Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 04-26-2007, 12:10 PM   #421
opponheimer
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
opponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Are your e-fans coming on at the right temperature? Did you bleed the coolant properly? I've never had a gauge do that, thats crazy.

About an AFR gauge, it doesn't really tell you anything, pretty much useless altogether. If you want something that will actually give you information (Like letting you know your car is running Too Lean or Too Rich) then get a functional wideband... unless thats what you meant

You should make a nice video of your car, especially under boost, from inside and outside.. I wanna hear that exhaust!
Old 04-26-2007, 12:17 PM   #422
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (2)
jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jrmiller84
Quote:
Originally Posted by opponheimer View Post
Are your e-fans coming on at the right temperature? Did you bleed the coolant properly? I've never had a gauge do that, thats crazy.

About an AFR gauge, it doesn't really tell you anything, pretty much useless altogether. If you want something that will actually give you information (Like letting you know your car is running Too Lean or Too Rich) then get a functional wideband... unless thats what you meant

You should make a nice video of your car, especially under boost, from inside and outside.. I wanna hear that exhaust!
I'm not entirely sure they're coming on at the correct time, but they are coming on at a time that seems right, although I'm sure that doesn't mean much. The gauge has acted like that since I bought the car. I can flick the temp gauge and it settles back down usually so it's definitely the gauge.

Also, I don't think the fan thermostat relay I installed has a way for me to change the temp that it turns on at. Kinda sucks. I purchased this fan thermostat relay.

I made sure to install a new water thermostat in the engine as well, so that shouldn't be a problem at least. It is just a new stock one though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opponheimer
I most definitely will be. I'll probably post it on Saturday when my fiance doesn't have to work so she can film it for me. I won't have a way of mounting the camera otherwise. I'll get some in car shots, walk arounds, and some flyby shots as well.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #423
statik
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (0)
statik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond reputestatik has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to statik Send a message via MSN to statik
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmiller84 View Post
Also, I don't think the fan thermostat relay I installed has a way for me to change the temp that it turns on at. Kinda sucks. I purchased this fan thermostat relay.
Weak, this is the way to go:
http://www.frsport.com/DIF_Dual_Elec...er_p_1373.html
Old 04-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #424
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (53)
JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 53 reviews
well my last post I said that connector was for the neutral postion switch, but I forgot on the s13's the 4th postion switch is the same type of connector as the neutral pos. switch
JDS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #425
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

jrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond reputejrmiller84 has a reputation beyond repute
Update

Tried to get the exhaust manifold gasket off today but it was too late so I decided to just drive her Took some pictures while I had her out.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #426
GSXRJJordan
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (19)
GSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfectionGSXRJJordan is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Send a message via AIM to GSXRJJordan
lookin good. A good water temp sensor and a wideband are nice, but looking at the wideband isn't gonna do you much good :/ You've got no way to tune it.

Also, the boost controller can't make it boost less than the wastegate's set for... meaning it can't open the wastegate, can only keep it from opening. You'll never boost less than 7 or 8 psi.

Jordan Innovations has a new web site!
www.JordanInnovations.com -- All your favorite FD Pro Drifters love it, trust me -- www.JordanInnovations.com
GSXRJJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #427
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Work Day 28 [Back to index]

Today I got the exhaust manifold gasket replaced. It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Took only like two hours to get it off and back on. Only thing I wasn't able to reconnect was the downpipe because one of the nuts fell into it when i disconnected it I tried to get it out with a magnet but no dice. Should be a 20 minute fix tomorrow. Here's a picture of the old shitty gasket.

Here is the new gasket being put on.

Tomorrow all I have to do is reconnect one of the power steering hard lines and then it's all cosmetic. Putting the fender wells back on, trimming the bumper to fit the intercooler core and reconnecting it, as well as finish connecting the interior panels. I got about 80% of the interior connected on my lunch break although I didn't bring my camera then to take pictures. Got the boost controller mounted how I want it and the center console all put back together. Tomorrow I shall finish!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 PM   #428
240trainee
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection240trainee is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240trainee
Blah at that gasket.

Buy an S15 7 layer metal one now and hang onto it, your probably going to need it in the future, lol.

Badass this actually worked for ya!!!!

Team Pterodactyl
SHARK ATTACK!!!
LookoutDrift
240trainee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #429
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Yeah, I'm not too hot on this new one but it will do for the time being. I may order a nice one on Monday when I get my water temp gauge so that I can change it sometime soon.

Anything is better than the one that was on there. Hell, liquid gasket would have probably been better
Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #430
ImporteXBUILT
Leaky Injector

ImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enoughImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enoughImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enoughImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enough
Nice build/write up! Congrats on getting her running bro. One question, was it worth it??
ImporteXBUILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #431
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImporteXBUILT View Post
Nice build/write up! Congrats on getting her running bro. One question, was it worth it??

Every minute.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #432
ImporteXBUILT
Leaky Injector

ImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enoughImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enoughImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enoughImporteXBUILT will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Every minute.
And that's all that matters. Congratualtions, once again, and have fun with her!
ImporteXBUILT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:14 AM   #433
scottie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (11)
scottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nicescottie is just really nice
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Good job! I remember my first build being in a storage shed too. Was a huge PITA but as you said it was well worth it. Welcome to the swap club! Have fun!

Scott
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #434
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

JDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of lightJDS Performance is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Good job! I remember my first build being in a storage shed too. Was a huge PITA but as you said it was well worth it. Welcome to the swap club! Have fun!

Scott
Yeah I did my KA24DET DVD in a 20'X20' storage building - and I thought that was tight - I dont see how you guys cram into those smaller ones?

