Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > Administration > Forum Suggestions & Technical Support

Forum Suggestions & Technical Support Post any suggestions or questions related to this site.

Old 04-23-2005, 06:22 PM   #1
91CRXsiR
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (1)
91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 91CRXsiR Send a message via MSN to 91CRXsiR
User Reputation?

How is our rep effected? I see most of the mods have really high rep but most normal users only have 1 green bar.

Another forum I goto hongfire.com which is an anime forum lets users add/sub from other users rep based on thier post content / behavior etc etc. I think this is a good thing hopefully this VB has this feature.
91CRXsiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #2
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Trader Rating: (19)
Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
"User CP," your rep points and each rep left is there, have a look at that...

And I write too!
Phlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 07:37 PM   #3
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Trader Rating: (0)
ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To add to a users rep check out the "Scales of Justice" located below each users name to the left.

<-------- Over here, at the bottom.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #4
91CRXsiR
Nissanaholic!

91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self91CRXsiR is making a name for him/her self
i c, perfect its just like the other forum.. thanks
Old 07-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #5
radhaz
Premium Member

radhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud of
This is an older post I know, but the information is at least on topic and didn't warrant a new post of its own.

I've been on a forum that used this feature (A5OG.net) to allow users access to specific forums like group buy, for sale, advertisers sections etc. User's are required to have 50 posts and 50 rep points before they can gain access to any of these sections, which allows members to get settled and established before they are allowed to reap the benefits of being a member.

Members give positive rep for constructive and helpful posts and give negative rep for derogatory/inflammatory posts that serve no useful purpose.

If a member gets enough rep to be "in the negative" then they go into the "penalty box" which limits them only being allowed to post in a limited number of threads and I believe that they can't even start posts or PM anyone. Mind you once someone goes into the penalty box they are stuck there for a specific amount of time until it is restored by a moderator the good thing is that once a member is in the box there rep can't be repped up or down until they are restored so you can't go down too far that you can't come back.

The rep system keeps people in check for the most part, the mods randomly monitor the rep to make sure people aren't arbitrarily repping friends for no reason. The system encourages and rewards good behavior and basically brings posts like "that sucks bitch, you're not cool like me" to an end because many folks will rep the derogatory members down.

One final thing about rep, the more rep you have the more "power" you have. Your power is how much rep you give out if you give someone good rep and half your power if you give neg rep. This allows the members who have been around a while and have a fair amount of good rep, to relatively keep the peace.
radhaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Phlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfectionPhlip is close to perfection
^^^ That is not a bad idea in theory, but there would be a decent amount of rep-whoring and it would limit people who likely SHOULD have certain privileges and allow complete dicks to do things when THEY need to be limited. I think the system in place now, where it is in good clean fun works, the moderators control limitation of user privilege with the "partial ban" (pinking) which limits the functions as you named.

And I write too!
Old 07-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #7
91CRXsiR
Nissanaholic!

i got a few neg rep points just for starting this thread so i don't think this would work here..
Old 07-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
radhaz
Premium Member

radhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud ofradhaz has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLIP
^^^ That is not a bad idea in theory, but there would be a decent amount of rep-whoring and it would limit people who likely SHOULD have certain privileges and allow complete dicks to do things when THEY need to be limited. I think the system in place now, where it is in good clean fun works, the moderators control limitation of user privilege with the "partial ban" (pinking) which limits the functions as you named.
With the system up and running rep-whoring is pretty obvious and it's easy for a mod to recognize it, look at the users rep history and commence to rep-bomb anyone who participated in the rep-whoring.

As for abuse & people with the power being "complete dicks" two things tend to happen, one if they're blatant dicks most all of the users tend to ding them for there post which can knock away a chunk of there power pretty fast. The other is if the user is just arbitrarily neg-repping folks because they can then those victims can pm any of the mods who then review it and if that user is found to be a dick then the mods take away there powers and they can start over and the victim gets his rep back.

Tit-for-tat negative repping is not allowed rep isn't supposed to be given away for no reason and in fact, users are required to comment when they give rep.

