Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Tech Talk

Tech Talk Technical Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 02-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #1
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
s15 Yoshi's Ichi-Go Install...

First off, I refuse to say this is a S13.5 conversion. That implies that it's S13 and a half... IE S14 front & S13 rear, or vice versa, so from here forward I'll either call it an Ichi-Go conversion, or S13-S15

My eventual goal is to make a progress journal detailed enough that someone else could use it as a tutorial and follow in my footsteps (skipping what mistakes I make hopefully), as I've not seen such a tutorial thus far.

So this weekend I got to the preliminary part of the install, removal of the front end and eyeballing the fenders for fitment. Somewhat dissapointing, but I'm not too bummed, there's still far too much to be experimented with to get negative.

I'd rather not rehash everthing I put in the webpage, you're all literate folk so here's the link
www.360realms.com/S13-S15/
(56k need not apply :P hehee BIG pix!)

FEEDBACK PLEASE!

edit 02-17-05:
Page Updated with Day 2: New part weights, Headlight brackets & CF Hood installed... Fenders: worse that we thought

edit 02-22-05:
Page Updated with Day 3: old parts weights, cutting the S13 radiator support, bracing opinions, hood alignment done!, prelim. light fitment

edit 03-02-05:
Page Updated with Day 5: Defeating the headlight gap, Neatening up the core support cuts, & Hacking off the passenger side headlight mount

edit 03-06-05:
Page Updated with Day 6 and part of Day 7: I have Lights! Guestbook also online! PLEASE SIGN!

edit 03-09-05:

www.360realms.com/S13-S15
Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
i had the same ordeal with the mounting tabs pointing upward X-degrees. i juss screwed them down and stress them a bit
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Yoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to beholdYoshi is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilviaDriver
i had the same ordeal with the mounting tabs pointing upward X-degrees. i juss screwed them down and stress them a bit
Ah good to know! Thanks!
Were yours as angled as mine?

Sam (Jspec) told me that they're "exact" replicas of the Masa's, which they well may be, but if the Masas are the same way, the problem is just replicated.
How much were yours angled?
Old 02-14-2005, 03:12 PM   #4
SilviaDriver
Post Whore!

SilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enoughSilviaDriver will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SilviaDriver
definitely less than yours. yours look as if you were to juss screw them down, it would snap or crack a bit

i read somewhere if you heat it up shouldnt you be able to bend it back slightly? i highly doubt Masa were angled like that because i actually never heard of any stories of them being that way. the only problem i hear about Masa is having to sand things down.

i had more of a side problem than that. i had to push and shove a bit and screw them down, only way for them to sit correctly.
SilviaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:21 PM   #5
kensreliableb18b
Zilvia Addict

Location: so cal - 626, 909, 562 and 949. 818 if i feel like running away
kensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nicekensreliableb18b is just really nice
if i were you i wouldnt take chances on fitting the fenders. seeing as though you guys are having problems with the s13.5 fenders, u should contact a person by the name of mike directly at inner circle autoworks (626) 443 5188. im sure he can work something out with you guys.
kensreliableb18b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensreliableb18b
if i were you i wouldnt take chances on fitting the fenders. seeing as though you guys are having problems with the s13.5 fenders, u should contact a person by the name of mike directly at inner circle autoworks (626) 443 5188. im sure he can work something out with you guys.
Hmm... interesting... have you seen other versions of this? How do you know Mike (so can say who referred me)?

The main problem I see, is that IF they could replace my fenders with properly fitting ones, I'd still have to pay for shipment of them back to IC at the very least, plus however long it takes to ship. It took me almost 6 months to get the ones I have in the first place, and my car is immobile until i'm done. I'd really rather not be without it for another month at least

*sigh* dilemmas dilemmas...
Old 02-14-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
timmybgood
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (0)
timmybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
nice write-up. you should give the heat gun idea a try on part and see if it works, because regardless you'll have to fiberglass on some new tabs or send those fenders back. might as well try it.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
aa87
Zilvia FREAK!

aa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant futureaa87 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to aa87
Yeah, not sure about fiberglass or anything, but would a heat gun let you bend the tabs? I dont love the S15 front, but the results are gonna be sweet.
aa87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:39 PM   #9
Y3llowS14
Zilvia Member

