Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #481
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
eklips3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 951's 330i View Post
Na i dont even know how to do that. Can i use any regular scanner? Imma search it right now
all you need is the ecu and a flathead

1992 240sx (RB20. 362whp@16psi)
eklips3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2010, 03:56 PM   #482
MyRBpissesMeOff

Trader Rating: (0)
MyRBpissesMeOff is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey guys Im new and my RB20 alternator just went out (along with alot of other problems) but anyway I have 3 questions for right now. The first is Im in the middle of replacing it but I cant find the damn pulley belt tensioner. I have taken all the bolts off except for the bottom bolt on the alternator but I cant figure out how to loosen the damn belt!

second I got my replacement alternator off ebay and one of the ground bolts is in a different spot than my old alternator. So Im thinking its from an rb25, will it still fit? I'll try and post pics soon.

and lastly, my car was dead on the street outside my house so I put in the new battery to drive it into my garage to work on, (took it off right after of course) It started up perfectly and all electrical worked but when I took my foot off the clutch it died, and no my car was not in gear lol it was in neutral. I tried it a couple more times but it kept doing the same thing.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Oh and this "excellent" swap was done by the crooks at unnatural for those of you that heard lol.
MyRBpissesMeOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #483
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

951's 330i is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklips3 View Post
all you need is the ecu and a flathead
Are you serious?? Lol I just looked at it and have no idea how the hell that would work
951's 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #484
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRBpissesMeOff View Post
Hey guys Im new and my RB20 alternator just went out (along with alot of other problems) but anyway I have 3 questions for right now. The first is Im in the middle of replacing it but I cant find the damn pulley belt tensioner. I have taken all the bolts off except for the bottom bolt on the alternator but I cant figure out how to loosen the damn belt!

second I got my replacement alternator off ebay and one of the ground bolts is in a different spot than my old alternator. So Im thinking its from an rb25, will it still fit? I'll try and post pics soon.

and lastly, my car was dead on the street outside my house so I put in the new battery to drive it into my garage to work on, (took it off right after of course) It started up perfectly and all electrical worked but when I took my foot off the clutch it died, and no my car was not in gear lol it was in neutral. I tried it a couple more times but it kept doing the same thing.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks guys.

Oh and this "excellent" swap was done by the crooks at unnatural for those of you that heard lol.
you mean you took off the bottom bolt that holds the alternator on ??
the tensioner is the longest bolt that you probably took off from the actual alternator bracket. that long bolt is connected to a little block that has another small bolt going through it. and that is what your tensioner is composed of.

your rb25 alternator will work. you might of saved some money by just getting your alternator rebuilt at a alternator shop.

as for your problem when you let off the clutch and the car turns off ....... no idea sorry.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:14 PM   #485
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Are you serious?? Lol I just looked at it and have no idea how the hell that would work

this is what you need ----> RB20DET and r32 GTST info - Northwest Nissans

Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 AM   #486
MyRBpissesMeOff

Yea I did already take off the bolt that goes through the slider bracket. But the belt is still tight and is blocking the bottom bolt on the alternator which is the last bolt holding it in right now.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #487
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRBpissesMeOff View Post
Yea I did already take off the bolt that goes through the slider bracket. But the belt is still tight and is blocking the bottom bolt on the alternator which is the last bolt holding it in right now.

Thanks

bottom bolt on the alternator ?
you mean the bolt that attaches the alternator to the engine block ?

if the belt is still tight and you have all the necessary bolts out then you can easily force the alternator downward to loosen the belt

Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #488
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

After trying to view the ecu, couldnt get much. No matter what way i turned the dial, it just kept blinking in this order: 1p 2p 3p 4p 5p and then 3 fast ones.

Recorded a video of how the car is acting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZkw-L5DRVQ

Dont know how to have just the video on here so posted the link
Old 01-09-2010, 02:23 AM   #489
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
After trying to view the ecu, couldnt get much. No matter what way i turned the dial, it just kept blinking in this order: 1p 2p 3p 4p 5p and then 3 fast ones.

Recorded a video of how the car is acting.