The system works, and while i've seen some abuses I've also seen every case of abuse regulated and dealt with accordingly. I think given time that if the system was implemented here it could work but who know's really.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:08 PM   #9
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

ThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfectionThatGuy is close to perfection
Current system isn't broken, no need to fix it. I don't like the sound of regular members having "power". We Mods and Admin work hard to keep things under control and organized here at Zilvia.net. More people with more power = more trouble. In my opinion.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
yep. no Democracy. just pure totalitarism. more control that way. i think whole reputation system is just a bonus, no real point to it
Old 07-10-2005, 07:17 PM   #11
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhaz
With the system up and running rep-whoring is pretty obvious and it's easy for a mod to recognize it, look at the users rep history and commence to rep-bomb anyone who participated in the rep-whoring.

As for abuse & people with the power being "complete dicks" two things tend to happen, one if they're blatant dicks most all of the users tend to ding them for there post which can knock away a chunk of there power pretty fast. The other is if the user is just arbitrarily neg-repping folks because they can then those victims can pm any of the mods who then review it and if that user is found to be a dick then the mods take away there powers and they can start over and the victim gets his rep back.

Tit-for-tat negative repping is not allowed rep isn't supposed to be given away for no reason and in fact, users are required to comment when they give rep.

The system works, and while i've seen some abuses I've also seen every case of abuse regulated and dealt with accordingly. I think given time that if the system was implemented here it could work but who know's really.
You mean like that time you neg-repped me for no reason last week? And comment is offered as an OPTION with reputation, not a requirement.
The fact is that I see no problem with the way reputation is set up on this site, it should stay the same or just be removed completely. The fact remains that 80-90% of the users wouldn't even notice.

And I write too!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:59 PM   #12
radhaz
Premium Member

Quote:
You mean like that time you neg-repped me for no reason last week? And comment is offered as an OPTION with reputation, not a requirement.
The fact is that I see no problem with the way reputation is set up on this site, it should stay the same or just be removed completely. The fact remains that 80-90% of the users wouldn't even notice.
Phlip, I left a reason it wasn't just a whim and under an implemented system the reason is mandatory not optional. Since I've been back on the forum I've been leaving negatives and positives out of habit from the other forum.

There's no threat to removing power from the moderators, this just gives the community the ability to regulate itself in a small way. The iron-fist that should never be questioned will still exist it could just be supplemented by users leaving rep for folks. I could go through the past 7 days of threads with post's that are superfluous post whoring and/or in no way add to the the thread.

I'm not trying to sell a new untested system, just bring it to another forum that I visit. I can see that it's meeting a lot of resistance and guess that this isn't the place for it. Thanks to everyone for there time.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:41 AM   #13
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy
Current system isn't broken, no need to fix it.
Message Length
Old 07-11-2005, 05:21 PM   #14
radhaz
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy "Zilvia Moderator"
I don't like the sound of regular members having "power".
An equally impressive quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #15
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

No need to try and be a smartass radhaz, just let it go. I was simply restating the same point I made earlier.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #16
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
basically what you stated is the pinking system. almost the same shit

edit: i just checked my reps points i didnt even know i had. can other people see the rep points ive gotten? or is it only for my eyes onnly?
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:11 PM   #17
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaDriver
basically what you stated is the pinking system. almost the same shit

edit: i just checked my reps points i didnt even know i had. can other people see the rep points ive gotten? or is it only for my eyes onnly?
In Sheena Easton's voice...
For your eyes only...

Actually, look at the little green bar under your avatar and hover your mouse over it.
zero.counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 07:15 PM   #18
ThatGuy
Admin Asshole

Quote:
For your eyes only...
As a Premium Member you are able to view who left you the rep.

\/ Yes,that as well. Thank you for that addition zero.counter.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:18 PM   #19
zero.counter
Nissanaholic!

zero.counter is making a name for him/her selfzero.counter is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to zero.counter
Quote:
Regular members can't see the number of points or who left the rep for others, but can see the level at which they have acquired and of course their own as well.
zero.counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 03:37 AM   #20
TheSnail
Nissanaholic!

TheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to allTheSnail is a name known to all
Quote:

\/ Yes,that as well. Thank you for that addition zero.counter.

Ok, now I see how Phlip guessed who gave him the +1 when I made him guess who it was from. Phlip, you cheating bastard!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:10 PM   #21
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

That is a new benefit of premium membership, before last week I actually had to use my psychic powers and shit

And I write too!
Old 07-14-2005, 08:08 PM   #22
JDMs13
BANNED

JDMs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JDMs13
I had no idea this even existed. So whats the deal, the higher the points, the better the reputation?
JDMs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:09 PM   #23
JDMs13
BANNED

JDMs13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to JDMs13
not to whore or anything....when do you go from a leaky injector to a zilvia member?
JDMs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:42 PM   #24
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMs13
I had no idea this even existed. So whats the deal, the higher the points, the better the reputation?
Yes, and you gain points when a member gives you positive reputation, using those little scales down there on the bottom left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMs13
not to whore or anything....when do you go from a leaky injector to a zilvia member?
Certain amount of posts, ask a mod/admin for the details, I don't remember, I was just short of "post whore" when I went to premium member.

And I write too!
Old 07-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #25
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Found it! (I think)
This was from a while back and I think the custom user text part has been changed to only allow premium members to do it, except for the people who had it before and were grandfathered:

Newbie (Minimum Posts: 0)
Leaky Injector (Minimum Posts: 30)
Zilvia Member (Minimum Posts: 100)
Zilvia Junkie (Minimum Posts: 300)
Zilvia Addict (Minimum Posts: 500)
Zilvia FREAK! (Minimum Posts: 700)
Nissanaholic! (Minimum Posts: 1000)
Post Whore! (Minimum Posts: 2500)
3000+ Posts will allow you to set your own Title in your CP.

And I write too!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:33 PM   #26
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Admins should change the page where you buy the premium membership to show that you get the rep upgraded deal.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:27 PM   #27
TheTimanator
Post Whore!

TheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond reputeTheTimanator has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Found it! (I think)
This was from a while back and I think the custom user text part has been changed to only allow premium members to do it, except for the people who had it before and were grandfathered:

Leaky Injector (Minimum Posts: 30)
Zilvia Member (Minimum Posts: 100)
Zilvia Addict (Minimum Posts: 500)
Zilvia FREAK! (Minimum Posts: 700)
Nissanaholic! (Minimum Posts: 1000)
thats gotta be old b/c I'm still a Zilvia FREAK!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:19 PM   #28
mrmephistopheles
Magnanimous Justice Distribution Service

Trader Rating: (9)
mrmephistopheles has disabled reputation
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Actually, now it's:

Leaky Injector (Minimum Posts: 50)
Zilvia Member (Minimum Posts: 150)
Zilvia Addict (Minimum Posts: 600)
Zilvia FREAK! (Minimum Posts: 1000)
Nissanaholic! (Minimum Posts: 1600)

not sure about the 3k+ posts thing but it's probably accurate.
mrmephistopheles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 PM   #29
Phlip
Yes, I look like that

Admin wins, I found the list I posted from a LONG time ago, from a post that was before premium membership was still but a seedling in the admins' minds

And I write too!
Old 07-19-2005, 12:09 AM   #30
Slick Sileighty

Slick Sileighty is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Current system isn't broken, no need to fix it. I don't like the sound of regular members having "power". We Mods and Admin work hard to keep things under control and organized here at Zilvia.net. More people with more power = more trouble. In my opinion.
Thats like saying "stock is good enough". Why not try it? you can always change it back. Obviously, this other system has had some success on other forums without any ill tragedies. Give a little "power", as it has been called, to the members.

Its not that we dont appreciate what the MODs and ADMINs do here, but giving the members some responsibility and "power" would show you (MODs and ADMINs) have a little faith in that we (members) can help you keep things under control.

Anyways that is my 2 cents
Slick Sileighty is offline   Reply With Quote