Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
handinpants
FreshColdBeer.com

Trader Rating: (48)
handinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud ofhandinpants has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 48 reviews
Send a message via AIM to handinpants
SR recirculating BOV

I am still running my stock Bov even though everything else has been upgraded. I have begun to think that I hear the compressor surge sound when I boost high, so...

What is a good recirculating bov for the S13 Sr20det, I care more about throttle response than, and want something that is reliable. I will be boosting no more than 25 psi,

handinpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 PM   #2
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I like the old school HKS race ones that were recently discontinued.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
Mister.E
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
Mister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond reputeMister.E has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
a greddy RS with a recirculation fitting should be fine
Mister.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:04 AM   #4
Munki
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Munki is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have the HKS right now and it works perfect. I also use to have the Greddy type RS and it leaked really bad, it would always drop a few PSI... idk, maybe I just had a bad bov..
Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Sleepy240
Zilvia Addict

Sleepy240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by handinpants View Post
I am still running my stock Bov even though everything else has been upgraded. I have begun to think that I hear the compressor surge sound when I boost high, so...

What is a good recirculating bov for the S13 Sr20det, I care more about throttle response than, and want something that is reliable. I will be boosting no more than 25 psi,
If you want reliability and throttle response don't run a BOV... but to answer you question just about all BOV's are quality as long as its not some ebay brand most people pick a BOV based on the super awesome sound it makes
Sleepy240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM   #6
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I have a blitz blow off valve taking up space on my intake pipe but I seriously think it doesn't even work because I never hear it discharge, I just hear my turbo cutting up air (surge) lol.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #7
Monooxide
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
Monooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to beholdMonooxide is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy240 View Post
If you want reliability and throttle response don't run a BOV... but to answer you question just about all BOV's are quality as long as its not some ebay brand most people pick a BOV based on the super awesome sound it makes
I would think that the surge would cause the compressor wheel to slow down and a recirc'd blow off valve would allow it to maintain it's RPM.

The backpressure that causes the surging may be negligible but I would imagine it slows it down. If you're running a bigger turbo and you're looking for a little more response back after a shift then I would say recirc'd would have to be a plus.
Monooxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:14 AM   #8
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
bejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
oh god, not another surge turbo spinning backwards thread...

look to the OP most bov have a RECIRC fitting... HKS SSQV sells a fitting to recirculate it, if im not mistaken blitz and greddy(i think) also have one of those fitting they don't cost more than $20. synapse has a recirc fitting (or it come with it, im not sure) and most other commonly used BOV have that sort of thing... and any of those will most likely handle that kind of boost... if not go tial or some hks bov that can handle a lot of boost and also be recirculated...

if your running more boost and stuff like that upgrading the stock "bov" is something you should do, cause i know that the stock bov gets maxed out of what it can do at some amounts of boost...
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
...this is zilvia; prepare to get your feelings hurt.
bejota180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Compressor surge is the jam.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
Sleepy240
Zilvia Addict

My intention was not to turn this into a surge thread or the like, to the best of my knowledge not running a BOV is the way to maximize throttle response.

But as others have said like 90% of BOV's offer Re-circ'ing and if thats the route you wanna go pick your BOV based off the awesome noise it makes cause the quality between them is all very similar.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #11
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Pretty sure stock RECIRCULATION VALVE isn't shut during idle, as it's slightly open to help with idling and during light throttle cruising, it stays open to help with drivability. Look up the recirc' valves on the Z32s, pretty sure it's the same thing on the SR.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
bejota180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

bejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura aboutbejota180sx has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy240 View Post
My intention was not to turn this into a surge thread or the like, to the best of my knowledge not running a BOV is the way to maximize throttle response.

But as others have said like 90% of BOV's offer Re-circ'ing and if thats the route you wanna go pick your BOV based off the awesome noise it makes cause the quality between them is all very similar.
well if you recirc it correctly you do get response... like not recirc at the intake pipe and recirc at the cold pipe would be the same as running no BOV but without the surge since your taking it back to the cold side and not letting it reach the turbo...

but yeah if you don't really want to spend on a bov go no BOV cause i run atmosphere hks ssqv and i just take of the vacuum line and block it... it feels better... im gonna recirc my BOV soon, to the intake pipe...
Originally Posted by Taniguchi_Is_#1 View Post
...this is zilvia; prepare to get your feelings hurt.
bejota180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #13
SoSideways
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
SoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfectionSoSideways is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejota180sx View Post
well if you recirc it correctly you do get response... like not recirc at the intake pipe and recirc at the cold pipe would be the same as running no BOV but without the surge since your taking it back to the cold side and not letting it reach the turbo...
How the hell do you recirc on the cold pipe?

That's basically having no blow off valve.
SoSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #14
Sleepy240
Zilvia Addict

looks like the perfect time for.......

Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 PM   #15
lost240soul
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
lost240soul is on the path to ruinlost240soul is on the path to ruinlost240soul is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
^^^ hahaha by far the best drawing ive seen... lol gary looks like he is drift ready..lol hahahah
lost240soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
s142jzkillav10
Zilvia Junkie

s142jzkillav10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to s142jzkillav10
hks is a good one
s142jzkillav10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
hOngsterr
Bandwagon.

Trader Rating: (73)
hOngsterr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 73 reviews
Send a message via AIM to hOngsterr
Blitz dd bov!
OCD isn't so bad just means you'll spend more money then most people, but you'll have a quality car not a POS put together with POS parts.
hOngsterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM   #18
240bch
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (3)
240bch is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to 240bch
Blitz dd bov! FTW!!
Old 09-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #19
overdueBlaSiaN

overdueBlaSiaN is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry to bring back this old thread

I can't seem to find any info on the turbosmart dual port bov... Does it work for the sr20det red top? I have it in a 93 coupe
overdueBlaSiaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:44 PM   #20
blkvrtswp
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
blkvrtswp is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
I have that TurboSmart recirc BOV on my SR20DET - it rocks. Best valve I have ever installed out of HKS, Greddy, Blitz - hands down. Running it for 4 years now no issues. Highly recommended.
blkvrtswp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #21
redline racer510
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
redline racer510 is on the path to ruinredline racer510 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
034 motor sport makes a bosch diverted valve but out of billet aluminum and that's what I use re circled and it is be far the best dv/bov option.