YouTube - Movie_0001.wmv

Dont know how to have just the video on here so posted the link

what do the p's stand for ? pause ?

so thats what goin on with your car hey ... judging by the video im stumped right now, im not sure what that behaviour could indicate

Old 01-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #490
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
what do the p's stand for ? pause ?

so thats what goin on with your car hey ... judging by the video im stumped right now, im not sure what that behaviour could indicate
Yeah they meant pause. Sorry lol.

Ok well yesterday i decided to take of the IM just to clean it if it was dirty. To my surprise it wasnt that dirty at all, no carbon build up really.

But after i removed, i found a sensor unplugged under iut. I think its a knock sensor or something like that. Theres two of them, one on each side, and the one closest to the fron of the car was unplugged.

I know for sure i didnt take it off, and i doubt i tapped it off when i was taking the IM off so im wonderin if it came off on its own sometime before or was never connected. Im wondering if this is why the car would turn off, maybe it was detecting a problem with it unplugged so it shut off the motor to prevent any damage??

Idk, ill post any info once i put it back together and let you guys know if anything changes.

Thanks again
Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 PM   #491
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Ok update. SO got everything plugged up and connected. No difference at all. It just started reving high at idle though until it turned off. Like at 1500 then gradually went down to 1300 and stayed.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 PM   #492
MyRBpissesMeOff

Ok Im a dumbass and completely thought that the belt was blocking the last bolt. I gave it another shot today and realized it worked lol. anyway I got the alternator out and was putting the new one in when all I had left to do was reconnect the grounds when I realized that my ground didnt fit over the new alternator ground bolt.

so how easy is it to splice a new ground with the wires?
Old 01-11-2010, 08:14 PM   #493
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I have another bogging down question. I changed my spark plugs to try to fix my bogg and now it only bogs once my motor warms up completley. Any help would be greatly appreciated oh and the spark plugs I'm using are ngk r bkr5e 11
Old 01-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #494
SilS13Coupe
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
SilS13Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My rb20 tranny sometimes is a bit hard to get into 2nd gear. My buddy said its the slave and master going out? could this be the issue?

Also how many qts of oil do the rb20 take?
SilS13Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:23 AM   #495
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
If they do work with OEM parts then thats were im going to be headed.

Hey bardabe, do you think you could do a quick look over at my wiring. I just looked at the ecu wiring and that ish looks all F'ed up. Plus i see some wires that arent event connected to eachother. Let me know if you have time just to give me your opinion on them. Thanks
yeah no problem PM me, so we can figure out a date and time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
I'm definitely thinking about it lol. LSx coils would be preferable, but like I posted above, I'm not sure if they're compatible. They're half price of new OEM Nissan coilpacks though, so I'm very tempted to try.

Juan's one of the only people (besides myself ) that I'd recommend for wiring and technical troubleshooting, consider this a *vouch* for Bardabe Perf Development!
the cheapest way to go about it would be with the Grand National set up. I have spark plug wire making tools. you just gotta order the wires and boots from Summit racing.

Call me later today i want to try something out with an RB car to eliminate the Igniter all together

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #496
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by roboticnissan View Post
I have another bogging down question. I changed my spark plugs to try to fix my bogg and now it only bogs once my motor warms up completley. Any help would be greatly appreciated oh and the spark plugs I'm using are ngk r bkr5e 11
Wrong Plugs that's why, they are too hot. get NGK BKR7EIX-11

if you can get a hold of some PFR6B-11B's that would be the best plug but are now discontinued.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #497
roboticnissan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (12)
roboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her selfroboticnissan is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
spark plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
Wrong Plugs that's why, they are too hot. get NGK BKR7EIX-11

if you can get a hold of some PFR6B-11B's that would be the best plug but are now discontinued.

The engine was running just fine when the swap was done with the heat range 5 plugs but I will try to get a hold of 7's.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #498
ETHANOLED SR
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (33)
ETHANOLED SR is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 33 reviews
I am going to move on from the SR to the RB setup and I was looking at the RB25DET NEO 6 motor for my S13. I've been through this whole thread and learned a lot about RB's that I didn't know before, but I couldn't find much info on the RB NEO 6. My main concern is, can I get aftermarket parts for this motor just like the RB25? Does it use the same standalone as the RB25DET would use? Greddy mani, injectors, and so on? BTW, my goal is the 500hp mark, mostly track driven only. Thanks in advance!
ETHANOLED SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #499
lonelydrifter
Zilvia Member

lonelydrifter is making a name for him/her selflonelydrifter is making a name for him/her self
dont waste your money on the NEO just get a regular old RB25 and use the extra money to make it roar.