Y3llowS14 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same probelm with mine as well---but mine were from SWATT through speedalliance though. I just used some spacers to fix the problem. The guy that painted my car said that I could have heated up the tab to fix it, but I havent gotten the chance to do it yet.
Y3llowS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:08 PM   #10
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y3llowS14
I have the same probelm with mine as well---but mine were from SWATT through speedalliance though. I just used some spacers to fix the problem. The guy that painted my car said that I could have heated up the tab to fix it, but I havent gotten the chance to do it yet.
So the consensus is that heating it will help make it more pliable?
I was expecting that since it was a resin, it's pretty much a permanent deal, but i'm HAPPY to be wrong if that's the case! Yay, my heat gun will get it's first productive use! (I've already experimented a lot with melting styrofoam cups into the shapes of small animals... quite the art form really! :P hehee)

Thanks for your feedback everyone, it's already helping me out!
Old 02-14-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
S14DB
AFC #1

Trader Rating: (3)
S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Heating it up to over 95F will make the Resin in the Glass pliable. As long and the resin doesn't turn dark or bubble. They prolly cureved from sitting in a hot warehouse not when they were made.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:54 PM   #12
Siizzzoooo
Zilvia FREAK!

Siizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really niceSiizzzoooo is just really nice
If I were you, I would mount the headlights, and hood. U really didnt need to buy the hinges...

I would mount those, center EVERYTHING up, and work the fenders around the headlights and hood. This was the best method for me. It will take a little push and shove, it is the true test to see how those fenders are.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:05 PM   #13
HATchTRICK
Zilvia Member

HATchTRICK is an unknown quantity at this point
I work with alot of fiberglass. You can simply heat that up with a heat gun and. while it's hot drill and bolt it down.. Dont worry about over heating it. it wont matter cause I'm hoping you gonna re-paint everything again anyways. then just let it cool down and your done. its alot easie than fabbing up wedges or glassing new mount points.
HATchTRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 11:34 PM   #14
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Page updated with Day 2 work... Day 3 to follow.

Does ANYONE have any info on wiring for the s13-s15 lights? I've found plenty of info for S14-S15, but not S13... I'd REALLY appreciate some help!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:16 AM   #15
Drunk Bastard
Zilvia FREAK!

Drunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Drunk Bastard
THREAD JACK:

I just completed mine too...
Drunk Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 AM   #16
S14DB
AFC #1

S14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfectionS14DB is close to perfection
Just take your time and heat up slowly. It make take some time but it will soften right up.
S14DB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 01:03 AM   #17
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Bastard
THREAD JACK:

I just completed mine too...
OOoo! looks nice!
Okay, questions:
1. S13-S15 or S14-S15?
2. how did you get your fogs in? my IC pipes are in the way
3. what brand fenders did you get? I notice you have some slight gap tween the fenders and the hoods as well.
4. if you're S13, could you please, Please, PLEASE hook me up with your headlight wiring info!
5. NICE Garage! (guess that's not a question)
Old 02-18-2005, 02:38 AM   #18
Drunk Bastard
Zilvia FREAK!

Drunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really niceDrunk Bastard is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi
OOoo! looks nice!
Okay, questions:
1. S13-S15 or S14-S15?
2. how did you get your fogs in? my IC pipes are in the way
3. what brand fenders did you get? I notice you have some slight gap tween the fenders and the hoods as well.
4. if you're S13, could you please, Please, PLEASE hook me up with your headlight wiring info!
5. NICE Garage! (guess that's not a question)

thanks!
1.S14
2.OEM fogs into an OEM bumper. They snapped, then bolted right up. No IC Pipes yet, so fitment wasn't an issue.
3.Inner Circle Fenders. The fenders fit good, but all the edges, particularly by the hood, are messed up. That's why they look further apart than they really are. I bought them like that, but will repair and paint them in the future. I think that the Inner Circle fenders are really good, but I still dont like fiberglass.
4.I could still probly hook you up with a wiring diagram anyways, not too hard to figure out. I'll find an S13 wiring diagram then figure it out. PM me
5.thanks
Old 02-22-2005, 12:27 PM   #19
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Day 3 is 90% online (have to plug in weights yet of old parts)

Does ANYONE have a wiring schematic for the S13-S15 lights?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #20
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
get me a pic of the rear of the light i can make a schemetic

just a quick to make sure projector is low beam right?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #21
Var
Post Whore!

Var is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of lightVar is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to Var
Damn Joe it's looking real sweet. I hope i'll see you at the track in March.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #22
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the head
get me a pic of the rear of the light i can make a schemetic

just a quick to make sure projector is low beam right?
Yes the projector is the low beam.

S15 Headlight plug pix:
http://www.360realms.com/S13-S15/S15...s/DCP_0442.JPG
http://www.360realms.com/S13-S15/S15...s/DCP_0443.JPG
http://www.360realms.com/S13-S15/S15...s/DCP_0444.JPG
http://www.360realms.com/S13-S15/S15...s/DCP_0445.JPG

Also, website updated with Day 3
www.360realms.com/S13-S15/
Old 02-23-2005, 12:43 PM   #23
the head
Nissanaholic!

Location: in a dark room mastering the art of typing with one hand
the head is making a name for him/her selfthe head is making a name for him/her self
Ok for the low beam connect the green wire in the lower plug to the low beam power side to the left side of your three prong s13 plug

high beam power goes to the to the left pin (closest to center) from the right side of the three prong S13 headlight plug

now the only thing left is the ground just run two wires into the center of the s13 plug and hook them to the other side of each bulb

as for the turn signals just run the wires up from your bumper markers and hook them in should be fairly simple

I may have the high and low beam wires on the s13 plug swapped around I am on the road right now and will be away from my car for a few weeks

just hook it up and worse case swap the power wires around if the wrong light illuminates
Old 03-02-2005, 12:39 PM   #24
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Page updated! =)
Old 03-05-2005, 08:58 PM   #25
oberkill
Zilvia Junkie

oberkill is an unknown quantity at this point
Yoshi,

I got my S15 conversion stuff today. I also have the IC fenders and they are exactly the same as yours. The passenger side doesnt look too bad but the driverside is way off. I bought the conversion off someone else who bought it for their car then decided not to do the swap. So I didnt choose any of the parts... lol Looks like its just going to take some patience and time to make the fenders fit but they are farther off then I expected. I will take some pics and post them as well. I think the Masa fenders have similar issues so the IC fenders are probably the better way to go. Make sure you post your wiring up!

Thanks for your pics, makes my life easier! lol

Alan
Old 03-06-2005, 02:59 AM   #26
drift freaq
R.I.P. Aya, always love

Trader Rating: (215)
drift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfectiondrift freaq is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 215 reviews
go go ichi go yo yo Yoshi oh hahahhahhahaha looking good drunk and Yoshi keep it up man

New Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebV1OnbRsw
Buy my mounts!
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/51531...ns-mounts.html
http://zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/317539...e-mouts-6.html
drift freaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:33 AM   #27
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Ok, I've got all my lights wired up EXCEPT for the turn signals.. .I'm just lost on those, can anyone help?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:09 AM   #28
Drunk Bastard
Zilvia FREAK!

the turn signals are pretty much straight forward. they share a ground with the parking bulbs and the connector on the headlight itself is a 3 pin. what you will need to do is cut the turn signal harness on your car (for the front turns, not for the side ones) and use spade connectors to connect them to the actual connectors on the headlights. if you follow the wires from the turn signal's bulb you will be able to tell which pin on the connector to hook it up to. of course you will need to wrap any exposed wires in electrical tape, etc. if/when you hook up your sidemarkers, then you will use the side turn signals for those.

hope that helps.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:07 AM   #29
Yoshi
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Bastard
the turn signals are pretty much straight forward. they share a ground with the parking bulbs and the connector on the headlight itself is a 3 pin. what you will need to do is cut the turn signal harness on your car (for the front turns, not for the side ones) and use spade connectors to connect them to the actual connectors on the headlights. if you follow the wires from the turn signal's bulb you will be able to tell which pin on the connector to hook it up to. of course you will need to wrap any exposed wires in electrical tape, etc. if/when you hook up your sidemarkers, then you will use the side turn signals for those.

hope that helps.
I'll get pix up later, but what you're saying is actually exactly what I've done... I only have 2 wires left, I thought, "well by process of elimination, obviously these go together" apparently not. I have the city lights and blinkers sharing a ground, same harness and all, should've been straight forward but no.

I even wired the blinkers to the city lights to make sure the bulbs worked, and sure enough, they're just fine, they just won't BLINK! I'll try to get some pix of the actual wiring tonight.
Old 03-07-2005, 12:54 PM   #30
JaeTea
Zilvia Addict

JaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really niceJaeTea is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to JaeTea
Wow, I'm really impressed by your work.

Since I've never done bodywork, how the hell are you supposed to get those fenders to line up??
JaeTea is offline   Reply With Quote