Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Samson

Trader Rating: (1)
Samson is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s13 Dragging/clunking noise in rear

So when the car is off and i roll it back it makes a grinding noise like its dragging on something and clunks pretty often. could it be an cv axle? or a wheel bearing?
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Could be many things, could be the diff clunking, could be mechanical. Do some troubleshooting and go from there.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
S-Nation S13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (92)
S-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownS-Nation S13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Feedback Score: 92 reviews
rear clunk .. subframe bushing going out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
S-Nation S13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 PM   #4
mechanicalmoron
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
mechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nicemechanicalmoron is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If it's a dragging sound when backing, and a clunking sound while backing and sometimes forward (and maybe a rattling sound) it's probably a brake caliper.

It CAN happen when you're going forward (probably having to do with the uneven wear that I observed in the pads as a result of this problem), once I pulled out of a stop and had a HORRIBLE dragging noise, I thought my diff had to have a broken gear or something, stopped and looked (and in doing so, as I didn't realize it was a brake problem, set the parking brake, thus straitening that caliper) and drove off, never to hear that again.

There may be a rattling part I have not found because something from my problem wheel still rattles a bit, but I used to have that. You need to pack grease in the pin (the pins that hold the caliper together, that the halves slide on) boots, it's what damps caliper movement when there's no braking pressure being applied.

Chances are the pads on that caliper are also worn funny.

When you're messing with your brakes also look for leaks (or peeled paint from brake fluid). My bad caliper had(has) a leak, which is probably what washed out the grease in the first place.
mechanicalmoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #5
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmoron View Post
If it's a dragging sound when backing, and a clunking sound while backing and sometimes forward (and maybe a rattling sound) it's probably a brake caliper.

It CAN happen when you're going forward (probably having to do with the uneven wear that I observed in the pads as a result of this problem), once I pulled out of a stop and had a HORRIBLE dragging noise, I thought my diff had to have a broken gear or something, stopped and looked (and in doing so, as I didn't realize it was a brake problem, set the parking brake, thus straitening that caliper) and drove off, never to hear that again.

There may be a rattling part I have not found because something from my problem wheel still rattles a bit, but I used to have that. You need to pack grease in the pin (the pins that hold the caliper together, that the halves slide on) boots, it's what damps caliper movement when there's no braking pressure being applied.

Chances are the pads on that caliper are also worn funny.

When you're messing with your brakes also look for leaks (or peeled paint from brake fluid). My bad caliper had(has) a leak, which is probably what washed out the grease in the first place.
All good points

The OE calipers suck no matter which way you sort them as they are always 'pulled' at the angle. I've often though about modding them in a way to have a second brace like some Fords do, as that seems to help them from getting the tapered wear as well.

The other alternative is to obviously go with a Z rear brake.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
Itzgunzduh

Trader Rating: (0)
Itzgunzduh is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Make sure yur lugs r tight on ur rims .. I had the same problem than i checked my lugs n i was able to hand tighten them ��
Itzgunzduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:32 AM   #7
yodc
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (23)
yodc is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

The other alternative is to obviously go with a Z rear brake.

I had the dragging roll back the OP described, it disappeared when Z rear brakes were fitted....
yodc is offline   Reply With Quote