Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #1
ZX88
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (8)
ZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud ofZX88 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
winter and coilovers?

well im going to be ordering some coilovers in the near future and hear in jersey the roads are covered in salt sould i worry about the salt destroying the treads on the coilovers or is it not that big of a deal i usually wash the undercarage every two weeks.also what would cause a set to lock up?
ZX88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #2
mr_240sx
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
mr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfectionmr_240sx is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mr_240sx Send a message via MSN to mr_240sx
if i were you id be safe and change them for the stock setup during the winter months if you plan on driving your 240 in the winter
mr_240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Full-Lock
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (0)
Full-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfectionFull-Lock is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Full-Lock
ya, or just wait until winter is over to put them on. i've daily'd a stock s14 for about 2 years now through the winter w/ no problems. it has buddy club coilovers and they are holding up just fine.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #4
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to aznpoopy
i just drive on them. if you're real worried about rust and all that, why not just oil up the coil thread real good every week or two?

shit should be able to hold up for two or three years though.
aznpoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
Dunkee
Zilvia Addict

Dunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of lightDunkee is a glorious beacon of light
I didn't have a problem last time I had my car for the winter. Cleaning/oiling them up def sounds like it would help.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:36 PM   #6
SimpleS14
Post Whore!

SimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfectionSimpleS14 is close to perfection
Been driving the car for quite awhile with the coilovers. Your going to get surface rust at the most, so you will be okay. Putting oil on the threads might be a bad idea, as you are bound to attract more dirt and grime.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
chuy
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (2)
chuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura aboutchuy has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im in Colorado and I just clean them up really good once a month. I dont spray anything on them just clean them really good.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #8
white97s14
Leaky Injector

white97s14 is an unknown quantity at this point
im in oklahoma and we have crazy weather, we had a hell of an ice storm last month and i drove my car through the whole thing just fine, i have k-sport coilovers. i raised it up a little bit after that storm and i just lubed the coilovers up really well, not a problem
Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
speedstar01
Zilvia Junkie

speedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_240sx
if i were you id be safe and change them for the stock setup during the winter months if you plan on driving your 240 in the winter

my vote is with this guy. why not just swap to stock suspension for the winter. keep those coils clean esp if they are expensive....
speedstar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleS14
Been driving the car for quite awhile with the coilovers. Your going to get surface rust at the most, so you will be okay. Putting oil on the threads might be a bad idea, as you are bound to attract more dirt and grime.
I think that's the reason Kuah told me not to lube/spray my TC rods with anything years ago. It will wear faster because of the stuff sticking to it. So, the same should apply to the coilover threads.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:08 PM   #11
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

aznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond reputeaznpoopy has a reputation beyond repute
i just took a look at my coil threads today. there's surface rust everywhere BUT the coil threads. haha.

but anyway, i don't think oiling up the threads would cause any problems. reason being anyone who cared about their suspension would wipe off any dirt or grime and relube the thread before they adjusted the collars.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:16 PM   #12
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
for driving your 240 in the winter
sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #13
kandyflip445
Post Whore!

kandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfectionkandyflip445 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kandyflip445
Is Buffalo getting all that snow too?
Old 02-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #14
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
well i got about 4ft on the ground now and the roads are like driving on the moon lol. and we havent seen temps about 15 in about 2 weeks.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:18 PM   #15
slow40
Zilvia Junkie

slow40 will become famous soon enoughslow40 will become famous soon enoughslow40 will become famous soon enoughslow40 will become famous soon enoughslow40 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanzer123
well i got about 4ft on the ground now and the roads are like driving on the moon lol. and we havent seen temps about 15 in about 2 weeks.

that my friend is just stupid cold...i don't see how you do it...

i had a week span of 18-20 here in TN and froze my face off...
slow40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #16
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

ya it gets pretty bad here sometimes but ususally not this cold for this long. luckly im goin to socal for 2 weeks on wednesday!
Old 02-09-2007, 10:50 PM   #17
Ian
Post Whore!

Ian is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfectionIan is close to perfection
Regularly run through the car wash...brush the threads with a stiff brush...DON'T oil them cuz it'll attract more grime...

if you care that much, cover the non moving parts with masking tape or osmething haha, i donno...

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookOutDrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
No it isn't
This is "cool stickers"
not"let's make our car look like a pile of shit and dead babies"
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:39 AM   #18
cochino uno ochenta
Premium Member

Trader Rating: (17)
cochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud ofcochino uno ochenta has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
The only salt you should be worried about is the salt of my balls and the rusty sound your mom makes after she's done sucking them.
cochino uno ochenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:10 AM   #19
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
3 winters on my tein SS. threads dont even have surface rust just alot of dirt and crap that makes it hard to turn the collars so i have to wash them pretty good before i adjust. got sum surface rust on the dampening knob on top though
Old 02-10-2007, 07:25 AM   #20
cosil8e
Leaky Injector

cosil8e is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuy
Im in Colorado and I just clean them up really good once a month. I dont spray anything on them just clean them really good.
HEY CHUY!

i've been driving various cars with various coilover setups in colorado for about ten years and have never run into any major problems other than having to brush light amounts of gravel out the the threads. i'm with chuy, just check and clean them somewhat regularly.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:54 AM   #21
speedstar01
Zilvia Junkie

speedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the roughspeedstar01 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznpoopy
i just took a look at my coil threads today. there's surface rust everywhere BUT the coil threads. haha.

but anyway, i don't think oiling up the threads would cause any problems. reason being anyone who cared about their suspension would wipe off any dirt or grime and relube the thread before they adjusted the collars.
hey aznpoopy, what brand of coils do you run?

and i must say...

+2 for not driving 240s in the winter (i just cant afford to lose a nice car that will take months to replace in NY) plus arent S13 bodies more susceptible to rust? at least ive heard they are worse than S14 bodies....anyone?
speedstar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 12:44 PM   #22
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainevent212
if you care that much, cover the non moving parts with masking tape or osmething haha, i donno...
That's actually not a bad idea
Old 02-11-2007, 12:40 AM   #23
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
i've had my car for over 3 years. DD in nyc snow rain potholes. the only rust is on my stupid leaky sunroof!!! grrrr
Old 02-11-2007, 09:35 PM   #24
98koukile
Zilvia Addict

98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough98koukile will become famous soon enough
No salt in my town... just some chemical that doesn't let water freeze. I don't even know what surface rust looks like anymore! I'm sure I could find something if I looked harder
Old 02-11-2007, 09:43 PM   #25
coupelove626
BANNED

coupelove626 is an unknown quantity at this point
i would totally leave coilovers on and drift...perfect for winter. too bad it doesnt snow in Los Angeles
coupelove626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:36 PM   #26
aznpoopy
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedstar01
hey aznpoopy, what brand of coils do you run?

and i must say...

+2 for not driving 240s in the winter (i just cant afford to lose a nice car that will take months to replace in NY) plus arent S13 bodies more susceptible to rust? at least ive heard they are worse than S14 bodies....anyone?
section rma8

it doesn't get driven much now that i have a daily. but my s14 did 3 winters for me no problem back in the day.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #27
1Via!
Zilvia Junkie

1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all1Via! is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 1Via!
Its not dangerous as long as you know the limits of your car and drive smart.
I daily drive my car with coils, 2 ways, etc. through the 7 months of the seattle rainy season on RS2s with no problem. Only time I leave the car at home is when its compact snow/ice.
1Via! is offline   Reply With Quote