Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #271
silvarshooter

Trader Rating: (4)
silvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nicesilvarshooter is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You might want to get a genuine nissan slave. When I had my s14 w/s14 sr I went through two Auto Zone brand SC's in about 3 months! One of them only lasted a month. Picked up a OEM one and never had a problem with it. BTW nice build.
silvarshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2007, 10:00 PM   #272
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
Work Day 22 [Back to index]

I got a lot done today. The lower engine wiring harness gave me some trouble. In all of the research I have done online says to use the KA lower wiring harness. For some reason, none of the SR transmission sensors mated with the KA wiring harness. Luckily they gave me the lower engine harness from the SR. I'm just worried that the wires don't mate accurately. I guess we'll find out

Here you can see the difference in the connectors. The harness on top is of the KA lower harness, notice how large the connections are on left of the harness (the tranny connections) compared to the SR wiring harness below it (tranny connections also on the left).

Since I thought I was going to be able to use the KA lower wiring harness, I left it in the car. With that in mind I had to remove it and install the SR harness. Once I got the SR harness in I had a hard time finding where some of the connections plug up to. There are four in particular that I don't have wires to mate with.

The large gray connection and the brown one are both from the KA fuse box area. I'm not sure what they plugged into. The bare wire and the round connector(kind of hard to see) are from the SR lower wiring harness. I'm guessing they are grounds?? I'm not sure. Other than those, everything else is connected. I suppose I could trim the wire shielding to see where they run but that seems kind of dangerous.

The gray connection is a four wire connection, shown below if that helps anyone.

As I said the other day, I got the slave cylinder lined up. I got the clutch line hooked up as well and got it bled correctly. It felt perfect after that, nice and stiff but not too stiff. Here it is all lined up finally after the fork fiasco.

Up to this point, I haven't had any help. Today I needed it. My fiance came and helped me bleed the clutch, look at that smile

I got a bunch of other stuff hooked up as well. Started connecting the thermostat kit for the dual electric fans. I decided to use the sometimes debated risky way of connecting wires with good reason. I used wire crimp connectors just in case I ever have to remove the radiator. I don't want to have to resolder wires in that case.

I also got the driveshaft reconnected today and filled the tranny with 75W-90 gear oil per the FSM. I got the radiator filled today as well. I may need to get another drain plug for it as it seemed like it was leaking some. It didn't come with one so I had to buy one at the parts store and I think it may be a tad too small. I put some silicone over it to stop the dripping but I don't think that will hold.

I only have a few more things to do and I'll be ready. That is assuming I get the intercooler piping back from the welder tomorrow and I don't get railed for it money wise since it's $68 an hour.

More updates tomorrow!

Old 04-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #273
civilized_drifter
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (0)
civilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of lightcivilized_drifter is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to civilized_drifter
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84
Work Day 22
say goodbye to your windshield washer resivor(spelling)
civilized_drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #274
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by civilized_drifter
say goodbye to your windshield washer resivor(spelling)
Haha, we'll see about that. I've got a couple tricks up my sleeve
Old 04-15-2007, 10:43 PM   #275
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
KA sensors + SR tranny = FTW1!!
Old 04-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #276
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB
KA sensors + SR tranny = FTW1!!
Wait wait, I was under the impression all that needed to be swapped was the speed sensor? I also noticed that my KA24E had four sensors while I believe the SR only had three. I could be wrong there though.

Why would the rest need to be swapped?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 AM   #277
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
All you need is the speed sensor and the reverse lights. Remove those from the ka and install on the SR and then you can use the KA lower harness.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #278
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik

Is that a triforce tatoo =]
Old 04-16-2007, 07:01 AM   #279
S14DB
AFC #1

Taking the GF's shirt into consideration I'm going to have to say yes.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:13 AM   #280
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

I didn't think anyone would pick up on that Yeah, that's kinda how we met. She has the hearts from the health meter on the back of her neck.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #281
S14DB
AFC #1

I can see the wedding now:
Old 04-16-2007, 08:16 AM   #282
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

haha, screw that. That would be way too far. I've been a huge fan as far back as I can remember and even that would be way too much for me.

Those two characters were actually hired by Nintendo for some large expo (maybe E3?) if I remember correctly. There are some better pictures of his shield out there and it's incredibly well done.

Back on topic (before I start looking too much like a nerd, perhaps it's too late )

I'm only going to be able to do a few small things today on the car. I have two exams tomorrow and I have yet to study so I've got to get on top of that above all else.

I will (hopefully) be getting the intercooler piping back today, assuming the welder isn't a slackass. I plan on finally getting the gauges hooked up this afternoon. If I have enough time I'll get the radiator fan thermostat finished as well.

I ran into a small, expensive problem yesterday when I went to install the boost controller unit. I can't find it anywhere It's gotta be somewhere around there unless I mistakenly threw it away or something. I'll kick myself in the ass if I did. That's one thing to note about doing your swap in a storage unit. It is very hard to stay organized and clean with such limited space. Even if you do pick up, within minutes of working it's right back to where it was.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 AM   #283
Gearhead_42
Leaky Injector

Gearhead_42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Great writeup! I just spent 45 minutes at work reading through that... brought so many fond memories of my garageless swap (I did mine myself in an open sided gazebo in my backyard... in March)

The feeling you have when you hear her fire for the first time makes it all worth it!!!

Gearhead_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #284
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Update

I went on my lunch break today and picked up the intercooler piping from the welder. Thank god I didn't get railed. They only charged me 51$, not even an hours worth of work

The welds look great. So much better. They need some smoothing but other than that, they look solid. Picture time.

Here is the BOV flange all nice and rewelded.

Here is the threaded tube I had added to the pipe. I am going to be screwing a vacuum nipple into it to run to the boost controller solenoid.

I should be good to hook up the piping now. I still have to put the hole in the battery tray though. I bought a cordless drill the other day so sometime this week I'll take the time and drill it out.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #285
BlazedGlory
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
BlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enoughBlazedGlory will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hah, I'm a little pissed now. You got your HCI FMIC kit from Enjuku, right? When I got pissed that they sent me shotty cast elbows instead of the pictured silicone elbows, they tried to give me some bs explanation how Hybrid changed because the silicone elbows were blowing out and they wouldn't make it right for me. I've quit shopping with them, and now I see that my gut was right and they were just f'ing me around. Nice silicone elbows! I hate bad customer service...

If you did in fact purchase it from Enjuku, may I ask when you made the purchase?
BlazedGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:40 PM   #286
Okinawa Drift
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Okinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choices
did you get your black top sr at http://enjukuracing.com/ ?

hahaa i couldent find any engines on that site :S .. they have some nice stuff though
Okinawa Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #287
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okinawa Drift
did you get your black top sr at http://enjukuracing.com/ ?

hahaa i couldent find any engines on that site :S .. they have some nice stuff though
You couldn't find them? They're on there. Click on SR20DET and then on Motors. They just raised their price after I bought mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazedGlory
If you did in fact purchase it from Enjuku, may I ask when you made the purchase?
No more than two months ago. I posted on the day I received my parts if you read the thread back a few pages.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 PM   #288
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Update

Went out to the unit today but the fiance had the camera taking pictures of houses.

I changed over the lower wiring harness back to the KA harness, but as I suspected the SR sensors do not align. I still need to switch the reverse sensor which will make them mate but I dont know if I can use the KA neutral sensor. Anyone have any insight?

I did only a few small things other than that since I only have 2 hours of sunlight. I removed the old oil filter off of the SR and installed the new one. I can't believe how much of a bitch it was to get that thing off. Whoever put the old filter on tightened it down WAY too tight. I was actually roundeing the oil filter out(the little grooves on the top) using the removal clamp because it was on so damn tight. I had to hammer the removal tool onto the filter as hard as I could and use a breaker bar to get it loose. Ridiculous.

I also got a little overzealous and wanted to see if the car would turn over at this point since I have most everything connected and the fluids filled. I unplugged the cam position sensor so the packs wouldn't fire, connected the battery, and attempted to start it.

All that happened was I heard the fuel pump turn on for 5 seconds (normal) and the starter bendix click loudly. It sounded like it started to turn and then it was stopped or it couldn't turn for some reason. It could be that the battery has lost some of its charge sitting for a month or maybe those plugs do indeed need to be connected for it to turn over(reverse light sensor, I highly doubt, and neutral sensor). Also could be that the starter is bad I suppose.

I haven't done any research other than checking out the troubleshooting section at heavythrottle.com. I'm gonna start that now, if anyone has any tips my ears are open.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #289
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
Where did you order all your silicone couplers?
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:05 AM   #290
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:

All that happened was I heard the fuel pump turn on for 5 seconds (normal) and the starter bendix click loudly. It sounded like it started to turn and then it was stopped or it couldn't turn for some reason. It could be that the battery has lost some of its charge sitting for a month or maybe those plugs do indeed need to be connected for it to turn over(reverse light sensor, I highly doubt, and neutral sensor). Also could be that the starter is bad I suppose.

I haven't done any research other than checking out the troubleshooting section at heavythrottle.com. I'm gonna start that now, if anyone has any tips my ears are open.

Sounds like a weak battery, not enough amps to crank the motor over. The tranny sensors are not necessary for getting the car to run, I swapped the ones from the ka over, neutral sensor is near the vss, reverse is more towards the middle/front of the tranny just before the bell housing by itself.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #291
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statik
Sounds like a weak battery, not enough amps to crank the motor over. The tranny sensors are not necessary for getting the car to run, I swapped the ones from the ka over, neutral sensor is near the vss, reverse is more towards the middle/front of the tranny just before the bell housing by itself.
Yeah, I'm going to try using the battery out of my daily and see if that works. The battery in the 240 has never let me down although it has given me some "weak" cranks in the past, ie it would barely have enough juice to turn the car over if left untouched for a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r
Where did you order all your silicone couplers?
They came with the intercooler actually. Not sure where you could order them from, maybe HDI?
Old 04-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #292
kura

kura is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kura
Quote:
Work Day 22 [Back to index]

The gray connection is a four wire connection, shown below if that helps anyone.

I don't know if you're still trying to figure out what this connector is, but it looks like it may be related to this picture you had posted earlier. The connectors seem quite similar. By the way, this is based purely off of the fact that the connections looked similar, I don't know what that connector goes to, nor do I know what this thing is. Just thought it may help you out.

kura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 02:12 PM   #293
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kura
I don't know if you're still trying to figure out what this connector is, but it looks like it may be related to this picture you had posted earlier. The connectors seem quite similar. By the way, this is based purely off of the fact that the connections looked similar, I don't know what that connector goes to, nor do I know what this thing is. Just thought it may help you out.
I thought the same thing when I first noticed a rogue connector but they are on opposite sides of the engine bay. That part was up near the firewall and the connector is down by the passenger side headlight coming from the fusebox. It wouldn't have reached. I believe the connector for that part is tucked away in the fender right now.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #294
sblack13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (10)
sblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud ofsblack13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
that box is the cruise control actuator. It has nothing to do with the other plug.
sblack13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #295
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblack13
that box is the cruise control actuator. It has nothing to do with the other plug.
Yeah, someone mentioned that earlier. I'm going to get rid of it since I'm going to be getting rid of the stock steering wheel for a quick release anyways. My neighborhood isn't that friendly.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:47 PM   #296
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
That connector you're wondering about is one of the important ones... It's #19 on my little pin-out diagram (not previously posted on Zilvia, cause I've been busy ever since I made it). It's a pin-to-pin diagram of every wire on the SR engine harness, and what it's for. Since your engine harness is for the SR and your lower harness is not, you need to do some "massaging" to get all the right things goin to the right places. This info is available on teh internets, btw.

Click on it to view full size

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #297
Okinawa Drift

Okinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choicesOkinawa Drift has made poor choices
wow jrmiller, the engine you got from Enjuku Racing worth it??

i just saw the price... its $3000 for a blacktop sr :O

on this other site i saw it was only $1800 for everything...

http://www.torontojdm.com/lite/cart....category_id=62
Okinawa Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:58 PM   #298
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRJJordan
That connector you're wondering about is one of the important ones... It's #19 on my little pin-out diagram (not previously posted on Zilvia, cause I've been busy ever since I made it). It's a pin-to-pin diagram of every wire on the SR engine harness, and what it's for. Since your engine harness is for the SR and your lower harness is not, you need to do some "massaging" to get all the right things goin to the right places. This info is available on teh internets, btw.

Click on it to view full size
Damn man, that's one hell of a pinout. Thanks! I'll be troubleshooting it on Saturday so this will help immensely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okinawa Drift
wow jrmiller, the engine you got from Enjuku Racing worth it??

i just saw the price... its $3000 for a blacktop sr :O

on this other site i saw it was only $1800 for everything...

http://www.torontojdm.com/lite/cart....category_id=62

They just recently raised their prices. When I got it it was 2200$+tax. They are known for their service so I was willing to pay a little more in hopes that I would get a good motor and have help if something was wrong with it.

The saying "You get what you pay for" has never been more true when it comes to anything related to the S chassis.
Old 04-18-2007, 09:15 PM   #299
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
Quote:
The saying "You get what you pay for" has never been more true when it comes to anything related to the S chassis.
wise words yet few people listen
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #300
westin

westin is a jewel in the roughwestin is a jewel in the roughwestin is a jewel in the roughwestin is a jewel in the roughwestin is a jewel in the roughwestin is a jewel in the roughwestin is a jewel in the rough
are you building this for a daily drive or for a track car, just curious nice build!
westin is offline   Reply With Quote