Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 01-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #1
FcMURRRDA
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
FcMURRRDA is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s15 importing s15

So iv been doing some research and could only find info on how to ship a full car and register the car for street use in the states and no info on shipping a shell with no motor and trans and strictly using it for track use.

Now has anyone done this personally? I just wanna know the actual cost. My guess around 6k for a rolling chassis.

Remember I just want the rolling chassis and I'm not planning on driving it on the streets. Strictly track.

BTW only looking for a rough estimate for spec s models for cheap OR a rolling chassis with maybe just steeles on. no windows or interior would be a plus.

Last edited by FcMURRRDA; 01-04-2014 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: lack of info
FcMURRRDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
typhoonslippery
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (10)
typhoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enoughtyphoonslippery will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
S15s are hugely inflated for price in Japan .... GL on 6g for a Spec-R shell .... in Japan ready to ship much less landed in the US

Talk to Kunio from GTR-Garage ... he is a sponsor here
Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
We talking grey market importation or legal track only importation?

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
FcMURRRDA
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoonslippery View Post
S15s are hugely inflated for price in Japan .... GL on 6g for a Spec-R shell .... in Japan ready to ship much less landed in the US

Oops I forgot to mention what model my bad, no spec R for me, most likely spec S auto or lower then that if nissan made it. I don't care what it comes with either. If it's cheaper to bring a bare shell then I'll go that route... but thanks ill hit him up for the info.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
FcMURRRDA
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
I was thinking grey market importation. I think legal track importation takes I think a year to file through and only to be driven 2500 miles a year?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Eh?

Quote:
Track only I take it (from what he had mentioned).

And there's no way you can get a rolling Spec R chassis for $6K delivered from the land of the rising sun.

Oh and you might want to watch who you deal with while importing...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
^^^Yup, renting a container alone is between $4k-6k depending on the size. S15 Spec S are cheap now, you can get a running Spec S for $3K now.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
FcMURRRDA
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricky_ab View Post
Eh?

Track only I take it (from what he had mentioned).

And there's no way you can get a rolling Spec R chassis for $6K delivered from the land of the rising sun.

Oh and you might want to watch who you deal with while importing...
sry I forgot to monition im only looking for spec s chassis. that's where im getting 6k from. it was a wild price guess but looking for a spec r is pointless if im gonna gut it out for track use.

also, do documents really matter if its gonna be a trailer queen?

Quote:
^^^Yup, renting a container alone is between $4k-6k depending on the size. S15 Spec S are cheap now, you can get a running Spec S for $3K now.
holy fuck man.. lol 4-6k for a container??? I was thinking like 2-3k I was way off. yea I don't even care if its not running, or has a missing front end, windows, interior, it could be on balled steeles for all I care.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:12 AM   #9
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FcMURRRDA View Post
sry I forgot to monition im only looking for spec s chassis. that's where im getting 6k from. it was a wild price guess but looking for a spec r is pointless if im gonna gut it out for track use.

also, do documents really matter if its gonna be a trailer queen?

holy fuck man.. lol 4-6k for a container??? I was thinking like 2-3k I was way off. yea I don't even care if its not running, or has a missing front end, windows, interior, it could be on balled steeles for all I care.
Most folks I knew who brought a car back, stuffed the container with other parts to sell so they can recoup their shipping container cost. Buddy of mine ended up spending around $10k for the container and parts he shipped back. But ended up making close to $14k after selling it all and got his FD in the country.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 01-05-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
OBEE

Trader Rating: (0)
OBEE is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
google tradecarview and have a look there, you can find a cheap 15 for like 3k+, talk with the dealer and see if he is willing to ship to the states (not all do), for UK they don't use a container just load the car on the boat and that's it, the shipment is about 1200$. Don't know if they can do the same for the US.
OBEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #11
carbonfiberhoods.com

carbonfiberhoods.com is an unknown quantity at this point
If you ship that car to the US customs will seize it, destroy it and fine you. Unfortunately it's impossible to do it legally. There's grey market versions rolling around but it's not worth the risk. I wish it was possible.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #12
burgessn
Zilvia Member

burgessn is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^Wrong
Call the NHTSA they will give you all the information and paperwork you have to submit to them. you have to send in pictures of the vehical proving that it is not road legal and it going to be used stricktly for off-road purposes. If i remember correctly the lady told me two big ones was lexan windows and rollcages. get on the website or call them.
burgessn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:52 PM   #13
carbonfiberhoods.com

carbonfiberhoods.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the post was for "street legal"

Quote:
register the car for street use in the states
So under that requirement what I said was correct.

