Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:35 AM   #31
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
A 12 inch wide rim is also more weight.

Go to the next HPDE or other non-drift event and find me someone running a 12 inch rim, not counting Supras and Vipers.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2005, 11:40 AM   #32
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
to the thread starter. had you used the search button you would have found numerous threads, strictly on wheel fitment, offset, camber, tire specs.....235 isn't meaty on a 10. 245/255 definately cleans up the look. BTW depending on how to get the fenders repulled, camber will allow more or less tire-to-fender clearance a fender setup like that is GOLD for meaty tires and ability to get into vik sized wheels.

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
Old 09-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #33
s134
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
s134 is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sill beer
^^^What size and offset are those
17x10 +17.....................
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 PM   #34
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
Vik, you are a fucking moron. Get off this board and quit being such a homophobic/gay basher.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #35
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
on a side note to hopefully calm down this shit:

There's nothing wrong with drift style- but it is one style. Drifting is not about outright speed, it's about car control, and therefore drift setups have different goals in mind when making decisions.

There are other people that do NOT drift and therefore don't adhere to "Drift style"

Thats why i think comments from chmercer are way off base, just like jcsb(wutever)'s comments are unnecessary. Just respect people they do different things.

We can still flame the newbie with 17x7 +44 though.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:23 PM   #36
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Jcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to Jcb890
i was simply saying i'm not impressed by him being on the news for drifting cuz i'm not a drift fanatic, drifting is fine and good and cool in its own aspect just like drag, track, autox and whatever else, its all fuckin cool and fun, drifting just isn't my thing.

stretching a tire isn't good for anything. you don't want to stretch a tire period. ever. you just don't.

how many le mans cars, drag cars, autox cars, track cars, real drift cars have stretched tires? the answer should be 0 for a reason. so yeah, stretched tires on a huge rim are super sweet d00d.

I'm trying to cure this tire stretching epidemic that has been going around. anyone else care to help me stop it?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:32 PM   #37
vik
Leaky Injector

vik is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot
Vik, you are a fucking moron. Get off this board and quit being such a homophobic/gay basher.
ahhh im sorry i hurt your feelings i guess my statement hit close to home
anyways if you need to insult me you can pm me unless you have something to contribute to this thread
and im still waiting on your "performance" setup jcb890..........
Old 09-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #38
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection

Stretched Tires look Kewl, Yo!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #39
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Jcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-knownJcb890 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy

Stretched Tires look Kewl, Yo!
hahahaha. werd lyfe y0!!
Old 09-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #40
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik
ahhh im sorry i hurt your feelings i guess my statement hit close to home
anyways if you need to insult me you can pm me unless you have something to contribute to this thread
and im still waiting on your "performance" setup jcb890..........
fully built sr22det (stroker kit) gt35r turbo and a 150-shot. runs 9's.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #41
vik
Leaky Injector

where did you find my picture?
wheels and tires not engine
godamit what is this thread about????

Last edited by vik; 09-02-2005 at 02:03 PM..
Old 09-02-2005, 02:10 PM   #42
eyustfu
Zilvia Addict

eyustfu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcb890
i was simply saying i'm not impressed by him being on the news for drifting cuz i'm not a drift fanatic, drifting is fine and good and cool in its own aspect just like drag, track, autox and whatever else, its all fuckin cool and fun, drifting just isn't my thing.

stretching a tire isn't good for anything. you don't want to stretch a tire period. ever. you just don't.

how many le mans cars, drag cars, autox cars, track cars, real drift cars have stretched tires? the answer should be 0 for a reason. so yeah, stretched tires on a huge rim are super sweet d00d.

