Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #121
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (16)
BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
damn it man that is awesome. I just read through more of this thread lol. I was just looking at mines r32 parts myself then come in here and see you got a shit ton. Your car is perfect. Black and obviously tuned by a legend company. I will be in the market for a Nismo r32 probably next year. The only thing I hate about the nismo versions is that they are not black lol. I have the cash now, but I may want a little work done before its sent here. Doing lots of research right now, basically just want a tip top (super clean) car that will be ready for the road and not have any surprises. If I came across something like yours though, I would be tempted to go with a non Nismo model. I like the collectability though. I'm weird like that. Your car is badass, if it had RG orginals in gold it would be damn near my dream r32. Looking forward to more.

Lets get some interior shots!!!
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #122
ODS
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
ODS is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Kunio, the people want interior shots!

Thanks man! I was not planning to buy until next year aswell. This one kind fell in my lap and I had to make a quick decision, so I went for it.
ODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #123
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

BossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really niceBossHogg is just really nice
you made a good choice.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 PM   #124
gtr888

gtr888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by g35gabby View Post
Just about everyone I have contacted has been happy to cover my skyline. 1 or 2 have asked for me to stop by one of their locations to "see it" in person to verify it, but none have denied coverage. Geico, hagerty, and Progressive have by far been the easiest to deal with however. I haven't tried "the general" or "direct" or any of the other so called "cheap" insurance companies, but my experience with this over all has been pretty simple.
I use Grundy and have my 91 Skyline insured for 30,000 value.
gtr888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #125
ODS
Zilvia Member

Now all I have to do is endure some more time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
you made a good choice.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:44 AM   #126
ODS
Zilvia Member

I had to show the GTS-t some love.....
Old 05-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #127
ODS
Zilvia Member

Should be getting some video from the Hara trip here soon!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #128
ODS
Zilvia Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wn2sQDJp0
Old 06-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #129
ODS
Zilvia Member

Haven't posted on here in a while. Everything is going well just stacking up parts waiting for the shipping date!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #130
ferrariowner123
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (1)
ferrariowner123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODS View Post
Haven't posted on here in a while. Everything is going well just stacking up parts waiting for the shipping date!
What all do you have coming in addition to the two cars?

-Kyle
ferrariowner123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:44 AM   #131
ODS
Zilvia Member

Well I'm getting some suspension parts for the gtst, full GTR N1 areo, maybe another set of wheels, some seats, front mount intercooler for the gtst a nice piping kit for the GTR and maybe some other odds and end stuff.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:19 PM   #132
ODS
Zilvia Member

picked up some upper control arms for the GTS-t and some R33 GTR seats!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #133
theericsmith
Zilvia Member

theericsmith is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
I will be in the market for a Nismo r32 probably next year. Doing lots of research right now, basically just want a tip top (super clean) car that will be ready for the road and not have any surprises.
Not trying to destroy your hopes and dreams but they'll probably make an R36 before you find that.
theericsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #134
g35gabby
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (26)
g35gabby is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by theericsmith View Post
Not trying to destroy your hopes and dreams but they'll probably make an R36 before you find that.
http://rivsuimports.com/inventory.html

steve has imported 3 this year. there is one read to buy, but not what I would call "super clean". that body kit kills it for me.

His personal Nismo GTR was super clean. I think GTR garage had one f/s as well. So did thegtrshop in england. Last I heard the GTRshop one hadn't sold yet.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #135
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theericsmith View Post
the hell you talking about lol. Who cares if the r36 is out or not. The r36 will be out soon. Has nothing to do with a r32 lol.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:08 PM   #136
BossHogg
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by g35gabby View Post
http://rivsuimports.com/inventory.html

steve has imported 3 this year. there is one read to buy, but not what I would call "super clean". that body kit kills it for me.

His personal Nismo GTR was super clean. I think GTR garage had one f/s as well. So did thegtrshop in england. Last I heard the GTRshop one hadn't sold yet.
I want a bone stock one, at least cosmetically. Whoever had that r32 ruined it. I wouldn't pay 5k for that pile. The stock aero is what I want. No rear wiper etc. I will most likely have work done to it while its over their. It really depends on the cash flow at that time. If the car is not clean enough to begin with, then might as well just get a regular GTR and save some cash to throw into it for resto/upgrades. It will all depend on when the time comes. I'm spontaneous like that. Not in any hurry.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #137
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

BoostSlideWayz is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Haven't read every page, But is there anyone who has imported an R32 like this legally into California ?

Obviously here the smog and car laws are so extensive im sure even with the 25 year rule its difficult.

I've read many websites, forums and other sources on the process.. but there seems to be lots of unclear advice.

I know some people seem to want to be the only one with cars like this but i think it would be helpful if people could possibly make a thread or post on this thread the exact steps they took and websites they used.

Like:
-what website did you go to, to purchase the vehicle ?

-What company did you use to ship it here ?

- Do you just go to the dock where the shipment arrives or does the car go through customs for a couple days ?

- How much paper work did you have to go through to actually drive or tow the car home ?
( listing the exact types of forums or papers you had to fill out and what kind of info do they ask )

Pretty much the process it takes to get a car like this or other companies besides nissan in California from Japan.

Like any other user on here i'd be highly interested in a car like this or a different type of car. But i have heard that the us customs and boarder protection sometimes will give you a hassle if you don't already have some certain documents ready.

This page is mainly what i've learned from how some of it goes( http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../importing-car). But i just wanna hear some successful stories of imports that made it to california along with their own personal account on how they did it specifically.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:52 PM   #138
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (29)
GTR-Garage is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I can tell you what we know about importing into California and why we tell all our customers there that if they bring a vehicle in under the 25 year exemptions they will likely be unable to register it. We certainly aren't experts in the specifics and will not say it's impossible, but we aren't going to put a customer at risk of not being able to register the car they import.

California has it's own "EPA" of sorts called the California Air Resources Board. Direct imports (including cars brought in under the 25 year exemption) are required to pass a one time intensive inspection before they can be registered. This is not a SMOG test. It is very expensive ($1,000+ per hour) and in all likelihood the vehicles everyone wants to import like Skylines, Silvia, Laurels, Cefiros, etc., will not pass it. Older Skylines like the Hakosuka can be registered because they do not have to go through the test as California has an exemption 1976 models or older.

Until something changes, or an above board (i.e. legal) way to register direct imports under the 25 year exemptions in California and can be proven legitimate we aren't going to export cars to California unless the customer specifically states and is willing to sign off on their intention to use it as an off-road vehicle only.

If anyone knows more about the specifics of the issue we'd love to hear it. We haven't had time to invest in researching it our retaining a legal researcher to look into it further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostSlideWayz View Post
Haven't read every page, But is there anyone who has imported an R32 like this legally into California ?

Obviously here the smog and car laws are so extensive im sure even with the 25 year rule its difficult.

I've read many websites, forums and other sources on the process.. but there seems to be lots of unclear advice.

I know some people seem to want to be the only one with cars like this but i think it would be helpful if people could possibly make a thread or post on this thread the exact steps they took and websites they used.

Like:
-what website did you go to, to purchase the vehicle ?

-What company did you use to ship it here ?

- Do you just go to the dock where the shipment arrives or does the car go through customs for a couple days ?

- How much paper work did you have to go through to actually drive or tow the car home ?
( listing the exact types of forums or papers you had to fill out and what kind of info do they ask )

Pretty much the process it takes to get a car like this or other companies besides nissan in California from Japan.

Like any other user on here i'd be highly interested in a car like this or a different type of car. But i have heard that the us customs and boarder protection sometimes will give you a hassle if you don't already have some certain documents ready.

This page is mainly what i've learned from how some of it goes( http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../importing-car). But i just wanna hear some successful stories of imports that made it to california along with their own personal account on how they did it specifically.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #139
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Send a message via AIM to BoostSlideWayz Send a message via Yahoo to BoostSlideWayz
Good info, that is another aspect i was thinking of is if you register the car as off road can you just get it with out the inspection ? Or is the inspection mandatory regardless of whether you plan for it to be an off road vehicle or not ?