Also if you import the S15 in a container intact the feds can confiscate it.

For track / race use I'm sure you would need to forever designate that VIN etc as race only and never drive on the street.

I wish that was not the case because I love S15's. There is someone in Florida that I see who's selling RHD cars, I'm not sure how he does it or what loophole he uses or if it's grey market.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:33 AM   #14
pancakes562
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (20)
pancakes562 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Shipping alone is going to cost an arm and a leg. You gotta pay to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgessn View Post
^^^Wrong
Call the NHTSA they will give you all the information and paperwork you have to submit to them. you have to send in pictures of the vehical proving that it is not road legal and it going to be used stricktly for off-road purposes. If i remember correctly the lady told me two big ones was lexan windows and rollcages. get on the website or call them.
Kicker is that if, big IF, you get approved for off road/track/show importation of a vehicle, you are only allowed to have it in country for so long. You would have to send it back after. Then you still have to show proof of all the events that you are using the car for.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 AM   #16
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Quote:

Don't talk to me. If it's not an '89 I'm not shipping it.

With that being said:

$6,200

$5,700

$5,700

$5,500

$5,400

$1,300

All of those were Spec-R in decent condition save for the last one that was a Spec-S. They went through the auctions over the last couple of months.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #17
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEE View Post
google tradecarview and have a look there, you can find a cheap 15 for like 3k+, talk with the dealer and see if he is willing to ship to the states (not all do), for UK they don't use a container just load the car on the boat and that's it, the shipment is about 1200$. Don't know if they can do the same for the US.
He would have to have it shipped in inside a container. They wouldn't let it through declared as parts if it shipped via Ro/Ro. Plus for Ro/Ro it has to be a full, running vehicle, not a shell.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:20 AM   #18
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Most folks I knew who brought a car back, stuffed the container with other parts to sell so they can recoup their shipping container cost. Buddy of mine ended up spending around $10k for the container and parts he shipped back. But ended up making close to $14k after selling it all and got his FD in the country.
Was that the guy from Okinawa years back? Container rates have gotten much cheaper. The last quote I got from Evergreen was shocking.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:26 AM   #19
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FcMURRRDA View Post
Oops I forgot to mention what model my bad, no spec R for me, most likely spec S auto or lower then that if nissan made it. I don't care what it comes with either. If it's cheaper to bring a bare shell then I'll go that route... but thanks ill hit him up for the info.
It can be done for $6,000. The motor and transmission have to come out and cannot be shipped in the container with the car. Pull the fenders, pull the doors, pull the bumper, pull the hood. Check "parts" on Form HS-7 and cross your fingers. You didn't hear that from me and I don't want any part of it.

A better idea is to buy an '89 A31, C33, S13, S14 or R32 and have your self a Federally Legal import.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:51 AM   #20
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Garage View Post
Was that the guy from Okinawa years back? Container rates have gotten much cheaper. The last quote I got from Evergreen was shocking.
Yup, this was when the yen rate was sucking pretty badly. Nice to see that its above 100y again. Plus it came from Oki, I imagine it had to go to mainland first before it got shipped out to LA.

CLICK HERE!!!
Old 01-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #21
FcMURRRDA
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Garage View Post
It can be done for $6,000. The motor and transmission have to come out and cannot be shipped in the container with the car. Pull the fenders, pull the doors, pull the bumper, pull the hood. Check "parts" on Form HS-7 and cross your fingers. You didn't hear that from me and I don't want any part of it.

A better idea is to buy an '89 A31, C33, S13, S14 or R32 and have your self a Federally Legal import.
yea price doesn't bug me at all, what bugs me is the paper work I have to go through just to get it on the track. I knew making it street legal is a pain but after reading that you get a permit of 3 years or less plus you have to show them all the events you plan on going too, then if I don't want the car anymore I have to destroy it or send it back. I thought it would be a one time deal. the only way I guess is report it stolen and replace all the vin#.. but im not a criminal and or wouldnt I even last a week in prison, in other words hell no I aint doing that.

I think youre right, a 89 a31 or a r32 4 door would be a better idea but i already have all these sr parts to use..