Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
-luong. is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sr stallen.grr

hey guys. I been having this problem since I Got my new set up. As the pics states i got a t3 top mount. it starts up great and idles great. studders a bit tho. (no vacum leaks) Anyways i went for a drive it and it's great but time by time when I hit boost then let go it stalls. Also when i come to a complete stop. I beleive the issue is Recirculation of the bov since mine is not vented. If that is there any thing i can adjust ? Here is pictures to show my set up. Thanks and i apolagize , i bleive I double thread this.

-luong. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
You mean your is not recirculated? I'm pretty sure if you recirculate it back to the intake after the MAFS then the stalling will stop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -luong. View Post
Also when i come to a complete stop. I beleive the issue is Recirculation of the bov since mine is not vented. If that is there any thing i can adjust ? Here is pictures to show my set up. Thanks and i apolagize , i bleive I double thread this.

Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
You mean your is not recirculated? I'm pretty sure if you recirculate it back to the intake after the MAFS then the stalling will stop.
Sorry yes its not recirculated. Yup it would be. im guessing thats the issues from all the search ive done. I only have one nosel that goes ouf of my Intake behind the MAF. Is it possibly to us it? Its very small so the hose fitting would be a problem. or best off cutting it and do some welding?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #4
Homer_Simpson
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Homer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruinHomer_Simpson is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Doesn't your BOV come with a kit that allow you to recirculate it via a smaller opening/nozzle so that you don't have to chop up your BOV?
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
4x4le is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 4x4le Send a message via Yahoo to 4x4le
It took a while for my problem to become really present but I found my turbo xs bov to start leaking some. Its supposed to come with shims so you can adjust it but I dont know where mine are. I shimmed mine with 2 quarters though and it works great now. Try it out! I started with 5 thinking that it probably needs a few to make a difference but I took them out 1 by 1 untill compressor surge stopped. I ended up having 2 in there and a great running car.

Also how are you tuned? Do you have controll of engine parimaters? Advancing the nutral decell timing slightly above the idle rpm all the way down to under it is a big help in helping it find its idle. Also having a slightly higher idle speed helps.
4x4le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM   #6
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Doesn't your BOV come with a kit that allow you to recirculate it via a smaller opening/nozzle so that you don't have to chop up your BOV?
No it didnt came with it. =( I do have a bosh bov that can be recirculated. but i need a long tube and not sure where on my intake pipe i can hook it up since thers no nosel. gota cut and weld unless i can somehow use the nosel thats 1 ich in diameter
Old 06-22-2009, 12:20 AM   #7
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4le View Post
It took a while for my problem to become really present but I found my turbo xs bov to start leaking some. Its supposed to come with shims so you can adjust it but I dont know where mine are. I shimmed mine with 2 quarters though and it works great now. Try it out! I started with 5 thinking that it probably needs a few to make a difference but I took them out 1 by 1 untill compressor surge stopped. I ended up having 2 in there and a great running car.

Also how are you tuned? Do you have controll of engine parimaters? Advancing the nutral decell timing slightly above the idle rpm all the way down to under it is a big help in helping it find its idle. Also having a slightly higher idle speed helps.
Great info this is somthing i was looking for.
I have 6 in it as of now. I thought making it firmer it would be better.
Are you reciuculating yours? or is it dump to the apmosphere? I would like to avoid reciculateing it
As for Tune it is stock. I havent touch the manage system or senors in anyway. What do you mean by engine parimaters and advancing the nutral decell timing?
Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #8
RPS13-604
Zilvia Junkie

RPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really niceRPS13-604 is just really nice
i would re-cirulate my car deos the same thing everytime i start the car about 4times a day between 1hr or so i will have a stalling problem when starting up and once i hit boost and let off and put it in neutral my rpms would drop to 0 and the car would die right out. But after re-cirulating all the problems went away
RPS13-604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPS13-604 View Post
i would re-cirulate my car deos the same thing everytime i start the car about 4times a day between 1hr or so i will have a stalling problem when starting up and once i hit boost and let off and put it in neutral my rpms would drop to 0 and the car would die right out. But after re-cirulating all the problems went away
I'm taking your advice. ill try the others and if nothing comes along back to the bosch bov.
Thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Great info this is somthing i was looking for.
I have 6 in it as of now. I thought making it firmer it would be better.
Are you reciuculating yours? or is it dump to the apmosphere? I would like to avoid reciculateing it
As for Tune it is stock. I havent touch the manage system or senors in anyway. What do you mean by engine parimaters and advancing the nutral decell timing?
Thanks

