Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-08-2007, 05:53 PM   #211
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
Work Day 19 [Back to index]

Today I spent a lot of time hooking the turbo back up. I had some trouble getting the banjo bolts back in. The steel oil and water supply lines didn't want to line up with the holes on the block. After much frustration I finally got them in there and lined up correctly. I was going to hook the turbo elbow up to the new downpipe but I am going to have to hoist the engine up slightly again to get the oil pan on and I didn't want too much weight hanging on the turbo.

After that I started to run some of the vacuum lines to the various devices that need them. I ran one hose across the front to where the BOV will be, another one to the FPR which also split to the boost gauge and boost controller, and also hooked up the vacuum lines between the wastegate and the boost controller solenoid.

Then I ran the vacuum lines up into the engine bay. Ran one into the headliner where the boost controller will be mounted and one to where the boost gauge is. Tonight I've got to extend some of the wires to the gauges because they're just way too short to make it to the accessory wires under the dash. I've also got to extend the power wire for the dual fan thermostat kit. Took these today as well.

I started hooking up some of the lower wiring harness but then stopped because I don't want those wires to get stretched when I hoist the engine back up again. I also had a hard time determining which ones went to which sensors. Guess I'm kinda waiting on a verdict about that oil pan for quite a bit now.

I guess next weekend will be the big weekend, sadly. That's alright though, I don't want to rush anything.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 PM   #212
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
Wow, I saw this when you first started, and hadn't checked it in a while. I'm glad Statik was here, his posts were right on with what I would have said. I actually made a pin-to-pin diagram for the SR harness (which pin on the ECU plug goes through which wire to which sensor/plug), I should have posted it up for you.

The oil pan thing has me stumped. I've NEVER seen a totally square oil pan, or the weird pump-lookin thing that you've got in there.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 PM   #213
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan
Wow, I saw this when you first started, and hadn't checked it in a while. I'm glad Statik was here, his posts were right on with what I would have said. I actually made a pin-to-pin diagram for the SR harness (which pin on the ECU plug goes through which wire to which sensor/plug), I should have posted it up for you.

The oil pan thing has me stumped. I've NEVER seen a totally square oil pan, or the weird pump-lookin thing that you've got in there.
Yeah, I sent Ray at Enjuku some pictures of it and they're stumped as well. He said that I might have an S15 upper and lower oil pan that may have come with an oil level sensor. The world may never know.

I guess I'll just be putting it back in there in case it's needed somehow. The old oil pan looks fine (no dents) so it should be Ok to use.

Perhaps I'll get a new upper and lower oil pan someday if there's really any benefit.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:33 AM   #214
ni5mo240
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (11)
ni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura aboutni5mo240 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...0/DSCN0355.jpg

that is from your cruise cont, you don't need it if you don't want cruise cont.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:42 AM   #215
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni5mo240
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...0/DSCN0355.jpg

that is from your cruise cont, you don't need it if you don't want cruise cont.
Awesome, something else I can trash. Never used it.

Planned on getting a quick release anyways since the complex I'm in is kinda shady.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:47 AM   #216
s13gold
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (79)
s13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfections13gold is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 79 reviews
^^^dont forget a KILL switch.
s13gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #217
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13gold
^^^dont forget a KILL switch.
Yeah, I'm bringing the whole gamut of security features.

Quick release, kill switch, and a two way alarm.

I'm also going to be looking to up my insurance some. Hopefully a company that will insure me for all of the mods if I'm lucky.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:01 AM   #218
Howard92884
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (1)
Howard92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond reputeHoward92884 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Howard92884
Very nice and clean build up! I can't wait till I leave this shit hole so I can start on my project. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!
Howard92884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 AM   #219
93 240 s13
Leaky Injector

93 240 s13 is an unknown quantity at this point
i just read from start to finish, very time comsuming

amazing work my friend... inspires me to want to buy alota things for
my SR haha what do you have in mind for suspension? cant wait to see what happens this weekend im sure she will purrrr on the first start up....
93 240 s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:06 AM   #220
racerx1222
Leaky Injector

racerx1222 is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats and good work especially considering you've never done anything at this caliber before. Goes to show how research can help you out a lot and people on Zilvia that are willing to give a helping hand.
racerx1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 AM   #221
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84
Yeah, I sent Ray at Enjuku some pictures of it and they're stumped as well. He said that I might have an S15 upper and lower oil pan that may have come with an oil level sensor. ... I guess I'll just be putting it back in there in case it's needed somehow. The old oil pan looks fine (no dents) so it should be Ok to use.

