Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-20-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
stillen
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
stillen is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which coilover is the most comfortable?

Hi everyone, I just would like to know from all of your experiences with coilovers for an S14. I will be using my car mostly on the street. I don't want to get shocks and springs. I want to get coilovers and I want your opinions regarding comfort. I am considering the following BC-racing vs Kbee vs Apex ExV if anybody has any experience with those. If there are any other coilovers that you think are very comfortable then please let me know. Thanks I would really appreciate your help.
stillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
coilovers are a performance mod, not something you get for ride comfort.

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
iHeartTheTouge
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
iHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfectioniHeartTheTouge is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
comfort and performance dont go together, you will have to sacrifice one or the other
Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
stillen
Leaky Injector

stillen is an unknown quantity at this point
I understand all of that but I want to know which are least stiffest? and any opinions regarding the BC racing or Kbee with ride stiffness?
stillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Search up tanabe they have some nice looking coils for DD.
"It's stiff and hurts my livers! I'M A HANDLING GOD!"
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
if the coilovers aren't as stiff then whats the point, go with coils and springs its just as good if you want a not so stiff ride and offers performance

plus its alot cheaper

otherwise man up and enjoy the ride with coils
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
DOOK
Post Whore!

DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
check for yourself on the websites you are browing for coilovers.... obviously a setup with 8/6 kg/mm or whatever will be softer than a 10/8 setup

Old 09-20-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
S14SwimShark105
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
S14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her selfS14SwimShark105 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to S14SwimShark105
look for the one with the softest spring rate, none of the coilovers you mentioned are soft.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 PM   #9
Quigs
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
Quigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond reputeQuigs has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I thought the reason for getting coilovers was for a stiff suspension??

If you want something for just looks (ride height adjustment) then just get some lowering springs/shocks. Coilovers, like everyone else so far has stated, are for performance and are built to be stiff. Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

P.S. - Coilovers aren't as uncomfortable as you are probably thinking. After two or three days of normal driving, you will probably get used to it. Your passengers (if any) wont like it, but oh well, sucks for them right? You drive a sports car...it's not like you're running a limousine service. As long as you are comfortable with how your car performs, that's all that's important. Feeling the road is half the fun of driving our cars

[end rambling on, and on, and on...]
Quigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
Nikeboy355
Zilvia Addict

Nikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond reputeNikeboy355 has a reputation beyond repute
Tein Basic might be what you are looking for...
Nikeboy355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #11
PRADOgy
Zilvia FREAK!

PRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfectionPRADOgy is close to perfection
If your not drifting or road racing.. i really dont see the need for coilovers, if you want a nice sporty setup with out the stiffness and can perform id rock some performance shocks and springs
Old 09-20-2007, 04:19 PM   #12
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
I my BC's there not to stiff on the right settings but even when there set to full stiff I could daily them. Not to many people on here have them or if they do they have the older one's the VH'S which are the same as the megan/greddy and apexi coilovers.

+1 for BC RACING
Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
SimpleSexy180
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
SimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfectionSimpleSexy180 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
tein basics for you buddy.
SimpleSexy180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:26 PM   #14
kdashy
Zilvia FREAK!

kdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfectionkdashy is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kdashy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeboy355 View Post
X2.

Or get lowering springs like everyone else is saying.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #15
TheSquidd
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
TheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheSquidd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
I thought the reason for getting coilovers was for a stiff suspension??
LOL what is all this misinformation being spread here?

Are you the guys that buy your KSports and just turn the dampening knob to 32?

No. You do know there's a balance to be had right? And in fact for grip a softer suspension can be key because your tires aren't bouncing and skipping everywhere because of your 10414kg Megan Racing Track springs and your 64 way adjustable Tiens are set to 64.

I'm not going to go into crazy detail cause I'm a noob in suspension land, but I'm sure someone that has half a brain here can chime in.

Smooth coilovers I have ridden in

s13 coupe (mine) - Silkroad / Section RM/A8 - Very nice, I daily it all the time, the shocks are getting a little worn now, but really very smooth when I got them. I run about 3 clicks in back and 4 up front (out of 8). Very little compression and body roll even at that setting, yet it absorbs bumps with ease. At the track it's awesome. I could use some front sway bars but I have no complaints about the shocks themselves.

S14 - K*Bee - Rode in my friends, slammed and dialed pretty soft, very smooth. Not a lot of movement either. Dampened the bumps very well.

Worst I've ridden in:

Tein HE s14 - Do not buy these.
Megan Racing S14 - Do not buy these.
TheSquidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
my KTS are pretty damn comfortable at half-stiff.

oh the spring rates are 8kg/6kg btw.

im pretty sure no coilover for the S chassis comes with spring rates lower than 8kg/6kg but if you are dead set on making your car ride like...a stock 240 but lower and must use coilovers...get some springs made in like 1kg?
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
MavericStephenc
Zilvia Addict

MavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfectionMavericStephenc is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to MavericStephenc
we already have a thread for this topic

Boycott Berkeley and code pink
MavericStephenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:03 PM   #18
MrChow
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (15)
MrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant futureMrChow has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to MrChow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquidd View Post
Are you the guys that buy your KSports and just turn the dampening knob to 32?

