Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 05-10-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
shaggy240sx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
shaggy240sx is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SR20 Won't Start

I haven't posted on here in a long time because I thought all my quirk were finally worked out, but apparently not.

So last summer/fall my 240sx with a redtop SR20 was running fine. Never ridden in another SR powered car so I am not sure it was running smoothly, but it felt and sounded plenty strong.

I went to start it this weekend (after it had been sitting for 5+ months in my garage) and nothing. It doesnt even try to turn over. The starter sounds like it is doing its thing, but it never even tries to turn over. From what I can tell it has all the necessary components to run, but it doesnt.

-Air - Not sure how to test this...but I disconnected the pipe to the throttle body at one point (for testing), and it still didnt start, so if it is an air problem, it is not in the Intake or IC piping.

-Fuel - Confirmed fuel is making it to the fuel rail (disconnected the fuel line at the rail and put it in a bucket as I turned it over). Also confirmed that the injectors are atleast clicking, which leads me to believe they are spraying.

-Spark - Hooked plug wires up to a spare plug I had and they were able to arch onto the valvue cover. Spark seemed a little less then normal, but I tested with a spare/old plug.

I am by no means a mechanic so I really don't know what else to test at this point. Like I said, it worked fine 5 or so months ago when I parked it, but now it doesn't. Any ideas?

BTW...if anyone in the Parker, CO area wants to stop by and take a look...I will supply the beers.

EDIT:It still has the stock ecu if that makes a difference.

EDIT #2:So apparently it does turn over (friend read the thread and corrected me), but it just does not fire. Doesn't make sense to me, but I will just go with it.

Last edited by shaggy240sx; 05-10-2006 at 08:04 AM..
shaggy240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2006, 12:18 PM   #2
shaggy240sx
Leaky Injector

Nothing? Do I have you all stumped? Not sure if that would be a good thing, or a bad thing.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:45 PM   #3
WILDACEX187
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (4)
WILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond reputeWILDACEX187 has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to WILDACEX187
did u check your battery maybe?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
shaggy240sx
Leaky Injector

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDACEX187
did u check your battery maybe?
Hehe...the battery is almost dead from all the trying...but I have had it on jumper cables recently, so it is getting juice. The starter is turning the engine over, it just never fires.

Also, the MAF appears to be sparkling clean, but I am probably going to try cleaning it and/or disconnecting it to see if the SR has a Limp Mode with no MAF (but dead as a rock mode with bad MAF). That was suggested on a Z-Car forum.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Wei240
Nissanaholic!

Wei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really niceWei240 is just really nice
could be the clutch interlock relay/switch?
some people had that clutch button break off, or the blue relay box next to the battery could be bad?
i had a similar problem and thought that was it, it wasn't but it's been known to be a common problem, for me, it was just the wiring was a little off, make sure the spade connector is all the way in, and the starter wire are all plugged in tight...
Wei240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #6
S13Eye
Zilvia Member

S13Eye will become famous soon enoughS13Eye will become famous soon enoughS13Eye will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to S13Eye
Disconnect the fuel injectors, remove the ignition coils, and remove the spark plugs. Check the spark plugs to see if they are wet. Clean the plugs if they are fouled. Crank the engine in 5 second bursts a couple times, letting the starter cool down between cranking. If you have compressed air, blow out all cylinders by shooting air through the spark plug holes. Reinstall everything except for the injectors. Now, get yourself a propane torch and feed propane into the intake manifold (unlit). The brake booster line should be sufficient, but make sure you do it before the check valve or else you won't get any propane to enter the manifold. Give the torch a few seconds to fill the manifold with propane and crank the engine. If it starts or stumbles you know its a fuel issue. Starting fluid also works, but i like doing it with propane.
S13Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
shaggy240sx
Leaky Injector

Hmm...so apparently the connection to the ECU wants to be about 1/2 turn loose. Once I loosened the bolt a little it fired up...only problem is I was messing with the CAS before that...so now I have to fix my timing. But at least it starts now.

I hate electronics.