Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 12-09-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Matej
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (39)
Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 39 reviews
Billion dollar idea

Who can make something like this that would attach to the pop-up headlight motor knobs, and reach all the way to the cabin?
Preferably if a single knob could adjust both headlight motors together.

Matej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 AM   #2
Brian04
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (28)
Brian04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Why can't you just cut your brown wire and control them both simultaneously, and manually through the cabin?

I'll take my billion dollars now.
Brian04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:42 AM   #3
Matej
Post Whore!

Matej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfectionMatej is close to perfection
That was the first mod I did to my car. The wiring is old and ghastly though. The less wires the better. I have already replaced every component of the pop-up electrical system at least twice when troubleshooting it.
Old 12-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Brian04
Zilvia Addict

maybe third time's a charm?

i honestly see no simple way of manual adjustment through the cabin, without cutting a hole through the firewall
Old 12-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #5
Matej
Post Whore!

It works, for now. But still, it is silly how much extra wiring there is just to perform such a simple task.

Routing it to the cabin would be no problem. It could go through wherever the underhood harness or the hood release cable are routed through.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #6
Brian04
Zilvia Addict

Yeah, i was thinking something like a gear and pulley system, but i guess custom wiring works well too....
Old 12-09-2011, 02:43 AM   #7
TheRealSy90
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
TheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant futureTheRealSy90 has a brilliant future
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
This already exists. It's called the Pivot headlight controller.

*RARE* 180SX RX-7 Miata Pivot Headlight Controller Sleepy Eye JDM | eBay

TheRealSy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:04 AM   #8
lukeworx
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
lukeworx is a well-known jackass
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
240sx Sleepy Eye DIY - YouTube

diy version if any use
lukeworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:06 AM   #9
sharpe_corners
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (29)
sharpe_corners is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 29 reviews
I have a BNIB Pivot HL controller kit, with wiring, instructions etc, missing the unit, va240dude has one to match.....
sharpe_corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:33 AM   #10
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
Yeah something tells me that MATEJ is well aware of the cutting the brown wire trick and of the pivot controller, and that he is also aware that neither work very well due to their electronic nature. Hence the reasoning behind a remote way of controlling your headlights motors manually and mechanically from the comfort of your cabin.

I'm thinking e-brake cable.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:45 AM   #11
harrypotter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (19)
harrypotter is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
What is the point in controlling them?
Old 12-09-2011, 04:48 AM   #12
ayuaddict
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (9)
ayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfectionayuaddict is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ayuaddict
because power is nothing without control.
ayuaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #13
nissanfreak317
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (18)
nissanfreak317 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
What is the point in controlling them?
I'm assuming looks. Though the front left can be a good place to increase air flow to the intake.

Anyway,

I think there are three things working against you there. First, that's a really long run to get something to go that won't just turn and turn at one end, twist, and do nothing on the other end. Second, those knobs spin super fast when you flip the headlight switch to actually use your headlights, that might pose an issue unless you can disengage the cable. And third, it will be expensive.

Due to issues stated above, I wouldn't go mechanical all the way, I would run wires up there and put little motors that engage/disengage each time I wanted to adjust he height of the headlights. It would maintain oem functions, allow on the fly adjustments, and be kind of standalone from the factory wiring crap. But again, would you pay $400 for a kit like that when all you have to really do is pop your hood and spin a knob by hand?

P.s. anybody ever get a close look at those remote bottle openers for nitrous tanks? That may be a good place to start.

Or better yet, what if we just found a way to make a better controller for the factory headlights? That may be the cheapest/easiest.
nissanfreak317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:16 AM   #14
Bushido
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
Bushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfectionBushido is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Problem with the brown wire cut on my car is that one headlight moves faster than the other resulting in uneven and retarded looking sleepies
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 AM   #15
thatdrifterguy
Zilvia Junkie

thatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to beholdthatdrifterguy is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuaddict View Post
I'm thinking e-brake cable.
so that everytime you release the ebrake, you get sleepy eyes! drift points! lol jk
thatdrifterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 AM   #16
MidwestMyriad
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (20)
MidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her selfMidwestMyriad is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushido View Post
Problem with the brown wire cut on my car is that one headlight moves faster than the other resulting in uneven and retarded looking sleepies
Yep. For a while, I would just take a philips screwdriver and manually adjust the lights. Can't be popping the hood every night though to readjust.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #17
axiomatik
Post Whore!

axiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfectionaxiomatik is close to perfection
^^^^ Don't drive at night. Problem solved.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
EnemyS15
Nissanaholic!

