Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #91
98s14inaz
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection98s14inaz is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Definitely put your original vin plate on your new dash, paint the rivets black too. If you do not do this a ) you will get in trouble, b ) the next person that register's your car (at least in az) gets to register it as a "re-manufactured" vehicle with a new az vin number. I have one of these vehicles and it gives me sort of a loop hole with the whole sr thing in case they ever start cracking down on them here in AZ.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #92
DALAZ_68
not giving a fuck

Trader Rating: (104)
DALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfectionDALAZ_68 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 104 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DALAZ_68 Send a message via Yahoo to DALAZ_68
dare i ask how does that give u a loop hole?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98s14inaz View Post
Definitely put your original vin plate on your new dash, paint the rivets black too. If you do not do this a ) you will get in trouble, b ) the next person that register's your car (at least in az) gets to register it as a "re-manufactured" vehicle with a new az vin number. I have one of these vehicles and it gives me sort of a loop hole with the whole sr thing in case they ever start cracking down on them here in AZ.

CLUB LEXUS : Wh0pp3r
DALAZ_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:05 PM   #93
landins13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
landins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choiceslandins13 has made poor choices
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i want to poop on this thread, when you swapp your dash get a ford probe vin and put that on there. its bout as good of an idea as not swapping the vin plate with the correct one.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #94
Black240Ct
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
Black240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enoughBlack240Ct will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Black240Ct
i didnt swap vins. dont know what i was thinking
got pulled over
cop ran my dash vin and the cars vin.
'luckly' the dash vin wasn't reported ask stolen and he didnt care
Black240Ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #95
Fonix36
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (34)
Fonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really niceFonix36 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Fonix36 Send a message via Yahoo to Fonix36
fuck that my shit looks ghetto as fuck but my vin is there its all bent and shit but still holding on

DRiFT 4 A Cure!
Fonix36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #96
Ghost240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Ghost240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Takes like 5 mins.

Ghost240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #97
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
pictures forwarded to pennsylvania state police.

just kidding.

but yeah, you shouldn't go around posting that shit.
Seizure of vehicles with removed or falsified numbers - 75 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 7105 - Pennsylvania Attorney Resources - Pennsylvania Laws
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #98
SlideWell
Zilvia FREAK!

SlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfectionSlideWell is close to perfection
id rather swap out my vin than risk getting my car impounded for 20 days like last time cuz the police thought it was stolen.
SlideWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #99
Ghost240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (12)
Ghost240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy View Post
pictures forwarded to pennsylvania state police.

just kidding.

but yeah, you shouldn't go around posting that shit.
Seizure of vehicles with removed or falsified numbers - 75 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 7105 - Pennsylvania Attorney Resources - Pennsylvania Laws

Its fine as long as I have receipts of the items being purchased. And I do, its gotta get inspected so I can get my R title.
Ghost240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #100
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
doing it properly and keeping the documentation intact. i think my mind has been blown.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #101
BustedS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to BustedS13
i got pulled over with the dash vin missing (had forgotten to put it on) and the doorjamb one painted over. dude didn't care, just told me to put the dash one back on, gave me my speeding ticket, sent me on my way.

just change it. all this fearmongering about "tampering"... they're not talking about this.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:35 AM   #102
zenki.life
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (27)
zenki.life is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to zenki.life
Quote:
Originally Posted by BustedS13 View Post
i got pulled over with the dash vin missing (had forgotten to put it on) and the doorjamb one painted over. dude didn't care, just told me to put the dash one back on, gave me my speeding ticket, sent me on my way.

just change it. all this fearmongering about "tampering"... they're not talking about this.
cops can be pretty gay sometimes though. especially especially especially(yes three times for emphasis) when the county is low on funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by super240s14 View Post
man you all are ass holes...... and that is rude to talk like that on zilvia im reporting all you...... ZILVIA ADMINISTRATION PLEASE BANNED ALL THREE OF THESE DUDES
^^another person learns the perils of "stupid posting" on zilvia, too bad none will care.
zenki.life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #103
240esux
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute240esux has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240esux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutrax View Post
What if you just rip the cars vin off the old dash and glue it over the the vin of the new dash?
Why in the fuck would you do that??? if the dash is out then put your old vin on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DONE!!!!!!!:ghey:
240esux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:58 AM   #104
S14_Kouki
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (4)
S14_Kouki can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i changed my vin and i did it the right way
S14_Kouki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #105
BustedS13
Post Whore!

BustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfectionBustedS13 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenki.life View Post
cops can be pretty gay sometimes though. especially especially especially(yes three times for emphasis) when the county is low on funds.
but if you swap out the vin plate in the comfort of your own home, how could they POSSIBLY figure out that you've swapped vins? and why would they question it if the vin matches the other vins on the vehicle? it makes no sense at all.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #106
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

original rivets and such. some states have special rivets for vin plates, and, as a result, some states make it a crime just to sell said rivets.

i know that this forum is just a bunch of 100% innocent silly kids restoring junky cars. and i really doubt a cop would be like, "a-ha, non-original rivets!" but you guys also need to remember there is alot of fraud out there associated with vin tampering (cloning, rebadging stolen cars, etc), and the precautions you should take to keep yourself out of trouble will depend on where you live.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #107
BustedS13
Post Whore!

you can easily cut the backs off the vin rivets and then epoxy the whole thing in place.

this thread is ridiculous fearmongering. you all need to stop being pussies.

the absolute worst case scenario involves you saying "i bought it that way". seriously. fuck.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM   #108
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

then go ahead and do that man. you are welcome to do whatever you want.

