Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-05-2013, 10:39 PM   #31
rwtf
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (3)
rwtf is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
i see that all the time even for STOCK beat up to shit cars, 2-3k I'm like WHAT THE FUCK.

and you see the problem is the people who say "oh, its drift tax" and "its supply and demand" and just accept that, are the problem. If they are paying it, people will sell it high, no body buys high then prices come down. simple.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:42 PM   #32
13esim
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
13esim is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yup its mostly the notorious drift tax, has any one else noticed S13's becoming more... ehm... mainstream? Like I've noticed, with some people I know personally, that there are just acquiring random interest in S13's. Like I know people who couldn't even speak a lick about cars, and all of the sudden are in love with 240sx's.
13esim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #33
Lunghz
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (13)
Lunghz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13esim View Post
Yup its mostly the notorious drift tax, has any one else noticed S13's becoming more... ehm... mainstream? Like I've noticed, with some people I know personally, that there are just acquiring random interest in S13's. Like I know people who couldn't even speak a lick about cars, and all of the sudden are in love with 240sx's.
+1

thats how it seems in my area alot of the dudes around here are just fan boys... they see a nice one, for example CleanAndLegits silvia and go ballistic! alot of (what is sad to say) my generation think mainly off trying to be like everyone else, and "fit in" or "be cool".
Old 05-05-2013, 11:36 PM   #34
jzs14

jzs14 is an unknown quantity at this point
never cease to amaze me
jzs14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #35
khon240sx
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
khon240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
KBB for a 240sx...LOL, good luck on that one. Atleast you're still in CA, you might still get lucky finding an old lady with one locked up in her garage and hasnt driven it in a decade.
hahaha...story of how i got my coupe

khon240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #36
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
DJ-of-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermymotor View Post
deciding if i should sell my 07 tsx to soup up a 240sx coupe 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmode1 View Post
If that's too high for you, you might wanna look into Miata's or Z31's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtf View Post
i see that all the time even for STOCK beat up to shit cars, 2-3k I'm like WHAT THE FUCK..
Man speaks the truth.

Besides, what is 'YOUR PURPOSE' of buying a 240sx? If you like and willing to spend a lot of money on this money pit, you wouldn't care how much it cost.

If cost of return, it's a money pit. If I was 25 years old and I want to be "because race car" with money from selling a 2007 TSX, I wouldn't even bother. Even if I did, in today's market, it definitely would not be a 240sx.

Let's say stock 2007 TSX sell for? 14k?

MUUUUCH BETTER options for 14k.
Honda 2000
Toyota MR2 Turbo (sadly, more cleans ones than 240sx)
Toyota MRS Spyder
Porsche Boxer
Nissan 350z
Mazda Miata

You're not getting much out of a stock 240sx. All of those has much better power-weight ratio. With CA smog, you think I'm going to waste my time every year or two dealing with smog police or STAR smog checks? I learn as I get older than time is precious and it is worth a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocn View Post
its not "DRIFT" tax its a "IDIOT" tax Period!

Last edited by DJ-of-E; 05-06-2013 at 02:29 AM..
DJ-of-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 AM   #37
brian310
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
brian310 will become famous soon enoughbrian310 will become famous soon enoughbrian310 will become famous soon enoughbrian310 will become famous soon enoughbrian310 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
because all the kids with hondas got 240s, as simple as that.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #38
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Quote:
i see that all the time even for STOCK beat up to shit cars, 2-3k I'm like WHAT THE FUCK.

and you see the problem is the people who say "oh, its drift tax" and "its supply and demand" and just accept that, are the problem. If they are paying it, people will sell it high, no body buys high then prices come down. simple.
Well if you're not willing to pay the seller's price, you don't have to buy it. Nobody's holding a gun against your head forcing you to pay those prices. Remember, for everybody's selling price, all it takes is 1 sucka who is willing to pay that to sell it.