Perhaps I'll get a new upper and lower oil pan someday if there's really any benefit.
That sounds possible heh, as for replacing the upper/lower, I wouldnt bother thinking about it until you have the motor out again, or i would just get a new lower S15 pan (assuming it looks the same and enjuku is correct) if the stupid sensor bothers you. Anyway, just make sure to RTV that sensor in there, wouldn't want any leaks from it.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:10 AM   #222
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
That sounds possible heh, as for replacing the upper/lower, I wouldnt bother thinking about it until you have the motor out again, or i would just get a new lower S15 pan (assuming it looks the same and enjuku is correct) if the stupid sensor bothers you. Anyway, just make sure to RTV that sensor in there, wouldn't want any leaks from it.
Agreeded, I thought about welding a plate over the hole where the sensor goes when I go to get my hotpipe fixed on Friday But I don't want to mess that pan up in the odd case I actually need that sensor or if I somehow break the pan and can't find a replacement.

I've been trying to find pictures of the S15 oil pan but I can't seem to find one anywhere.
Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #223
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Agreeded, I thought about welding a plate over the hole where the sensor goes when I go to get my hotpipe fixed on Friday But I don't want to mess that pan up in the odd case I actually need that sensor or if I somehow break the pan and can't find a replacement.

I've been trying to find pictures of the S15 oil pan but I can't seem to find one anywhere.
Actually, that can't be correct

http://www.optionimports.com/grbigoilpanu.html

Same oil pan is sold for all RWD SR20's

EDIT:
maybe greddy is wrong:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...Category_Code=

Genuine Nissan factory replacement
# Application SR20DET Redtop/Blacktop S13
# SR20DET VVT S14
Old 04-10-2007, 08:30 AM   #224
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Actually, that can't be correct

http://www.optionimports.com/grbigoilpanu.html

Same oil pan is sold for all RWD SR20's
Yeah, that's what I was coming up with across the board.

I can probably find a used upper oil pan to fix the issue if something ever happens. Watch my block not be the same then, haha
Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 AM   #225
89dc240
Zilvia Junkie

89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough89dc240 will become famous soon enough
Yikes, just did a start to finish on this thread. much less time til the end of work. Great job man. THe insurance you want is called Stated Value Insurance. You will likely have to take pics and show reciepts and maybe even have an adjuster come look at it to determine the insured amount. Good luck with everything
89dc240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #226
Farzam
Post Whore!

Farzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfectionFarzam is close to perfection
I'm still watching and amazed with how well you did this.

I'm glad you didn't go to a shop.

And i'm glad you're premie.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:07 AM   #227
Mr. H
Leaky Injector

Mr. H is a well-known jackass
First off, build looks great congrats and good luck on finishing up. Have a couple of questions though. I was looking at your price build up and was wondering what was in the first parts purchase. I was reading through Heavythrottle's what parts are needed and all that was listed was
SR20DET Swap
• SR20DET
• HKS Exhaust
• Front Mount Intercooler
• Intercooler Piping
• Koyo Radiator
• BOV
• Electric Fan
• Clutch
• 3” Down Pipe
• Intake Filter Kit w/ MAF Adapter

Recommended
• High Flow Fuel Pump
• Boost Gauge
• Oil Pressure Gauge
• High Flow Catalytic Converter

was that all that you got or did you buy additional parts? Also how different is the S14 install is it pretty much the same, I have a 1995 and hope to be putting a S14 SR20 in it.