I'm trying to cure this tire stretching epidemic that has been going around. anyone else care to help me stop it?
Drifting isnt my thing either but i can understand stretched tires.

le man cars dont run stretched tires because they have the budget for wideass R compound slicks. You cannot compare all out race tires to street tires. Some AutoX/track drivers i talked to stretches their tires mildly to prevent sidewall flex. As for drag cars, they run narrow wheels up front for weight issues if RWD, and wide in the back for traction. All motorsports set up their cars different.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #43
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

i was joking about the engine. i'm in the middle of a sr20det install. i'll probably be keeping stock rims and getting some sticky tires for them. or maybe i'll tub out the rear and pull and roll the fenders so i can run some 20" wide wheels and stretch some tires on there so the sidewall is almost nonexistant... that'll be sweet.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:23 PM   #44
vik
Leaky Injector

so you are into drag racing thats fine it also explains a lot about the lack of understanding in suspension setup and tire setup for actual driving.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #45
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vik
so you are into drag racing thats fine it also explains a lot about the lack of understanding in suspension setup and tire setup for actual driving.
what am i lacking in sir? the only thing i've said is that stretching a tire is no good. i never said anything about suspension. stretching a tire on a wheel is bad. period. end of story. bad.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 PM   #46
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyustfu
Drifting isnt my thing either but i can understand stretched tires.

le man cars dont run stretched tires because they have the budget for wideass R compound slicks. You cannot compare all out race tires to street tires. Some AutoX/track drivers i talked to stretches their tires mildly to prevent sidewall flex. As for drag cars, they run narrow wheels up front for weight issues if RWD, and wide in the back for traction. All motorsports set up their cars different.
le mans cars dont have the budget??? dude... are you smoking crack? they're driving C5R's, RS6's, etc, etc, they have the budget to run whatever the fuck works best.

who stretches their tires for autox/track? i'd like to know who and see how stretched. running narrow wheels up front.. no shit, that has nothing to do with stretching tires. they run wide rims and tires in the back for traction... guess what, no stretching. according to vik tho, the wider the wheel, the better, no matter what, so why dont they run 35" wide tires with tires stretched like whoa across them? oh wait, thats cuz stretched tires don't handle/grip as well.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:50 PM   #47
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

are we really going to sit here and continue to argue about how a stretched tire is actually a good thing to do? fucking christ almighty people...
Old 09-02-2005, 03:02 PM   #48
eyustfu
Zilvia Addict

eyustfu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
le mans cars dont have the budget??? dude... are you smoking crack? they're driving C5R's, RS6's, etc, etc, they have the budget to run whatever the fuck works best.

who stretches their tires for autox/track? i'd like to know who and see how stretched. running narrow wheels up front.. no shit, that has nothing to do with stretching tires. they run wide rims and tires in the back for traction... guess what, no stretching. according to vik tho, the wider the wheel, the better, no matter what, so why dont they run 35" wide tires with tires stretched like whoa across them? oh wait, thats cuz stretched tires don't handle/grip as well.
wtf are you talking about, i said they have the budget to get expensive tires that works best. for that type of driving they have slicks with stiff ass sidewall. so you can't compared street tires to a le man's tire.

too wide of a tire creates sidewall flex when turning, some people dont like that sloppy feeling so they stretch it SLIGHTLY, i didn't imply that they were throwing on 225's on a x10. You can stretch it up to a certain point. Handling well depends on who is driving the car and their preferences, some people don't mind sidewall flex, some hate it... As for grip, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that if your running a narrow tire on a wide wheel, traction isn't as great as a wider tire. Some people put 245's 255's on a x10 for that extra sidewall stiffness while still having some traction for whatever power they have. It all depends on the size tire your stretching on whatever wheel... a 255 tire non stretched will still have the same contact patch to the ground as a 255 tire on a wider wheel but stretched.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:04 PM   #49
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyustfu
le man cars dont run stretched tires because they have the budget for wideass R compound slicks.
Quote:
yeah, reading is weaksauce
Old 09-02-2005, 03:11 PM   #50
vik
Leaky Injector

Quote:
according to vik tho, the wider the wheel, the better, no matter what, so why dont they run 35" wide tires with tires stretched like whoa across them? oh wait, thats cuz stretched tires don't handle/grip as well.
your are a dumbfuck i run a 245 on a 10j
i guess this is an extreme strech for you
well newsflash for you
so how do you get the idea that this such a bad combo well wait yeah i guess from your lack there of.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:51 PM   #51
JVD
Nissanaholic!

JVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfectionJVD is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by vik
your are a dumbfuck i run a 245 on a 10j
i guess this is an extreme strech for you
well newsflash for you
so how do you get the idea that this such a bad combo well wait yeah i guess from your lack there of.
Wow! Simply stunning. I'd recommend repeating grade 1 and on.

And about running a 12" rim for drifting, chmercer doesn't. He drifts with stock wheels I believe.

JVD.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:10 PM   #52
OptionZero
Post Whore!

so then he runs a 12 purely for cosmetic purposes
Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #53
chmercer
BANNED

chmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond repute
you guy above ^^^ me drifting on stock wheels is because im poor and my car is slow. if money was no object i would be drifting on 19x17s with 355/25s and 950 wheel. and it would be fucking AWESOME. dont even try to hate on victor. his driving and his car kick yours in the ass. cool auto trans and painted taillight garnish and stock everything. go die

JCB - i mentioned the news bit to disprove your stupid statment about me hardparking my car. if you want some action pics flip through the pics thread up top.

stock wheels with sticky tires = your car sucks. sorry dude. this completly confirms my 205 pizza cutters comment. if you havent driven on stretched tires, then go shut the fuck up. dont try to bust into somone elses thread with your awesome stock car and start pushing your shitty ideas about how a car should be tuned on every one else.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 PM   #54
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
yeah, reading is weaksauce
LOL woops. my bad on that one, sorry to the dude who posted about the le mans cars, i was at work so i just read it quickly and thought to myself "wtf is this kid thinkin?" lol.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:18 PM   #55
OptionZero
Post Whore!

yes, u're poor and you're slow...so you run 12 inch wheel. It all makes sense.

yeah, it would suck to have an auto and painted tail light garnish. Whoever matches that description really sucks.

Wouldn't it be funny if someone with a 205 tire were faster than you around a track? Would you crack up? Would you?
Who thinks that'd be funny?

Not even a little bit?

For fun, i'll do a 4 lug conversion and run a 14x6 with 195 azenis.

It's also funny how you pop up in other peoples thread to bash HLSD's, stock aero, stock wheels...wait...isn't that stuff you "don't like".
And hey, don't you spend your time telling off people who don't do things "your way"?

SO if we're not all runnning 19x13 355's, i guess we suck?

If a stock wheel with a sticky tire sucks, don't you think an aftermarket wheel with a shtity tire sucks even more?

FUck man, you're killin me.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #56
chmercer
BANNED

chmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond reputechmercer has a reputation beyond repute
guy above your post.

i dont see the problem with my setup? i dont understand why i have to be able to make a tire slide to be able to run it for gripping? if a corvette uses some slicks, is it a poser car, because it cant drift the slicks? and even if i had some monster motor in there, i wouldnt ever do it, cause i wouldnt want to be replacing the tires all the time (the poor bit). makes perfect sense to me?

edit - and no to the track question. i wouldnt give a shit? im sure a lot of thoes GMR 2000$ cars are far faster than mine on a track and i have way more than that in my car. who cares? thats not what ive built my car for.

again, this thread is retarded. i guess im going to go bust into everyones thread who runs square sidewall tires and call them fags and they need to stretch it. flip the situation around a bit, you know?
Old 09-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #57
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmercer
you guy above ^^^ me drifting on stock wheels is because im poor and my car is slow. if money was no object i would be drifting on 19x17s with 355/25s and 950 wheel. and it would be fucking AWESOME. dont even try to hate on victor. his driving and his car kick yours in the ass. cool auto trans and painted taillight garnish and stock everything. go die :bigOK:

JCB - i mentioned the news bit to disprove your stupid statment about me hardparking my car. if you want some action pics flip through the pics thread up top.

