Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Motorsports and Skilled Driving

Motorsports and Skilled Driving Discussion for Organized Racing and motorsports and tips and techniques at becoming a better driver.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #151
MomentumGT
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (0)
MomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to beholdMomentumGT is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey WhiteGLX thumbs up on charting out your progress. We ran SR-X here in Cali and won regional and state champs in 06'...hopefully you did the same on the east coast and we could meet up and trade paint at Mid Ohio this year...if budget permits. lol. Since SR-X has been disolved are you running in ST2, as we are, or ST or SU?

-Jon

momentumgt.com - "building blocks of speed"
MomentumGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #152
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
+1 to anyone who actually races their car.

ugly usually equals faster

especially for budget cars.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #153
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WhiteGLX Send a message via Yahoo to WhiteGLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomentumGT View Post
Hey WhiteGLX thumbs up on charting out your progress. We ran SR-X here in Cali and won regional and state champs in 06'...hopefully you did the same on the east coast and we could meet up and trade paint at Mid Ohio this year...if budget permits. lol. Since SR-X has been disolved are you running in ST2, as we are, or ST or SU?

-Jon

not racing yet, just instructing. I do have a buddy here who ran SR-X and is now in ST1. I personally plan to try and stick in PTA by whatever means necessary so i dont have to run with the higher dollar groups such as ST1 or ST2, forcing me to keep mods to a minimum.

thanks Steve, i dont race, just track regularly, and share my experiences and car upgrades to benefit the nissan community.

***NASA HPDE Instructor***
WhiteGLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #154
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (2)
TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The full race manifold should make some serious power once its tuned out. Any way you could post up dyno graphs before and after once its installed?

and +1 for coming to Mid Ohio, haha. Would be great to have some more nissans out there.
TheArkitekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:09 AM   #155
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

WhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to allWhiteGLX is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArkitekt View Post
The full race manifold should make some serious power once its tuned out. Any way you could post up dyno graphs before and after once its installed?

and +1 for coming to Mid Ohio, haha. Would be great to have some more nissans out there.
we will see about serious power, im still only going to boost 11psi this year, my torque curve and turbo response should be great though.

I have been to mid-ohio before, but it snowed 10 inches while i was there, not a very enjoyable March '05 event. I plan to come back later this year to track with my brother, should be great times.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #156
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

TheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the roughTheArkitekt is a jewel in the rough
yeah snow and ohio go hand in hand. I really hate living out here, but oh well...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:38 PM   #157
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
^lol i havent driven my 240 since september... well i did drive it something like 2 or 3 weeks ago when all snow melted/salt washed away.. but its back to snow and lots of it again up here in ontario/canada...

I hate winter... i hate snow... gah...
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #158
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

parts to be installed as soon as my gaskets for the exhaust stuff come in.

New engine bay shot with FMIC and Rad mounted, along with high temp coated IC pipes to help keep intake temps down in teh hot hot engine bay.

BOV recirculation action

Parts to be installed, minus the flexpipe for the downpipe

Ducting for brake ducts, and brackets, both pieces from Aircraftspruce.com

New suspension, unknown spring rates, but they are Ohlins, cant be too low True ohlins with adjusters to prove it. These will be cleaned up a bit and possibly upgrading to GC coilover springs for these once i determine spring rates.

These are my BC 264 cams and Fullrace manifold (soon to have EGT port)

be ready for everything finally insatlled, along with a blingin catchcan recirculation setup.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:22 AM   #159
a_ahmed
BANNED

a_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfectiona_ahmed is close to perfection
^sex on wheels... *drool*
a_ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:10 AM   #160
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Very nice, can't wait for installed pics and another trackday.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #161
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

UPDATE!

* Oil catch can recirculation done (pics later)

* Rad and FMIC fully bolted in

* IC piping all done

* Shocks cleaned and set to Ground-Control for new spring perches and coilover sleeves installed

* HKS tophats cleaned and primered

* last bit of ordered parts should be here early next week

car can be completely finished minus coilovers in a few short weeks as long as time permits for bushing install.

All thats left:
- re-pin injector plugs (1 hour)
- install exhauts manifold and new gaskets (3 hours)
- install cams (2 hours)
- install bushings ( 1 day)
- wire in rad fans (3 hours)
- relocate oil filter (again) (2 hours)

Old 02-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #162
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
nice. Don't you just love the feeling of making your car better/faster?

Are the Ohlins any shorter than the stock setup (lower)?

Old 02-04-2008, 08:02 PM   #163
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

the shock is a little shorter, tho the whole setup didnt make the car sit anylower. With the new GC setup custom fitted to the Ohlins ill be able to make the car sit as low as i want with whatever spring rates i want....

Old 02-08-2008, 06:29 PM   #164
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

ok so the full race manifold needs to be sent to fullrace for repairs, proper rapairs at least, i dont feel comfotable putting it on there just to pull it off again in a few months to have it fixed when it brakes again.

so hopefull i can get it all back togeather tomarrow and possibly run it on sunday if all the wiring goes smoothly for the fans and SAFC.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:46 AM   #165
TheArkitekt
Zilvia Member

what specifically was wrong with the full race? was it a design flaw? im thinking about getting one, so im curious.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:52 AM   #166
steve shadows
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (5)
steve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfectionsteve shadows is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to steve shadows
You guys are actually using the Hawk HP Plus?