Trader Rating: (14)
EnemyS15 is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
This idea is worth ohhhhhhhh ............. about Tree Fiddy.
EnemyS15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #19
CamryOnBronze
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (131)
CamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud ofCamryOnBronze has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 131 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CamryOnBronze
RHU-M #1 Matej!

It's only four wires. haha If I can wire it up, anyone can. I guess the way it functions is pretty jenky though. For sure better than cranking by hand.

CamryOnBronze.com
CamryOnBronze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 AM   #20
Broadfield
Zilvia.net Advertiser

Trader Rating: (163)
Broadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to allBroadfield is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 163 reviews
That's what I always liked about my STi... it had a headlight adjustment knob in the cabin. It was only 4 preset positions, but it was useful nonetheless.

Follow Along For My Latest Work
My Portfolio
Please Share
Check Out My Builds
Broadfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM   #21
conrad_s13.5
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (6)
conrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her selfconrad_s13.5 is making a name for him/her self
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
i love the wiring version,...lol

id always double-tap the headlight position button when i saw other 240s / cool cars / or at the track,. and you could get one of the lights to 'wink'
Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #22
codyace
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (58)
codyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfectioncodyace is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 58 reviews
Send a message via AIM to codyace
I think by the time you find a long enough adjustment knob/cable, the cost would be prohibitive to a point.

Want Air Conditioning in your SR20 Swapped car? Check out www.sr20acbrackets.com for more information!

Quest Alternator Conversions for SR20! Check my Group Buy!

Tired of lousy internal gates? Go external wastegate with one of my manifolds, Check out my group buy
codyace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #23
Om1kron
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (15)
Om1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfectionOm1kron is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
why not relocate the motors? why manual adjustment? and why is that even an idea anyone cares about.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #24
ILoveMyRHS13
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (25)
ILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfectionILoveMyRHS13 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Send a message via AIM to ILoveMyRHS13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealSy90 View Post
This already exists. It's called the Pivot headlight controller.

*RARE* 180SX RX-7 Miata Pivot Headlight Controller Sleepy Eye JDM | eBay

I was going to recommend this.
ILoveMyRHS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
didderson
Zilvia Member

Trader Rating: (6)
didderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enoughdidderson will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to didderson
It's possible to fix a Lazy headlight. Depending on which one moves slowest, you have to unbolt the swingarm from the electric motor and match it to the other side when both are in resting position.
Once this is done usually they're pretty close, and all that is left is the max height adjustment via the double sided (toe rod-like) ball joint links.

I've done it w/ both my cars to get the sleepies in synch.

What I REALLY want to know is.. My left headlight will sag 1/8" after driving (with pbm coils) for a decent amount of time.
If I flip the lights up and down they reset and the left one is perfect height again.

I think this is due to the magnets in the electric motor being old and unable to hold the light steady with stiff coilovers.
I should make a video about this to explain. It's been bugging me since I retrofitted hid's... Ends up making the left cutoff sag after a drive. wah wahhh.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #26
mattack69
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (3)
mattack69 will become famous soon enoughmattack69 will become famous soon enoughmattack69 will become famous soon enoughmattack69 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mattack69 Send a message via MSN to mattack69 Send a message via Yahoo to mattack69
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayuaddict View Post
because power is nothing without control.
Shit made me LOL so hard

Old 12-09-2011, 02:57 PM   #27
lflkajfj12123

Trader Rating: (20)
lflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfectionlflkajfj12123 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
here's my idea don't mind the shittiest drawing ever

tie two pieces of fish line the the motor knob somehow... punch a hole through it on both sides or something

then tie the line around clockwise and the other line counter clockwise

route them to the cabin and you can just pull on the lines to turn the knob left or right which will raise the headlights up or down

they would automatically rewind themselves aslong as you get clever and make the knob into something like what sewing thread is rolled on
lflkajfj12123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #28
Brian04
Zilvia Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post
this is like de-evolution of technology
Old 12-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #29
blingbling
Zilvia Junkie

blingbling is an unknown quantity at this point
Soaps gettin his creativity on
blingbling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #30
mysharonna
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (14)
mysharonna is an unknown quantity at this point
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by s0apgun View Post

tie two pieces of fish line the the motor knob somehow... punch a hole through it on both sides or something

then tie the line around clockwise and the other line counter clockwise

route them to the cabin and you can just pull on the lines to turn the knob left or right which will raise the headlights up or down

they would automatically rewind themselves aslong as you get clever and make the knob into something like what sewing thread is rolled on

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE??!?!
mysharonna is offline   Reply With Quote