Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 09-21-2007, 02:39 PM   #31
xplicit240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
xplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nicexplicit240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to xplicit240
well i have the greddy type s coil overs. i daily my car. perfect for me. it can ride soft and you can track it. one of my other friends uses it on his s13 also.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:15 PM   #32
DP_Michelle G
Zilvia Addict

DP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really niceDP_Michelle G is just really nice
^^There the same as the megans made in the same factory in china just like the apexi coils.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:21 PM   #33
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceInHole View Post
Unless that name is from Japan.... I still haven't seen a JDM performance damper I'd upgrade to.

As for comfort, I'm pretty happy with my mild 11kg springs on Konis. It still pales in comparison to heavier sprung Ohlins.
most of the super suspension system origins lie in german engineering.... can't touch em in america and neither can the japanese. I'd love to have my suspension changed out.

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM   #34
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Just weld the shock. Your car will be stuff and you'll be the coolest kid on the block.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:18 PM   #35
93SECoupe

93SECoupe is making a name for him/her self93SECoupe is making a name for him/her self
I suggest you get KW Variant 3 coilovers if you have the budget and you want quality German engineering. They come with progressive springs which are 6k/4k. I have them on my car and the ride is better than stock.
93SECoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #36
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AceInHole View Post
Unless that name is from Japan.... I still haven't seen a JDM performance damper I'd upgrade to.

As for comfort, I'm pretty happy with my mild 11kg springs on Konis. It still pales in comparison to heavier sprung Ohlins.
Now I get to try out the Ohlins for S13 that I picked up. The fronts are sick 52mm inverted adjustable monotube. These actually have spring perches with Apex springs on them but I am thinking about collaring them and making them height adjustable.

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #37
DOOK
Post Whore!

DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by drift freaq View Post
Now I get to try out the Ohlins for S13 that I picked up. The fronts are sick 52mm inverted adjustable monotube. These actually have spring perches with Apex springs on them but I am thinking about collaring them and making them height adjustable.
I envy you

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 PM   #38
!Zar!
Post Whore!

!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
I'm getting ready to get a set of Ohlins for my suby.

Another coilover that feels good once setup properly is Tein Super Drifts.
Old 09-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #39
240sxdreaming

240sxdreaming is an unknown quantity at this point
shit, thats a funny one. comferatable and COILOVERS in the same sentence. hahah. but i guess you can have both if you want. i like them supper stiff so the girls TITIES bounce when shes in your ride. GET SOME STIFF ONES YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
240sxdreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 04:39 PM   #40
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Quote:
Originally Posted by 240sxdreaming View Post
shit, thats a funny one. comferatable and COILOVERS in the same sentence. hahah. but i guess you can have both if you want. i like them supper stiff so the girls TITIES bounce when shes in your ride. GET SOME STIFF ONES YO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's possible. Like I said, Tein Flexes.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #41
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Like I said, coilovers set to full stiff are about as helpful as a welded stock shock.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:06 PM   #42
az_240
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (41)
az_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really niceaz_240 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
Send a message via AIM to az_240
tein flexes are the way to go if you want a comfortable coilover.

thats all anyone needs to know.
az_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:18 PM   #43
r6_240sx
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
r6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfectionr6_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Want comfort? Easy... Tein Flexes. 6/4 rates and the valving is spot on for those rates. Very very smooth ride. I had them on my S13 and had people fall asleep in my car. The way they ride is very different from other more aggressive coilovers, and it's very apparent when seen from outside.
True story, I've fallen asleep in car riding on Tein Flexes. Not Edgar's tho.
r6_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #44
hung12848

