Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > S Chassis

S Chassis Technical discussion related to the S Chassis such as the S12, S13, S14, and S15.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:10 PM   #1
JustCallMeTakumi
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
JustCallMeTakumi is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KA Dies at cold start, fine when warm

This is my first post on this forum so try not to bash on me too hard if i screw anything up or if it is too long. I've been on this forum pretty much all day everyday since I bought my 240 last July. When I first bought the car it would die at startup so I would have to give it gas for a bit until it would hold an idle. Once it was warm it would be fine. The guy told me the fuel pump was bad and I didn't know shit at the time so I bought a walboro 255 and installed that a few days after I bought the car. It did not change a thing about the car at all, but it does prime everytime now (not sure if the last one did or not because I bought it so quickly I never tested the old one). While driving the car hard close to or up to redline, when I would come out of gear into neutral the car would idle VERY high, usually between 3-5k. I would have to drive for like twenty minutes before it would decide to drop to around 1500 which I decided would have to be acceptable for the time being. The next day it would be back to square one barely starting.

Later on down the line with the same problem occuring I decided to change my fuel filter to a z32 since I had the walboro and people were saying for some reason it would be a smart idea to install that since I had a leak on my stock filter, but I have had an off and on leak from it since. This last week however I haven't had a leak at all, but a slight smell of gasoline on start up. For a few months however the car was idling at about 4k rpm even on start up so for those months i did not drive the car at all. About a month ago it dropped to about 2k and i decided to take it out for a while to keep oil and gas running through the engine since it hadn't been touched in forever. I was getting the MAF and the Knock sensor code from my ecu. Keep in mind it's a 91 hatch with a ka24de. I had my friend just a few days ago check the car out and he loosened the throttle cable which brought the idle down to 1000 and for the time being, my problem of idling was fixed. My engine light went off and while driving it felt like my timing was back to normal which I am assuming was screwed due to the ecu sending random codes all over the place because of the throttle.

Now we are in the present and my car will start but die again just like when I first got it on a cold start. On a warm start it starts just fine and idles fine. And so far while driving it hard it comes back down to the idle that it was at instead of staying high like before. I am asking for any feed back or help on what could possibly be the problem on why it idles so low cold and then after heating up idles normal since usually it should idle higher at start and drop down once heated up. Also when driving it while it is cold the acceleration is very random and sometimes wont accelerate normal until like 3k rpm, but when it is warm it seems to drive just fine.
And when the AC is on the idle drops to like 500 which isn't bad, but just feels like its on the brink of wanting to die. I'm not too worried about this problem and fixing it in like five minutes since the car does drive fine, I just have to let it warm up a bit. But I just want to make sure I'm not ignoring anything since I have some Christmas money and money from work I have saved up to start upgrading the thing so I don't want to put any stress or worsen anything before I start sliding the car. Any feedback or help is appreciated.
JustCallMeTakumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (37)
kruked is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 37 reviews
Check the idle air control valve?
Old 01-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
JustCallMeTakumi
Leaky Injector

I already have pulled it off three times and cleaned it well each time. It is getting power, but I can't remember if the screw still works on it, but it seems to be doing it's job.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #4
kruked
Nissanaholic!

What about checking the sensor on it. If you download the s13 FSM, it'll tell you how to check the circuitry w/ a volt meter.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #5
JustCallMeTakumi
Leaky Injector

I have the FSM, I have checked it with a volt meter, it was ok before my idle was normal, I haven't checked since.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:15 PM   #6
kruked
Nissanaholic!

Just to be absolutely sure that I'm on the same page, you no longer have the high idle issue. Adjusting the throttle cable fixed that issue?
Now you just have the stalling problem?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #7
JustCallMeTakumi
Leaky Injector

Yes, the high idle is gone. My idle in a cold start is about 6-800, warm it's right at or under 1k and with the AC on it's back to like 6-800.