Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #31
matts13vert
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (31)
matts13vert is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsChassisLove View Post
Congrats you get 24mpg.
Thats pretty good as i get 17-18mpg currently. I wish i could get 24mpg.
matts13vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2011, 10:36 PM   #32
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (44)
GroundPerformance is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Always used silicone hoses on mine.

With AC

NO AC..
GroundPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #33
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts13vert View Post
A slightly bigger turbo may help.. T25 spools almost instantly on KA24.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #34
EsChassisLove
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
EsChassisLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts13vert View Post
KA?

My SR is technically a SR22 but I still get 30mpg lol.

PS-Forged internals really really really kill gas mileage. In the mornings when I warm up I'll probably get 24mpg cuz of the warmup.

I have to admit these are some clean KA-T setups. I usually see them done shitty, quick and half assed
Old 04-30-2011, 10:43 PM   #35
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (40)
UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 40 reviews
Send a message via AIM to UNISA JECS
Quote:
Congrats you get 24mpg.
The tank is ~15 gallons but not quite 16 gallons so thats between 26-27mpg.

But my calulations of 420 miles per tank full are based on using 14.5 - 14.9 gallons of gas because I didn't want to run out of gas obviously so based on that almost 29mpg's so its not to bad bad.

My bone stock S13 KA24DE sucked in the MPG department but that was mostly do to the knock sensor shielded singal wire which very commonly fails on teh S13's and shorst to ground via the shielded cable making contact with the singal line inside this multilayer wire, but thats a whole other story.

I guarntee you hardly anyother KA24DE-T will even come close to my milage and I bet they will agree.
UNISA JECS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #36
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

UNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond reputeUNISA JECS has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundPerformance View Post

With AC

NO AC..
Thats a major fail oil return setup (for no AC), the oil return is gravity drained, you taped into the easy way which is the wrong way. Oil can back up in your return line and overfill in the CHRA and raise to the level of the oil control ring and start leaking fuel into the turbine side of teh housing which will start cokeing up and turn into hard carbon deposits and wear yoru turbo out prematurely.

Mines work for both AC and no AC because I thought it threw and yes my KA-T had full AC.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:06 PM   #37
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

Could be.. But haven't had any issues like that on any of the KA-T I've done and helped. General rule for oil return is to keep free flowing and as high in the pan you can place it.

BTW that Modded PAN came from a Formula drift car. Dont think he had that issues.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 PM   #38
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Well I know that 4 full quarts of oil will fill up to the almost very top of the pan where it meets the block, granted there is never gonna be a full 4 quarts setting in the pan while driving but its still better to be safe than sorry, I know this because again I filled up the oil pan with 4 quarts of water when the pan was off to see where the maxima height of oil would reach and this is how I came up with my oil return location.

Beyound all that, if that doesnt even become a problem its still not a good location to tap for the return as the oil exiting the CHRA is frothy and air being sucked up by the oil pick up is not a good thing. This is also why turbo oil drain lines are large.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #39
GroundPerformance
Zilvia FREAK!

While I do believe that issue on placement is minimal if any. You do bring up a good point. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #40
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:

With AC

NO AC..
Quote:
While I do believe that issue if any is minimal. You do bring up a good point. Thanks!
These aren't things your not gonna see be an issue right away, again im about reliability and the long haul im not satified with 2 or 3 years usage before im replacing the turbo or an engine. Just here on zilvia alone you'll read more threads mentioning a T25 failed in one week, like if its widely accepted that its cool if you get a year or two out of them lol....but thats also due to running improperly adjusted BOV also (compressor surge).
Old 05-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #41
towlie
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (11)
towlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nicetowlie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
What turbo manifold(s) are you guys using?

I love how stock these look
towlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #42
illvialuver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
illvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfectionillvialuver is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
looking good, wold like more stats on your set up unisa jecs.
illvialuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #43
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illvialuver View Post
looking good, wold like more stats on your set up unisa jecs.

Stock Internal KA24DE
SSAC BMM
370cc
stock FPR (no need for an adjustable one just yet)
stock S13 SMIC w/all piping
stock KA24DE ECU with Nistune Type 3 Board
Z32 TT fuel pump with re-wired relay for 14v all teh fuel pump
GM 3 bar MAP sensor for logging boost/vacuum
Apexi AVCR
Apexi Turbo Timer
Apexi GT Spec Exhaust
Innovate LM-2 wideband
Defi Link meter sytem with fuel and boost gauge's
CUSCO Subframe bushings
CUSCO Engine mounts
CUSCO F/R Strut tower braces
Kei Office coilovers
Full ES suspension bushings
SPL RUCA's
SPL Adapter brakcets for 12.76" 350z brembo pkg rotors with Z32 30mm calipers
Full working S13 digital climate control
S14 98 model year seats
G35c 18x8 +30 wheels
Electric fan conversion
5 lug conversion rear hubs from Z32
5 lug conversion front with J30 hubs and S13 spindles with custom sleeves and spacers I made for it

probably left some stuff out
Old 05-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #44
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
The tank is ~15 gallons but not quite 16 gallons so thats between 26-27mpg.

But my calulations of 420 miles per tank full are based on using 14.5 - 14.9 gallons of gas because I didn't want to run out of gas obviously so based on that almost 29mpg's so its not to bad bad.

My bone stock S13 KA24DE sucked in the MPG department but that was mostly do to the knock sensor shielded singal wire which very commonly fails on teh S13's and shorst to ground via the shielded cable making contact with the singal line inside this multilayer wire, but thats a whole other story.