Mr. H
P.S. sorry for the long post
Mr. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:01 AM   #228
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. H
First off, build looks great congrats and good luck on finishing up. Have a couple of questions though. I was looking at your price build up and was wondering what was in the first parts purchase. I was reading through Heavythrottle's what parts are needed and all that was listed was
SR20DET Swap
• SR20DET
• HKS Exhaust
• Front Mount Intercooler
• Intercooler Piping
• Koyo Radiator
• BOV
• Electric Fan
• Clutch
• 3” Down Pipe
• Intake Filter Kit w/ MAF Adapter

Recommended
• High Flow Fuel Pump
• Boost Gauge
• Oil Pressure Gauge
• High Flow Catalytic Converter

was that all that you got or did you buy additional parts? Also how different is the S14 install is it pretty much the same, I have a 1995 and hope to be putting a S14 SR20 in it.

Mr. H
P.S. sorry for the long post

They have a good skeleton for a project but you're going to need more than just that. While those are the main parts of the swap, there's a lot more you're going to want to buy for a decent build. That is unless you want a completely stock build, which will still require quite a few parts. Not to mention the money you're going to spend in supplies and possibly tools, it's not cheap.

Also, the "recommended" parts are things you'll pretty much want to get except for maybe the cat. You can skip the oil pressure gauge, but I wouldn't recommend it.

First Parts Purchase Order
Hybrid Intercooler Kit
HKS SSQV BOV - New Design
AIV Plug
SR20DET Belt Set
CUSCO Motor Mounts
NGK Iridium Spark Plugs
Wix High Quality Oil Filter
SR-1 Synthetic Motor Oil
OEM S13 DOHC Power Steering Line Kit
Visteon Aluminum Radiator w/ Dual Fans
Samco SR20DET Silicon Radiator Hoses
SPEC Stage 2 Clutch Kit
OEM SR20DET Oil Pan
Walbro GSS341 255 LPH Hi-pressure Fuel Pump
Greddy Profec-B II Electronic Boost Controller
Autometer Dual 2" Gauge Pod
S13 SR20DET Air Intake Pipe, MAF Adapter, & Cone filter
Megan Racing 52mm Boost Gauge
Megan Racing 52mm Oil Pressure Gauge
SPEC Billet Steel Flywheel
Wix Fuel Filter
Heater Hoses

As for everything else, I'm not going to do the research for you. I have never owned an S14 so I have no idea. I would guess it's about the same but you've gotta search. These swaps are very popular, information is extremely abundant. In fact, start here. It will answer a lot of your questions. You won't survive long on Zilvia without doing your research first.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #229
Casse

Casse is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Casse
Very nice write up on how your build is going, I now know how I am going to prep my engine bay before I put my KA in thanks alot.
Casse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #230
Mr. H
Leaky Injector

Mr. H is a well-known jackass
thanks I have been doing lots of searching, both here on zilvia and other sites, I've found lots of stuff on the swap however mostly for the S13 SR going into an S13. My question about the S14 was more directed at those reading this thread who may have done it, not that I don't appreciate your input
Mr. H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #231
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Update

Weekdays I don't get much done to the car. Usually the only day I get to work on the car is Wednesday since I don't have class. I can sometimes squeeze in 20 minutes during my lunch break, as is the story today.

Went out there today and finished relocating my battery. I already had the positive wire run from the engine bay to the trunk. I lifted up the carpet and took the fiberboard out to look for a suitable ground. I found a nice sturdy bolt on the passenger side about a foot from where the fuel pump sits in the tank. I made sure that the bolt didn't in fact go into the fuel tank or attach to it in any way.

Once I was sure of that I attached the negative battery cable to it and tightened it down really good. My good friend Justin suggested that I cover the connection to the chassis with silicone to prevent corrosion as well as the possibility of the bolt pulling itself out or touching something in the trunk. With that in mind, I covered the entire bolt as well as a good inch of the cable to make sure that it wasn't going anywhere. After that it was solid as hell, not going anywhere.

I then felt compelled to test the connection and see what would happen. So I hooked the battery up and jumped in the driver seat and turned it to accessory. Low and behold, all of the lights came on, a cd popped out of the cd player (haha), and my windshield wipers started going nuts. I turned all of them off (they just got turned on during the mayhem of the swap) and electrically everything seems to be working as it should. I even heard the Walbro fuel pump turn on for a second which made me feel good.

It was nice to see her come alive like that today.

Just to give everyone an idea how much I have left to do, here is a list of my remaining tasks. I will be shooting to get all of these done this weekend.
  • Connect wiring harness to new ECU
  • Connect remaining wiring plugs including lower engine harness plugs
  • Install motor grounds
  • Finish wiring new gauges up inside of car
  • Install Boost controller bezel and wiring
  • Install downpipe
  • Buy/install new bolts for radiator
  • Install radiator fan controller
  • Install and bleed new slave cylinder
  • Install BOV onto hotpipe
  • Install spark plugs
  • Tighten motor mounts
  • Fix Welds and add nipple to cold pipe
  • Cut holes for intercooler piping
  • Install MAF and intercooler piping
  • Reinstall oil pan
  • Install new fuel line
  • Install oil filter
  • Fill oil and radiator
  • Fill gear oil with another 500 mL
  • Set Timing
  • Drive

Some of them are little five minute things so it won't take me too long. I'll be taking care of some of them tonight. I have my camera today so pictures will ensue later.

Last weekend the biggest problem I had with getting these done was organization. I was just staring at a bunch of parts on the ground and a half assembled car and couldn't determine where to start. This weekend I have a game plan and most importantly, more money.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #232
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Work Day 20 [Back to index]

I got to the car at about 5:30 today which gave me about two hours of sunlight. Within that time I was able to reinstall the oil pan. First thing I did was make sure I had all of the old liquid gasket off of the oil pan, or at least as much as I could get off with a paint scraper. I also made sure to get it off of the upper oil pan as well. Then I used a towel to get all of the old oil out of there. Luckily there were no metal shavings Once done, I jacked up the motor about 2-3 inches so I could get my hand behind the engine crossmember to screw in the three bolts that hide back there. Once I had the pan back on, I reinstalled that device that was sitting in the oil from before. I applied liquid gasket to it and bolted it back in there. Here's the oil pan after I cleaned it up.

Then I started working on the exhaust. I got the downpipe connected to the test pipe and then started to connect it to the turbo outlet. Sadly I have to connect them the other way around. I need to connect it to the turbo outlet and then the test pipe. It didn't want to line up right and the cars frame runners were in the way of lining it up correctly. It shouldn't take me but a few minutes on Saturday so no big deal.

The last thing I did was connect the new slave cylinder up to the transmission. Now this is the first time I've ever replaced a slave cylinder and it seems pretty straight forward, but is the pin supposed to be at such an angle? Here's a picture of it.

I suppose it is since the old slave cylinder was the same size, just want to make sure I didn't do anything wrong. Technically it should pivot just fine inside of the bowl on the slave cylinder so perhaps it is correct. After that I was out of sunlight so I had to head home.

Took this picture as well today. Didn't realize they made Acrobat Reader for PocketPC's So I put the FSM on there today

For when you REALLY need those torque spec's

I will definately be finishing this weekend. I'm really close to being done finally.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:50 PM   #233
Ronald_Mcdonald
Zilvia Member

Ronald_Mcdonald is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Ronald_Mcdonald
This build is awesome, and inspires me to actually get un-lazy on my build.

You are doing amazing work, keep it up.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:55 PM   #234
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

that slave doesn't look like its sitting right at all, kinda blurry but

Where did you get the new slave from?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:02 PM   #235
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah, I don't know how I feel about it. I got it from Discount Auto Parts. I will probably just hit up Auto Zone on Saturday. I need to set them side by side and see what the difference is.

There doesn't happen to be some kind of mounting plate is there? I'm curious if the KA24E slave cylinders just don't line up or something. I put the old one on the tranny to see how it looked and it too was not lined up correctly.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #236
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

nope just bolts right up, what was wrong with the sr slave?
Old 04-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #237
chawaiian

chawaiian is an unknown quantity at this point
damn dats a sweet job...
chawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #238
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
nope just bolts right up, what was wrong with the sr slave?
Didn't come with one.

Perhaps I should check out the compatibility list in the FAQ and see what should be used.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #239
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Didn't come with one.

Perhaps I should check out the compatibility list in the FAQ and see what should be used.
ka24de slave will bolt right up
Old 04-11-2007, 08:15 PM   #240
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
ka24de slave will bolt right up
That's what I figured. I'll just buy one of those then. I'm gonna have one hell of an Autozone purchase, haha. It'll be damn worth it though.