Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #181
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84
Hmm, that doesn't sound too bad. I don't think I've seen the locking plates yet so I'll have to keep an eye out. I did see a plate facing the firewall where the turbo and exhaust manifold meet, that's probably it I suppose.

Maybe I will be able to get that exhaust installed after all.
They look like this

you should have a pair on the turbo, basically they lay flat over the studs on the turbo side, and then you put the nuts on and bolt the turbo down, the tabs on the plates can be pushed up flush against the nut so it doesn't move, otherwise the nuts tend to back themselves off from vibration
Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #182
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
They look like this

you should have a pair on the turbo, basically they lay flat over the studs on the turbo side, and then you put the nuts on and bolt the turbo down, the tabs on the plates can be pushed up flush against the nut so it doesn't move, otherwise the nuts tend to back themselves off from vibration

Ahh, that makes sense. I wonder if that's why they're loose, could have been. Should be easy to fix with the turbo off. This car better run like a champ when I'm done with it, haha.

I decided earlier this may be an opportune time to install my power steering hoses as well. I'll have the entire turbo and exhaust mani out of the way so it should be a breeze to work near the steering rack.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #183
trybal
Zilvia Junkie

trybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to trybal
damn.. i wish i had that kinda money to do things right. I did my entire swap for 1900 bucks including walbro and full exhaust, but it was so half assed, even though it ran!! props on taking your time, the only way to do it imo!!!!
trybal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 03:55 PM   #184
DUBCITY
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (9)
DUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud ofDUBCITY has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
wow.

very impressive considering youre doing this in a storage container or lot.

i need to get me one, apartments suck.
do they care that you work on your car at the storage facility?
how much is it per month?
what are the dimensions of the unit?

edit --- im an idiot. got my qs answered on PG 1. need to start reading from the beginning and not the end.

Keep your eyes peeled for Project DUBCITY!
DUBCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:03 PM   #185
trybal
Zilvia Junkie

trybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymoretrybal is not welcome here anymore
Send a message via AIM to trybal
haha ^^ all questions already answered in this thread buddy.. its a 10x20 and its 100 per month!! read on garth
trybal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #186
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Work Day 17 [Back to index]

I forgot my camera again today because I'm a dolt, but luckily (for your sake I suppose) there wasn't much to take pictures of. As I was saying earlier today, I had to take the turbo and exhaust mani off because the turbo was moving slightly.

It took me a while to get the rear water banjo bolt off, it's a bitch to get to. Once I finally got it off I started tightening all of the bolts down where the turbo was moving. They were all loose, not one of them was tight like it should be.

The locking plates were in place correctly so he must have not tightened them down to begin with Regardless, they are tight now. (Thanks for the tips statik)

I then attached my new Greddy turbo elbow to the turbo. I want to warn everyone about this turbo elbow though. While it is a superb part, it has one problem. They don't give you enough room to put one of the bolts through it's hole. I actually had to hammer it into place because it was at an angle and couldn't go through the hole straight. That's not something you typically want to do to brand new car parts...

Tomorrow I will be getting there early in the morning. I want to make serious progress tomorrow. I have been slacking each weekend and not getting there until like 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I still have to figure out how to cut a hole in my battery tray, which I may need to do tomorrow. I might have to go buy a nice cordless drill or something, we'll see. I also still need to get the BOV flange rewelded. I may try to do that this weekend if I can find someone. I'm running low on cash though so it may have to wait until next weekend.

Also, I am going to be retroactively creating a table of contents on my first post of this thread that links to each days work. Maybe it will help some people out.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:55 PM   #187
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
i just got the greddy elbow. i had same problem, im going to use a 8x1.25mm allen head bolt for the top right bolt hole because i found that the hardest one to do anything on
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #188
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
glad to hear you get the turbo taken care of and the locking plates are there. I remember the greddy extension being a whore to put on, but its worth the effort, I installed it on the car too. now just NEVER take it off again and always pull the turbo with the extension =]

finish that shit up this weekend
Old 04-07-2007, 12:37 AM   #189
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
glad to hear you get the turbo taken care of and the locking plates are there. I remember the greddy extension being a whore to put on, but its worth the effort, I installed it on the car too. now just NEVER take it off again and always pull the turbo with the extension =]

finish that shit up this weekend
I'm gonna try my best. I'm worried about the small leak in the hot pipe though. I should be able to get it started at least (I hope).