hung12848 is an unknown quantity at this point
Friend of mine had about 10 240sx's in his warehouse and the one i had ride on for the best comfort are the TEIN FLEX doesnt really feel like riding on the Coilover!!! also HKS hyper 2 are pretty good as well will cost alot but TOP brand doesnt make difference. if your budget are over 1500 then HKS, any below i will pick Stance gs pro+ will im using Stance rite now little bit stiff but better performace than Tein in Touge, DD, and Drift
hung12848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:18 PM   #45
usdm180sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
usdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfectionusdm180sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to usdm180sx Send a message via Yahoo to usdm180sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by articdragon192 View Post
Want comfort? Easy... Tein Flexes. 6/4 rates and the valving is spot on for those rates. Very very smooth ride. I had them on my S13 and had people fall asleep in my car. The way they ride is very different from other more aggressive coilovers, and it's very apparent when seen from outside.
+1. I NEVER considered buying TEIN coilovers but I got Flexes for my s13 because I got them for cheap and I daily drive my car. They are very comfortable, fully adjustabe and TEIN USA is local if you are in So Cal.

usdm180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 AM   #46
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Coilovers were not designed to make for a stiff ride, nor were they designed to be able to slam the car as low as possible so you look baller. They were designed to allow adjustable ride height for different tracks and to allow cornerweighting for optimal balance.

As for grip guys wanting soft springs, exactly the opposite is true. We need stiff springs to keep us off our tires. What we want, though, has already been said and that is a proper damper with correct valving. A good damper will make an 11kg spring rate feel heavenly with no harshness.

My BMW is running on H&R Race springs and nearly blown Bilstein Sports and the ride quality is worse than my S13 with KTS coilovers and spherical bearings everywhere.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 10:47 PM   #47
articdragon192
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
articdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfectionarticdragon192 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to articdragon192
Quote:
Originally Posted by az_240 View Post
tein flexes are the way to go if you want a comfortable coilover.

thats all anyone needs to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r6_240sx View Post
True story, I've fallen asleep in car riding on Tein Flexes. Not Edgar's tho.
You can sleep in my Z if you want... anytime, lol. It's almost as comfy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usdmsilvia View Post
+1. I NEVER considered buying TEIN coilovers but I got Flexes for my s13 because I got them for cheap and I daily drive my car. They are very comfortable, fully adjustabe and TEIN USA is local if you are in So Cal.
How many more vouches do you need? Pricey but you pay for what you get. Trust me and Norm. We both have/had these coils.

Need help?
Click here
Still stumped?
Try this
Can't find what you're looking for?
Here you go.
articdragon192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:55 AM   #48
m91silvia
Leaky Injector

m91silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
I have PBM.. i can tell you not to get those if you want a 'comfortable' coilover.

I personally thought megans were pretty decently comfortable on the softest setting. haven't driven/rode on any more expensive coils yet.
m91silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM   #49
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
I wonder where one could buy ohlins... and has anyone had a setup like that done for an S13?...

I am storing my car for the winter.. but next spring/summer i will have to get some... my current crap damper setup is garbage...

I am sort of aware of what koni offers... i was told bilstein is even a better bet (bilstein hd vs koni 8611 ? thoughts? not sure what else they have) but the all out would be ohlins?

Thoughts? Aceinhole what is your friend running? I am thinking 8611... still... but whats out there thats even better
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #50
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ahmed View Post
I wonder where one could buy ohlins... and has anyone had a setup like that done for an S13?...

I am storing my car for the winter.. but next spring/summer i will have to get some... my current crap damper setup is garbage...

I am sort of aware of what koni offers... i was told bilstein is even a better bet (bilstein hd vs koni 8611 ? thoughts? not sure what else they have) but the all out would be ohlins?

Thoughts? Aceinhole what is your friend running? I am thinking 8611... still... but whats out there thats even better
I got my Ohlins from a engine importer, of course they were used. Basically I can tell you a lot of people passed them up, because they had no idea what they were. Also because they were not collared already people probably passed them up in favor of adjustable height setups. Works for me hehehehe

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:21 AM   #51
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
Quote:

look oh ohlin's website. they have a distributor listed for canada in ontario iirc.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #52
DJ_Sunrise
Zilvia FREAK!

DJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to allDJ_Sunrise is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to DJ_Sunrise
stay away from tein he's.
DJ_Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #53
Dunkee
Zilvia Addict

Dunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of light
Zeals are the most comfy I've been in..
Old 09-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #54
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
Quote:

pm ghazi on 613driftwerks.com as he purchased his set of ohlins brand new last winter and hes from kanata
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:54 PM   #55
AceInHole
Autox Technician

AceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfectionAceInHole is close to perfection
For Ohlins, there's no modern app available for the S-chassis. The closest thing seems to be the STi/ Evo setups, but I haven't had a chance to measure the lengths and such to compare. Their older stuff can be found used on occasion, but it seems it's mostly non-adjustable stuff and you can't be 100% sure what they're valved for.

The hot stuff would be Ohlins TTX:
Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM   #56
m91silvia
Leaky Injector

m91silvia is an unknown quantity at this point
Ohlins, you'd need to either get those GC or just run springs, right?
m91silvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 03:20 PM   #57
Koopa Troopa
Post Whore!

Koopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfectionKoopa Troopa is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Koopa Troopa
The Cusco Zero2's on my 180 were really nice, the Cusco Zero 1's on my friend's EG6 are even better and I love everything Gab has put out.

Buy my Stillway shifter!

Koopa Troopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #58
Wiisass
Zilvia Junkie

Wiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond reputeWiisass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wiisass
PJ, the ohlins japan website says something about an S-chassis application. But there isn't much info and the heading for the section is a picture so it won't translate the words on it. So it seems something is available, but who knows on the adjustability and valving. But that's all I know on it.

But whoever said 52mm piston, I find that a little hard to believe. What part of the damper are they measuring to get 52mm? I doubt it's the piston itself? If it is, then that thing is going to be huge. With a 52mm piston and at minimum 3mm walls on the shock body, sleeve bearings and strut housing, you're looking at a diameter of at least 70mm overall, so when you throw in spring seat design and all the threads and all that needs to be done, you're running at least 3" ID springs on there, which would call for some big springs and that would cut down a lot on wheel clearance.

The comfort thing still comes down to the valving. You look at AceinHole's car with 11kg/mm springs on it and it's not harsh. And so far the only japanese offering that can come close is the Flex's with much softer springs. It just shows that it's not the spring rate that will contribute to the harshness, it's the valving. And proper valving will also get rid of a lot of the harshness because it's bad for grip.

But I wonder how far the Evo/sti stuff is. Because they have some cool offerings out there for them. But that would be for another thread.

Who said flex's were dyno proven? Where is this dyno plot?

As far as the original poster, I'd bet that all the options he listed were made in the same place with roughly the same valving. So pick the cheapest. But you're probably better off with good shocks and springs, but we all know that's not going to happen.

And whoever brought up Bilstein versus Koni, hopefully we'll be finding out soon enough. Once I get the Bilstein setup valved properly, Aceinhole and I are talking about having a little shootout to see how they compare. Maybe through in some of the hyped JDM crap as well and see what happens.
DriftAssNation
Wiisass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #59
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
man keep me up to date.

Oh and i emailed ohlin just fyi, lets see if they respond and with what...

I want to copy aceinhole's setup except for an s13 lol... otherwise if better, a bilstein setup and well if something even better than ohlins :P hehe, but i am sold on aceinhole's setup its bloody marvelous... insanely awesome car

I don't want to be lazy and get stance gr+pro... I rather spend some more and have something prime

Sniff sniff :'( car goes in garage officially this/next week
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 PM   #60
atom
Zilvia FREAK!

atom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to allatom is a name known to all
I was SOOOO close to getting a set used off yahoo jp last year. If you get the shocks fron Ohlins Japan, Ohlins USA can probably rebuild them from what they told me. They won't do anything about trying to get you a set though. I don't know too much about the JDM Ohlins except that they are 46mm piston and they recommend 8k/6k for the springs.
atom is offline   Reply With Quote