Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
HKsilvia
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
HKsilvia is on the path to ruinHKsilvia is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to HKsilvia
to tknbkthrsdy4anfg (dang ur name is hard to spell...jk) :
u are a hero that giving us SRdet owners light from the dark. thank you for doing such project no matter it will succeed or not.
i can give you all my support available on achieving SR legal task, im using a S15 engine and im glad to use it to help u as a test subject. i even have the FSM available. and if you can really get SRs certified, i would definitely pay to certified it. im getting really sick of CA cops popping hood issue on all other zilvilians and such. i bet our SRs have better emittion than hot rod!!
sry for my poor grammer just want to know i will give you my full support. pm me if u need help and keep us update!!!
Old 02-04-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
billgerth
Leaky Injector

billgerth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKsilvia
to tknbkthrsdy4anfg (dang ur name is hard to spell...jk) :
u are a hero that giving us SRdet owners light from the dark. thank you for doing such project no matter it will succeed or not.
i can give you all my support available on achieving SR legal task, im using a S15 engine and im glad to use it to help u as a test subject. i even have the FSM available. and if you can really get SRs certified, i would definitely pay to certified it. im getting really sick of CA cops popping hood issue on all other zilvilians and such. i bet our SRs have better emittion than hot rod!!
sry for my poor grammer just want to know i will give you my full support. pm me if u need help and keep us update!!!
werd. despite the fact that there are a ton of dreamers and/or cheap asses on here who would rather deal with smog every 2 years, this thread obviously proves there are a significant amount of people interested.

keep it up tkn. this if for all of us who know this can be done, we've only needed someone with the resources and ambitions to get the ball rollin
Old 02-04-2007, 08:32 PM   #3
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Just make sure to do the sr20det's... And nothing gay like a sr20de.

Even if emissions parts need to be made it would still be worth it.

If you can come through with what you say you want to do my daily will be fun.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:14 AM   #4
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Hey everyone, sorry I havent been on in a while, i've been out doing stuff including rolling my fenders (wow that was a pain in the ass) and almost getting killed passing douchebags in accords on the touges around the napa valley.
So, here is what I am thinking, the FWD SR20DE in the state of CA's eyes is close enough to a RWD SR20DET to give us a little leway with the state. It should not be that hard getting it to pass (we have our own inhouse piggyback ecu and tons of experience using map tuning to pass smog) and the DET is close enough already that all I really need is the support. I am glad that a bunch of you have written, I am going to use this to help support my case. Because basically if I did the swap myself, I have the resourses to get mine legalized. but whoop dee doo, that doesnt do anything for the community of people that are driving LEGIT imports. So, I really want this to happen for the benefit of the 240sx community, but also to better the name of import drivers in general, and to rub it in the face of cops who harass us. Also, dont we all dream of making a name for our selves?
My arguements to take to my boss are:

*The SR20DE has been legalized in CA, it's probably close enough in the states eyes to not have to do the really indepth test. (Lots of time and $)
*There is enough interest in doing this, that for his business it could make some profit. (Obviously a good reason to start a project)
*The SR20DET is close enough sniffer wise that it shouldnt be that hard (I have someone's numbers from Nevada that are cleaner then my KA)
*I have inside, personal interest in this project (otherwise he wouldnt care)

Sorry if this doesnt makes sense, Im coming down hard off a redbull/ adrenaline/ warming up cause i've been chillin out side for two hours and its 32 degrees outside/ I almost died tonight rush.
But I really hope this works

EDIT: Is Touge Instinct a name of a crew? cause I came up with that as my excuse for passing the accord. I was thinking about what to say and this is my line "He was driving like a douche infront of me and my touge instinct kicked in and I just had to pass him, How was I to know that as soon as we got wheel to wheel a car would be coming the other way?"