As soon as I get the power steering, oil pan, exhaust, and turbo hooked up it should be smooth sailing. Although that is a lot of heavy duty stuff to be hooking up. Two days to do all of that should be plenty though.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 AM   #190
JDMClifford
Zilvia Junkie

JDMClifford is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm_motortrends
Looking good. This is my baby. Almost done.

dude did you paint your shit silve instead of cleaning it? your freze plugs are silver.... hmmm.... i guess thats the easy way out.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #191
Cybernetik

Cybernetik is an unknown quantity at this point
Good work James! I call dibs on first ride. Maybe you fixed the gas smell when you replaced the fuel pump.
Cybernetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:45 AM   #192
silviaz
Zilvia Junkie

silviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-knownsilviaz is making his/her stupidity well-known
wow everything seems to be at the right place
good job, keep it up !
Old 04-07-2007, 10:07 AM   #193
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybernetik
Good work James! I call dibs on first ride. Maybe you fixed the gas smell when you replaced the fuel pump.
haha, what's goin' on Justin. I think I fixed it, the gasket had a huge gap in it so I filled in the gap with some liquid gasket. It should be completely sealed now.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #194
derek_s13
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (9)
derek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant futurederek_s13 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to derek_s13
keep the updates comin'
derek_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #195
Jason240sx
Zilvia Member

Jason240sx is on the path to ruinJason240sx is on the path to ruin
man i always come back to this thread he he he , more updates man

jrmiller84: a couple of questions man , where did you get a power port for the storage? and did you do all the work yourself , pulling out the engine and putting it in and aligning the driveshaft etc or u need friends to give ya a hand?
Jason240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #196
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Work Day 18 [Back to index]

Today I got out there early like I said and got started. I the oil pan first. Note to everyone who tries this... do it while the engine is out of the car. The last three bolts are hidden by the engine cross member. I had to hoist the engine up about three or four inches to get to them and it was still a pain in the ass.

Once I finally got it out I noticed something... the two oil pans are very different in size and shape. Plus that was on the SR has some kind of device that mounts to the bottom and sits inside of the oil in the pan. Here's a picture of it, anyone know what it is??? I've never seen it on anyone else's car.

Here you can see the size and shape difference between the two. The one that was in there looks fine though so maybe I'll just use it.

I also hooked up the exhaust system today from the test pipe back. I was going to connect the down-pipe but I'm going to wait since I don't have the turbo in yet.

I also hooked up the power steering system. I may have to fix one part, I think I may have the lines crossed near the axle. I've got to check out the FSM.

Here are some pictures I took today as an added bonus for you guys

Anyone know what this thing is? It was mounted near the wiper motor when I had the KAE in. I don't believe it's needed but still.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:34 PM   #197
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
could it be the IACV?
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #198
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

I'm not sure, I'm trying to find a KA24E FSM so I can determine what it is.

Oh, and amplifi3d, thanks for the negative rep.

"One word bling? More like gay downpipe and shitty elbow."

Real big of you... Next time post it in the forum so everyone else can see
Old 04-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #199
georgesal
BANNED

georgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to behold
Once I finally got it out I noticed something... the two oil pans are very different in size and shape. Plus the one that is on there has some kind of device that mounts to the bottom and sits inside of the oil in the pan. Here's a picture of it, anyone know what it is??? I've never seen it before.

Here you can see the size and shape difference between the two. The one that was in there looks fine though so maybe I'll just use it.

