Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 06-29-2014, 03:05 PM   #661
ezza
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
ezza is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Someone asked earlier but i didnt see a response.

I have some work vs kf on the way from japan, i want to widen them via wheelflip, but im curious about cutting the weld;

Does it need to be welded up again after relipping, also i dont suppose anyone has pics of the cutting process, im just wondering if i should do it myself with a grinder or have them lathed.

thanks
ezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #662
white_is
Leaky Injector

white_is is an unknown quantity at this point
I would do whatever is easier for you. If I was close to a shop that was capable and done it before I would have taken them to them. But having to shipping both ways I decided to risk it. Saved me at least $150.

I did not have them rewelded, but I did upgrade to stronger hardware. Wheel Flip also mentioned drilling holes into the back of the spokes and using a bolt from the back side just in case but they mainly said that was recommended for VSKF. Blitz still had like 10 more bolts to hold them together.

If you cut them yourself, just cut more towards the lip since you won't be reusing it. You'll have to cut right along the weld but it's better to cut through the lip then the barrel.

I cut into one of my barrels, but had it welded and then ground down back smooth.

I've had them on like 2 weeks with no issues. It's my only car and I've put like 600 miles on it, with 100 of those being highway.
white_is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 08:07 AM   #663
stevenrapids
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (7)
stevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond reputestevenrapids has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by white_is View Post
I cut a pair of my Blitz 03 myself too with a cut off wheel on a grinder.

Then ordered lips from Wheel Flip which apparently was a huge mistake. 6 months later I still don't have lips. Been told multiple excuses when they respond or when I can actually get ahold of them.

Best part is, today they basically told me they have no idea where my lips are. Lol
Glad im not the only one who is not a fan of wheelflip. They give you the run around like they have some sort of idea what's going on, but they have no idea. I can't believe how long it took them to send me generic 40 bolt lips that i was gonna drill myself. Not a fan at all. if you don't call them 200 times a day you will never get your shit.
Old 07-01-2014, 11:47 AM   #664
ezza
Zilvia Junkie

ezza is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I would do whatever is easier for you. If I was close to a shop that was capable and done it before I would have taken them to them. But having to shipping both ways I decided to risk it. Saved me at least $150.

I did not have them rewelded, but I did upgrade to stronger hardware. Wheel Flip also mentioned drilling holes into the back of the spokes and using a bolt from the back side just in case but they mainly said that was recommended for VSKF. Blitz still had like 10 more bolts to hold them together.

If you cut them yourself, just cut more towards the lip since you won't be reusing it. You'll have to cut right along the weld but it's better to cut through the lip then the barrel.

I cut into one of my barrels, but had it welded and then ground down back smooth.

I've had them on like 2 weeks with no issues. It's my only car and I've put like 600 miles on it, with 100 of those being highway.

Thanks for the info, I'm guessing that if I drill the back of the spokes I just tap the holes and bolt them up?

Nice car by the way!
ezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #665
spk
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
spk is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Hey guys,

I have a question for you wheel rebuilding gurus - Aside from measuring, How does one find the size of the face bore outer bolt spacing and the diameter of the bolt hole for any wheel? Is there a holy grail database on wheel specs somewhere?

With all the wheels out there, I'm sure that each one requires a different bore size and bolt spacing etc. or are they the same? (center bore at least)

Example:
Will a 17" face Work Equip have the same center bore as a 17" Blitz 03 face?

Am I just over thinking this and that all 17" lips will fit on 17" faces (reverse lip) and you just have to figure out the bolt spacing/diameter?

Thanks!
spk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:58 AM   #666
Jalto
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (2)
Jalto is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:

damn! those turned out awesome.. i gotta re barrel mine still. been to lazy.
Jalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #667
revcyanide
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
revcyanide is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
anyone know where you can get old school wheel lips?
Looking at picking up a set of 15 in watanabe RS-8
they are 3 piece with the barrels welded togather. going to get the barrells cut apart but trying to find some lips for them, i emailed vrwheels but their email is always full and memoryfab, just curious if anyone knows of anywehre else other than wheelflip
revcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #668
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (1)
ComicArtist is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glad to see the discussion about cutting up KF's at the top of this page. I've been looking for a 19x10 +13 to match my other KF for two years, and got lucky enough to score a 19x8 +38 on Yahoo Japan a few months ago. The face and barrel are the exact same size, so I just need to get a 4.5" lip for it.

Here's the thing; Wheelflip and VR are both giving me the run around on emailing me back, so I'm considering cutting the weld myself. Doesn't look too hard, and if I cut more toward the lip, then I can just machine off any excess material on the barrel.

What you guys are saying about adding bolts kinda worries me though, the 19"s have a 45 hole lip, utilizing only 20 of those holes, since 25 of them are hidden by the face.

So you think adding bolts would be necessary, or is 20 enough?
ComicArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:43 AM   #669
tsi_guy619
Leaky Injector

tsi_guy619 is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^you get the face slotted for more holes...I got it done by vrwheels for $30/face...20 would be enough if you weld lip/barrel but if you want 3pc my opinion is to go slotted

tsi_guy619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #670
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

^still a little unsure what's going on here. Did you have studs installed on the backside of the faces?
Old 08-16-2014, 06:16 PM   #671
ill.
Zilvia Member

ill. is an unknown quantity at this point
No. He got the faces machined so there's clearance for an extra 10 bolts (2 per spoke), you install those bolts first, then put the face in, and bolt the rest up.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #672
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

Well this happened today.

Welded 3 piece wheels are a pain. Taking a cutting wheel to a 20 year old discontinued rare Japanese wheel is probably the scariest thing I've ever done, but I took my time measuring and cut the weld perfectly in the center to split the barrel and the lip. There's no damage to the barrel, which is what I wanted to re-use. The lip would take some machining to re-use, but nobody has any use for 2.5" 19" lips so it's just a wall ornament now anyway. Next up is to have the face chromed and order a 4.5" lip and new bolts, I really don't want to reuse the old ones.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:42 PM   #673
Vten

Vten is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComicArtist View Post
Well this happened today.

Wow how did you do that ? To separate the barrels I meant..
Did you chisseled the welds bit by bit using a flat screwdriver ?

I'm in the same situation with my blitz technospeed Z1. They came welded and I want to replace the existing 3" lip to 5" .
Vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:38 AM   #674
CanadianJoker

CanadianJoker is an unknown quantity at this point
Grab a grinder and a zipdisk and be careful, stay on the lip side of the weld and keep a steady hand.
Just a photo of a few lips my self and friends have cut off, most get tossed in a pile but some are salvageable.

CanadianJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #675
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

^ this. Just measured carefully to where the seam was under the weld, and then cut on the lip side of the weld. Lip could probably be salvaged, but I was more worried about keeping the barrel perfect.

Also I'm in the market for a 19x4.5" 45 hole reverse lip. Wheelflip, VR, and this other dude I've been talking to in Cali have been giving me the run around for weeks
Old 09-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #676
CanadianJoker

CanadianJoker is an unknown quantity at this point
OH... P.s.

FUCK WHEEL FLIP.

I can not state this enough. Alex is a joke, he has fucked up mine and close friends orders up so bad its not even comical any more.
Ask for 18x4.5 ssr lips and get one 4" and one 4.5" lip
Ask for 18x4 miester lips (stepped) and get the wrong damn bolt pattern, then when he sends up the right bolt pattern they are two different sizes!!
Not to mention the bullshit wait times. 2-3 months just to get the wrong lips?!

Go where you want for lips, but my experience says run the fuck away from wheelflip
CanadianJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #677
ComicArtist
Zilvia Member

That's basically everything I've heard also.

VR was doing good until they stopped emailing me back, idk what happened there but I haven't heard from them in weeks.

This other guy I've been texting in Cali says he can get me one, but sometimes it takes 2-3 days to get a text response and he always has to check with his supplier, look in his warehouse, check the bolt pattern for VSKF's, etc. It's getting old
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #678
GabeS14
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
these are online stores where you can order new lips/barrels.

in case any one is looking.

http://www.jdmdistro.com/shop/17-whe...hed-wheel-lip/

http://www.forgetechusa.com/
Old 09-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #679
silnv
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (39)
silnv is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Send a message via AIM to silnv
Does anyone have any good reviews on places to buy lips? I need some for a set of SSRs I am rebuilding, but I cannot get responses from anyone. I need 18x4 lips.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #680
nomiezvr4

nomiezvr4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not sure if its been mentioned, and me being a newb but I believe wheels america also does wheel width alternations.
nomiezvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #681
GabeS14
Post Whore!

GabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfectionGabeS14 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by silnv View Post
Does anyone have any good reviews on places to buy lips? I need some for a set of SSRs I am rebuilding, but I cannot get responses from anyone. I need 18x4 lips.
did you try the links I posted right before your own post?
Old 09-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #682
ddr_geo
Leaky Injector

ddr_geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Great Thread. But I am extremely surprised I only saw the mention of Steeb of 5 One only once in here by chris ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslowevoix View Post
I just got some one piece oz done into 18x12 -81 8.8" Lip and 18x11 -50 7.25" Lip

Steeb is located in So Cal, but anything can be shipped as we all know chris is from florida and had his wheels done by him

he also has done Armand's Blitz wheels

18x10 -15 6.5" Lip & 19x12.5 -15 7.5" Lip

and he did my buddies 1 piece regamasters. from 15x6.5 +45 square stepped up to 16x9.5 +25 square

^^ comparison of stock rega vs rebarreled rega

Steeb's IG & FB if anyone wants to contact him. man can work wonders
IG: http://instagram.com/steeb38
FB: https://www.facebook.com/5thWheelDesign
ddr_geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 03:43 PM   #683
GabeS14
Post Whore!

nice post!
Old 09-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #684
gumis

gumis is an unknown quantity at this point
Widening Wheels thread

Does anyone know a place around chicago who can widen my wheels?? Thanks

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk
gumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #685
GabeS14
Post Whore!

wheels done by wheelflip.com
Old 10-11-2014, 07:26 AM   #686
Rebelz

Rebelz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi there
Any idea on where to buy an inner and outer lips to rebarrel my volk gt-c to 3 pieces wheel.. Currently the front is 19x9.5 +22 and the rear is 19x10.5 +24. I wanna make it wider with more aggressive offset.*
Since i am from the Asia, and shipping my wheels to ur place might be a problem and is very expensive, can i just buy the barrels and i will mount the gtc face\center locally.*

Thanks.
Rebelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #687
PW180SX
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (32)
PW180SX is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
I did the same as white_is, and cut my barrels myself as there were no local shops with the capability to cut them, or they wanted to charge out the ass to hand-cut them. So I took my sweet time, cut directly in the center of the weld and it worked out great. Once they split, I ground down the rest of the weld and scuffed it smooth.

The lips - 17x5" made by wheelflip for the BRW03 face. They did a great job, but took quite awhile to make them, and I had to email them consistently for any type of update on them.

My cut barrel

Before and after

I did not reweld mine either, but replaced the hardware and just siliconed them. I didn't drive my car alot, but I've had no problems at all.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #688
red240
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
red240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the roughred240 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelz View Post
Hi there
Any idea on where to buy an inner and outer lips to rebarrel my volk gt-c to 3 pieces wheel.. Currently the front is 19x9.5 +22 and the rear is 19x10.5 +24. I wanna make it wider with more aggressive offset.*
Since i am from the Asia, and shipping my wheels to ur place might be a problem and is very expensive, can i just buy the barrels and i will mount the gtc face\center locally.*

Thanks.
I would like to know this also, I'd like to rework my GTC's
red240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #689
PoorMans180SX
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (16)
PoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfectionPoorMans180SX is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Send a message via AIM to PoorMans180SX
Has anyone rebarreled RPF1 faces? I thought I remembered seeing some a while ago, but I searched for a couple hours on google with no luck.

Friends don't let friends buy knock-offs.
PoorMans180SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #690
silviaks2nr
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (10)
silviaks2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMans180SX View Post
Has anyone rebarreled RPF1 faces? I thought I remembered seeing some a while ago, but I searched for a couple hours on google with no luck.

https://www.facebook.com/stanceiseve...type=1&theater
silviaks2nr is offline   Reply With Quote