Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (5)
cbh148 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Isis V3 Turbo Manifold (SCH40) "Review"

Mods, please move this if I've posted in the wrong section. My apologies.

Since I could not find any reviews (or any non-commercial information for that matter) for the latest Isis manifold, I decided I'd be the guinea pig and give it a try.

A bit of backstory:
My SR swap came with a low mileage Megan bottom mount manifold and after about 8 months of street use (in my possession), it cracked around the turbo flange. I had it patched up by a professional just to get me to a drift event that weekend, not expecting it to last a week, but surprisingly it made it 4 months before finally re-cracking along those same welds (cracks were on welds AND pipe, not just one). I wasn’t surprised that it cracked since they’re so notorious for tearing up, however I must say that I had a CXRacing bottom mount manifold back when I rocked a CA18, and even though it didn’t have the little support bracket that the Megan SR20 manifold has, it never gave me a single issue. Go figure.

So at this point, my options were to find a stock SR turbo manifold (cheap), ball out with a DOC/FullRace manifold (expensive), or to try the new Isis V3 manifold (fair). I had considered the Isis V2 since a couple of my friends have them and they do seem noticeably beefier than the Megan (and most every other Taiwanese 304 stainless manifold), but I figured I’d probably crack the V2 (my friend just cracked his yesterday). Furthermore, I refuse to run a stock manifold because, even though I’m sure they’re all fine and dandy for response/durability, I just flat-out cannot stand how low-pitched the exhaust note is with the stock turbo manifold. (It’s not that it’s such a bad sound, because it isn’t. But rather, my absolute favorite sounding engine is a proper high-pitch SR, which I figure requires a tubular manifold and ideally some nice cams and external wastegate. In other words, I love the high-pitch sound so much that the low-pitch exhaust note is inherently disappointing to me. Trivial to some, but vital to me since this is a fun street car to hit drift events with, not anything serious.)

I figured I’d try the Isis V3 and see what happened because, as of this posting (June 2014), there is zero information on the interwebs about the Isis V3 manifold. Literally nothing, other than retailer pages selling them and a single guy that posted some pics of one on a wooden table since he’s a dealer. Also, my friends at Built To Win Performance hooked me up with a nice discount on it, and said they’d build me a nice custom manifold if the Isis ended up being garbage. So after showing them all the pictures and information that was out there on the V3’s, they told me that it appeared like a stout manifold. They said the welds looked good in the pictures. So I laid down the cash for it.

First (and only) impressions:
Well you know how the hamburgers on the fast food menus look so goddam beautiful, but the one you actually get usually looks like it was slept on? Well. . . that. That happened.

The welds were laughable. It was painfully obvious that what they do is slap the manifold together using typical Stevie Wonder bubblegum welds, then go over those welds with some attempts at “pretty” welds for that DOC/FullRace look. Well I don’t buy it. Er, well I did, but fortunately Enjuku let me return that booboo with the quickness, and Built To Win put that money toward building me a legit custom manifold that will have an external wastegate setup (Tial MVS) for that super sexy high-pitch SR sound I want.

Now before you hop on your angsty elitist high horse and tout “well what did you expect for a bottom mount manifold that’s literally half the price of the DOC/FullRace manifold?” – I didn’t know what to expect, but I know it’s the first Taiwanese brand manifold to be made out of WeldEl schedule 40 piping, and with a pretty much risk-free shot on my hands (since I knew I could get my money back if need be), then why the hell not? Isis has improved some of their products with revisions and whatnot, so it didn’t seem impossible for them to just randomly get a turbo manifold sorted out. However, unfortunately for us, the Isis V3 is about as sorted out as a train wreck.

Now onto the pics. Here’s most everything I snapped of this monstrosity before promptly returning it. Having not actually used this manifold, you now see why I put quotation marks in the thread title.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
EDacIouSX
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (53)
EDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfectionEDacIouSX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to EDacIouSX Send a message via AIM to EDacIouSX Send a message via MSN to EDacIouSX Send a message via Yahoo to EDacIouSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbh148 View Post
the Isis V3 is about as sorted out as a train wreck.
EDacIouSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
casey i see you homie.
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #4
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:

Well you know how the hamburgers on the fast food menus look so goddam beautiful, but the one you actually get usually looks like it was slept on?