Pretty much the inspection seems to be the main thing to hault the whole process.

I would even be willing buy a car register it as offroad and keep true to that buy towing it where ever i wanna take it and just unload it where ever. Like for car shows or track days etc.

But if the inspection is mandatory, i dont know if i even want to attempt it.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:02 PM   #140
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

The inspection is mandatory to get it registered. The safety and emissions exemptions are Federal laws. California can't stop you from importing and legally owning one of these cars, but they can bar you from registering it. You can actually insure them as well, you just can't get plates.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:16 PM   #141
BoostSlideWayz
Nissanaholic!

Ok so thats not avoidable, so lets say i purchased the same car ( r32 skyline ) For around maybe 6500 USD.

How much more would i spend besides that on:

Container

Shipping

Inspection

And other fees that apply for importing said car to california ? Sorry for so many questions but im interested in something like this in the future.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #142
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

Boost - I just sent you a PM. I figured it might be rude to start throwing pricing out on a public thread. Don't want to step on anyone's toes.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #143
ODS
Zilvia Member

....... The wait is almost over!
Old 06-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #144
GTR-Garage
Zilvia Addict

The question is, just how many sets of wheels are you going to buy before the container is sealed?
Old 06-19-2014, 10:34 PM   #145
ODS
Zilvia Member

Haha! We shall see!
Old 06-28-2014, 09:26 PM   #146
ODS
Zilvia Member

I have been buying lots of parts! Also if you guys are not aware I've postponed my shipping date so I can do a container share! Contact GTR Garage and they can source any part you are looking for.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #147
EJ8 944
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (8)
EJ8 944 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I'm excited for you, reading this thread, watching this all progress, I can't want until your car is finally in your hands.
EJ8 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #148
ODS
Zilvia Member

Its been a killer waiting lol but it will be worth it.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #149
Slippin'eight-nine
Leaky Injector

Slippin'eight-nine is an unknown quantity at this point
Any updates??
Old 07-18-2014, 08:11 PM   #150
coreyh
Leaky Injector

coreyh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR-Garage View Post
I can tell you what we know about importing into California and why we tell all our customers there that if they bring a vehicle in under the 25 year exemptions they will likely be unable to register it. We certainly aren't experts in the specifics and will not say it's impossible, but we aren't going to put a customer at risk of not being able to register the car they import.

California has it's own "EPA" of sorts called the California Air Resources Board. Direct imports (including cars brought in under the 25 year exemption) are required to pass a one time intensive inspection before they can be registered. This is not a SMOG test. It is very expensive ($1,000+ per hour) and in all likelihood the vehicles everyone wants to import like Skylines, Silvia, Laurels, Cefiros, etc., will not pass it. Older Skylines like the Hakosuka can be registered because they do not have to go through the test as California has an exemption 1976 models or older.

Until something changes, or an above board (i.e. legal) way to register direct imports under the 25 year exemptions in California and can be proven legitimate we aren't going to export cars to California unless the customer specifically states and is willing to sign off on their intention to use it as an off-road vehicle only.

If anyone knows more about the specifics of the issue we'd love to hear it. We haven't had time to invest in researching it our retaining a legal researcher to look into it further.

every gray market car that comes into California will got through a visual inspection to make sure its road-worthy and that all emissions devices are un-altered. the only exemption is 65 and older.

75 and newer need to go through FTP (federal testing procedures) to be brought up to smog standards. They'll then give you a BAR tag in your drivers door-sill that will list the year of the car, the year/make/model/and size in cc and liters, for the car. it will also list every emissions device on the car. if you want to get this done my advice is buy all C.A.R.B. legal mods BEFORE you go in to get tested. its an expensive process, but besides being time consuming isn't difficult at all. there's a soarer here that had it done. the first 50 state street legal gray market car I believe. FTP all said and done usually costs about 10,000. obviously its not exact costs but that should give you a ball park estimate.

this all information given to me by C.A.R.B., B.A.R., and California EPA. ive got well over 90 hours bar training in just gray market vehicles alone, so if you've got any questions I'm more than happy to help.
coreyh is offline   Reply With Quote