$pending dead pre$ident$ J@CK@TT@CK!
Old 02-05-2007, 12:00 PM   #5
Flybert
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
Flybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfectionFlybert is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknbkthrsdy4anfg
EDIT: Is Touge Instinct a name of a crew? cause I came up with that as my excuse for passing the accord. I was thinking about what to say and this is my line "He was driving like a douche infront of me and my touge instinct kicked in and I just had to pass him, How was I to know that as soon as we got wheel to wheel a car would be coming the other way?"
Can you leave stupid bullshit like this out of this thread? Less wannabe initial D BS and more legalizing SR powered 240's.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
HKsilvia
Zilvia Junkie

HKsilvia is on the path to ruinHKsilvia is on the path to ruin
Send a message via ICQ to HKsilvia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tknbkthrsdy4anfg
i think it just because u want to pass him or it just pop up in your mind all of your sudden, but i got ur point, it happes. btw, maybe ur new to this forum, a lot of ppl here are really reactive with word like touge/mouhtain pass/initial D etc. so yea... beware.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 AM   #7
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

coreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfection
is there any hope for us rb people?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:49 PM   #8
racer98
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (128)
racer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant futureracer98 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 128 reviews
Send a message via AIM to racer98 Send a message via MSN to racer98
Old 02-05-2007, 05:00 PM   #9
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

tknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfectiontknbkthrsdy4anfg is close to perfection
Flybert- Sorry man I was a little strung out last night
Starting wednesday Im going to be working on this project a little harder.
Yes I am new, I've only known what forums were for like 3 months
Corean Surfer- One step at a time...

Old 02-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #10
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

coreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfectioncoreansurfer is close to perfection
^^not trying to rush you, just want to make sure were not forgotten
Old 02-05-2007, 07:10 PM   #11
S13Disco
Zilvia Member

S13Disco is making a name for him/her selfS13Disco is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to S13Disco
Legal SR would be NICE!!!!!! I drive my car daily so yea i always have to change routes because of cops and them setting up their surprise smog stations on the side of the road!! I HATE THOSE!!!! I have and S13 Redtop. Ill pay!!!
Old 02-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #12
FusionR240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
FusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond reputeFusionR240sx has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to FusionR240sx
i'll give you $300 to make mine pass...

OBDII car OBD-0 motor...
WUT?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM   #13
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
In Mass the scan your VIN number into the computer and everything like requirements comes up on the screen, there's no way around it because everyone who does emissions needs to use the same computer. Is there anyway this cert will help something like that?
Old 02-06-2007, 06:40 PM   #14
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Yes, with the certification a label is placed underhood that over rules what the computer says.
similar to this

But will instead say engine family SR20DET (or whatever the emissions technical name is)
emissions controls, AIV, CATALYST, O2 Sensor etc...
But it will also have the name of our shop and contact information if there is a problem, And obviously not be from Nissan.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:44 PM   #15
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
I'd be willing to pay up to $500, maybe a bit more to have a smog legal SR powered S13.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

This maybe a big undertaking, but can everyone that is interested send an email to [email protected] So i can keep a list of people interested easily at hand.
It would be good if you could include where you're livin, what chassis you have and what engine you have and maybe contact info.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #17
pablo180
Zilvia Member

pablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of lightpablo180 is a glorious beacon of light
Any new progress on this?
Old 02-06-2007, 08:01 PM   #18
drftsub
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
drftsub is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
mail sent, thanks for workin on this
Old 02-06-2007, 08:44 PM   #19
oscar
Leaky Injector

oscar is an unknown quantity at this point
email sent. thanks for all your dedication and work. would also pay 500 for this
Old 02-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #20
timtiminy
Zilvia Addict

timtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the roughtimtiminy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to timtiminy
email sent. hopefully we can really get the ball rolling on this.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:33 AM   #21
guitaraholic
Zilvia Junkie

guitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of lightguitaraholic is a glorious beacon of light
How much is the Total Cost going to be. I think what will keep people from jumping on board when it comes does to the money is the fact that they might figure, why pay for it when others can put forth the money to make it legal (free riding) there is a way we can get around that. Find out the total cost of it. Then pretty much make the total cost and divide it by the amounts that are paid in by everyone. Kind of like buying stock. Then, once the dues are paid, and its legal, everyone who has put in makes their share of profit from future people that go to legalize. The more you initially invest. The more you make in the future.

