Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-06-2011, 05:55 PM   #1
s73

Trader Rating: (0)
s73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
just purchased a used KA Trans....Questions

Just purchased a used KA trans as a back up of my current one...my current one dont want to go into 1st at times and grinds 2nd...

Ok here are the questions....i am pretty new to the 240 world, so please bear with me....

when i purchase the used ka trans it was sitting vertical, with the bellhousing towards the concrete. I didnt think too much of it and lifted in my truck and took it home.

After i got home i realized something, the KA input shaft stick pass the bell housing!!! So.....if the original owner had it sitting up right....its bascially resting on the input shaft!!!! And God knows how long its been sitting like that! I realized that it cant be good, most people uses 2x4's or something to keep the weight of the trans off the input shaft when having the trans up-right like that, the original owner didnt do anything like that.....

Just wondering if that does any damage to the input shaft / trans? Is this something i should be worried about?

I would hate to take off my old trans/flywheel/clutch and install the new one to realize that i just wasted all that time installing a bad tranny!

any info would be great....thanks for reading the long post.

thanks in advance.
s73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
s13 @ fullboost
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
s13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfections13 @ fullboost is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Send a message via AIM to s13 @ fullboost
its prob not the smartest thing to do but I would guess its usable just make sure it dosent feel loose or pushed in
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM   #3
sodelS14.5

sodelS14.5 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think a new tob would be cheaper for your current trans...probably what it would be...just saying
sodelS14.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
wouldnt worry about it, as long as he didnt drop it on the shaft alot should be fine
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
s73

s73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the replies guys...

How do i know if its "loose or Pushed in"?????

I did spin the shaft....spins fine.....i tried to hold on to the shaft and tried to push it in and out....there is free play....but very little free play......

Its just one of those things when you buy used parts....

So let say i did install the trans....whats the worst that can happen? I dont mind the extra work.....but just dont want it to mess up my new clutch/flywheel/bearings....etc

What you guys think?
s73 is offline   Reply With Quote