Old 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM   #5
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vJilly View Post
casey i see you homie.
awwww shit, Vince up in my zilvia?! what's good playa. i might be hunting for SR lifters (aka old Maxima ve30de lifters) in the junkyard tomorrow if you're bored. pretty sure mine just pooped out.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
vJilly
Zilvia Junkie

vJilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
awwww shit, Vince up in my zilvia?! what's good playa. i might be hunting for SR lifters (aka old Maxima ve30de lifters) in the junkyard tomorrow if you're bored. pretty sure mine just pooped out.
this was actually nick.😡 but either way dang son that's sucks me and Vince share this jazz lol that mani looks terrible but I can't talk... getting a used mani for my ka-t 🙊
vJilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #7
EJ8 944
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
EJ8 944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Those welds at the collector look like molten diarrhea
EJ8 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
tricky_ab
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
tricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud oftricky_ab has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
Thank you for taking the time to post up a review, and including pictures to boot. Those welds look rather terrible, and the overall quality doesn't fit the asking cost.

Quote:

Back for round two... 4 doors this time around...
tricky_ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #9
corkscrew
Zilvia Addict

corkscrew is an unknown quantity at this point
pretty disappointing review. i was really curious about this manifold and from the enjuku pics it looked pretty legit...guess not
corkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:18 PM   #10
Trinidrift3
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
Trinidrift3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
posts a thread saying its a review

doesn't post a review
SICK MAN
Old 06-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
ZX88
Post Whore!

ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
lol wow i was considering this.... wonder what enjuku has to say about this.
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
delado
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
delado is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
They're gonna some how hop in this thread and smear the usual "we've sold over 10,000 of these with zero returns". blah blah blah. I was gonna buy this shit too. A DOC manifold will be my next purchase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviaks2nr View Post
That's because everyone with a zenki feels sorry for themselves and they find commonality in the fact that there's no hope for making them look remotely good.
delado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #13
Livinstrong

Trader Rating: (3)
Livinstrong is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX88 View Post
lol wow i was considering this.... wonder what enjuku has to say about this.
I was myself, especially after reading another review of the same manifold sold by XS Power... http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=565518

It's funny; Mikester also noted about the questionable/missing welds on his manifold, too.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Is this made by the same Isis that is currently taking over Iraq?
Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
Nikzilla
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
Nikzilla is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej View Post
Probably why the welds look like diarrhea

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Nikzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #16
simmode1
Post Whore!

simmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfectionsimmode1 is close to perfection
Send a message via Yahoo to simmode1
Quote:
I doubt it. The ones in Irag really seem to have their stuff together, comparatively.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #17
economix
Zilvia Member

economix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud ofeconomix has much to be proud of
Well the timing of this thread is super bummer cause I have a V3 strapped to an RS3871 in my garage for about a month now. I thought the pix looked great but when I inspected the interior tight welds they were standard, no-nickel stack looking goobers. Haven't returned it yet but also haven't installed it yet except on the turbo (head's off motor). For nearly $400 I mighta got a different exhaust manifold, not that there's anything wrong with the one I have, just..thought it differently like the pix led me to believe.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
You can get a Tomei for $100 more, why waste your money on a no-name colostomy bag?
Old 06-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #19
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
im curious if isis is getting these from the same people who are producing the xspower one in china...

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:47 PM   #20
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
You can get a Tomei for $100 more, why waste your money on a no-name colostomy bag?
Because in the 240sx community, 100$ = 1million.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:02 PM   #21
DoriftoPnoy
Zilvia Addict

DoriftoPnoy is on a distinguished road
It's hit and miss with these cheap manifolds. I have been dailying one from Megan since 2006 and it has never cracked *knock on wood lol*.

But as most people will say... Pay once, cry once. Unless you like to gamble.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:02 AM   #22
Enjuku Racing
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (29)
Enjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to beholdEnjuku Racing is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Enjuku Racing
If you want a super high quality exhaust manifold. PLEASE BUY ONE!!

