Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum

Go Back   Zilvia.net Forums | Nissan 240SX (Silvia) and Z (Fairlady) Car Forum > General > Chat

Chat General Discussion About The Nissan 240SX and Nissan Z Cars

Old 10-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
drivinsidewayz86
Leaky Injector

Trader Rating: (0)
drivinsidewayz86 is on the path to ruindrivinsidewayz86 is on the path to ruindrivinsidewayz86 is on the path to ruin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rb in s14 handling questions

hey im just wondering if anyone could help me i need some advice from someone that actually owns a s14 with a rb26 i have been getting mixed reviews from people i want to now does the rb26 mess the hole car up with handling and such or is it still recoveralbe by doing weight reduction and having a fine tuned suspension for drifting and the rwd conversion i heard that if you use a rb25 oil pan that it messes up the oil flow and will blow the motor eventually is this just bs or is there a problem with the pan if not ill just do the rb25
drivinsidewayz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #2
OptionZero
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (2)
OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
there's a contradiction here:

You care enough to imply that weight balance matters to you

yet

Not knowledgeable enough to research on your own or set up your suspension. Assuming you can actually afford to do an RB swap, you should probably have enough money to get set up your suspension (fully adjustable suspension, corner weighting, blah blah).
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:55 PM   #3
markyboi
Zilvia FREAK!

markyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to beholdmarkyboi is a splendid one to behold
punctuation pls!

coz it seems like you just said rwd conversion
markyboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Gavster
Zilvia Junkie

Trader Rating: (4)
Gavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfectionGavster is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Gavster
This difference is not so much that it cant be counter-acted by gasoline, to give you an idea of how minimal it is...I relocated my RB in an attempt to bring the car to 50/50....
Old 10-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #5
EJ253
Zilvia FREAK!

EJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to EJ253 Send a message via MSN to EJ253
recessed RB FTMFW

and according to the RB FAQ sticky, the RB26 is a similar weight to a KA24DE with a turbo kit (ie 150 more than SR)
but they might have been talking about RB20 or RB25. so dont quote me on that
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showpost.php...&postcount=101

maybe driftfreaq will chime in and help out

to the OP:
you sound like a dreamer.
why dont you lurk for a while until you figure things out.

DriftUtah | UtahNissans | MySpace | I <3 Drifting. Keep it Real.
Secret Society
EJ253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #6
!Zar!
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (27)
!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection!Zar! is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
All the weight is in the tranny. so it'll be centered.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
revat619
Retired General

Trader Rating: (7)
revat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfectionrevat619 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Zar! View Post
All the weight is in the tranny. so it'll be centered.

Exactly.

Its not an issue. Period.

I'm sure Kamin or driftfreaq will chime in soon enough.
Instagram: @rjsladerade
revat619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
racepar1
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (106)
racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 106 reviews
The RB26 is fuckin long though. I'm pretty sure it will throw off the weight balance a bit, but it would probably only be noticable to a very advanced driver. Also you could probably tune your suspension so the car feels about the same. Personally I think the RB motors are overkill for the 240's, you just don't need all that power and torque.
racepar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 PM   #9
S13Leprechaun
Zilvia FREAK!

S13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant futureS13Leprechaun has a brilliant future
^^fuck yes you god damn do.. hahaha... ur high.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #10
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
yep the weight is on the tranny don;t listen to this noob that posted on top of me I actually owned an RB powered car. it dosent fuck with weight all that much, I didn;t notice a big difference and the bit change that it had I liked it. the car seemed to respond allot better and wasn't as tail happy around the corners it gripped better.

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #11
racepar1
Post Whore!

racepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfectionracepar1 is close to perfection
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardabe View Post
yep the weight is on the tranny don;t listen to this noob that posted on top of me I actually owned an RB powered car. it dosent fuck with weight all that much, I didn;t notice a big difference and the bit change that it had I liked it. the car seemed to respond allot better and wasn't as tail happy around the corners it gripped better.
Hello, I said that the handling difference wouldn't be very noticable and could be adjusted out of the car! You just said basically the same thing! The only difference is that I have no need or craving for a motor with a 600+hp potential because there is absolutely no way to put all that power to the ground effectively with a mid-weight rwd configuration. I'm all about grip, I don't give a fuck about drifting and big smokey burnouts.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
kouki_s14
Zilvia FREAK!

kouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfectionkouki_s14 is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to kouki_s14
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivinsidewayz86 View Post
hey im just wondering if anyone could help me i need some advice from someone that actually owns a s14 with a rb26 i have been getting mixed reviews from people i want to now does the rb26 mess the hole car up with handling and such or is it still recoveralbe by doing weight reduction and having a fine tuned suspension for drifting and the rwd conversion i heard that if you use a rb25 oil pan that it messes up the oil flow and will blow the motor eventually is this just bs or is there a problem with the pan if not ill just do the rb25

I did not noticed a handling change at all. You have to talk to RB guys about this, if you talk to most SR guys they will claim the RB throws off the weight balance when in reality they have NEVER driven an RB powered car. As others have said, most of the weight is in the transmission and with the right motor mounts, you will not be complaining.

As for the oil pan the stock RB26 one can be modified to clear the crossmember, but i have never heard of problems with using a RB25 pan.

There can be many factors that caused the motors to blow ie high Gs causing oil starvation. Also many RB26s that people get in the US are from R32s, R32 RB26s had a problem with the crankshaft(late model r32s, r33s and r34s did not have this issue). The portion of the crank that drove the oil pump wore down with time (life was shortened with high RPM driving and other stresses) and the oil pump simply stopped, causing bearing failures. Research some more and you'll find your answers.
kouki_s14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #13
LB.Motoring
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (1)
LB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfectionLB.Motoring is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to LB.Motoring
No problems with weight centering.............

Only the ones you have with grammar and spelling.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #14
Blackparade
Zilvia FREAK!

Blackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfectionBlackparade is close to perfection
I love the way my RB s13 handles.
Like a couple of people stated above me, you wont really be able to notice the difference. And if your an experienced driver, youll be able to adapt to whatever minor change there is. youll be fine!
Blackparade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #15
drivinsidewayz86
Leaky Injector

drivinsidewayz86 is on the path to ruindrivinsidewayz86 is on the path to ruindrivinsidewayz86 is on the path to ruin
thanks for the info on that well only got 2 more months to go and then mr rb26 will be in
Old 10-23-2007, 07:38 AM   #16
drivinsidewayz86
Leaky Injector

i just got one more questions anyone got any reliable places to get a motor me and 2 of my freinds where gunna buy from osako motors but after i got dont looking at there page i went back to type in at google and a huge link came up sayin dont buy from osako motors and it shower they sent some guy a b18 and the block was all fucked up and shit was missing anyone have an good thing to say about them
Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 AM   #17
CKAMC
Post Whore!

CKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfectionCKAMC is close to perfection
Quote:
i just got one more questions anyone got any reliable places to get a motor me and 2 of my freinds where gunna buy from osako motors but after i got dont looking at there page i went back to type in at google and a huge link came up sayin dont buy from osako motors and it shower they sent some guy a b18 and the block was all fucked up and shit was missing anyone have an good thing to say about them
try searching this site, you should find the same stories here as well.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:13 PM   #18
EJ253
Zilvia FREAK!

EJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfectionEJ253 is close to perfection
Quote:
thanks for the info on that well only got 2 more months to go and then mr rb26 will be in
2 months until the motor will be in the chassis
yet you dont even know where to order one from?

theres zilvia sponsors that sell jdm engines.
order from one of them

Secret Society
Old 10-23-2007, 05:18 PM   #19
bardabe
Post Whore!

Trader Rating: (10)
bardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfectionbardabe is close to perfection
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Send a message via AIM to bardabe
I know of 2 places here in SoCAl that I can gurantee they will get you a clean good motor. Ive bought well over 10 motorsets from them for friends, customers, and myself and only had 1 complain. He took care of me with no problems or butts. (it was my mom;s Auto H22 tranny making a funny noise) I took him the weird tranny gave me another one. done deal. really reputable guys www.jrautoparts.com is their website

Review Thread
bardabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:30 PM   #20
KA24DESOneThree
Post Whore!

KA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfectionKA24DESOneThree is close to perfection
Quote:
rwd conversion
What?