stock wheels with sticky tires = your car sucks. sorry dude. this completly confirms my 205 pizza cutters comment. if you havent driven on stretched tires, then go shut the fuck up. dont try to bust into somone elses thread with your awesome stock car and start pushing your shitty ideas about how a car should be tuned on every one else.
okay, so if you had the choice to run a stretched tire or a tire that isn't stretched, you'd go with the stretched tire? stop being a fucking moron. i said i'd probably just get tires, doesn't matter either way as its going to be winter soon enough anyways and my car won't get any use during the winter months and hopefully i can save up some money, which i'd rather put into making my car faster as opposed to buying $3,000 rims and tires. i'll probably get some decently priced used rims with a good offset and sticky tires that are WIDER than stocks, if not, then i'll be forced to just get sticky tires for the stock rims, which i'd rather not do.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #58
OptionZero
Post Whore!

The goal of the racing corvette is to NEVER slide the wheels. When you slide the wheel you're losing speed. The goal of the corvette is to go as fast as possible around the track. It's slicks are best suited for fulfilling that goal. There's nothing poseurish about that.

Your goal is to get the rear end to come loose but not too loose. Running a tire you can't break loose goes against YOUR goal and therefore it isn't the ideal setup.
If you know you don't have the monster engine to utlize a superwide rear tire, and you keep saying you're poor so I assume you aren't planning on getting that monster engine tomorrow...why do you insist on running such a wide tire?

Again, it's for looks- not because it works best for your driving situation. And there's nothing wrong with doing it for the look, just admit it.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:26 PM   #59
Jcb890
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero
yes, u're poor and you're slow...so you run 12 inch wheel. It all makes sense.

yeah, it would suck to have an auto and painted tail light garnish. Whoever matches that description really sucks.

Wouldn't it be funny if someone with a 205 tire were faster than you around a track? Would you crack up? Would you?
Who thinks that'd be funny?

Not even a little bit?

For fun, i'll do a 4 lug conversion and run a 14x6 with 195 azenis.

It's also funny how you pop up in other peoples thread to bash HLSD's, stock aero, stock wheels...wait...isn't that stuff you "don't like".
And hey, don't you spend your time telling off people who don't do things "your way"?

SO if we're not all runnning 19x13 355's, i guess we suck?

If a stock wheel with a sticky tire sucks, don't you think an aftermarket wheel with a shtity tire sucks even more?

FUck man, you're killin me.
duhhhh obviously 19x11 rims with stretched rubber bands handle WAY better than any 16x7 or 16x8 rim with sticky tires that fit right... gosh.

/sarcasm
Old 09-02-2005, 04:32 PM   #60
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Jcb890:
I think we need to put this argument in context here. You are arguing in absolutes: NEVER or ALWAYS stretched. You're forgetting there are degrees of stretch.

Not everyone is putting a 205 on a 17x10. Check out the Bozz Speed Mitsu EVO; they run the same size tire on each corner (i think a 245), but the fronts have a 9inch width rim and the rears have an 8.5inch width. Why? They wanted to reduce flex in front and utlize faster turn in, while keeping the same width but gradual breakaway characteristics of a rounder tire setup.

This is an isolated example (overpowered track-only AWD car), but illustrates there is a "Gray" in your "black and white" of stretched or not.

And I believe "real" drift cars do run a stretched tire, but again, not to the extreme degree that some people do it. They probably put like a 225 on a 9 or something, I don't know the exact setup of various d1 cars. Not all cars use the stickiest possible rubber as well (some do, it varies).

So stretching good or bad? Taken to an extreme, stretching is stupid. Likewise, running a 255 on a 7 would be stupid too. But there is a range of tire widths you can put on various rim widths and reasons for chooosing them: fender clearance, tire size availability, reducing sidewall flex, etc.

Also, some people like stagger...some people don't. Me, I haven't tried a million setups so I hardly know, but i'm inclined to keep it less staggered or not at all to keep it more neutral. More tire in front for more braking and turn-in grip as well, all that good stuff.
Closed Thread