Im not quite sure about the thing coming out for you oil pump it looks like another type of pump, same for the pan it loos like the same size fomr the pics but the internals are different. the new one you got is pretty much the stock one the right onw for every sr iv'e worked one . that might be like some type of dry sump set up or something along those lines
georgesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:43 PM   #200
georgesal
BANNED

georgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to beholdgeorgesal is a splendid one to behold
one more thing do you think you can take a pic of what it looks like on the inside of the motor, like fomr the bottom
georgesal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #201
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesal
one more thing do you think you can take a pic of what it looks like on the inside of the motor, like fomr the bottom
I guess so? I mean, all you'll see is the oil pan and cross member?
Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 PM   #202
djp.
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

djp. can only hope to improve
very nice build
djp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #203
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason240sx
man i always come back to this thread he he he , more updates man

jrmiller84: a couple of questions man , where did you get a power port for the storage? and did you do all the work yourself , pulling out the engine and putting it in and aligning the driveshaft etc or u need friends to give ya a hand?

My unit doesn't have power. Get one that at least has a light socket so you can plug one of those light socket adapters into it and get electricity. It will make your life a lot easier.

I have done all the work myself, I have had no help whatsoever. The only person who has even seen the unit is my fiance (and you guys through pictures) and I'll be damned it she's gonna help me.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:46 PM   #204
ctm_motortrends
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
ctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfectionctm_motortrends is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Man car is looking better and better everyday. Keep up the good work can't wait to see it done.
ctm_motortrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:54 AM   #205
420sx
Post Whore!

420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future420sx has a brilliant future
wow super clean bay and motor
Old 04-08-2007, 10:36 AM   #206
sepulchral
BANNED

sepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymoresepulchral is not welcome here anymore
that oil pan is really weird... i think you do have a different form of oil pump system.. did the bottom of the engine still have the factory oil pickup (with the little mesh screen) and everything? your upper oil pan is completely different as well because those two oil pans have different bolt patterns. Pics Pics Pics
sepulchral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #207
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepulchral
that oil pan is really weird... i think you do have a different form of oil pump system.. did the bottom of the engine still have the factory oil pickup (with the little mesh screen) and everything? your upper oil pan is completely different as well because those two oil pans have different bolt patterns. Pics Pics Pics

The motor does have the oil pickup on it. I don't think it's an oil pump because the device is not connected to anything within the motor. It just sits in the bottom of the oil pan. The FSM for the S14 blactop doesn't show this device in the oil pan so I'm kinda lost.

All of the pictures I see for SR oil pans look like the one they sent me so I don't know why the motors oil pan is different.

I'm about to head out there, perhaps I will post pics via my phone so we can all determine a verdict.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #208
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

that thing you found near the wiper motor looks like the pump for the windshield wiper fluid. Your oil pan doesn't look like a stock SR oil pan, the new one you got does, which seems strange. Can you take a pick up the upper oil pan (bolted to the block) specifically where you would mount up the lower pan. The weird thing that bolts inside the oil pan could be some oldschool jdm tyte oil temp sensor or something, shrug
Old 04-08-2007, 11:48 AM   #209
slow240sx

slow240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
I see you replaced the stock vacuume line to the brake master cylinder make shure that line is high quality or it will colapse under the vacuume, ive seen this first hand on a friends car.
slow240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 05:31 PM   #210
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
that thing you found near the wiper motor looks like the pump for the windshield wiper fluid. Your oil pan doesn't look like a stock SR oil pan, the new one you got does, which seems strange. Can you take a pick up the upper oil pan (bolted to the block) specifically where you would mount up the lower pan. The weird thing that bolts inside the oil pan could be some oldschool jdm tyte oil temp sensor or something, shrug
I'll try to take a pic of it tomorrow on my lunch break. I'm gonna send the pictures to Enjuku tomorrow and maybe they can give me an answer as well. I'm stumped as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow240sx
I see you replaced the stock vacuume line to the brake master cylinder make shure that line is high quality or it will colapse under the vacuume, ive seen this first hand on a friends car.
That's not staying. I put it there thinking I could use it and then decided it was probably a really bad idea. A new tube will be going on there soon.