Let's see:
1. Weighs same as KA with turbo, aka HEAVY
2. Makes less power for the same money as an LS1, with a 150 pound weight gain
3. Longer than LS1, making for a higher polar moment, not to mention that intercooler chilling in the front bumper
4. Higher cG than LS1

Show me a sweeter handling S-chassis than one equipped with an NA engine, although a 500whp LS1 would be a bit of a handful.
KA24DESOneThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #21
OptionZero
Post Whore!

OptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfectionOptionZero is close to perfection
Send a message via AIM to OptionZero
turbo rotary? isn't the 13B like the size of a loaf of bread? (i kno i'm exaggerating)
OptionZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM   #22
EJ253
Zilvia FREAK!

500 hp LS motor wouldnt really be a stock LS1
maybe an LS7.

13Bs are small.
small and heavy... and explosive

Secret Society
Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #23
sideview_180sx
Zilvia FREAK!

Trader Rating: (3)
sideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to beholdsideview_180sx is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to sideview_180sx Send a message via Yahoo to sideview_180sx
www.2009gtr.com

go to sean morris blog. you have to look under advanced notes. he tells you why the early rb26 have an oil pump problem. also explains difference b/w N1 and Nismo oil pumps. Also gives a heads up about RBs creating alot of blow-by. Sean IMO pretty much is the most knowledgeable non-japanese guy in the US that knows the RB-powerplant.

I read some of it. It stated to run like 2KG more upfront of spring rate for street. ie 12/10 street. and for track ie r-compounds or DOT slicks an even rate like 10/10 or 12/12

formerly sideviewcivic
Save a Horse. Drift This Cowboy.
AirBag Club Member #0014
sideview_180sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 08:21 PM   #24
250sxdet
Zilvia Member

250sxdet will become famous soon enough250sxdet will become famous soon enough250sxdet will become famous soon enough
I know someone with an rb26dett for sale. I'm not sure which GTR it came out of, but it does have r34 turbos on it. It has a cracked piston. The price is 2500. Let me know if youre interested, ill give you more info.
250sxdet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:02 PM   #25
racepar1
Post Whore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptionZero View Post
turbo rotary? isn't the 13B like the size of a loaf of bread? (i kno i'm exaggerating)
Actually I read an article in Sport Compact Car magazine and a complete stock 13b out of an FD RX-7 weighs 425 pounds! A stock LS1 weighs 487 pounds that is only 62 pounds heavier. So while the 13b may look small in stock form it is actually quite heavy because of all the extra crap thas is attached to it (IE: turbos, manifolds, vacuum lines, smog equipment, pumps, and pulleys).
Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 PM   #26
s13coupedrfter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
s13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
If you don't own or driven a rb powered s chassis please be quiet and keep your worthless opinions to yourself. I love how this is becoming a ls1 debate too. As for the topic at hand, I love my rb25 coupe, the handling is great and the set-up can be adjusted to any drivers style with the right footwork tweeks. Almost half the weight is in the tranny so balance isn't as bad as all the non rb s chassis guys say it is. If you are going to ask how to set the suspension up you have to ask yourself this, what kind of driving am I going to do (grip/drift).

Checkout www.sykoperformance.com for more info

If you want to see a bad-ass rb26 s chassis youtube (D1 Kuroi) nuff said.

Last edited by s13coupedrfter; 10-24-2007 at 10:05 AM..
s13coupedrfter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:01 PM   #27
s13coupedrfter
Zilvia Addict

Trader Rating: (8)
s13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond reputes13coupedrfter has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yes rb's create alot of blow by. I installed a circuit sports catch can to remedy this problem but I didn't reinstall the restrictor plug in the intake line. My catch can overflowed and I had spy-hunter smoke screen. The restrictor plug is a cylinder shape that fits in the intake line which is about .5-.75" long has a diameter of .5-.75" and has a 1/8" hole in the center. This reduces the vacume pulled from the valve cover into the compressor. My buddy is machining a new one for me and will be installed tomorrow. After there should be no more spy-hunter.

If you want to know where exactly the plug is just feel for a hard bump in the flex line going from the exh. side valve cover to your intake pipe. Your not going to push that thing out so you will need a razor blade to cut it out.

I hope my lesson helps others from my mistake. I thought my turbo was done.
s13coupedrfter is offline   Reply With Quote