For the money the ISIS products are great. The ISIS V3 manifold is a great middle ground between the thin walled exhaust manifolds and the high end SCH40 ones. Again, it is your choice as a consumer (cost vs benefit)

If you want an awesome Hand Tiged Manifold, we offer DOC Racing, Synapse, Full Race...etc

http://www.enjukuracing.com/categori...rbo-Manifolds/

These ISIS Manifolds are mig welded SCH40. Then pulsed over with a tig to give it a nicer finish. The pulse can not reach some areas, which is why it looks like its "missing welds".

Sincerely,
Ken Harrison
[email protected]

Enjuku Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #23
Prok0
Zilvia Junkie

Prok0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enoughProk0 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Prok0
To sort of expand on what Ken has said,

We love to sell DOC manifolds and have a great relationship with that manufacturer (I even have one on my personal car, and we run them in BOTH of our race cars for Formula D)

The issue is, when we as sales people try to move the DOC stuff people all too often are quick to complain about the price (which for a hand tig welded, made in the US manifold is honestly a STEAL) they move to the lower cost manifolds such as Megan Racing, ISIS, etc. but somehow still expect the higher quality like DOC. If you want extremely high quality fabrication and high grade materials you have to pay for it, there is really no way around it.

Most lower cost manufacturers are working to improve fitment and quality, but they are not at the level of manufacturers like DOC. The V3 does have a much heavier gauge piping so it should be a marked improvement in longevity over the previous manifolds, but overall build quality and welding is obviously not on quite the same level of DOC, but then again the considerably lower price point reflects that (coming in at over 45% less than the DOC manifold).

Bottom line, if you want the best in quality materials and fab, go DOC, if you want a stronger manifold that will work well and carries good support and warranty from the manufacturer you can go with the ISIS V2 or V3 manifolds.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #24
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Nah XS Power and SSAC are in their own category of shittyness

I like ISIS products, I've used a a few of their products in my builds. Ive used their RB25 manifold, front mount IC core, RB25 short shifter, and V1 control arms on my S14. only issue ive had were the heim joints squeak after a year or so of use. But hey they are functional. They are a great cheap alternative to most ridiculously priced non critial items IE Greddy Style manifolds.

Not to mention great customer service if you have issues with the product
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:50 AM   #25
Munki
Zilvia Member

Munki is an unknown quantity at this point
ewwwwwww /\

Fiber Concepts
Carbon Fiber and Plastic Fabrication.
(657)-204-6237
Munki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:26 AM   #26
EJ8 944
Zilvia Junkie

EJ8 944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty_85 View Post
Nah XS Power and SSAC are in their own category of shittyness
But if you see this thread http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=565518, you'll see these two manifolds are nearly identical in build and quality...
EJ8 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #27
Prove It
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
Prove It is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've had countless ISIS products on my car. Never had a problem with one. The welds look the same on the suspension arms but never had one crack, break, ect. You get what you pay for
Prove It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:21 PM   #28
Sileighty_85
Post Whore!

Sileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfectionSileighty_85 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ8 944 View Post
But if you see this thread http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=565518, you'll see these two manifolds are nearly identical in build and quality...
Regardless, I will never ever buy another XS/ SSAC product ever after my experience with them

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=98133&page=2
1986 SR86 - 200ish
1990 R32 GTR - 320hp
Don't Buy Engines from JDM-Online http://zilvia.net/f/businesses/207457-jdm-online.html
Don't Buy XS-Power or SSAC Shit
Sileighty_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #29
cbh148
Zilvia Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinidrift3 View Post
posts a thread saying its a review

doesn't post a review
SICK MAN
go re-read the original post to see where this was already addressed, mr. SICK DUDE MAN BRO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_ss View Post
Because the Tomei's seem to be just as bad as all the Taiwanese manifolds. They crack and they're made out of the typical thin mandrel bent 304 stainless steel rather than the beefy schedule 40 WeldEl piping that the Isis V3 is made of. Seems like pretty good incentive to try it to me (although, like mentioned in the original post, I'm having a custom manifold built at BuiltToWin.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkidori_s13 View Post
im curious if isis is getting these from the same people who are producing the xspower one in china...
Sure does look like it
Old 06-17-2014, 06:38 PM   #30
Gar9854
Zilvia Member

Gar9854 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why do people keep wasting money on after market replacement manifolds? Stock manifold extrude honed has been proven time and time again.
Gar9854 is offline   Reply With Quote