Shit, its not unheard of people selling sub 100k 5 speed Kouki S14s for $10k. Would I pay that much for a stock S14? Fuck no!!! Tell me how much those goes for in KBB...

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #39
Rich260z
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Rich260z is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
This is just another rant thread. I paid $1900 for mine with 100k, blown shocks and only 1 brake caliper working. Drove that shit home and swapped out the shocks and brakes and it's good as new. a little dented near the driver fender, but mostly straight. Getting ready to do Z32 brakes and 5 lug on it.
Rich260z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #40
NinjaWithAGun
Leaky Injector

NinjaWithAGun is an unknown quantity at this point
Ha, kbb said my car was worth like $7200 when I went to buy it, and I only paid $5800 for a 97 in pretty damn good condition with <90k miles on it. Loan company was more than happy give the loan for less than what kbb said it was worth. Sometimes it can help!
NinjaWithAGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #41
FRpilot
Post Whore!

FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by powermymotor View Post
deciding if i should sell my 07 tsx to soup up a 240sx coupe 92
Did you just say that?

Anyways, KBB has as much relevance as the BBB. I would keep the 07 tsx. If you are crying over paying 2k over KBB price, you seem like you wouldn't be able to justifying spending good money on quality parts, which means your 240sx will be a pile and you would have been better off with the stock 07 tsx. You'll regret it, trust me (unless the 240sx is a toy car on the side and you are willing to spend unlimited amounts of money on it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
With CA smog, you think I'm going to waste my time every year or two dealing with smog police or STAR smog checks? I learn as I get older than time is precious and it is worth a lot of money.
I agree with that, unfortunately I still waste a lot of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfxi View Post
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:05 PM   #42
terrence
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
terrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymoreterrence is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've bought both of my s14's for less than 2k; who the hell is overpaying for a 18 year old japanese economy car?
terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:30 PM   #43
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence View Post
I've bought both of my s14's for less than 2k; who the hell is overpaying for a 18 year old japanese economy car?
If they're clean, you could sell them here in So. Cal. =P

Quote:
Old 05-06-2013, 04:53 PM   #44
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Most of you are fucking stupid. "Drift tax" has NOTHING to do with it. As stated previously, it's supply and demand. Go ahead and try to find a CLEAN 240 for ANY price. They're not out there anymore. They've all been modded and beat to shit. A clean stock 240 is WORTH as much as a modded POS with a half-assed SR swap. Why? Because you CAN'T FIND a clean stock 240. 240's are getting to be like 510's, they're all used up. If I had a clean stock 5-speed S13 to sell I would be taxing your asses $4000 for it. I wouldn't feel bad either because that's what they're worth. The value of clean versions these cars has skyrocketed because so many have been effectively destroyed by drift kids. You CAN still find good deals, BUT you have to be resourceful and patient. Most of you are neither of those things.

OP: Why in the fucking hell would you look to KBB for a price for ANY car??? Much less a popularly modified car that is hard to find clean. KBB is worthless. NO car is sold for the KBB price. Go ahead and look up anything you like. Then go look for the same car on craigslist. You'll see that the prices do not match.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #45
Hashiriya415
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (22)
Hashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enoughHashiriya415 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 22 reviews
Quote:
Are you this stupid, comparing a Q45 with a 240SX?
It's about 80% similar to S14 inside out. Except twice the power and many other better designed things.
You could nearly interchange almost every suspension part. Some interior.
Hashiriya415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #46
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashiriya415 View Post
It's about 80% similar to S14 inside out. Except twice the power and many other better designed things.
You could nearly interchange almost every suspension part. Some interior.
And it weighs twice as much and gets half the gas mileage.

Those cars are not comparable dude.