No. You do know there's a balance to be had right? And in fact for grip a softer suspension can be key because your tires aren't bouncing and skipping everywhere because of your 10414kg Megan Racing Track springs and your 64 way adjustable Tiens are set to 64.

I'm not going to go into crazy detail cause I'm a noob in suspension land, but I'm sure someone that has half a brain here can chime in.
LOL Love they first quote I'm soo using that!

Anyways what he said. I'm getting coil and I'm going to be DD a lot more then I track/racing. The reason why? I'm getting coil is for the adjustability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuaddict View Post
im pretty sure no coilover for the S chassis comes with spring rates lower than 8kg/6kg but if you are dead set on making your car ride like...a stock 240 but lower and must use coilovers...get some springs made in like 1kg?

SUSTEC PRO S-0C
are 6k/4k and they look really nice like I said before.

In the tech sector of these forums there a FAQ for suspension. Go read it.
WTT: 2 way for 1.5 way LSD
MrChow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:29 PM   #19
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
Whoever thinks ride comfort and handling don't go together is an idiot. I've said stuff about this a lot and for some reason people still don't understand it. It's all about the damper. And too stiff a damper, no matter how cool you think the car feels, is bad for handling. As far as ride comfort, if these forces are getting transmitted into the car and you're feeling them, think about what the tire must be going through. It's not good for grip.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 09:58 PM   #20
DOOK
Post Whore!

notice in my previous posts I never said a quality coilover can't have a good street feel, but it was a performance mod, not something you get for ride comfort. No matter what coilover, I've never been in a car that was as comfortable on coils as it was on stock suspension, but I've been in some that were close. You get what you pay for in coilovers, as was stated before, if you pay for Ksport or Megan Racing, that is exactly what you're gonna get. If you pay for moton dampers, you get moton dampers.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 AM   #21
Aoshi112
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (5)
Aoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really niceAoshi112 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aoshi112
KW V3 have a softer spring rate, forget how much they are off hand.
Aoshi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:16 AM   #22
drifting_changed_mylife
Zilvia Junkie

drifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymoredrifting_changed_mylife is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to drifting_changed_mylife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikeboy355 View Post
yeah my buddy picked some of them up last weeked and the ride is barable. its not TO stiff. plus it dropped his s14 about 2 inces
Old 09-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #23
trsilvias13
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (5)
trsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to beholdtrsilvias13 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Get stance or kts and purchase the optional 3k springs set .

Too rough? get 60 profile tires.

If you get 10k spring with stretch tires like 215 on a 10in wheel, it will be stiff, but if you get 10k spring and get 60+ profiles tires, it will be two different ride.

KTS works for me.
trsilvias13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #24
ZenkitonS14
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfectionZenkitonS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
K-Bees are like a cloud in between your car and wheels. Well, not really, but theyre pretty damn NICE. I think that in the long run, you wont be happy with the basics. They have no body adjustment, correct? The only way to lower them is by spring with preload or droop right?

Tel: 626-581-7200
Fax: 626-330-3155

275 S 3rd Ave. #2
La Puente, CA 91746

ZenkitonS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #25
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsilvias13 View Post
Get stance or kts and purchase the optional 3k springs set .

Too rough? get 60 profile tires.

If you get 10k spring with stretch tires like 215 on a 10in wheel, it will be stiff, but if you get 10k spring and get 60+ profiles tires, it will be two different ride.

KTS works for me.
you forget 275 with a 60 profile on a 10 inch wheel will be comfortable.. lol, 60 profile in 275.... SUPA COMFY TALL N WIDE TIRESSSSS!!! heh

(width of a tire also helps with comfort, smaller tires tend to fall into those street pot holes easier)
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:13 PM   #26
TheSquidd
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (7)
TheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfectionTheSquidd is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TheSquidd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenkitonS14 View Post
K-Bees are like a cloud in between your car and wheels. Well, not really, but theyre pretty damn NICE. I think that in the long run, you wont be happy with the basics. They have no body adjustment, correct? The only way to lower them is by spring with preload or droop right?
Remember also though you have huge boat tires that are absorbing a lot of the vibration from the road.
TheSquidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:16 PM   #27
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Want comfort? Easy... Tein Flexes. 6/4 rates and the valving is spot on for those rates. Very very smooth ride. I had them on my S13 and had people fall asleep in my car. The way they ride is very different from other more aggressive coilovers, and it's very apparent when seen from outside.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #28
614duece40
Zilvia Member

614duece40 will become famous soon enough614duece40 will become famous soon enough614duece40 will become famous soon enough614duece40 will become famous soon enough
get the apex's, can't go wrong with a name brand. and as far as comfort, coilovers are not comfortable, unless you have a vip car.
614duece40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #29
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by 614duece40 View Post
get the apex's, can't go wrong with a name brand.
Unless that name is from Japan.... I still haven't seen a JDM performance damper I'd upgrade to.

As for comfort, I'm pretty happy with my mild 11kg springs on Konis. It still pales in comparison to heavier sprung Ohlins.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:03 PM   #30
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Want comfort? Easy... Tein Flexes. 6/4 rates and the valving is spot on for those rates. Very very smooth ride. I had them on my S13 and had people fall asleep in my car. The way they ride is very different from other more aggressive coilovers, and it's very apparent when seen from outside.
+1

flex's have had their valving butt and shock dyno proven
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote