Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-08-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
pnkazn1
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
pnkazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In what cases can the cops pop our hoods?

I was goin up to san luis obispo last weekend for mardis gras, and on the way up on 101 i got rolled by chp. To make a long story short wasn't speeding, and i was pulled over because of tint and my loudass JIC exhaust. He said i HAD to pop my hood. At first I said no, then he described how theres a difference between searching my car, and inspecting the engine for emissions violations. Does anyone have a definitive answer to when we have to pop our hoods and when we can refuse?

Thanks,
Jonathan
pnkazn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2005, 03:32 PM   #2
nismo2491
Zilvia FREAK!

nismo2491 is making a name for him/her selfnismo2491 is making a name for him/her self
IMO, and I know you asked for a definitive one, I think the exhaust would give him enough probable cause to search for emissions violations.
KEvin
Old 02-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
wootwoot
Post Whore!

wootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to allwootwoot is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to wootwoot
It isnt in my eyes since it could only be a muffler for all he knows which is a non emissions related device
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:50 PM   #4
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (23)
Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 23 reviews
its as simple as this

WHENEVER HE WANTS

if you wanna fight it, they'll still pop your hood, probably give you a HUGe hassle, impound your car or at least handcuff you and throw you in back
have someone search yoru car, make a whole ruckus out of it for you

or you can do the easy route, dont think twice and pop it. thisway you SEEM to have nothing to hide and cop feels better (wont be a dick about it) and u can usally get off w/ exhaust and maybe air filter ticket (if you ahve one)

thats it have a nice day

yeah legally they CANT but all taht goes out the window when you deal with cops and egos.
Dousan_PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:51 PM   #5
vegita319
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
vegita319 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to vegita319
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnkazn1
I was goin up to san luis obispo last weekend for mardis gras, and on the way up on 101 i got rolled by chp. To make a long story short wasn't speeding, and i was pulled over because of tint and my loudass JIC exhaust. He said i HAD to pop my hood. At first I said no, then he described how theres a difference between searching my car, and inspecting the engine for emissions violations. Does anyone have a definitive answer to when we have to pop our hoods and when we can refuse?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Did you get away with no fines? I lived in san luis for close to a year now and have been pulled over twice. They have never popped my hood for anything yet. Hope they dont' ever though. PLus, how would they know teh difference between modified or not. I mean, i've heard stories of cops writing tickets for having an intake.
vegita319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #6
rps13sh
Zilvia FREAK!

rps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nicerps13sh is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to rps13sh
i heard a rumor that CHP now have a handbook with pictures of popular illegal motor swaps and where to find the engine code. seems extreme but you never know.
rps13sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:36 PM   #7
chokudoriS13
Zilvia FREAK!

chokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her selfchokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to chokudoriS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rps13sh
i heard a rumor that CHP now have a handbook with pictures of popular illegal motor swaps and where to find the engine code. seems extreme but you never know.
Not a rumor... It exists... Used it to realize there was an SR in my friend's car in the San Fernando Valley. They actually a traffic officer in to bring the book.

Quote:
or you can do the easy route, dont think twice and pop it. thisway you SEEM to have nothing to hide and cop feels better (wont be a dick about it) and u can usally get off w/ exhaust and maybe air filter ticket (if you ahve one)
The problem with that is that the air filter is still an emissions violation and you'll still be referreed. The ref will not let you slide with an SR. Now, if you have a blacktop with a stock airbox, the cop may not even have a clue.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:43 PM   #8
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
gotta love having a legal turbo
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #9
MakotoS13
BANNED

MakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-knownMakotoS13 is making his/her stupidity well-known
Send a message via AIM to MakotoS13
i swear to God it sounds like you people are talking about nazi germany.
MakotoS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:51 PM   #10
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
legally they cannot. as posted by lindsay a long time ago on this very subject, from my facked up memory, exhaust emissions has nothing to do with engine modification
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:57 PM   #11
pnkazn1
Leaky Injector

pnkazn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
I didnt wanna get a ticket or my car towed or anything so i just popped my hood. The cop had this binder full of all these pictures of different engines, he throughly went through my entire engine bay, he asked me if the engine was stock since it was mounted longitudinally? he was a moron, but it took me about half an hour to talk him outta it. He told me he could fine me a minimum of $2500-$5000 He gave me a fat hassle over my egr or aiv hose that i capped off wiht a small breather filter ( the one that used to breathe off the intake box, since i have a kandn) After about half an hour of discussion and lecture he finally let me leave. I felt like i got stepped all over, even tho i didnt get a ticket...
pnkazn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
i got a ticket that says gross polluter. haha i'm fucked. i wish it was legal to kill cops if you feel they are hassling you
Old 02-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #13
Heartwork
BANNED

Heartwork is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaDriver
legally they cannot. as posted by lindsay a long time ago on this very subject, from my facked up memory, exhaust emissions has nothing to do with engine modification
maybe not emissions wise, BUT they ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS find a way around to stopping you and pop your hood.....in this case the Cop's probable cause could be "loud exhaust"...that is enough probable cause to stop and question you....I had been stopped and popped very recently, about 2 months ago and asked why he stopped me...basically he said:

Cop: "I dont need a decibel reading. If i feel that your car is 'unusually' loud in any way from outside and/or INSIDE i can stop you."