Maybe it's all my straight away power, but I hate mine.

they are complete garbage compared to my old porterfields.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #167
Brian W.
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (8)
Brian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfectionBrian W. is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Brian W.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve shadows View Post

i used the Hawk HP+ on my Porsche a couple times and they stopped great! only gripe i had was they would eat my rotors up compared to the PAGIDs i switched to.

Cars lookin good Casey!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #168
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

i havnt run Hawk HP+ in over a year, ive been running Carbotech XP10's and XP12's, now i am upgrading to Cobalt XR2's for this year and some brake ducting i went through a set of XP12's in 3 weekends, thats not right way too soon.

thanks alot brian, i cant wait to get the suspension on it and the bushings, its goin to ride so much better meow, youll have to do a ride-along at hyperfest, since ill be in the instructor group and all .

Old 02-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #169
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

engine all done

for run-up all i ned is Oil temp gauge installed (old one failed, replacement maybe this weekend) and SAFC installed, tomarrow prolly.

enjoy....

Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 PM   #170
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Looks good again.

Let us know when you have the Ohlins back and on!

Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #171
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
+1 to anyone who actually races their car.

ugly usually equals faster

especially for budget cars.
Mine must be a fucking rocketship then! LOL!

Quote:

You absolutely cannot compare porterfield pads to hawk HP+. Porterfield is the shit hands down!
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #172
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

i havnt ever used porterfields, so i cant vouch for them, i know people who do run them dont complain, bu i also know people who run Hawk Blues, Carbotech XP12's and Cobalt XR2's that dont complain either.

im working my way through the list we will see how the XR2's hold up this next event in march, if they work good and last ill run them all season. Some brake ducts this summer should help pad longevity also...

Old 02-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #173
bungl3

bungl3 is making a name for him/her selfbungl3 is making a name for him/her self
hiya

the only spring rates offered with the ohlins kit were 8/6. i also have the same set up but youre springs look softer than mine and also arent the same colour so i cant help with what you have

pic of mine:

good work with the car
bungl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #174
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungl3 View Post
hiya

the only spring rates offered with the ohlins kit were 8/6. i also have the same set up but youre springs look softer than mine and also arent the same colour so i cant help with what you have

pic of mine:

good work with the car

i sent my coilovers to Ground-Control to be fitted with custom sleeves and springs. they will look like new once i am done, and if they fail this year i will have them revalved for better spring rates. Current spring rates will be 400lb/ 300lb which i think equates to about 7k/5k a huge upgrade from what i was running before, plus it will be height adjustable.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #175
bungl3

bungl3 is making a name for him/her selfbungl3 is making a name for him/her self
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteGLX View Post
i sent my coilovers to Ground-Control to be fitted with custom sleeves and springs. they will look like new once i am done, and if they fail this year i will have them revalved for better spring rates. Current spring rates will be 400lb/ 300lb which i think equates to about 7k/5k a huge upgrade from what i was running before, plus it will be height adjustable.
interested in pics when they arrive think i need one of mine reconning but the car hasnt seen the road since fitting lol so not 100% sure yet

if you dont mind me asking why those spring rates? im worried that 8/6 on track isnt going to be enough lol

height control is the only thing i wish the ohlins set up had

link to my project thread over on sxoc here....lots of updates to happen soon as i pick up the new shell in a week and hopefully get all the shell prep done the week after.....engine is waiting on a custom clutch
http://sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=289427
Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 PM   #176
WhiteGLX
Zilvia Addict

i chose those spring rates because starting off or going through a learning process you dont need ideal or very stiff spring rates, start low work your way up to something that really suits you. I have been running Tein S-techs for 3 years, so anything over 3k is an improvement. which is why im starting with 7k/ 5k and eventually working up to 8k/6k and maybe 9k/7k, but we will see. I prefer to get used to one setup milk it until its holding me back then upgrade.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 PM   #177
bungl3

Quote:
i chose those spring rates because starting off or going through a learning process you dont need ideal or very stiff spring rates, start low work your way up to something that really suits you. I have been running Tein S-techs for 3 years, so anything over 3k is an improvement. which is why im starting with 7k/ 5k and eventually working up to 8k/6k and maybe 9k/7k, but we will see. I prefer to get used to one setup milk it until its holding me back then upgrade.
sounds like a good plan i like to dive in feet first lol

was running kybs and apex springs on mine and it was awful, really floppy even with upgraded roll bars (sway bars?).
Old 02-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #178
frosty_the_iceman

frosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nicefrosty_the_iceman is just really nice
Nice work! I've been reading through this thread in sections, great stuff.

I like how you sourced the brake duct material from Aircraftspruce; I'm an aircraft mechanic so I when I saw the picture I thought "Hey, I've seen that stuff before!" and then I read the caption.

Please let us know how SAFC tuning goes. I'm considering one for an N/A KA with bolt-ons, but there seems to be a strong pro-standalone argument.
frosty_the_iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #179
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
Quote:
i havnt ever used porterfields, so i cant vouch for them, i know people who do run them dont complain, bu i also know people who run Hawk Blues, Carbotech XP12's and Cobalt XR2's that dont complain either.

im working my way through the list we will see how the XR2's hold up this next event in march, if they work good and last ill run them all season. Some brake ducts this summer should help pad longevity also...
We used to use porterfield pads on our formula atlantic car. Pads lasted forever and my dad never complained about fade.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #180
veilside180sx
Zilvia Junkie

veilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to allveilside180sx is a name known to all
What wheels are you running again?

That's the only REAL drawback to that Ohlin's setup (other than almost stock length) is that the flanges don't have much room for wide wheels w/o going towards the fenders.