Just throwing that out as an idea.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:21 AM   #22
s13gold
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
s13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
hell yeahh im interested.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #23
koukikat180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
koukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfectionkoukikat180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to koukikat180sx
It would be nice to have my car legal. Then I don't have to buy a truck and trailer. I'd be willing to pay to have it legalized.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #24
kenshinS14sks
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
kenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to beholdkenshinS14sks is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i'll send an email after work =) like above says ^^^ any progress? what are the things that still need to get done... besides everything?
Old 02-12-2007, 01:36 PM   #25
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

Hey all, sorry no new news yet, still working on compiling information.
more probably wednesday.
Thank you all who have sent me emails.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:03 PM   #26
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
ok let me say this since no one has spoken up about it. Do not use the U.S. SR20DE as the basis for your arguement. The state specifically states that any FWD configuration is not legal in a RWD setup period!! That comes straight from the State CARB referee , who I had a big discussion with once about this stuff.
If your going to get your certification its going to have to be off the SR20det , RB25DET etc.
I should remind you, the biggest problem you will have is the fact that we are talking about engines only.
YOu stated in your first post about cars. Now if you want to do the SR thing right what you need to do is get it certified through your company in a RHD car. Then it would be legal for people to swap the engine into our LHD cars because the engine was certified in a car in California. I think your boss would say its to much trouble to certify the engine only since it was never offered on a U.S. platform in RWD configuration.

Once you have a car certified in California its another story though i.e. hence the whole statement by me about using a RHD car to do it. Now it just so happens that the only skyline ever certified in the U.S. was a R33GTST through the DOT and EPA by Motorex. This is on the books for anyone to look up as well.
Given that, the engine with the most likely chance to get a CARB E.O. sticker through your company would be the RB25DET the engine in the D.O.T.'d EPA's R33 Skyline GTST!! It would probably require a dual cat setup as that was what Motorex did.
So since that is most likely to succeed I smile bigtime. Why? I own a RB25DET powered S13. I would love that certification. Please contact me or I will contact you as I think we would most likely have quick success with that a lot sooner than the whole SR deal. Yes I will pay $500 for that.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
Old 02-12-2007, 05:59 PM   #27
coreansurfer
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq
Given that, the engine with the most likely chance to get a CARB E.O. sticker through your company would be the RB25DET the engine in the D.O.T.'d EPA's R33 Skyline GTST!! It would probably require a dual cat setup as that was what Motorex did.

this makes me happy
Old 02-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #28
tknbkthrsdy4anfg
Nissanaholic!

I wasn't planning on using the FWD SR as the basis, just as a fulcrum that the engine family (SR20DE) has been certified in the US. I am very aware that there are significant differences between them, most obvious is the turbo.
The reasons I chose to want to certify the JDM engine in the USDM car is the fact that the evaporative emissions (gas cap, canister, vac lines etc...) have already been certified in the US.
Everyone that has valuable info like this please, let me know! its all invaluable to the cause!

Old 02-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #29
pbcstylez
Nissanaholic!

pbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfectionpbcstylez is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to pbcstylez
email sent! (gluck w/ your progress)
Old 02-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #30
nrg
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
nrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud ofnrg has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to nrg
This topic has came up many times before. If you ran 100% of the emission stuff in the sr20det; you can pass SMOG with flying colors. The only thing it wont pass is visuals. The reason why most fail smog in many states is because when a sr20det swap is done to a usdm car, the AIV port is cut and pluged up (hits the steering). The exhaust gas recirculation valve is also removed along the charcoal canister and other such emission equipments.

You would have to make custom AIV valves just to get it all working correctly

driftingisgay.com
Closed Thread