid:
***/*****
Old 01-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Irresistible
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
my fucking school charges per sheet of paper printed, even more for colored paper...

fucking thieves
I think my school actually charges $.10 per sheet... But I can always say it's school related and they don't charge anything. But how am I gonna justify like 100 pages.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #21
h2v7
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (3)
h2v7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
AWESOME site and idea

keep it updated with all sorts of HOW to guide with pics along the way cuz i just started to mod my 240 and a step by step from suspension upgrades to exhaust and whatout would be awesome

nico has it somewhat but missing pictures suck and directions are sometimes blah.
h2v7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #22
Lucas180
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
Lucas180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looks good so far nice simple looks work best!
Lucas180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
You should make em FS.
Instead of hole punching and stapling, just drill the holes out on a bench drill, put some nuts bolts instead of staples, file down the edges and say it's for skool project. Add a nice frame for the extra +.
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 PM   #24
chiboy002
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashiriya415 View Post
You should make em FS.
Instead of hole punching and stapling, just drill the holes out on a bench drill, put some nuts bolts instead of staples, file down the edges and say it's for skool project. Add a nice frame for the extra +.
lol make a project out of it
Color all the pictures with crayons
Quote:
I think my school actually charges $.10 per sheet... But I can always say it's school related and they don't charge anything. But how am I gonna justify like 100 pages.
a school project like above - or a powerpoint

my school charges like $.14 per sheet on black and white. That shit adds up and we get like 25$ in the account

100+ sheets wouldn't be enough
Old 01-03-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
jt1583
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
jt1583 is making a name for him/her selfjt1583 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
agreed that the Engine Swaps drop down menu is tough to read. Some kind of dark background for that drop down will make it better. I'm on google chrome and see no background.

A nice favicon will also help give the site some character.

It also looks like you've got another menu displaying "Uncategorized" above the horizontal grey bar. Could be a default menu showing through your custom theme.

Widgets and latin placeholders are down below too, I'd put something there or get rid of em.

I'd also get rid of things like 'Meta' in bottom right unless you plan on users being able to log in.

A good start though, and I like the idea. I am making something similar but more based around my car and it's repairs/mods, not a collection of info like yours. I would however not mind adding some of my content to the appropriate sections as I've got some high quality writeups and DIYs. Check out the site below and PM me if you want to share content.
jt1583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #26
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
are the links or write ups not ready? i can only see the first paragraph and those three dots (...) but i cant get the rest
Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #27
Silverbullet
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (2)
Silverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really niceSilverbullet is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Silverbullet
Quote:
If you goto college/school, may be worthwhile to look into your 'computer usage' policy and use it to your advantage.
the good ol days of printing out a whole semester's worth of power point slides.. lol.

There was a general limit, but if you did it in the engineering lab, it was unlimited for us.
Go back to whatever Honda forum you came from.
Silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #28
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
are the links or write ups not ready? i can only see the first paragraph and those three dots (...) but i cant get the rest
Yeah its a work in progress every night I will try to add as many pages as possible, buts its hours of work and I dont have much time as is between 2 jobs, going back to school and just life. But I promise it will be done hopefully before spring. Well it wont ever be done... idea is this keeps getting bigger with more contributions, but at least the general layout, look and majority of the information will be.

Thanks for the comments, keep em going.

Oh and ill try to fix the color and layout issues with the drop down menu, its annoying me as well.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:00 AM   #29
ChicagoS14
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1583 View Post
agreed that the Engine Swaps drop down menu is tough to read. Some kind of dark background for that drop down will make it better. I'm on google chrome and see no background.

A nice favicon will also help give the site some character.

It also looks like you've got another menu displaying "Uncategorized" above the horizontal grey bar. Could be a default menu showing through your custom theme.

Widgets and latin placeholders are down below too, I'd put something there or get rid of em.

I'd also get rid of things like 'Meta' in bottom right unless you plan on users being able to log in.

A good start though, and I like the idea. I am making something similar but more based around my car and it's repairs/mods, not a collection of info like yours. I would however not mind adding some of my content to the appropriate sections as I've got some high quality writeups and DIYs. Check out the site below and PM me if you want to share content.
Sounds good, feel free to message / PM me. I tried going on your page but some server error popped up. And I will try to fix the bugs soon.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:17 AM   #30
Pandapants
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Pandapants is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Pandapants
The rb20det came in a 200zr z31, not z32. Also, that page has some grammar issues
Pandapants is offline   Reply With Quote