If you have 6 quarters in yours your probably getting so much surge that is why its killing out. Mine is open vented, but if your on the stock tune, well the stock tune dont like open air bov's. I honestly dont see how/why your on the stock tune with that turbo though. I dont see how that will ever work honestly.

By ecu parameters I mean having a setup where you have the ability to control what your engine does at all times within your tune. Increasing the idle speed some, reducing minium pulsewidth to 0 and advancing your nuteral decell timing does wonders for open air bovs. It makes the problems with them not even present.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #11
VQMaxFan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
VQMaxFan is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Looks like it wouldn't hurt to polish up the piston in the bov. looks pretty dirty. I usually polish mine up every month or so.
VQMaxFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #12
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
If you have 6 quarters in yours your probably getting so much surge that is why its killing out. Mine is open vented, but if your on the stock tune, well the stock tune dont like open air bov's. I honestly dont see how/why your on the stock tune with that turbo though. I dont see how that will ever work honestly.

By ecu parameters I mean having a setup where you have the ability to control what your engine does at all times within your tune. Increasing the idle speed some, reducing minium pulsewidth to 0 and advancing your nuteral decell timing does wonders for open air bovs. It makes the problems with them not even present.
Reason for stock tune is lack of cash. reason for cheapo kit that works. i drive it around still and it runs and response normal. just more kick. it also aircared just fine.After i get bills paid off and course ill reconsider a tune maf and injecters
thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQMaxFan View Post
Looks like it wouldn't hurt to polish up the piston in the bov. looks pretty dirty. I usually polish mine up every month or so.
I did take it apart and gave it a good clean up bit got dirty the next week....leak>?
Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #14
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Reason for stock tune is lack of cash. reason for cheapo kit that works. i drive it around still and it runs and response normal. just more kick. it also aircared just fine.After i get bills paid off and course ill reconsider a tune maf and injecters
thanks
Awe, I wasnt saying nothing like cheap kit or anything like that. I try not to knock peoples setups because everyone knows their own budget better than anyone else. I was just thinking thats a large turbo for a stock tune. Just be careful about boosting untuned and youll save cash not blowing the motor.

Once someone that knows what their doing tunes your setup you will have allot less problems like this.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:00 AM   #15
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Awe, I wasnt saying nothing like cheap kit or anything like that. I try not to knock peoples setups because everyone knows their own budget better than anyone else. I was just thinking thats a large turbo for a stock tune. Just be careful about boosting untuned and youll save cash not blowing the motor.

Once someone that knows what their doing tunes your setup you will have allot less problems like this.
lol No worries I wasn't taking it like that. It is a much cheaper kit then others, i'll admit. Thats one thing I plan on not doing. =p Last thing I need is a blown moter. What would you recomend for Injector size and ecu?Not sure if I should go standalone system or piggyback. Also I'll be staying at 8 -10 psi. I dont plan on going any further.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
-luong.
Leaky Injector

Thanks for all your help. Got it done. It was also my bov. not sure what was wrong with it but i slaped it on my freinds 240 and it did the same thing as mine. But i resiculated it anyways just to be safe.=) thanks again
Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 PM   #17
4x4le
Zilvia FREAK!

if its leaking boost and you recirculated it your still leaking boost and that is still bad even though it isnt killing out. You want to shim it a little if you dont have it shimmed.

So not to go offtopic and have this thread for a long discussion about tuning options hit me up in a pm and I can chat with you about your plans and needs.
I do tune nissans so Im sure I can offer some advice
Old 06-29-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
johngriff
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
johngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfectionjohngriff is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to johngriff
If you open the IACV up a little using the screw, and add on some hose length or larger diameter, it will stop the stalling with open atmosphere bov and maf.