Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk > Engine Tech

Engine Tech Technical discussion related to all relevant engines such as KA, SR, RB, CA, 2JZ , L24/26/28, VG, VQ, and LSx series.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
BenArtM80
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (17)
BenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
s13 camshaft angle sensor issues

rebuilt s13 KA with turbo...car cranks but runs poorly. Got a code 11 and 21 (camshaft angle sensor and ignition respectively). I followed the FSM and checked all the wiring for correct voltages and continuity back to the ECU. Everything checked out which leads me to think the distributor and cam angle sensor are fine.

Car has BC stage 2 cams that I degree'd when I built the motor and set them up according to the corrected cam alignment card. I have an MSD box with blaster2 coil that was previously on the car with the same distributor setup and it worked fine. I checked each plug wire with the timing light and I'm getting spark to all cylinders. I pulled each injector plug and each cylinder stumbled appropriately, so I believe injectors are good. I've tried to cross out as many things as I can, but now I'm stumped as to what to check next. I might get another distributor just to check it out but from everything I've checked I don't think that's the issue.

On a side note, whenever I rotate the distributor, the fuel pump primes momentarily. I'm not sure if that should be happening or not....can anyone check that out and verify for me?

Last edited by BenArtM80; 10-13-2012 at 04:49 PM..
BenArtM80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
BenArtM80
Zilvia Member

BenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to allBenArtM80 is a name known to all
still haven't been able to track down any fixes. I also had a bad knock sensor that I took care of, but I'm still getting codes 11 and 21. I'm waiting on a new distributor to show up to see if that fixes anything. Does anyone have any other suggestions for troubleshooting a dizzy in addition to what's in the fsm?

Edit: just fyi, found that the fuel pump is supposed to come on when you spin the distributor. From the FSM, the ECU uses the 1 degree input signal from the cam angle sensor to indicate that the engine is running and send power to the fuel pump so that it is running while the engine is.....which makes sense, but it was throwing me for a loop before I read that.

Also, I think it's a bad distributor/cam angle sensor. The 180 degree signal (black wire) switches from 0-5v correctly, but the 1 degree signal (white wire) doesn't reach 5v. Additionally, when the engine is running at idle, the white wire is not showing 2.5v AC as it should per the FSM.

I have another dizzy on the way, so I'll update when that arrives.....in case anyone else is actually reading this

Last edited by BenArtM80; 10-13-2012 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: update
Old 10-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #3
BenArtM80
Zilvia Member

well, swapped out the distributer and same problems. The white wire (pins 22 & 30 on the ECU) is not showing the correct voltage. I have continuity for those wires between the distributor and the ECU, it has 12V and a good ground, but I'm still getting codes 11 and 21.

According to the S14 FSM, at engine idle, each of the signal wires should show approx 2.7 V AC. The black wire (1 degree signal) shows 2.5V AC which seems fine, but the white wire (180 degree signal) shows .5 V AC.

I'm at a loss at this point....any suggestions?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
BenArtM80
Zilvia Member

just an update....I soldered in a new connector for the distributor with no change.

Also, I checked the resistance between the signal wires and the mulitmeter is showing 190K Ohms. I wasn't expecting there to be any reading between those pins, so I'm wondering if that's a sign that I've got a shorted wire somewhere maybe