Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 11-07-2011, 06:11 PM   #1
spray2020
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
spray2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
S13 Silvia Nissan Optional Lip: What kind of Plastic is it made of?

As the topic says, I just purchased a oem nissan optional lip for the s13 Silvia.

It has a couple small broken tab areas that I would like to get plastic welded- but I am unsure of the type of plastic that the lip is made from?

It is black in color, but it could be anything from ABS, PP etc.

Anyone have an idea?

For reference, this lip, not a pignose: (sorry for using this photo if this is your car)

only a couple areas where the metal tabs (which are riveted on) attach to the lip. Small 5cm x 10cm areas.

I repaired a couple cracked areas using jb weld- sanding the areas with rough 80 grit and scoring the crap out of the surfaces with a box cutter for a good grab. That works well.

But for the structural areas I really want to get them plastic welded- if possible. Or try it myself. I build fiberglass tooling molds as a hobby- I doubt plastic welding could be a harder task haha
spray2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
Nothing compares to this stuff... I use it all of the time to permanently bond plastics. It takes a specific applicator gun, but it's worth it if you are ever going to use the stuff in the future for other projects. Norton also makes the same stuff which is called Speed Grip. You can get these in varying set times... 1 minute, 5 minutes etc.

3M Semi-Rigid Plastic Repair 50 mL 34240

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
spray2020
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
spray2020 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
hey thanks!

I hope I can easily find that stuff over here in Sydney- (i'm from the states)

So what do you do to prep a crack or whatever two surfaces you are going to bond? Scuff and score both surfaces before using this stuff?

How does it compare to jb weld, which is epoxy based?

I find that if the surfaces are prepped well, the jb weld gives a strong bond- however I have never plastic welded anything before- I wonder how all three methods compare.
spray2020 is offline   Reply With Quote