Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-07-2005, 12:32 PM   #1
papershot
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
papershot is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to papershot Send a message via MSN to papershot
another "i spraypainted my car" thread

yep. krylon rox. excuse the crappy cellphone pictures. the car isn't done yet so no full car pictures. i hate wetsanding so its going really slow because i dont really work on it. the door, fender, hood, and roof are the only parts wetsanded and polished.

you can see my awesome nissan truck in this picture

roof definatly needs more buffing but it looks good enough for me.

i wanted the whole car black but i freaking suck at spraypainting black for some reason. this is what the roof was like

then after hours and hours and hours of wetsanding (picture was in progress of using rubbing compound)

so in maybe 6 months or a year (if the paint lasts that long) i'm gonna get prep the car again and have maaco spray it with single stage black, then i'll polish it. fun stuff.

total time = maybe two hours a day for a week.
total cost = maybe $60 + whatever the cost of rubbing compound + hand glaze was
papershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
Drunk Bastard
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
Drunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drunk Bastard
rattlecan-tastic!
Drunk Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:44 PM   #3
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
wheres the cream filling?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
HyperTek
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
HyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfectionHyperTek is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you painted the car red with kylon!?!? me gotta see more pics!!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
chlatboy
Zilvia FREAK!

chlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enoughchlatboy will become famous soon enough
He just proved how cheap us 240 owners are. Good job Maaco man!!

chlatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:04 AM   #6
SochBAT
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
SochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfectionSochBAT is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SochBAT
Can't beat the cheapness, and quality of Rattlecan!
SochBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #7
Gjohnson7
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
Gjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura aboutGjohnson7 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Wow, your cell phone takes crappy pictures.
Anyways, make sure you take some good pics of the finished product.

LSX Kouki Project, swap completed in Dec 09
Gjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 03:51 PM   #8
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

infinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond reputeinfinitexsound has a reputation beyond repute
im not cheap, im just smart enough to know that rattle can paint jobs are stupid....
Old 06-08-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
another yoru car STILL looks like ass reply
get a better camera and get a real paint job.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
crap man, how many cans did that take?
MAACO often has the $99.99 specials... even the worst maaco job is better than the auto-pitting and orange peel that's bound to be everywhere rattlecanning. ack.

edit: oh nm, I missed that bottom part....
Why did you feel the need to paint the car tho? It's hard to tell with low-res shots, but the factory paint seemed fine....?

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 PM   #11
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sochbat
Can't beat the cheapness, and quality of Rattlecan!
cheap? yes.

quality? hell fucking no

i fyou say rattlecan is quality, you have poor and low standards
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:30 PM   #12
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
nothing beats the quality vs price of a proper rattle can job
Old 06-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #13
papershot
Zilvia Junkie

papershot is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to papershot Send a message via MSN to papershot
show me the $99 maaco deal. all i ever see on their site is "a few hundred dollars" so if theyre offering deals like that i'd be getting my car painted black by the end of the week.

orange peel and stuff is all about how you spray it.
papershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #14
neilsan
Zilvia Junkie

neilsan is making his/her stupidity well-knownneilsan is making his/her stupidity well-knownneilsan is making his/her stupidity well-known
my moms new ford looks like it was sprayed at maaco. that shit is orangepeely beyond belief for a brand new car. jeeps too ive noticed look like shit. (edit, thats obvious. i was referring to their paintjobs )

I prepped/rattlecanned my front bumper and the only complaint i have is that the duplicolor is a shade lighter than the rest of the car. it came out damn good for the $20 i spent in primer/paint/using dads bondo and sandpaper.
neilsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
infinitexsound
Post Whore!

orange peel can be cured.......... as for painting with a rattle can say, in a uncontrolled enviornment hmmm dry dirty and what else stupid... i mean u can get away with a grill, small ass trim, but a whole complete car i think not....id pick maaco over rattle can any day, and a solid black single stage wetsand that shit and polish it......... done and done...
Old 06-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #16
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by papershot
show me the $99 maaco deal. all i ever see on their site is "a few hundred dollars" so if theyre offering deals like that i'd be getting my car painted black by the end of the week.
here's what I got with a quick google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=maaco...utf-8&oe=utf-8

it's really funny, every car forum out there it seems talks about maaco and the $99-$299 paint job. Tho I may be mistaken on the $99 deal, it seems like a lot of people say that they haven't done that deal in a year or 2, but Earl Scheib (sp?) still does, apprently that chain is even more notorious for crappy paint jobs than Maaco, heh.

So it seems if you have one of these Earl Scheib places near you, you can jump on that deal.

edit:
I just realized I should point out that MAACO and Earl both are chain franchises. That means that are certain minimum requirements that hte individual franchise owners much adhere to, in order to maintain rights to use the franchise name and all that goes with it. Much like you can complain that all macdonald's suck cuz some 16 year old gave you fries that were made with 2weeks old oil, u can't Totally blame Maaco as a whole for a shit paint job. It all depends on the skill level of the actual painter spraying your car.... HOWEVER... that being said, maaco locations are typically run not for quality of workmanship, but for speed of job. More jobs = more profit, lower quality materials and minimal prep means less time per job (and less quality).

Life is a gamble, but you get what you pay for, is all I'm trying to say.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:15 AM   #17
elevator
Zilvia Addict

elevator is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to work at Carmax. My job was buying cars from customers. When you rattlecan your car.....you throw the value of the car right out the freaking window. It is worth NOTHING now.
elevator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:47 AM   #18
CrazyIvan
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (8)
CrazyIvan will become famous soon enoughCrazyIvan will become famous soon enoughCrazyIvan will become famous soon enoughCrazyIvan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
s13 isnt worth shit anyways, s14's on the other hand...
CrazyIvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #19
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanthieme
Wow. I haven't seen a newb foolish enough to start a S13 vs S14 poo flinging war in quite a while.

Way to de-evolve Zilvia.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #20
superman0234
Zilvia Member

superman0234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to superman0234
glad: how the hell is the person you're selling to going to know that the car was rattlecan'd? All you have to do is say the paint is fucked or that maaco messed it up. That's a pretty ignorant statement to see the value goes to shit just because of a crappy paint job. Not to mention the fact that most 240 owners usually arn't looking to sell to the general public, who demand perfection, but instead to a smaller group who will generally sacrifice looks for power, or other upgrades that are actually useful. My front bumper is rattlecan'd, does it look perfect: no, does it work: hell yes. It's all about how important the appearance of the car is to the owner, if he likes it, who cares, he just saved a whole ton of money that he can now put towards more useful modifications.
superman0234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #21
elevator
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman0234
glad: how the hell is the person you're selling to going to know that the car was rattlecan'd? All you have to do is say the paint is fucked or that maaco messed it up. That's a pretty ignorant statement to see the value goes to shit just because of a crappy paint job. Not to mention the fact that most 240 owners usually arn't looking to sell to the general public, who demand perfection, but instead to a smaller group who will generally sacrifice looks for power, or other upgrades that are actually useful. My front bumper is rattlecan'd, does it look perfect: no, does it work: hell yes. It's all about how important the appearance of the car is to the owner, if he likes it, who cares, he just saved a whole ton of money that he can now put towards more useful modifications.
ANY paint will lower the value. Maaco for sure. Rattlecanning CAN be detected. I have yet to see a rattlecan job that is undetectable.
"That's a pretty ignorant statement to see the value goes to shit just because of a crappy paint job." THAT'S" a pretty STUPID statement! I was referring to Fair Market Value. That is the ACTUAL value according to the market. Sure you can always find someone who will pay more than a car is worth if you can convince them to WANT it.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #22
elevator
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanthieme
Dumbass! You looking for a pissing contest?