Or go balls out for the RB26. I only say this because I have one in my R32 and love it!!!
lonelydrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #500
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

yeah you can get the same parts for the neo rb25 they will all work.

but i agree with lonleydrifter , if you want to build up a rb25 then just buy and older series 1 or 2 rb25. you'll save money by doing that and you can buy bigger and better stuff.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #501
ETHANOLED SR
Zilvia Addict

^^^So for an RB that's going to be modded, I shouldn't waste the money on the neo version?
Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #502
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETHANOLED SR View Post
^^^So for an RB that's going to be modded, I shouldn't waste the money on the neo version?

i wouldnt say a neo is a waste of money.
dont get me wrong it is the better motor since it is newer . but if you want to reach around 500 whp then you are going to have to tear it down and replace parts internally, like pistons , connecting rods , head work and all that.

so if you have to do that , might as well find a cheaper rb25

Old 01-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #503
eh?
Zilvia Member

eh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
yeah you can get the same parts for the neo rb25 they will all work.
That is not true, the neo has different ecu pin layout, pistons, cams, pull style clutch, etc that you can't use in the S1 or S2. If I had to do it over again I'd get the neo over the R33 because it already has solid lifters and much more beefy rods. Finding a moderately priced clutch is a problem though you can convert to push.
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #504
951's 330i
Zilvia Junkie

Update:
Thanks to bardabe, my car is running better then before, told me the crappy ass wiring that was done before. Thing runs sooo good now, no studder no nothing. Anyone need any help at all, hit this guy up. Hes the legit azz Faaaaaa lol Thanks again bro, and thanks to everyone that was trying to help me as well
Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 AM   #505
ETHANOLED SR
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh? View Post
That is not true, the neo has different ecu pin layout, pistons, cams, pull style clutch, etc that you can't use in the S1 or S2. If I had to do it over again I'd get the neo over the R33 because it already has solid lifters and much more beefy rods. Finding a moderately priced clutch is a problem though you can convert to push.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-26-2010, 02:48 AM   #506
eklips3
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Update:
Thanks to bardabe, my car is running better then before, told me the crappy ass wiring that was done before. Thing runs sooo good now, no studder no nothing. Anyone need any help at all, hit this guy up. Hes the legit azz Faaaaaa lol Thanks again bro, and thanks to everyone that was trying to help me as well

good to hear you're back on the road dude ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh? View Post
thanks for the correction, i never really knew it was that different.
i assume all the bolt on mods for early rb25 would still work for the Neo right ?

Old 01-26-2010, 05:50 AM   #507
eh?
Zilvia Member

eh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
good to hear you're back on the road dude ! !

thanks for the correction, i never really knew it was that different.
i assume all the bolt on mods for early rb25 would still work for the Neo right ?
Most will but things like the cas won't fit, ignitors are different, you can use the greddy im but you need the r33 iacv to retain idle control as the neo iacv won't bolt up. Exhaust manifolds will work.

It's really what the R33 RB25 should have been.
eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #508
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If anyone was wondering
I found the rubber grommets for the RB25 Valve cover

Turns out the 93 Infiniti J30's Intake valve cover uses the same setup as the RB
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #509
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
If anyone was wondering
I found the rubber grommets for the RB25 Valve cover

Turns out the 93 Infiniti J30's Intake valve cover uses the same setup as the RB
Nice, however I found that Ray @ West Co Nissan had them in stock, along with everything else I needed for my RB (gaskets, valve seals, N1 pumps, all of that).

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #510
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan View Post
Nice, however I found that Ray @ West Co Nissan had them in stock, along with everything else I needed for my RB (gaskets, valve seals, N1 pumps, all of that).
Yeah i know but they want 3.00 EA for them and when you need 20 of them that alot of money for some grommets

I found them on the web for 1.00 EA soo much cheaper
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote