Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #1
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (4)
INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Official Caliper Finishing pic thread... Polished mine whatcha think?

Okay so I got flamed for doing what I've been taught to do which is search and if i have further questions to ask. I received a bunch of neg rep's for "bumping an old ass thread" so here is my own new thread for you haters. Others post pics and share ideas/thoughts on caliper finishing

Started with painted calipers, hated it, looked crappy, chipping, etc. So i went at them with a brass wire wheel like i saw in another "old ass" thread.

Wasnt satisfied... the wire wheel really chewed up the aluminum (rear) calipers, so i decided to sandblast them. Found out what i thought were aluminum front calipers, turned out to be iron front, aluminum rear. I guess had i taken a closer look i'd have been able to figure that out.... anyway this is what they looked like

So then i took the brass wheel to the fronts which polished them up nicely.

Didnt want to touch the rears with the wire wheel again so i went ahead and tried to polish them on the cotton buffing wheel. Didnt do shit. So i took an aluminum die-grinder disk and went to town, smoothing out the 'sandyness' and making them nice and smooth. Finished them up with the cotton buffer and white compound. They turned out AWESOME.

And polished vs sandblasted on aluminum

So just finished installing em, they look sweet with the zinc plated rotors. ive got a bit of touchup to do with the Nissan letters. Other than that, just used some high temp (500 deg) clear coat for the fronts so they wont rust, rears should be fine. Finished product:

So use this thread to post other peoples pics and methods on painting, polishing, sandblasting, powdercoating, etc. And let me know what you guys think!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
arkive43
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (0)
arkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud ofarkive43 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looks great man!!
arkive43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
240sxScores
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (2)
240sxScores is making a name for him/her self240sxScores is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 240sxScores
Looks pretty good man. Great job.
240sxScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
S13FREEAAK
Drifterella

Trader Rating: (14)
S13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfectionS13FREEAAK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Those look good. I like them alot more than your average painted black or red ones.

I may have to polish my calipers for the bimmer after seeing this.
S13FREEAAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
wonkuuzenki
Zilvia Junkie

wonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-known
Very nice.
I wonder if anyone has painted caliper whilst also adding ridiculous amounts of flake/sparkle??

I'm betting it would look awesome if you kept them clean.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
you can powdercoat w/sparkle. consider that route.
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #7
projectRDM
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (12)
projectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfectionprojectRDM is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Question, why didn't you completely remove all the paint from the lettering? The 'I' on the rear caliper for example. Leaving it only partially done looks like shit.

Learn what's really going on and protect your assets now before they're gone forever: www.paypalsucks.com
projectRDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #8
wonkuuzenki
Zilvia Junkie

wonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-knownwonkuuzenki is making his/her stupidity well-known
Right. that's what i was thinking..
Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
didderson
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
didderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to didderson
They look great. So baller with the rest of your silvery colored rims and rotors!
didderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:10 PM   #10
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

INeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond reputeINeedNewTires has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectRDM View Post
Question, why didn't you completely remove all the paint from the lettering? The 'I' on the rear caliper for example. Leaving it only partially done looks like shit.
i realize it needs a bit of touchup, (you obviously didnt read my comments in-between the pics) However, i removed all of the paint, polished them, then painted the letters back on. But when i was installing them i fucked the 'I' up a lil bit, i'll just go over it with my paint pen later, no biggie. i'm planning on doing the fronts too
Old 12-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #11
P_856
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (7)
P_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really niceP_856 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
looks nice so how long did it take you
P_856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 PM   #12
sbanzer123
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (6)
sbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the roughsbanzer123 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
id clear the rears to so the polish wont get dull.
sbanzer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:26 PM   #13
posdriftin
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (7)
posdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond reputeposdriftin has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
looks nice ... i think im gonna borrow your idea for my fronts....
posdriftin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 AM   #14
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanzer123 View Post
id clear the rears to so the polish wont get dull.
yea i was wondering about that, didnt want the clear to make them look yellow but the aluminum will surely tarnish eventually right? anyone have any experience with this? about how long would it take?

thanks for the props guys lets get some rep points get me outta the hole!
Old 12-20-2007, 02:14 AM   #15
WERDdabuilder
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (17)
WERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfectionWERDdabuilder is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
im about to do mine black with glitter =D.

should make em more of a smooth bling.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:17 AM   #16
SW20Racer
Nissanaholic!

SW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfectionSW20Racer is close to perfection
a diy powdercoat set up is cheapy cheap and it pays for itself after 3 or so friends want their shit done too. and it comes in handy for other stuff too. just a thought...example, i have an uncle who sandblasts for a living(automotive, tombstones, ANYTHING) and he picked up some basic powder coating supplies for his automotive endeavors. word got out and in 3 months he was powder coating crazy shit for the military. just think about that applying to you, but on a smaller scale.
SW20Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 02:23 AM   #17
INeedNewTires
Zilvia FREAK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_856 View Post
looks nice so how long did it take you
sandblasting about an hour including prep, wire wheel polishing was like 10 min, super easy on the iron calipers. The die grinding on the aluminum was real quick on the sandblasted one, but on the one i chewed up with the wire wheel it took a while. then polishing them is easy, they turn all black though so gotta spray em down with brake cleaner, then painting the letters and clear is more wait time than "do" time. Id say all in all about 3 to 3.5 hrs all said and done
Old 12-20-2007, 04:26 AM   #18
Zilvia FREAK!

status:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to status:one
I bet that was a bitch... they turned out nice though, great job!. Now just fix the nissan logo... I think the "I" went for a walk.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:55 AM   #19
RedStage
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (1)
RedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to beholdRedStage is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
nice job so tempted...but I'd hate to have to pull the calipers when there is no reason to at this time. Will keep this subscribed to for the possibility of some day trying this myself.

Oh...can you take some pics with the whole car in there so we can see the over-all effect? thxs

RedStage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:23 AM   #20
The Chad
Zilvia Addict

The Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really niceThe Chad is just really nice
Very nice job! I contemplated pollishing mine as well but got only as far as grinding of the excess lettering and smoothing out the chipped fins on the calipers. Then i painted them high temp "canary" (i'm obnoxioxious like that ) yellow and pollished the Nissan lettering (mirror finish) after baking them in my oven for a few hours to set-up the paint. I highly recomend pollishing the "NISSAN" on all painted calipers, really looks a lot better than the ridged factory style, and a nice "cop out" for those who don't have the patience to polish the entire calliper.
--I'm at work right now but i'll post up some pics when i get home of mine.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #21
DOOK
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (3)
DOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfectionDOOK is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can't wait until Rican_Nick gets his brembos and rear Z32s done... shaved and polished.... they are gonna be yummy

DOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #22
Zilvia FREAK!

status:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfectionstatus:one is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to status:one
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
I can't wait until Rican_Nick gets his brembos and rear Z32s done... shaved and polished.... they are gonna be yummy
My brother polished his brembos on his G35c. They look awesome.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #23
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
whoa whoa whoa.. damn DOOK.. to much intel..

hahahahahahaha

cats out the bag.. here is a pic of stock/shaved/sanded rear z32 caliper.

since this pic was taken they are now all taken apart and the front halfs are in the first stage of final polish. The rears i am finishing up the 800grit sanding > 1000> steel wool.. then polish.

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM   #24
azndummie
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (14)
azndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant futureazndummie has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
looking \good man
azndummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:46 AM   #25
dorkidori_s13
ITS LISA'S FAULT!!!

Trader Rating: (41)
dorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfectiondorkidori_s13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 41 reviews
those are hot...good work on em

nice change to the whole "painted" look

Check out my IG for what I'm up to! DORKIDORI INSTAGRAM!!!
dorkidori_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 AM   #26
nani
Zilvia Member

nani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-knownnani is making his/her stupidity well-known
are you guys gonna spray some clear coat or some kind of protective coat on the caliper?
nani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 AM   #27
rican_nick
Zilvia FREAK!

rican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfectionrican_nick is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to rican_nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by nani View Post
are you guys gonna spray some clear coat or some kind of protective coat on the caliper?

not sure bout the OP. But mine will be powder coated clear.. cuz fuck if i am going to be polishing these again.. haha

My Seller's Review Thread
rican_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #28
eds13
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (1)
eds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfectioneds13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to eds13
now one of the times i wish i had alumium z brakes....
Old 12-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #29
Subzeroqc
Leaky Injector

Subzeroqc will become famous soon enoughSubzeroqc will become famous soon enoughSubzeroqc will become famous soon enough
Wow those look amazing, might be enough to motivate my lazy ass to take mine powder coated ones apart and try this. I might give it a try on old S14 calipers I have laying around first.

Thanks for the write up!
Subzeroqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #30
garagelu
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (60)
garagelu is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 60 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzeroqc View Post
Wow those look amazing, might be enough to motivate my lazy ass to take mine powder coated ones apart and try this. I might give it a try on old S14 calipers I have laying around first.

Thanks for the write up!
S14 calipers are iron, not aluminum so it not possible to polish it.
garagelu is offline   Reply With Quote