personally, i really don't see the point of risking all that trouble when it's super easy to fix, legitimately or not. i'm not saying you'll automatically be fucked and your car impounded anywhere in the US. i'm just saying people should be aware, and do whatever they are going to do intelligently.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:20 PM   #109
wayneSR20
Leaky Injector

wayneSR20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to wayneSR20
i kno this is a old tread but i went through it i got arressted these nyc pigs dnt care, they wanted to have me on a federal case for swaping ma own dash. both cars where mine jus one was crash and i had both plates in ma ash tray.
wayneSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #110
wayneSR20
Leaky Injector

wayneSR20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to wayneSR20
this asshole cop did and said the same shit to me here in ny the jus lookin to get every 1 i told him i never got arrested he said first time for everything buddy. dumb me i had the front bumper off wit a big ass intercooler and no dash vin plate on(in the glove box chillin)
wayneSR20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #111
saleaf
Zilvia Junkie

saleaf is an unknown quantity at this point
i bought my car with a replacement dash installed already and the mix matched vins.... i haven't had any problems yet. but this is something i never even though twice about. even though this is an old thread, its still a helpful reminder. better safe than sorry. i will be contacting the CHP soon to keep it legit.

P.S. never admit guilt. unless you like going to jail .....
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #112
miravete
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (44)
miravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleaf View Post
i bought my car with a replacement dash installed already and the mix matched vins.... i haven't had any problems yet. but this is something i never even though twice about. even though this is an old thread, its still a helpful reminder. better safe than sorry. i will be contacting the CHP soon to keep it legit.

P.S. never admit guilt. unless you like going to jail .....
having mix-matched VIN's is enough motive for a cop to impound your car.

best bet is, remove the vin (one that doesnt match your car), call chp and tell them you bought the car, and the previous owner swapped out dash's and you no longer have the original vin.

chp will inspect your car, and they will blue tag your car. (blue tag is a "blue tag" that is riveted to the side of the door that contains the vehicles vin and special case number.

special case number is in file with chp that indicates that your car is missing a vin

and then you can rock your dash with no vin

oh, and if you guys forgot, rivets are special. by that i mean each motor company uses a different type/color/size of rivet. so trained ref. officers can detect "false" rivets.

aaaand on a side note,

if you grab the dash, and push the rivets from the bottom using something that is the same size as the rivet bottom, they slide out
(thats if youre buying a dash from the junkyard only )
Old 06-16-2010, 11:28 PM   #113
Gizmo_S13
Zilvia FREAK!

Gizmo_S13 is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought my car with mix matched vins on the dash I told the previous owner about it and he said he didn't even notice that the vins didn't match so I ran them both and no problems. DEFINITELY gonna clear this up with CHP this coming week and see if I can get blue tag.

Hachiroku, ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!!!
Gizmo_S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #114
miravete
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (44)
miravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant futuremiravete has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo_S13 View Post
I bought my car with mix matched vins on the dash I told the previous owner about it and he said he didn't even notice that the vins didn't match so I ran them both and no problems. DEFINITELY gonna clear this up with CHP this coming week and see if I can get blue tag.
DEFINITELY do.

and post your experience
Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM   #115
dued
Zilvia Junkie

dued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymore
Bumping this up. Anyone in California go through the blue tag process lately? I just called & the CHP has to remove the old vin apparently.
dued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #116
dued
Zilvia Junkie

dued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymoredued is not welcome here anymore
Alright, I figured it out. Just use a soldering iron to press out the original rivets from your old dash & place it into the new dash. All you have to do is heat up the rivet from the back side & push up, it pops right out in about 1 min of heating. To place into the new dash, re-use the soldering iron to widen the rivet holes, then press the VIN into place.

No drilling, OEM Rivets, Easy.
dued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #117
PlumCrazyCoupe

PlumCrazyCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy View Post
this shit is serious. like seriously serious.

here in NJ, merely tampering with the VIN plate = felony = up to 4 years in prison + never get a decent job again. the statute doesn't give a flying fuck if you own both the new dash and the car legitimately. you are not allowed to tamper with VIN plates, PERIOD. if you get caught you will be at the minimum out alot of money, and at the maximum fairly fucked for a long ass time.

local got totally owned by this. cost him about $2k to hire a lawyer and pay all fees to get it all cleared up .

i highly suggest you guys get it done properly, especially considering how easy it sounds. the proper method, btw, is definitely NOT swapping the vin plates.

proper way for you cali dudes:
http://zilvia.net/f/1941110-post37.html
This same rule absolutely applies in AZ as well. Seen many a Honda (Mostly RHD's) get impounded and some even destroyed because of this. Here it is actually mandatory that the MVD/DMV does it for you and documents it. Just sayin'
PlumCrazyCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:51 PM   #118
Zapiel
Leaky Injector

Zapiel is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm in California and last month, I swapped my cracked dash with a non-cracked dash on my s13. I bought the dash from Pick-N-Pull and lost the receipt (I paid with my debit card if that makes a difference). I also forgot to switch the VIN off my old dash (bummer!). Nonetheless, I no longer have the old dash.

How will I go from here when talking to DMV/CHP? I bought this car as a project and haven't smogged it yet either.

I was thinking about going back to Pick-N-Pull and buying a cheap dash from a crappy car, just so they will print out a receipt for me. And then use that receipt as a proof of purchase. What do you guys think?

I hope there is still hope.

Thanks
Zapiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:19 AM   #119
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
i have never seen cops bother check the vin, that one we did get stopped he just asked and i told him i just swapped the dashes. there is more than 1 spot on the car with the vin.... this thread is ridiculous
Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #120
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
oh wait y'all are in shitty ass california. dang, my bad. yes you need to get your vin right