Me: "But it is my understanding that you need a decibel reader to gauge how loud my exhaust is, otherwise it can still be under the decibel limit right?"

Cop: "No, my judgement tells me whether you have an 'unusual' sound or not, theres no more needing to get the ole decibel reader out."

then he looked around my car and saw my exhaust and asked me to pop my hood. My exhaust was enough incentive to have my hood popped. Also this was my 3rd or 4th time getting pulled over for a "loud exhaust" and having my hood popped. I have one cop friend and a friends dad who is a Lt. or SGt. (i forget) and both confirmed that the cop who stopped me had every incentive to do so.

in the end the cop must have felt bored and gave me a fix it ticket
Heartwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #14
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
new law states that cops no longer need the ole decibel reader. its all by judgement now
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:39 PM   #15
BobbyBoy
Zilvia Junkie

BobbyBoy is making a name for him/her selfBobbyBoy is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to BobbyBoy
Keep in mind if you do get a ticket for your "filter" or "exhaust" they will usually put "NON-FIXABLE" which will land your candy ass in the State Referee's office. When that happens and you have a cool little SR20 motorswap, better have a nice KA sitting around somewhere to swap out....

When they ask you to pop your hood, just do it. If they ask you to search the interior of your vehicle you can then ask why.......they would have to have cause, or a search warrant....
Old 02-08-2005, 06:42 PM   #16
TwoFourO
Leaky Injector

TwoFourO is an unknown quantity at this point
I live in Bothell, WA. For anyone who doesn't know where that is(probobly everyone), its a suburb of Seattle. It's just under half an hour north of downtown Seattle and about 20 minutes south of Everett. I have been pulled over 20 times in the four years I've been driving my car. I have one ticket for having my license plate in my front window instead of on my bumper, and one for going ten over when I was late to school one day. Never, in 20 traffic stops, has an officer said anything about my exhaust. I have Apex'i N1 duals with a strait pipe on a KA. It is VERY, VERY, loud. It is so loud that it is amazingly annoying and a hate it. I don't know what the deal is with your police, but mine only like to harass me for bullshit things to check if i'm drunk or high then they let go. Ex: Pull me over for "dim rear license plate lights" then let me go after I present them with all of my information and treat them in a respectful manner. The Bothell Police have jack squat to do because our city is a joke when it comes to crime so they stereotype vehicles and harass the citizens. Recently, I was pulled over and cited for doing 50 in a 35. The lame part is that the police officer claimed that he 'paced' me, even though I wasn't speeding whatsoever. It's just another example of our corrupt policing in this country. I am contesting the ticket in March but I suspect I'll get F'ed in the A. Basically the point of my posting this is that there's really nothing you can do to prevent getting your ass raped by the cops. For the most part, they're all power-tripping bitches who have nothing better to do then harass innocent car enthusiasts. So rather than worrying about them pulling you over and such, just know that it's probobly going to happen sooner or later and do the best you can to treat the officer with respect even though you think he's a p.o.s.

Just my $.02
TwoFourO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 06:50 PM   #17
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

Dousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfectionDousan_PG is close to perfection
where im in socal (ive had exhaust tickets as well as many a friends)

you get exhuast; fine, no ref (FINES range from 80-200 dollars)
you get airfilter fine no ref
Old 02-08-2005, 07:13 PM   #18
chokudoriS13
Zilvia FREAK!

chokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her selfchokudoriS13 is making a name for him/her self
Send a message via AIM to chokudoriS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dousan_PG
where im in socal (ive had exhaust tickets as well as many a friends)

you get exhuast; fine, no ref (FINES range from 80-200 dollars)
you get airfilter fine no ref
You're getting lucky down there in OC... Exhaust is a fix-it (and you can get a dB reading at a CHP station), but air-filter will be ref 99% of the time. My friend got pulled over in his S13... Stock air-box. He didn't believe him and had him pop the box open. He saw a K&N drop-in (a regular flat filter), and sent him to the ref for that... A legal fucking filter!

While an exhaust doesn't have anything to do with emissions, it constitutes probable cause to search because now they suspect the engine is modified (and thus may have missing emissions equipment). Hell, A-pillar gauges in a stock car are probable cause.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:21 PM   #19
Twinkie
Zilvia Member

Twinkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Twinkie
fuck this thread makes me worry about the sr sitting in my bay. I have a pretty loud exhaust too. =(

anyone else get stopped and your SR checked out by the popo? what other things can the guy do to you?
Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:23 PM   #20
Dousan_PG
Post Whore!

not worry
its really not worth it
dont drive like a dumbass on the streets
and if you know an area that cops are at a lot, dont go there
ive had loud exhaust for over a year and 1/2, ive had it with SR for about 4 months
ive only been pulled over once and i drive on streets all over in various cities everyda
but i drive like an old lady

drive well you GREATLY decrease your changes
and honestly dont worry about it
dont feeed the fear
Old 02-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #21
Andrew Bohan
Post Whore!

Andrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfectionAndrew Bohan is close to perfection
my friend with redtop got pulled over for exhaust and intercooler on the 101 in marin county. the chp called 3 more chps to come over, and they had his hood popped and were takin pictures and everything. got a ticket, but no court date, and when he called to ask, they said it was not in the system. that's the last he ever heard of it.
Andrew Bohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 07:34 PM   #22
nightwalker
Nissanaholic!

nightwalker is an unknown quantity at this point
I've learned to keep everything to moderate levels now. It's too expensive and not worth it. My car is not as low anymore, no more big exhaust, and when I go SR, it'll be a black top, with factory airbox. (Being a smog tech helps too) I don't think you need 300+ hp to the wheels in a street car. Downpipe to an e-cutout, with lightweight flywheel and gt28 w/ S15 or arc side mount will probably be the extent of my planned mods.

My cousin has a completely stock S13 blacktop in his car and even seasoned mechanics don't look twice.

You can't mob around in your super low kitted, blingin' wheels, fat pipe exhaust ride in Nazi Germ, er Cali anymore.

Just leave that car for the track.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:05 PM   #23
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm driftaholic
my friend with redtop got pulled over for exhaust and intercooler on the 101 in marin county. the chp called 3 more chps to come over, and they had his hood popped and were takin pictures and everything. got a ticket, but no court date, and when he called to ask, they said it was not in the system. that's the last he ever heard of it.

same shit happened to me.. fuckers. then they sent me the court date with a 340 dollar fine.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:06 PM   #24
Var
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwalker
I've learned to keep everything to moderate levels now. It's too expensive and not worth it. My car is not as low anymore, no more big exhaust, and when I go SR, it'll be a black top, with factory airbox. (Being a smog tech helps too) I don't think you need 300+ hp to the wheels in a street car. Downpipe to an e-cutout, with lightweight flywheel and gt28 w/ S15 or arc side mount will probably be the extent of my planned mods.

My cousin has a completely stock S13 blacktop in his car and even seasoned mechanics don't look twice.

You can't mob around in your super low kitted, blingin' wheels, fat pipe exhaust ride in Nazi Germ, er Cali anymore.

Just leave that car for the track.

Absolutely. Time to get an EVO or a Z06 and leave the s13 in the garage for drift days.

editr throw an LS1 in the bitch. Street legal and powerful.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:17 PM   #25
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm driftaholic
An aftermarket intercooler is actually legal..and so is an oil catch can. It's in appendix K.. or something in the smog inspection manual.
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #26
Var
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog Tech
An aftermarket intercooler is actually legal..and so is an oil catch can. It's in appendix K.. or something in the smog inspection manual.

suspicious on a car that's not supposed to have a turbo.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #27
Ritz S14
Post Whore!

Ritz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud ofRitz S14 has much to be proud of
Find a "jdm" owners manual and throw it in your glove box.-> See officer..it's stock...
Ritz S14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #28
KoukiMonster
Zilvia Addict

KoukiMonster can only hope to improve
i wonder how henry copes with his DD?????
KoukiMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:49 PM   #29
jdmsilvia909
Zilvia Member

jdmsilvia909 is an unknown quantity at this point
man my story is stupid i was crossing over from mexico to the u.s. and the guy at the border asked me to pop my hood and also asked if the my s13 was my car? WTF....what the hell he sthinks i'm smuggling fucking mexicans in my engine bay...WTF?....anyways it only happend once. and i had was the stock filter, stock motor and headers and hks exhaust
jdmsilvia909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 08:58 PM   #30
TK
Zilvia Junkie

TK is an unknown quantity at this point
this very topic popped up between some friends of mine and one of my friends was recently pulled over by a cop. the cop asked him to pop the hood, but my friend not wanting to get out of the car asked the cop to just open it. of course the cop kept insisting that HE pop it open. i tihnk he spoke to a friend of his that is a cop and i think there is something in the precedure where the driver has to willingly pop the hood open and a cop cannot do it on his own..not sure if thats true or not, i'll have to talk to a friend of mine thats a cop
TK is offline   Reply With Quote