I'll now compare a 997 porsche GT3 with a prius. That's sensible right???
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #47
rwtf
Zilvia Addict

rwtf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by racepar1 View Post
Most of you are fucking stupid. "Drift tax" has NOTHING to do with it. As stated previously, it's supply and demand. Go ahead and try to find a CLEAN 240 for ANY price. They're not out there anymore. They've all been modded and beat to shit. A clean stock 240 is WORTH as much as a modded POS with a half-assed SR swap. Why? Because you CAN'T FIND a clean stock 240. 240's are getting to be like 510's, they're all used up. If I had a clean stock 5-speed S13 to sell I would be taxing your asses $4000 for it. I wouldn't feel bad either because that's what they're worth. The value of clean versions these cars has skyrocketed because so many have been effectively destroyed by drift kids. You CAN still find good deals, BUT you have to be resourceful and patient. Most of you are neither of those things.

OP: Why in the fucking hell would you look to KBB for a price for ANY car??? Much less a popularly modified car that is hard to find clean. KBB is worthless. NO car is sold for the KBB price. Go ahead and look up anything you like. Then go look for the same car on craigslist. You'll see that the prices do not match.

shit, go on CL and see how many 240s for sale have "racecar" "driftcar"
or anything to do with drifting. Its all over..OH and of course "perfect for a swap"
Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 PM   #48
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
shit, go on CL and see how many 240s for sale have "racecar" "driftcar"
or anything to do with drifting. Its all over..OH and of course "perfect for a swap"
I understand that. The point is that the "drift tax" is over at this point. The drift tax was when there were plenty of good cars available and they were priced high because of the JDM appeal. At this point there ARE NOT plenty of good cars available. The prices are justified at this point, where as they were artifically inflated 10 years ago or so. I do agree that people are trying to sell the shit cars for too much still. I have no interest in the shit though so I am not commenting on that.

I have no issue with 240 pricing. I am resourceful, patient, smart, and connected enough to not have to pay those prices. I LOVE it because when I find a deal I can make some good money. Everyone is not equal. Those who have the resources can thrive in this market. Those who do not are going to have to pay the price or buy a POS. I'm all for that.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:08 PM   #49
FRpilot
Post Whore!

FRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond reputeFRpilot has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Isn’t what you explained in essence “drift tax” ? I doubt the 240sx would be in such high demand if it wasn’t for the popularity of drifting.

Quote:
remember, people on this forum are STUPID. use your common sense.
FRpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #50
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRpilot View Post
Isn’t what you explained in essence “drift tax” ? I doubt the 240sx would be in such high demand if it wasn’t for the popularity of drifting.
vvv READ BELOW vvv

IMO "drift tax" ended once the good cars were used up...

Quote:
I understand that. The point is that the "drift tax" is over at this point. The drift tax was when there were plenty of good cars available and they were priced high because of the JDM appeal. At this point there ARE NOT plenty of good cars available. The prices are justified at this point, where as they were artifically inflated 10 years ago or so. I do agree that people are trying to sell the shit cars for too much still. I have no interest in the shit though so I am not commenting on that.

I have no issue with 240 pricing. I am resourceful, patient, smart, and connected enough to not have to pay those prices. I LOVE it because when I find a deal I can make some good money. Everyone is not equal. Those who have the resources can thrive in this market. Those who do not are going to have to pay the price or buy a POS. I'm all for that.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:04 PM   #51
DJ-of-E
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
IMO "drift tax" ended once the good cars were used up...
I beg to differ on definition of drift tax, but I definitely agree on this statement.

Quote:
I LOVE it because when I find a deal I can make some good money. Everyone is not equal. Those who have the resources can thrive in this market. Those who do not are going to have to pay the price or buy a POS. I'm all for that.
Made out like a madman with a '97 stock kouki. originally bought it in 2003 for $6400 as my daily, was offered $10000 2 years later because low mileage and no dings. Bought a 2000 Celica GT-S for $7000 for auto-x competition reasons =P

Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #52
s0fa king
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
s0fa king is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
drift tax will exist as long as kids wanna go drifting.
s0fa king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #53
racepar1
Post Whore!