I guarntee you hardly anyother KA24DE-T will even come close to my milage and I bet they will agree.
i get 29mpg on a top mount forged setup with big injectors making 400whp

its not hard to get good mileage with a good tune and proper driving
s14fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #45
jdmspooge
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
jdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
So, has anyone been pulled over and the cop didn't find that your KA's were turboed? Curious...
jdmspooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:07 PM   #46
s14fbs
Zilvia FREAK!

s14fbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to s14fbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmspooge View Post
So, has anyone been pulled over and the cop didn't find that your KA's were turboed? Curious...
i have a crazy built top mount setup nothing hidden and i have never been asked to even pop my hood lol
s14fbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #47
jdmspooge
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
jdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura aboutjdmspooge has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14fbs View Post
i have a crazy built top mount setup nothing hidden and i have never been asked to even pop my hood lol
I guess it depends where you live. CA is stupid crazy. Even moms little honda gets rolled haha!
jdmspooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #48
UNISA JECS
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmspooge View Post
I have once but cop didn't say anything other than clean engine and nice car.

This is before the front was painted and bigger brakes put on and the car being droped a little more, my car looks like a stock car probably why I never got harassed even though I had a huge ass Apexi GT Spec exhaust which is very quiet by the way. The hood is also carbon fiber.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
newslidz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
newslidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to newslidz
my sleeper status

LOL jk... But seeing these really makes me want to build another for daily with this sleeper status that way i can love my 40s and never loose boost

JUST A RED TOP SR
newslidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #50
DinoMan
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
DinoMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^^^ I only read the top part of that post and i was pretty confused at first ill admit.
DinoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #51
HPKMotorsports3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
HPKMotorsports3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
damn i want a ka... but my lambo came with a sr so its staying cause im lazy lol... new lids i like that turbo
HPKMotorsports3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #52
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
Quote:
PS-Forged internals really really really kill gas mileage. In the mornings when I warm up I'll probably get 24mpg cuz of the warmup.
I've never EVER seen a MPG difference of any of the cars I've built on similar tunes stock vs forged. In fact I've gotten better fuel mileage on most setups with going to a forged piston simply due to the fact of better ring seal. Curious as to why you see such a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNISA JECS View Post
My Altima got 29/30 highway

Either way nice setup. Nice and clean, just like my car

Quote:
While I do believe that issue on placement is minimal if any. You do bring up a good point. Thanks!
You want the return as low as you can possibly put it, but higher than the oil level. Not doing this causes frothing/foam. Minimal to you, but bad on many ends. Being a track based owner, I can assure you that frothy oil on a long turn causes issues.

Quote:
A slightly bigger turbo may help.. T25 spools almost instantly on KA24.
Turbo size isn't indicative of good/poor fuel economy, condition of engine and tune are. If anything the car should see better fuel mileage with a smaller turbo due to increased torque and lack of fuel/throttle needed to accelerate.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #53
newslidz
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (3)
newslidz is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to newslidz
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post
I've never EVER seen a MPG difference of any of the cars I've built on similar tunes stock vs forged. In fact I've gotten better fuel mileage on most setups with going to a forged piston simply due to the fact of better ring seal. Curious as to why you see such a difference.

I was actually just thinking that and the fact that most of the times you go to a lower comp piston... it all comes down to the tunes.. your not boosting your car to make good gas milage are you? if so just go by a insight or a prius

JUST A RED TOP SR
newslidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #54
qwerth
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (25)
qwerth is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
nice set ups you guys got there !
qwerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #55
josephin510
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
josephin510 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyace View Post

My Altima got 29/30 highway

Either way nice setup. Nice and clean, just like my car

You want the return as low as you can possibly put it, but higher than the oil level. Not doing this causes frothing/foam. Minimal to you, but bad on many ends. Being a track based owner, I can assure you that frothy oil on a long turn causes issues.

Turbo size isn't indicative of good/poor fuel economy, condition of engine and tune are. If anything the car should see better fuel mileage with a smaller turbo due to increased torque and lack of fuel/throttle needed to accelerate.
I always get a good smile when you layeth the smack down of knowlegde.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #56
future
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (42)
future is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to allfuture is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
I get 17-21mpg on a stock ka24e. I don't think that's too bad. What are you secrets to getting 25-27? I plan on joining this thread sometime but I'm wondering how you pull the extra miles out your asses lol
future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:57 PM   #57
redhatchy92
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
redhatchy92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by future View Post
I get 17-21mpg on a stock ka24e. I don't think that's too bad. What are you secrets to getting 25-27? I plan on joining this thread sometime but I'm wondering how you pull the extra miles out your asses lol
well a dohc is much better on gas trust me. also check all your sensors they help alot.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #58
dRift_g0ddess
Zilvia Addict

dRift_g0ddess is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by s14fbs View Post
^ ditto haha. I like to think it's because I'm a girl though Either way, I'm glad it hasn't happened yet!

Sleeper from this angle Lmao

Awesome thread, I love how these are looking! Pretty much made up my mind about future plans for the Vert.. these pics are quite motivating haha
Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #59
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Wtf is all this mpg bullshit?
Zilprius.net or what?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:37 PM   #60
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm a tad confused with this thread... Perhaps "hidden" ka-t setups would be a more appropriate theme; I don't mean to burst anyone's bubble but a dinky t25 sidemount intercooler ka-t setup isn't "sleeper". It might look similar to original equipment but it's still pretty measly performance wise.
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote