Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-15-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (21)
StuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Tire Rub At Full Lock? Help

Hey so I bought my first 240sx its 1996 S14 its essentially my first car, used to own a 91 accord for a couple months til I sold it for coil over/alarm money recently. The S14 came with some no name brand camber arms that are red and gold and I bought some F&F Type 2 coilovers. I had my mechanic install it and he's extremely knowledgeable and capable but is used to working on all sorts of stock cars. Modified cars aren't really his ballgame.

He installed my coilovers for me and we've been working to dial in a good ride height. I haven't been changing the top perch because I wan't to keep the spring rate the same as it was from the factory.

The way I sit right now, the back is tucking half way down the tire. and I had a 4" wheel gap in the front for a few days. When he wasn't busy we brought the front down to about 3 cm wheel gap. The wheels used to rub on the old KYB shocks and espelir springs the car had on it but it seemed to have stopped after the MacPherson strut setup was applied.

But here's my problem now that I have a good lowered daily height (goes over bumps nice in a straight line but if you hook it you start chirping and losing traction) the inside of both front wheels touch the front of the wheel-well barely at full lock. However, it's really noticeable when driving and you go full lock so I've been driving making really wide turns like a u-haul truck lately haha

I have some shitty 17x7 Motegi wheels that I can't even find when I look up all the casting numbers on it so I'm not sure what the offset is on em. I need advice, my plan is to get new wheels maybe varrstoens or some used works but I'm literally flat broke after repairs. What do I do until I can afford new wheels + alignment? Has anyone dealt with the same problem and come up with a cost-effective solution? I thought maybe wheel spacers could fix it but I honestly don't know shit about lowering cars lol, Thanks guys
StuckeyOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #2
sil80d
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (12)
sil80d is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Take off the front wheels beat clearance into the wheel wells where ever it shines
sil80d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #3
jr_ss
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (35)
jr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond reputejr_ss has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jr_ss
Raise your car from stupid low to low... Or you can add a small spacer to bring your wheel out, away from the object it rubs on. 5mm spacer should be fine.

Next time, post in the correct area. We have tons of wheel fitment threads, please use one, instead of making your own unnecessary one.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:41 PM   #4
tacobellman_2007
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (6)
tacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nicetacobellman_2007 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have +15mm 9.5" all around and I'm much lower than stock height and I rub way earlier than you do (way before full lock). I have to do big truck U-turns too lol. Either

1. Stay at the same ride height and deal with it
2. Stay at the same ride height and get tubs and have the ability to go lower
3. Stay at relatively the same ride height and get spacers
4. Raise the ride height and do none of the above
5. Sell your car and do none of the above

(there are probably some more options that I couldn't think of)

Amateur photography by me
tacobellman_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #5
silviasandbeer
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
silviasandbeer is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i have spacers and rolled fenders and i can hear it rub at full lock too..
205s all around, im not stupid low or anything lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1_griego View Post
I'm not kingtalon crazy, but I have standards
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBEEWON View Post
What age is appropriate to give your kids the sex talk? Is 3 too soon?
silviasandbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
deolio
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (13)
deolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfectiondeolio is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
high offset wheels are the problem. ditch the shitty motegi's.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:35 PM   #7
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

StuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura aboutStuckeyOG has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by deolio View Post
high offset wheels are the problem. ditch the shitty motegi's.
That was my guess too. So if I want to keep my car lowered I should be going for lower possibly negative offset wheels or is that pushing it too far lol?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #8
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobellman_2007 View Post
I have +15mm 9.5" all around and I'm much lower than stock height and I rub way earlier than you do (way before full lock). I have to do big truck U-turns too lol. Either

1. Stay at the same ride height and deal with it
2. Stay at the same ride height and get tubs and have the ability to go lower
3. Stay at relatively the same ride height and get spacers
4. Raise the ride height and do none of the above
5. Sell your car and do none of the above

(there are probably some more options that I couldn't think of)

What are tubs?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:44 PM   #9
O$mo
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (7)
O$mo is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyOG View Post

What are tubs?

provides a lot more room at full lock...not practical for your situation...just get better fitting wheels
Old 06-15-2014, 11:49 PM   #10
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by O$mo View Post

provides a lot more room at full lock...not practical for your situation...just get better fitting wheels
I appreciate the advice but how do I go about finding a better fitting wheel? What would the recommended sizing/offset be for the wheels at a height like mine? don't really want to go over 17's maybe 18's if they absolutely don't contact anything. thanks for all the help guys
Old 06-15-2014, 11:55 PM   #11
Reece
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
Reece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymoreReece is not welcome here anymore
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
17x9.5 +15 ish fits very very well on S chassis. Or... Stock wheels. Those usually don't rub.
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
17x9.5 +15 ish fits very very well on S chassis. Or... Stock wheels. Those usually don't rub.
I was probably gonna go for some stockies soon but appreciate someone contributing some solid information. I'll be keeping an eye out for similar fitment wheels
Old 06-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #13
Taylor Shinobu
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
Taylor Shinobu is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hammer out the wheel wells, I've had the same problem and hammered the hell of out mine
Old 06-16-2014, 02:59 AM   #14
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor Shinobu View Post
Hammer out the wheel wells, I've had the same problem and hammered the hell of out mine
if you get a chance could you post a picture of what it looks like after you do that?
Old 06-16-2014, 03:25 AM   #15
fliprayzin240sx
Man w/ CTSV & a Car Seat

Trader Rating: (19)
fliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfectionfliprayzin240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to fliprayzin240sx
Im confused, is it the tires rubbing the inside wheel well or the rims are rubbing the coilovers? I'm having a hard time grasping which one it is because if its a FWD shitty rims, I can see the rims rubbing the suspension. Only way you'd be having wheel well rubbing issue with crappy rims is that you're also running beach ball sized tires.

If you think Zilvia has too many assholes...
CLICK HERE!!!
fliprayzin240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:05 AM   #16
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliprayzin240sx View Post
Im confused, is it the tires rubbing the inside wheel well or the rims are rubbing the coilovers? I'm having a hard time grasping which one it is because if its a FWD shitty rims, I can see the rims rubbing the suspension. Only way you'd be having wheel well rubbing issue with crappy rims is that you're also running beach ball sized tires.
On full lock to the right the driver outer wheel rubs against the front of the wheel well but like barely. On full lock left the right side of the wheel on the driver side rubs against the front at full lock also. Same thing happens on both sides. It still stops it from hitting full lock though and sounds real bad when I do a donut or something and go full lock rolling. The wheels say 235/45ZR17 I think those are low profile tires?
Old 06-16-2014, 05:59 AM   #17
OMFGeofffff
Zilvia Member

OMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really niceOMFGeofffff is just really nice
Get skinnier tires. I'm running 225 on a 9.5" rim. You should be at the most 215. On that skinny of a wheel.
OMFGeofffff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 AM   #18
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your tires a huge man.
TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #19
StuckeyOG
Zilvia Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
Your tires a huge man.
Quote:
Get skinnier tires. I'm running 225 on a 9.5" rim. You should be at the most 215. On that skinny of a wheel.
That explains it, thanks guys! just saw the small question thread my bad didn't mean to clutter up the forum. administrator please lock thread I got the information I needed now. Thanks again
Old 06-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #20
Taylor Shinobu
Zilvia Junkie

Taylor Shinobu is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckeyOG View Post
if you get a chance could you post a picture of what it looks like after you do that?
I didnt take any pics but It doesn't really look different, just hammer there are scuff marks from the tire, do that and get a smaller tire and you will be fine