It gets under my skin to hear the youngsters bitching about "drift tax" when the whole reason it exists is because they all want the cars. It's supply and demand. All these kids are demanding cars for cheap, but they never stop to think about the supply side. That is not only retarded, but also hypocritical. God forbid any of them get a fucking clue and learn how to find a deal for themselves. NOOOOOO, it's all gotta be handed to them on a silver platter.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #54
zerodameaon
Post Whore!

zerodameaon is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
It gets under my skin to hear the youngsters bitching about "drift tax" when the whole reason it exists is because they all want the cars. It's supply and demand. All these kids are demanding cars for cheap, but they never stop to think about the supply side. That is not only retarded, but also hypocritical. God forbid any of them get a fucking clue and learn how to find a deal for themselves. NOOOOOO, it's all gotta be handed to them on a silver platter.
That and when they crash this car being a moron one more car gets stricken from the supply chain, then they get another car and crash it again. This repeats itself until they somehow get a brain or get tired and move on to crashing newer cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKdaMoRoN View Post
Maybe you should petition the retards who are paying 5k for an S13.

Need to adjust your idle?
http://zilvia.net/f/s-chassis/395413...-pictures.html
zerodameaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #55
KiLLeR2001
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (46)
KiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud ofKiLLeR2001 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 46 reviews
Quote:
Or more like they heard from an OG 240sx owner that they got their mint conditioned s13 hatch w/ 50,000 miles back in 1999 for $1200 and then they expect the same deal.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #56
that_one_coupe
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (11)
that_one_coupe is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I just keep feeling better about my (mainly) clean sapphire blue s13 after reading all these comments. I didpay some tax but totally worth it.
that_one_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:45 AM   #57
95zenki man
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
95zenki man is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
And to think i only payed $2200 for my sil front 2 tone coupe....
95zenki man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #58
BlewByYou
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
BlewByYou is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Whats even more sad, You buy a s13 for 4K? insurance will only pay you $1400 hahahahahaaa... Nice investment ayy :P
BlewByYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM   #59
dluevanos01
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (23)
dluevanos01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:

I quoted you because I partially agree with you. Supply and demand has something to do with it. With a fixed or decreasing supply (since a lot are being crashed and Nissan is not producing anymore) and with increasing demand from whoever it be, cause a rise in prices.

It all has to do with whether supply creates demand, or if demand creates supply. I personally believe in the later one.So when a person wants something they look at the utility ( benefit) they will get from it. this will also justify your statement as to why a clean stock 240 is worth more than a half-ass SR swapped with "more" value parts in it.

A person when purchasing something must weight the marginal benefit and marginal cost. So if they decide to purchase a car THEY BELIEVE that the car outweights the cost. Thus their utility of the vehicle is greater than the cost, so they will buy it. The now lets examine some human behavior,. why do people buy Nike shoes opposed to a $10 generic brand? or why do people pay $15-20 for a shirt when pro club brand can be had for ~$4? or why don't people buy a SPL opposed to Godspeed? Because they are minimizing their risk. With a brand name, people, myself included, feel that they are minimizing their risk. Thus their willingness to pay for the object rises.

So when prices of clean 240s rise, other sellers of beat up cars feel that they can justify higher prices because they are asking close to what the clean one sells for and theirs has more "valuable parts".

I feel like you are the one who better describe the issue, and drift tax is just persons incentive to get a bigger return through moral hazard by making their bucket seemed and think it's valued at the same price as a clean car.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #60
powermymotor
Leaky Injector

powermymotor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-of-E View Post
With CA smog, you think I'm going to waste my time every year or two dealing with smog police or STAR smog checks? I learn as I get older than time is precious and it is worth a lot of money.
i would be keeping the car for a long time. wouldnt mind changing back to stock if it needs to. just gotta learn more about cars.
powermymotor is offline   Reply With Quote