Congrats!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #435
Ca_laurier
Zilvia Junkie

Ca_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to allCa_laurier is a name known to all
looking good dude. lol did alot better job than me. so freash and so clean

but ya i have to agree, those tiny storage bays are insane to work in which is really impressive
Ca_laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:11 PM   #436
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Update

Just drove the car home. Fucking awesome.

I'll have an update later with pictures.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:12 PM   #437
xcusememisswyn
Zilvia Addict

xcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfection
congrats man im fuckin jealous
Old 04-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #438
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Work Day 29 [Back to index]

As I said yeserday, I got to drive her home. I had absolutely no problems getting her home and even drove her this morning to Publix to get some grub and she preformed perfectly. I think she's solid. There are a couple things I am going to have to address but nothing major.

One of those things is the exhaust. That thing is intense. It shakes the entire car. At first I thought the rattling was from not having half of the car put together(body and interior panels) but even after doing that, it rumbles quite a bit. Might have to invest in some dynamat or maybe get one of those nice cat's since now I'm using a testpipe (that should calm it down some correct?).

There are a few other things I need to clean up like bundling some of the wires better together and stuff. Things that can wait a little bit. They're fine as they are, it's mostly just cosmetic.

With all of that being said and done, here are some pictures.

The exchange. Fords =

I'm going to write an "In Conclusion" post here soon detailing a lot of the small things I ran into that will help people out in the future. I've been keeping tabs on all of the tools I used and stuff like that so I'll write that up.

At the end of the week, if everything is running alright, I plan on taking her on my first long ride up to Jacksonville to see my parents. It's a good one and a half hour drive so it'll be a good measure of how well she really is driving.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this earlier. Didn't realize it but on my front driver side tire, the tread is seperating from the tire (). I put a donut on it last night and I'm getting a new tire tomorrow. Scared the hell outta me after I realized I drove home all of that way with the tire like that.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #439
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to Irukandji
It's not the exhaust rumbling your car... it's your motor mounts.
Irukandji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 01:54 PM   #440
xcusememisswyn
Zilvia Addict

xcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfectionxcusememisswyn is close to perfection
Quote:
0 RPM's at 50MPH, thats some pimp ass gearing!?!

Congrats tho, definitely a lot of knowledge in this thread.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:02 PM   #441
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Irukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfectionIrukandji is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcusememisswyn View Post
0 RPM's at 50MPH, thats some pimp ass gearing!?!

Congrats tho, definitely a lot of knowledge in this thread.

The sohc tach doesn't work with SR's.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #442
ms!3
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
ms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfectionms!3 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ms!3
nice emo shot, haha. looks like it comin along, next up, coilovers?
ms!3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #443
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1sm0r View Post
It's not the exhaust rumbling your car... it's your motor mounts.
Even with new motor mounts??

Quote:
The sohc tach doesn't work with SR's.
Correct, that's on my "To Buy" list now. They seem to be kinda hard to find though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS!3 View Post
nice emo shot, haha. looks like it comin along, next up, coilovers?
Yeah, I didn't intend on it coming out that way. It's an awesome shot of the car though. I didn't want to be in it, just the car

Next it's actually wheels and tires. I need to get the body fixed desperately and I dont want to get nice body work and have wapperjawed wheels.
Old 04-29-2007, 02:56 PM   #444
C. Senor
Post Whore!

C. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfectionC. Senor is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to C. Senor
i have to say it looks pretty spiffy man. nice work...may you thoroughly enjoy the fruits of your labor.
C. Senor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:08 PM   #445
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Wheels and tires is going to look worse 4x4.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:41 PM   #446
Irukandji
Post Whore!

Quote:
Even with new motor mounts??
Yessir. Those mounts are crazy stiff, so all the vibration is transferred straight to your chassis rather than being absorbed by your mounts. I have the exact same motor mounts and my car shakes like crazy, including the dash, door panels etc. It feels pretty ghetto so i was thinking about just selling them and buying nismo motor mounts.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #447
jrmiller84
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14DB View Post
Wheels and tires is going to look worse 4x4.
Yeah, I do agree but my tires are all taking a shit on me so I've gotta get them changed. I plan on getting suspension soon after though.

Quote:
Yessir. Those mounts are crazy stiff, so all the vibration is transferred straight to your chassis rather than being absorbed by your mounts. I have the exact same motor mounts and my car shakes like crazy, including the dash, door panels etc. It feels pretty ghetto so i was thinking about just selling them and buying nismo motor mounts.

Ahh, I see what you mean. It's not particularly bothering me yet but I'm sure it will soon. The fiance doesn't like the rattling that much, but she can get over it
Old 04-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #448
JDS Performance
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Yeah I had a turbo back exhaust (no resinator) with JGS rubber (not solid) motor mounts - WOW! hello vibration city - and the exhaust was deafining - Basically I pulled both - replaced the exhaust for a catback w/ resinator - and used Nismo motor mounts - way better - and this is all on a N/A KA!
Its my DD so I cant handle all the vibrations and noise all the time!
And those silencers suck ass! - hell I even tried a stock s13 cat on the exhaust and it was still crazy loud!

Sombody makes resinators that you can weld onto your exhaust to quite it down and back up the turbo's exhaust - Invidia maybe?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:05 AM   #449
atutt
Zilvia Addict

atutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond reputeatutt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Yeah, I do agree but my tires are all taking a shit on me so I've gotta get them changed. I plan on getting suspension soon after though.

Ahh, I see what you mean. It's not particularly bothering me yet but I'm sure it will soon. The fiance doesn't like the rattling that much, but she can get over it :keke:
See, he's got it down pat! lol...
Nice work by the way, definately one of the more complete and better build threads!
atutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #450
opponheimer
Zilvia FREAK!

opponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond reputeopponheimer has a reputation beyond repute
Ill bet you your tow hook is hitting your exhaust canister... I cut mine off with a hack saw, check it out.