Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #1
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
Trader Rating: (3)
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Arrow Need Quick Responses...

NEED QUICK RESPONSES...

Scroll down towards bottom for new questions

What are everyones thoughts on mismatched coilovers (front/rear of course). I found a deal on a pair of Apex'i N1s for the front and and pair of Tein HAs for the rear. The N1s are the older version, does anyone know the spring rate for those up front. From what I can find, the HAs are 5kg in the rear. Only thing I was worried about is having the spring rates too far apart (like an 8/5). Is that too much stagger? I know 8/6 is popular. Anyone with any experience or input, please let me know what you think...

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by upSLIDEdown; 06-10-2005 at 06:17 AM..
upSLIDEdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #2
KiDyNomiTe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (0)
KiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond reputeKiDyNomiTe has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to KiDyNomiTe
well springrates don't tell all, valving plays a huge role in it. 8/6 HEs compared to 8/7 Silk Roads have a huge difference IMO.

I guess if the price is right it'll be better than stock, but I would plan sooner or later to get a full set.

EDIT: yay 5000 posts
Old 06-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
JKim0901
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (5)
JKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
i was running tein HEs in front and apex WS in back spring rates 8/5 for like a month, it wasnt that bad to be honest but havent tracked it with that set up and wouldnt want to just beacause im picky like that
JKim0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Location: VA.. And for those that keep PMing me asking what kit I have, it's Origin Stream.
upSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfectionupSLIDEdown is close to perfection
Yeah this is pretty much a street car. I'm running the AGX/Sportline combo right now. They've done what I expected them to do, I just want something a little nicer and mainly something I can go lower with. I wanna be able to sit the car right down on my new wheels/tires (18x8.5/9.5 with 225/245/40). I put an email in to Tein with the # off of the spring to verify the rate and I'm gonna call Apex'i and see if I can verify that rate as well. Thanks for the quick input, keep it coming!

Bryan
Old 06-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #5
asiangento
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (10)
asiangento is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i think the old n1s are 8/6.
asiangento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
drift into a curb
Post Whore!

drift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond repute
I think the apexi ones say like 8400 or 8600 on them. Should be 8kg/mm
Old 06-07-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
Chernobyl
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
Chernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond reputeChernobyl has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i dont see a huge problem with it. I've heard of people running coilovers in front with regular shock/spring combos in back before and they said it drove fine. Couldn't be any worse than that.
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

I contacted Apex'i and they said they should be 8k. Tein said according to the number I gave them (from the spring), they should be 6k. I think the rates will be fine. Anyone else out there ever run mismatched pairs front/rear like this? How did they act? I think any coilovers will be better than my AGX/Sportline combo, just want some input from people with experience with mismatched setups.

Thanks again guys, keep it coming!
Bryan
Old 06-07-2005, 10:28 PM   #9
JKim0901
Zilvia FREAK!

JKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfectionJKim0901 is close to perfection
those coilovers sound old, you should check if they are blown before you buy because if they are they will be worst than your agx sportline combo
JKim0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #10
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Yeah, they are a little older, but according to him, they're in good shape. No leaks or anything of that nature. How would I go about checking to see if they're blown??

Bryan
Old 06-09-2005, 10:33 AM   #11
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

BUMP for more input...

Also, how far down does the piston go on a typical rear coilover (like the HA). One of these has a very small dent in the housing all the way are the bottom. He said when he bought them they were like that and the guy told him the piston never traveled that far down. I'm just curious. He ran them for 3k miles and hasn't had any trouble, so I have no reason to think it will affect anything, just curious.

Bryan
Old 06-09-2005, 01:06 PM   #12
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
I personally think it wouldn't work out too well. While they may have the same springrates all around, dampening, adjustability, if its a monotube design, how they sit, etc all change the characteristics of the car itself.

its like wearing one Nike Shox, and one Goodyear shoe. Gets the job done for what its intended for, but the feel, and comfort don't work.
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #13
LoanShark
Zilvia Member

LoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond reputeLoanShark has a reputation beyond repute
will Apex'i even rebuild discontinued shocks? I had some Tanabes that I brought back with me from Japan and when they took a shit a while back, Tanabe said they wouldn't be able to rebuild them because they no longer carry the same oil seals and etc.
LoanShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:12 PM   #14
drift into a curb
Post Whore!

drift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond reputedrift into a curb has a reputation beyond repute
Probably will since the n1 pros are a more popular coilover. I would check with apexi.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
ghambino
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ghambino will become famous soon enoughghambino will become famous soon enoughghambino will become famous soon enoughghambino will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoanShark
will Apex'i even rebuild discontinued shocks? I had some Tanabes that I brought back with me from Japan and when they took a shit a while back, Tanabe said they wouldn't be able to rebuild them because they no longer carry the same oil seals and etc.
Try taking them to a sportbike shop that works on suspensions for ducatis and other race bikes. I was going to have my JIC Coilovers rebuilt by a bike shop but than found out my shocks were non rebuildable.
ghambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #16
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

I talked to Apex'i and they said according to the part number, they are some of the original N1s and that they can't rebuild them anymore. Tein quoted me $100/damper for rebuild and turn around time is 2-3 weeks. I guess as long as they aren't blown they'll be fine. Anyone know a relatively easy way I can check to see if they're blown???

Bryan
Old 06-09-2005, 09:43 PM   #17
ghambino
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
ghambino will become famous soon enoughghambino will become famous soon enoughghambino will become famous soon enoughghambino will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, take the top plate and spring off the shock and completely compress the shock. Take note on how fast the shock completely rebounds, if the rod does not come back up at all than they are dead.
ghambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #18
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Will I need spring compressors to do that like I had to have to put my sportlines on my AGXs? Sorry for my noobish question (I'm a coilover virgin )

By the way, both of these pairs of coilovers have helper springs on the bottom. Don't know anything about the first N1s but I didn't realize HA's had helpers. Also, the Tanabe's I've seen with helpers have the helper springs on top, and these are on the bottom...

Bryan
Old 06-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #19
jOeHaCk98
Zilvia Addict

jOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her selfjOeHaCk98 is making a name for him/her self
no

dfghjkl;'
fghjkl;'
jOeHaCk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:11 PM   #20
drift into a curb
Post Whore!

Are they the N1 pros? What part number do you have? I'm just hoping they better be able to rebuild mine.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:18 PM   #21
upSLIDEdown
Nissanaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown
I talked to Apex'i and they said according to the part number, they are some of the original N1s
That's all I know. According to the pic, they just say N1 Damper. I'm guessing this was before different types of N1s, but i dunno.

Any input on the helper springs being on the bottom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jOeHaCk98
no
I assume this is in response to if I need compressors to get the spring/top plate off. If so, what do I do, just back the perches off all the way?

Thanks again guys!
Bryan